Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Blastfizzle View Post
    https://www.cogentoa.com/article/10....17.1330439.pdf

http://www.skeptic.com/reading_room/...ender-studies/

So, someone made the effort to make a "paper" that is as much garbage as possible (yup, even MORE garbage than the usual gender study papers, which says A LOT) - and it got published
    Someones triggered.
    Might have been the authors goal all along.

10+ Year Old Account
    ...can anyone say word salad?

Quote Originally Posted by Boomzy View Post
    Is social science really science though?

I hope not, because then basically anything is science. Me claiming unicorns exist because of the patriarchy is science at that point.
    Social sciences are by definition science, and I do believe they are playing an important roll ( as they did in the past couple of centuries) in development of modern societies.
    Someone publishing crap doesn't make that crap part of the field that paper is claiming to be related to though.

Too long did not read

I get the premise, it's more about toxic masculinity than the penis itself which is more of a metaphor. Article is a trainwreck, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Raybourne View Post
    Just on the topic of social constructs: why do we assume that if something is a social construct that therefore it by definition is not physically/objectively real?
    We (sociologists) don't. Durkhiem basically used this as proof of "God" (which is basically, to him, Society).

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Video Games View Post
    Ah i see i see. So if every guy fapped at the same time they could make the world turn into a desert in a matter of minutes?
    Exactly. Obviously men should be shackled or get their penises removed to stop this coming madness.

People forget that academia is as much a business and media as newspapers and clickbait articles are, when it gets down to it. It's argumentation for the sake of people who want to read arguments.

You clicked.

Greatb8m8 or whatever they say these days.
    Last edited by Firefall; 2017-05-20 at 04:13 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    "After completing the paper, we read it carefully to ensure it didn’t say anything meaningful, and as neither one of us could determine what it is actually about, we deemed it a success."

This is awesome
    give up dat booty
    Quote Originally Posted by Pendra View Post
    <3
    For the matriarchy.

I wonder if calling this toxic femininity would arouse the same reaction.
    "It doesn't matter if you believe me or not but common sense doesn't really work here. You're mad, I'm mad. We're all MAD here."

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by nalle View Post
    Exactly. Obviously men should be shackled or get their penises removed to stop this cuming madness.
    Fixed. 1010

Quote Originally Posted by Kontinuum View Post
    So this latest example shows gender studies is as much garbage as physics, medicine and IT?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    This thread is more about: "People write a fake article and actually find a journal trashy enough to publish it"
    I think a lot of people are missing the whole "fake paper intentionally written to be garbage" part
    give up dat booty
    <3
    For the matriarchy.

LMAO, what's worse is that this is a joke paper. I can't believe they found someone so dumb or desñerate to publish it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    And equally important the fact that it was published in a garbage journal. Now if the garbage paper had made it in a highly ranked journal (though tbh none of the journals in the field of gender studies are particularly highly ranked but still) then we'd have something to talk about.
    True, it's more of a calling out of the specific journal that agreed to publish them (and the one that rejected them but recommended the journal that accepted) and the process by which that journal functions and accepts papers than a critique of journals as a whole. Still funny to read though
    give up dat booty
    <3
    For the matriarchy.

This just proves that if you write enough unintelligible BS in one document, it will be praised by people that won't admit they can't understand it.

Quote Originally Posted by Blastfizzle View Post
    https://www.cogentoa.com/article/10....17.1330439.pdf

http://www.skeptic.com/reading_room/...ender-studies/

So, someone made the effort to make a "paper" that is as much garbage as possible (yup, even MORE garbage than the usual gender study papers, which says A LOT) - and it got published
    https://www.cogentoa.com/

I've never heard of this before, anyone know anything it? Them publishing this paper seems like a good way to tell that it doesn't actually do, quote "Each Cogent OA title offers the highest standards of peer review, overseen by expert editors and editorial boards. " Lol

"this paper will challenge the prevailing and damaging social trope that
    penises are best understood as the male sexual organ and reassign it a more fitting
    role as a type of masculine performance."

"You're being such a dick today!"
    "Thank you!"

I also love the line about a man who does not use his penis can scarcely be said to have one at all.

"...is one defined upon a vector of
    male cultural machismo braggadocio, with the conceptual penis playing the roles of subject, object,
    and verb of action."
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

Quote Originally Posted by HumbleDuck View Post
    Social sciences are by definition science, and I do believe they are playing an important roll ( as they did in the past couple of centuries) in development of modern societies.
    Someone publishing crap doesn't make that crap part of the field that paper is claiming to be related to though.
    At best they're pseudosciences. They don't have true experiments, for one. Their theories are a lot less empirical, objective, and are harder to falsify.