Page 1 of 8
... LastLast
    Deleted

Talking The Conceptual Penis as a Social Construct: A Sokal-Style Hoax on Gender Studies

https://www.cogentoa.com/article/10....17.1330439.pdf

http://www.skeptic.com/reading_room/...ender-studies/

So, someone made the effort to make a "paper" that is as much garbage as possible (yup, even MORE garbage than the usual gender study papers, which says A LOT) - and it got published

The abstract is a fucking nonsensical mess of buzzwords.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by KrazyK923 View Post
    The abstract is a fucking nonsensical mess of buzzwords.
    So just like all other gender studies papers then.

10+ Year Old Account
    Uncommon Premium
    Gender Studies, and anyone who cares about this shit: IS SHIT

If only I knew my penis was a social construct isomorphic to performative toxic masculinity! I just thought it was that thing I pissed out of and had good times with.

I'm so enlightened now!
    Last edited by KrazyK923; 2017-05-20 at 09:33 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    So a paper that essentially says penis are evil? sounds like a normal gender studies paper.

For some reason this does not surprise me at all .

Deleted
    It's funny to make jokes about it. But then you realize what universities/colleges have become and you just wanna suck your thumb and cry.

I actually used to get emails from my college where they were talking about ultra liberal shit and presenting it as a fact. They're full-on indoctrination facilities now. Many times I was tempted to mail them a picture of my Republican membership card.
    Last edited by mmocb78b025c1c; 2017-05-20 at 09:48 AM.

That sophistic abstract is amazing, perfectly captures so much of the bullshit we see so often.
    I am the lucid dream
    Uulwi ifis halahs gag erh'ongg w'ssh

This is hilarious and sad at the same time. How did it actually pass a peer review? The process must not be anything like what my sister goes through for publishing a Marine science article, as she has had articles rejected for leaving out minor details and had to rewrite and this is pure nonsense. I wonder if the criteria for publishing is simply to hand in a body of work.
    Last edited by darsh333; 2017-05-20 at 09:56 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Credit to the writer once I started reading I read it all. It was like reading the lines between a train wreck but I found it hilariously entertaining.... xD
    I love Warcraft, I dislike WoW

Unsubbed since January 2021, now a Warcraft fan from a distance

Through detailed poststructuralist discursive criticism and the example of climate
    change
    [...]
    That these publishers didn't realize what they were publishing ..

Yeah make it your cause in 2018, I think its a wonderful idea, it will draw us altogether.

Quote Originally Posted by darsh333 View Post
    This is hilarious and sad at the same time. How did it actually pass a peer review? The process must not be anything like what my sister goes through for publishing a Marine science article, as she has had articles rejected for leaving out minor details and had to rewrite and this is pure nonsense. I wonder if the criteria for publishing is simply to hand in a body of work.
    I guess they get their colleagues to peer review it, or the journal it is published in has such a low impact factor that they'll literally take anything with an Abstract and Conclusion. Makes a mockery over the peer review process (which I have also been through several times myself, with rewrites etc) and harms science as a hole.
    RETH

" not as an anatomical
    organ but as a social construct isomorphic to performative toxic masculinity"

Reading this whatever it is is kinda funny. But its sad people waste time and money on stuff like this.

The "About the Authors" section is nearly as hilarious as the abstract. My favorite line:

While neither uses
    Twitter, both finding the platform overly reductive,
    they incorporate careful reading of the relevant
    academic literature with observations made by
    searching trending hashtags to derive important
    social truths with high impact.
    TIL

Trending hashtags are social truths.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mardhyn View Post
    Now this is just blatant trolling, at least before you had the credibility of maybe being stupid.
    Quote Originally Posted by SourceOfInfection View Post
    Sometimes you gotta stop sniffing used schoolgirl panties and start being a fucking samurai.

Just on the topic of social constructs: why do we assume that if something is a social construct that therefore it by definition is not physically/objectively real?

Humanity is doomed we need a mass extinction event
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    In other countries like Canada the population has chosen to believe in hope, peace and tolerance. This we can see from the election of the Honourable Justin Trudeau who stood against the politics of hate and divisiveness.

Gender Studies: the least consequential pursuit of knowledge in the history of man.
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    An alcoholic fighting his addiction is fighting a jihad.