Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    I usually dont to not go see a movie but dont go see this movie. Let it die. Wait until its on dvd/streams/whatever, skip 90% of the movie and be glad you didnt have to sit through the rest

The good, there is a xenomorph, the trailers were amazing. Bad? Absolutely everything else. And not running out of budget/time/story quirk. Its just straight up bad and has made me lose faith in the movie industry.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Arrowstormen View Post
    I don't personally agree that the choices they made were that dumb for the most part. For example, the captain looking into the egg at David's behest didn't seem implausible to me, as he at this point had little reason to think David might actually outright murder him, and eggs with creatures jumping up into people's faces aren't exactly common..
    Most of the people in the movie were too dumb to live. The longer the movie went on, the dumber the deaths got.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

I thought it was enjoyable. However they dropped the ball with the reveal that David replaced Walter. The film should have ended with just David entering the sleeping colonist bay without confirming anything.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RampageBW1 View Post
    I thought it was enjoyable. However they dropped the ball with the reveal that David replaced Walter. The film should have ended with just David entering the sleeping colonist bay without confirming anything.
    Saw it yesterday, somewhat agree. It makes it more of a cliffhanger than it should've been. But at the same time, I can understand why they did it, because when the next movie comes out and it's made clear at the beginning it was David, then people that didn't catch on that it was him and not Walter would think it was a retcon or an ass pull. My main question is...what exactly happened between David and Walter? It seems like it's Walter's body. Since they're both androids, I think it's at least conceivable that David found a way to upload himself into Walter or make them swap bodies.

I was also hoping we would've found out more about the motivations of the Engineers from Prometheus (ie, why it seemed that they wanted to destroy Earth). All we have are speculations. But it seems that David just wiped them all out (at least the ones on their home world) without even asking any questions. It's possible the Engineers are extinct now, which would explain why none are seen in the later films. It's possible that there are a few that survived by being off the planet at the time though.
    Last edited by Stormspark; 2017-05-20 at 01:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Akaihiryuu View Post
    Saw it yesterday, somewhat agree. It makes it more of a cliffhanger than it should've been. But at the same time, I can understand why they did it, because when the next movie comes out and it's made clear at the beginning it was David, then people that didn't catch on that it was him and not Walter would think it was a retcon or an ass pull. My main question is...what exactly happened between David and Walter? It seems like it's Walter's body. Since they're both androids, I think it's at least conceivable that David found a way to upload himself into Walter or make them swap bodies.

I was also hoping we would've found out more about the motivations of the Engineers from Prometheus (ie, why it seemed that they wanted to destroy Earth). All we have are speculations. But it seems that David just wiped them all out (at least the ones on their home world) without even asking any questions. It's possible the Engineers are extinct now, which would explain why none are seen in the later films. It's possible that there are a few that survived by being off the planet at the time though.
    He didn't swap bodies. They look exactly alike.

If you pay attention during the scene where David first tries to kill Walter, Walter's wounds healed themselves fairly fast. Then we later see David needing stitches on his face. If David swapped bodies with Walter, he wouldn't need to staple the wounds on his face shut. Which is why I think the whole thing on the ship unneeded, when you saw David getting stitches, you knew he was David and not Walter. The movie should have ended when they got back to the ship.

If you pay attention during the scene where David first tries to kill Walter, Walter's wounds healed themselves fairly fast. Then we later see David needing stitches on his face. If David swapped bodies with Walter, he wouldn't need to staple the wounds on his face shut. Which is why I think the whole thing on the ship unneeded, when you saw David getting stitches, you knew he was David and not Walter. The movie should have ended when they got back to the ship.
    But the wound on his chin where he was stabbed with the Nail by Ripleyreplacement vanished. Which I consider deliberatly decieving the the audience.

This Movie was bad. Shockingly bad. While the acting was excellent the story was both extremly predictable and outright insulting to fans of the Xenomorph. The (probably) highlytrained crew of the ship acts like they didin't recieve any training whatsoever. Foreign Planet? No need for a sealed suit. Dude needs to fly a complicated and dangerous maneuvre that could endanger the crews survival, plus that of the colonists? Tell him his wife died right befor that. Trapped extremly aggressive Alien that just ate the face of your collegue in the med bay? Reopen the door to shoot it on your own. Strange Android who just wanted to befriend the hostile lifeform that was eating your collegue wants to show you something? Sure, follow him into a dark corner. Lady was just almost raped by Android that looks exactly like the Android you befriended. Now one Android comes back out of the temple after the two were fighting. Make an atempt to find out which one he is? Nope. Just trust him. Let yourself be guided by this guy in a fight with the Alien - twice.

Now, I really enjoyed the Soundtrack and cinematography, aswell as the acting. Michael Fassbender is probably one of the redeeming factors of the movie. But the rest was just plain stupid. People say it's smarter than Prometheus - it isn't. At all. The supposed scientsits are just as dumb as the supposed trained crew of humanitys first colony ship.

And the by far worst thing this movie does is piss on the myth of the Xenomorph. What is it? Where does it come from? Well, now we know. An Android fucked around with a Bioweapon and engineered it in a cave, because the little bitch thinks humanity doesn't deserve to live. In 10 years. He engineers the Xenomorph in 10 years. With no laboratory. It also takes minutes for a Xenomorph to gestate, from facehugger to fully grown drone. That doesn't bother me that much, as the timing has always be sketchy, allthough, when you can see it grow on screen, you start to ask yourself where does it take the mass from to grow that rapid (and I'm talking about tstraight guys penis who accidently walks into a Victoria's Secret model dressing room getting erect quick.) You can literally see it grow from chihuauasized to labradorsized to humansized in one scene.

Also, while the movie was gory, there was 0 Horror and suspense in it. People get eaten, ripped apart, have their chest bursted... The Alien spends most of it's time out in the open, visible, in plain sight. The audience always knows where it is, to a point where you actually have a first person Xenomorph experience. Not that they used that cleverly to show it creeping up on someone, no, it just runs through a corridor like a gerbil.

Fuck. This. Movie.

10+ Year Old Account

I think the ending was meant convey dread and helplessness. We have Daniels putting faith in and trust in [I]Walter[/I] and then right before she goes to sleep, and possibly her dying memory, she learns that [I]Walter[/I] is David. The very thing she risked her life to stop from happening is going to happen and she there is absolutely nothing she can do about it. I feel like it should have ended with her passing out in her pod. Everything after that felt anti-climatic.

The problem is that David is so poorly written or he must have some component that makes people lost 100 IQ points whenever they are around him.

All you people are talking about david this walter that? isnt the title of this fucking movie "ALIENS:covenant"?? was there no alien other than the one showed in the youtube trailer?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Skulltaker View Post

Fuck. This. Movie.
    It feels lazy and I also noticed just about every flaw you pointed out from Why they went to a planet without any suits to the captain (I decided to forget his name) just carelessly follows David into a room full of eggs AFTER he knows David's connection to the whatever you want to call the protoaliens. Even the Alien was lazy. Since when is it that easy to get rid of one of them?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Leyre View Post
    All you people are talking about david this walter that? isnt the title of this fucking movie "ALIENS:covenant"?? was there no alien other than the one showed in the youtube trailer?
    Almost all of the Aliens screen time is in the trailers. If you came for the xenomorph then you need to skip 80% of the movie. Doesn't really matter because nothing important happens before that anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Skulltaker View Post
    And the by far worst thing this movie does is piss on the myth of the Xenomorph. What is it? Where does it come from? Well, now we know. An Android fucked around with a Bioweapon and engineered it in a cave, because the little bitch thinks humanity doesn't deserve to live. In 10 years. He engineers the Xenomorph in 10 years. With no laboratory. It also takes minutes for a Xenomorph to gestate, from facehugger to fully grown drone. That doesn't bother me that much, as the timing has always be sketchy, allthough, when you can see it grow on screen, you start to ask yourself where does it take the mass from to grow that rapid (and I'm talking about tstraight guys penis who accidently walks into a Victoria's Secret model dressing room getting erect quick.) You can literally see it grow from chihuauasized to labradorsized to humansized in one scene.

Also, while the movie was gory, there was 0 Horror and suspense in it. People get eaten, ripped apart, have their chest bursted... The Alien spends most of it's time out in the open, visible, in plain sight. The audience always knows where it is, to a point where you actually have a first person Xenomorph experience. Not that they used that cleverly to show it creeping up on someone, no, it just runs through a corridor like a gerbil.

Fuck. This. Movie.
    Personally I think we're looking too much in to David replicating the means of creating the face hugger. Assuming David is responsible for all the eggs we see on LV-426 requires David discovering the derelict's warning beacon and intentionally diverting Covenant in order to create a trap for any poor unfortunate souls that would head in that system. But do we even know if LV-426 is between the planet in this movie and Covenant's intended destination? And why would David waste valuable subjects just to create a trap that he would have no idea would work?

David is just working with the materials left behind by the Engineers and then taking credit. For all we know, the Derelict ship on LV-426 also came to the same conclusion David reached. And about no laboratory. These Derelicts are more likely to be space labs than anything else, so David may have used the ship for his experiments and just moved his finished products to his home.

Though, I am not saying this movie is great, no way no how. It's like a 6/10 at best. For what it's worth, I thought the question this movie was supposed to answer was "is Xenomorph a weapon?" Not "who created it?"
    Last edited by RampageBW1; 2017-05-20 at 09:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by pacox View Post
    It feels lazy and I also noticed just about every flaw you pointed out from Why they went to a planet without any suits to the captain (I decided to forget his name) just carelessly follows David into a room full of eggs AFTER he knows David's connection to the whatever you want to call the protoaliens. Even the Alien was lazy. Since when is it that easy to get rid of one of them?

- - - Updated - - -

Almost all of the Aliens screen time is in the trailers. If you came for the xenomorph then you need to skip 80% of the movie. Doesn't really matter because nothing important happens before that anyway.
    Damn :/ guess ill stay with the comics then

Quote Originally Posted by rampagebw1 View Post
    personally i think we're looking too much in to david replicating the means of creating the face hugger. Assuming david is responsible for all the eggs we see on lv-428 requires david discovering the derelict's warning beacon and intentionally diverting covenant in order to create a trap for any poor unfortunate souls that would head in that system. But do we even know if lv-428 is between the planet in this movie and covenant's intended destination? And why would david waste valuable subjects just to create a trap that he would have no idea would work?

David is just working with the materials left behind by the engineers and then taking credit. For all we know, the derelict ship on lv-428 also came to the same conclusion david reached. And about no laboratory. These derelicts are more likely to be space labs than anything else, so david may have used the ship for his experiments and just moved his finished products to his home.

though, i am not saying this movie is great, no way no how. It's like a 6/10 at best. For what it's worth, i thought the question this movie was supposed to answer was "is xenomorph a weapon?" not "who created it?"

lv-426 .

"Would you please let me join your p-p-party?

Quote Originally Posted by Pvt Hudson View Post
    lv-426 .
    Thanks for the correction, I couldn't remember if it was supposed to be 426 or 428.

Very meh. It wasn't bad, just very predictable. I actually like Prometheus better.
    "Join S.H.I.E.L.D. Travel to exotic distant lands. Meet exciting unusual people... and kill them."
    -Hunter, Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.

I have not seen it yet, but it looks like I will hate all the characters in it except David and/or the other David look a like robot. I wont care if the aliens kill them.

Quote Originally Posted by Nihilist74 View Post
    I have not seen it yet, but it looks like I will hate all the characters in it except David and/or the other David look a like robot. I wont care if the aliens kill them.
    I don't think you'll hate them. The acting I found very good. You buy the terror of the crew, the emotions. It's just the decisions they make that are incredibly stupid, but that's the writers fault. The actors did an amazing job, imho.

Personally I think we're looking too much in to David replicating the means of creating the face hugger. Assuming David is responsible for all the eggs we see on LV-426 requires David discovering the derelict's warning beacon and intentionally diverting Covenant in order to create a trap for any poor unfortunate souls that would head in that system. But do we even know if LV-426 is between the planet in this movie and Covenant's intended destination? And why would David waste valuable subjects just to create a trap that he would have no idea would work?

David is just working with the materials left behind by the Engineers and then taking credit. For all we know, the Derelict ship on LV-426 also came to the same conclusion David reached. And about no laboratory. These Derelicts are more likely to be space labs than anything else, so David may have used the ship for his experiments and just moved his finished products to his home.

Though, I am not saying this movie is great, no way no how. It's like a 6/10 at best. For what it's worth, I thought the question this movie was supposed to answer was "is Xenomorph a weapon?" Not "who created it?"
    I agree with your conclusion and your assumptions. But still, it would have been nice to at least get a hint in the movie as to how he did that. And yeah, setting up a trap like this is a typical superhero movie villain scheme. An elaborate plan that would fail if the smallest detail went wrong. Why not drive the colony ship back to earth?

And I don't mind the Xenomorph being a weapon, allthough I still think it diminishes the creature. But what I always found fascinating in it was the unknown. Where does it come from? To answer that question takes a lot of value out of it, at least for me and the guys I saw the movie with. The Xenomorph might be the most iconic beast in Horrormovies ever, and it being so strange, to have nothing in common with any creature we know and still have this similarity to the human body is a big part of what made it's horror so good. For me. I don't think origin stories should always be explored. Sometimes they are better left out. I just think it deserved it's sense of, for a lack of a better term, magic. The big unknown.

2/10

It was bad, I cringed through most parts of it and had lost interest by the end of the movie.

Please leave aliens alone, it's just beating a once amazing, now dead race horse at this point. It's sci-fi for fucks sake, you can make a new universe to explore this BS, just leave this franchise alone now.

since the reason behind why the engineers hated us this is what ridley said in an interview.

How he planned on explaining this was about 2000 years ago an engineer came to earth to check up on us. He was revered as a living god and then crucified. Making him the figure jesus christ is based on. After they saw how warlike and unfit we were to join them in space they decided to purge us.

10+ Year Old Account

You hit on the major continuity problem with these new movies. The events of Covenant happened 18 years before the events of Alien. The Space Jockey on LV-426 was fossilized he had been dead for thousands of years yet we have David doing his thing like hes making the Aliens from scratch.

7+ Year Old Account

We don't know that David created the eggs from LV-426. In Alien they stated that ship had crashed there a LONG time ago. Probably more than the 20 years prior to it that this movie takes place.

Let's gather what we know about the facehugger eggs. 1) They were created by exposing a parasitic insect on the Engineer homeworld to the black goo (it should be noted that there are real life wasps that have a life cycle similar to the xenomorph), and then hybridizing the resulting thing with human DNA. 2) The Engineers created the black goo. 3) The parasitic insect is present in the Engineer homeworld. 4) Engineer DNA is virtually identical to human DNA. It's very possible that the engineers did this very same experiment at some point in the past. After all, they created the black goo to begin with.

We don't know that David created the eggs from LV-426. In Alien they stated that ship had crashed there a LONG time ago. Probably more than the 20 years prior to it that this movie takes place.

Let's gather what we know about the facehugger eggs. 1) They were created by exposing a parasitic insect on the Engineer homeworld to the black goo (it should be noted that there are real life wasps that have a life cycle similar to the xenomorph), and then hybridizing the resulting thing with human DNA. 2) The Engineers created the black goo. 3) The parasitic insect is present in the Engineer homeworld. 4) Engineer DNA is virtually identical to human DNA. It's very possible that the engineers did this very same experiment at some point in the past. After all, they created the black goo to begin with.
    No I think it's pretty explicit in the movie that David designed the Aliens in the form we know them as - including their life cycles and the "Eggs". The design is so unique that the idea of "simultaneous invention" seems a bit forced in this situation.

The big issue, that people have just got to face up to sooner or later, is that Scotts retconned not only ALIENS, and all the movies (and AVP movies) that come after that, but he's also seemingly ignoring parts of Prometheus to which this is a direct sequel and large parts of the original ALIEN movie. It feels like he's shitting over the whole ALIEN universe and its fans, just to tell his own different story about David and his journey (which didn't even really need Aliens in it).

I loved the big mystery and the feeling of how ancient the eggs were and how huge it made the universe seem. The fact they're the result of a malfunctioning droid playing Doctor Moreau a decade earlier, cheapens the whole franchise.

Not only that, if they're just the creation of a robot, himself a creation of people... you could argue that technically there weren't ever any real aliens in any of the original movies.

Bonus question - Why do the Aliens even need human hosts if it takes them about half an hour between face-hugger and full grown alien now?
    Last edited by rogueMatthias; 2017-05-21 at 03:52 PM.
    BASIC CAMPFIRE for WARCHIEF UK Prime Minister!