Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Not all no.

An honest attempt should be made, but not everyone will. And even some of those who do get rehabilitated, should still stay in jail the rest of their lives.
    Putin khuliyo

10+ Year Old Account
    Nah
    /10chars

As I've always said before, Jeffrey Dahmer is my example of someone that can't be rehabbed, and a poster boy for the death penalty.

No, most criminals cannot be rehabilitated.

Honestly i don't think any of the "serious" criminals can be rehabilitated properly.

They will always be ostracized from the society when they leave prison, regardless of what was their crime.

Job interviews, meeting new people, family relations... as soon as anyone hears you are a convicted criminal that served time they are just out of there.

All that plus the rotten character (psiho/emotional issues also) that led in the first place to committing a crime for me equals that a criminal is not able to rehabilitate.

Rapist, thief, murderer, violent assault... no normal civilized person would commit these acts, so people who are truly guilty of such crimes are usually beyond redemption.

Also to add that some people do not deserve a second chance.
    Killing a child in cold blood with a gun... wow, death penalty please.

In America, I think most of our serious criminals have a lot of mental problems that are hard to overcome. If the criminal was not to crazy to begin with before committing their crime, I think they can be rehabilitated. Sex offenders and violent criminals would be hard to rehabilitate.

Nope pedophiles are going to be pedophiles forever. I don't think any amount of treatment will change that. People like charles manson will still have a desire to kill and act out on it. It's who these people are.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    No, I do not think all can be. Some are scumbags and will go to their grave as such. Because they choose to be that way. :P
    Pretty much this. And there are criminals who have said they should never be let out of prison, as they'll just repeat their crimes.

Not a chance. Most people dont change that much. Some that do fall back into their old ways once they return to their old environment. Chances are a bit better with kids though.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    depends on the crime.

Non-violent crimes where it doesn't hurt anyone? Yeah sure.
    Murderers, Rapists, etc? A bullet in their head out back.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, you can rehabilitate them into a tiny jar full of their ashes.
    You're getting exactly what you deserve.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TITAN308 View Post
    We'll use a recent story just for the sake of discussion:

http://www.wapt.com/article/boy-insi...-theft/9871713

Cliff Notes: Teens steal a car with a 6 year old in the back. Once they realized what has happened they shoot and kill the child.

I'm also curious if any charges are pending against the parent who left the child in the car in the first place.

That aside, I'm curious if anyone realistically thinks these teenagers can be rehabilitated, or at the very least, the shooter. If you do, why do you feel that way? Opinion or studies welcome.
    If we had the proper tools, the right people and the right words, perhaps. But we don't.

We medicate and treat all things, both mental and physical illness. A schizo gets meds so the voices stop. A drug addict gets rehabilitation to get off the drugs. An amputee gets crutches/wheelchair/prosthesis. Getting a criminal to function "normally" again is doable for most, though in some cases it requires a kind of effort, tools, money and people that we don't have or don't want to spend on such an effort depending on the criminal.

I say this as someone who's known former addicts and former criminals. THeir stories have many things in common on how they changed their life. But those things are usually difficult and involve people in a huge capacity, people who are in a system that is uncaring and dismissive, even hateful.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Dracula View Post
    depends on the crime.

Non-violent crimes where it doesn't hurt anyone? Yeah sure.
    Murderers, Rapists, etc? A bullet in their head out back.
    A murder isn't black and white either. You could defend yourself or kill someone for a reason you considered just at the time, and still be convicted a murderer.
    Soldiers are hired killers. Sanctioned government murderers. They get away with killing all the time because we've deemed it justifiable. But your enemy usually disagrees and will deem their enemies murderers that they could never forgive.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by triplesdsu View Post
    Some that do fall back into their old ways once they return to their old environment. Chances are a bit better with kids though.
    And 99% of the time that's because they have nothing else and nobody else to turn to. They fall back into it because there's nothing else for them and the world rejects them. Of course they fall back, when the only friends they have are other criminals. Of course they fall back when their lives are in shambles, they can't find jobs let alone keep one for the previous mentioned reasons. So they're also poor.
    That keeps them in criminality.

Bring them out of it. Give them a new place to be, with new people and many more will rehabilitate properly. But they also need guidance, they need help.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Noomz View Post
    A murder isn't black and white either. You could defend yourself or kill someone for a reason you considered just at the time, and still be convicted a murderer.
    Soldiers are hired killers. Sanctioned government murderers. They get away with killing all the time because we've deemed it justifiable. But your enemy usually disagrees and will deem their enemies murderers that they could never forgive.
    These kind of Arguments are always poor. Defending yourself and someone dying isn't Murder. Murder is premeditated. Killing someone that you think is "just" is still murder. Soldiers is an entirely different thing again, since if a Soldier kills a Non-combatant on purpose he will be court martialed.

Comparing combat deaths to civilians murdering each other is idiotic.

No. Some people are rotten to the core.

The Unstoppable Force Friendlyimmolation's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    The Dreadfort, or Korriban. You never know.
    depends on the criminal. Some people belong in prison and if not there a padded cell.
    Quote Originally Posted by WoWKnight65 View Post
    That's same excuse from you and so many others on this website and your right some of threads do bully high elf fans to a point where they might end up losing their minds to a point of a mass shooting.
    Holy shit lol

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Dracula View Post
    These kind of Arguments are always poor. Defending yourself and someone dying isn't Murder. Murder is premeditated. Killing someone that you think is "just" is still murder. Soldiers is an entirely different thing again, since if a Soldier kills a Non-combatant on purpose he will be court martialed.

Comparing combat deaths to civilians murdering each other is idiotic.
    I know what kind of people you refer to when you say murderers. But I think the definition of a murderer can get a bit loose.

Court martialed like the helicopter crew that in cold blood mocked the deaths of civilians they gunned down as they were trying to save each other?
    Did we court martial all the people who bombed civilians in WW2? Millions dead. Men, women, children, indiscriminately bombed with the express purpose of just killing people. We took the losers of the war to court, but the winners were hailed as heroes for their slaughter.

Anyway that's a different can of worms.

Quote Originally Posted by Alydael View Post
    No.

I have known some criminals and there was no way they would ever be rehabilitated.

Some of them actually considered crime their "job" and showed basically no inclination of:
    1) Stopping
    2) that anything they were doing was wrong.

So no, I don't imagine those guys will ever be rehabilitated.
    I'm in the same boat as you (I know people like that). Some people just don't give a crap. Can't help people who don't want it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Probably not, but we should try.
    10850k (10c 20t) @ all-core 5GHz @ 1.250v | EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra Gaming | 32GB DDR4 3200 | 1TB M.2 OS/Game SSD | 4TB 7200RPM Game HDD | 10TB 7200 RPM Storage HDD | ViewSonic XG2703-GS - 27" IPS 1440p 165Hz Native G-Sync | HP Reverb G2 VR Headset

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Noomz View Post
    I know what kind of people you refer to when you say murderers. But I think the definition of a murderer can get a bit loose.
    the unlawful premeditated killing of one human being by another. Doesn't get much more clear cut than that.