Building a 1440p /144hrtz / 60fps + / Questions ?

Since 1440p /144hrtz is the new sweet spot , i would like to build a computer to run games on that settings.

Questions ?

Do i need a 1080ti? or a 1070 /1080 would do the job ?

Should i really wait for the new GPU? is it that much of a difference ?

What kind of CPU ? does AMD ryzen worth the while ? or wait for the next Intel Gen ?

Maybe just get the 7600k CPU ? does 7700k worth it ? i don't do streaming or video editing .

I wanna build on a micro and mini atx case. what kinda of MOBO would support all of this ? (mobo with wifi and with lights )

16GB of ram is the norm now right ? any suggesting on really good ones for gaming with lights .?

I understand that my monitor has to support 144hrtz and 1440p 16:9. Any suggestions ?

Games i play

WoW
    Overwatch
    Heroes of the storm
    The witcher
    Destiny 2 ( when it comes out ) i really wanna play this in 1440 144hrtz
    Mass Effect

i wanna play this in the settings i mentioned above

Thank you for the help.

I run a 1080 and its good enough right now. I pull about a 100+ frames in most AAA titles on ultra settings (VERY few exceptions) I have no doubts next years games will start to require something like the 1080ti to maintain ultra/100+ frames but then again you will also have next years video cards.

But I will be upfront and say the 1080ti is not "overkill" as the kids like to say. It will be a damn good video card for a year or two. Specifically with the high refresh monitor.

As for thinking about the rat race of video cards. Don't. I am going to tell you the truth about this. Whatever you buy now and whenever you buy it within 3-6 months of you buying it and looking at benchmarks of something 20-30% faster and thinking you should have waited. But if you had then 3-6 months after that you would be feeling that anyway for the next. In other words this a a feeling you cannot ever escape. As long as you don't buy mere weeks before the next release that is. That is really the only way you can get truly screwed.
    Last edited by Low Hanging Fruit; 2017-05-20 at 02:10 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Video card choice is up to you, but at least go for 1080 performance due (not necessarily Nvidia) to your 144hz preference. I'm sure someone will tell you what the AMD equivalent is, although that should change very soon with Vega almost here.

Ryzen is fine, but you need to OC it, and even then depending on the game you'll gain 5-15 fps by going with Intel. I think that's with a 1600 @ 3.97 and a 7700k @ 5ghz, so without overclocking the 7700k the 1600 with slight OC is better. This assumes you're fine with overclocking.

I say go with a 7700k as you want to push every frame you can and don't care about streaming or editing. Make sure you pair it with at least DDR4 3000/3200, you'll be thankful when TW3 time comes as it's incredibly cpu-bound in towns.

Definitely go with 16GB, 2 sticks of 8 so you can dual channel it.

I also say go for it now if you have the money, don't wait because there's always something new coming. Intel has 6/8 core stuff on the way but no one knows if or how much IPC/freq they'll have to sacrifice for the extra cores. For all we know it could actually be a step up.

Other aspects of the display you should consider are size as 27" is the recommended size for 1440p, and then think about the panel tech you want as TN tech may bother you in terms of viewing angles if you're used to smaller displays. Lastly, you should research the variable refresh rate vsyncs (G-Sync + Freesync)

I'm biased to this display,

https://www.amazon.com/ViewSonic-XG2.../dp/B01LWJMM1S

but you basically have to play the panel lottery to find one without issues and return it to the seller.

I only recommend this if you must have a G-sync display, there are a few other options if you want a Freesync display.
    Last edited by MrPaladinGuy; 2017-05-20 at 02:37 AM.
    10850k (10c 20t) @ all-core 5GHz @ 1.250v | EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra Gaming | 32GB DDR4 3200 | 1TB M.2 OS/Game SSD | 4TB 7200RPM Game HDD | 10TB 7200 RPM Storage HDD | ViewSonic XG2703-GS - 27" IPS 1440p 165Hz Native G-Sync | HP Reverb G2 VR Headset

Perfect . Let me ask you this .

I been playing at 60fps 1080p for the past 5 years now . But in the past year i been seeing drops now since my computer starts and is already outdated.

is 1440p 144hz now the new norm ? is it really the soft spot ?
    Last edited by Valyzter; 2017-05-20 at 04:08 AM.

While I use 1440p at 144hz I don't think it will ever be the new norm, most people are still on 1080p 60 hz monitors and will most likely in time move over to 4k 60hz.

Still is nice to game on 1440p at 144hz (with g-sync/freesync), i'm using a regular 1080 but if you can afford it I would go for the 1080ti, even if it might be a tad overkill today, the card will last longer.

Ryzen isnt that great for 144 gaming, if you must get a CPU now - get a 7700K to push the frames

but it is by far better to wait for Coffee Lake and get a ~8700K .. 6c/12t @ 4.5+ Ghz, you're pretty much set

1070 is sufficient for 1440p, but absolute minimum for a 144hz display

1080 is middle of the road

1080Ti to push the frames to 100-120 territory @ 1440p

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Life-Binder View Post
    Ryzen isnt that great for 144 gaming, if you must get a CPU now - get a 7700K to push the frames

but it is by far better to wait for Coffee Lake and get a ~8700K .. 6c/12t @ 4.5+ Ghz, you're pretty much set
    This statement is HILARIOUS considering the fact that at 1440p 144Hz you are not CPU bound but GPU bound, making the difference absolutely NON-EXISTANT.

Not to mention that for the same measure you have no idea whatsoever what the performance of aforementioned games will be considering the previous statement.
    Only 1 game out of that entire list will have an advantage at that resolution and frequency with a certain brand CPU, the rest really doesn't give a rat's ass and relies more on the GPU.

Stop misinforming people and answer the man's question instead of throwing forward your own bias.

@OP : You are fine enough with any mentioned CPU at what you want to play at since at your requested resolution and refresh rate you will 99% of the time be GPU bound barring WoW and WoW alone of your entire list.
    So in this case bring as much GPU muscle to bear as you can.
    Grab either an i7-7700K or Ryzen 5 1600X/Ryzen 7 and overclock and have at it with a 1080Ti or possible upcoming RX Vega.

Because from your list we know Witcher 3 will run well enough but Mass Effect: Andromeda requires more GPU muscle and Destiny 2 is an unknown factor at this point.
    But you're looking @ 1080 class of cards minimum for decent refresh rate on some games (overkill on others like WoW/Overwatch) and possibly 1080Ti/RX Vega for the heavy hitters.

Though I have to admit that Destiny 2's intro trailer was funny as hell

This statement is HILARIOUS considering the fact that at 1440p 144Hz you are not CPU bound but GPU bound, making the difference absolutely NON-EXISTANT.
    keep spouting that bullshit

aiming for 144 fps requires the fastest gaming CPU, that is 7700K atm

Jesus you give the worst advice in this section
    Last edited by Life-Binder; 2017-05-20 at 06:33 PM.

Most games where high refresh rate is truly beneficial are easy to run anyways. Sure 144hz gaming is nice for other games too, but shooters are usually where you really want it and those are tuned to run on a potato. I just found the reviews quite funny when ryzen 7 hit, you better buy intel for overwatch so you get 190 fps instead of 170 lol.

BTW i can run overwatch 1440p at 150+FPS at lowered details (medium still looks really good in this game) on a gtx 1060, you absolutely do not need a 1070.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Life-Binder View Post
    keep spouting that bullshit

aiming for 144 fps requires the fastest gaming CPU, that is 7700K atm

Jesus you give the worst advice in this section
    Are you even aware of how a GPU bottleneck works?
    The difference is negligible as the limit is the GPU not the CPU, of course you're not combining an i3 with a 1080Ti.

Your knowledge is so dangerously lacking it's a miracle you haven't bankrupted someone yet.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Evildeffy View Post
    Are you even aware of how a GPU bottleneck works?
    The difference is negligible as the limit is the GPU not the CPU, of course you're not combining an i3 with a 1080Ti.

Your knowledge is so dangerously lacking it's a miracle you haven't bankrupted someone yet.
    I don't find myself often agreeing with Life-binder due to his bias, but he is right on this unfortunately. Of course it depends on the game, but it's pretty evident that when driving frames > 100 a synergy is needed in performance.You are not purely GPU bottlenecked, the CPU does matter, and curently the slightly higher ipc and considerably higher clock of the 7700k does make it the best platform to get a solid capped rate on.

You will see perhaps 7-10% improvement in frame rates up and around 130-150hz from a 7700k over ryzen. If this is insignificant to someone they should stick with 60hz currently, or at least ensure the monitor supports the variable sync version the same flavour as the gpu.

Quote Originally Posted by DonGenaro View Post
    I don't find myself often agreeing with Life-binder due to his bias, but he is right on this unfortunately.

shooters are usually where you really want it and those are tuned to run on a potato
    incorrect generalisation

heh, try running Ghost Recon Wildlands @ 144 some time xD

or a lot of modern AAA shooters at 144 fps really, except CS Go and Overwatch (and maybe Quake Champions, im not sure what the reqs there are .. then again I would hardly call QC an AAA game)

and 144hz is beneficial in all games, not just in shooters

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DonGenaro View Post
    I don't find myself often agreeing with Life-binder due to his bias, but he is right on this unfortunately. Of course it depends on the game, but it's pretty evident that when driving frames > 100 a synergy is needed in performance.You are not purely GPU bottlenecked, the CPU does matter, and curently the slightly higher ipc and considerably higher clock of the 7700k does make it the best platform to get a solid capped rate on.

You will see perhaps 7-10% improvement in frame rates up and around 130-150hz from a 7700k over ryzen. If this is insignificant to someone they should stick with 60hz currently, or at least ensure the monitor supports the variable sync version the same flavour as the gpu.
    I never stated CPU wasn't important, I simply stated that due to being GPU bottlenecked the difference is often between 2 and 4%.
    Which is the difference of 130 and 125 FPS as an example.

Which for any person with a 144Hz screen is going to be completely intangible, especially if they have G-Sync or FreeSync, which at this point in time very likely do or they'd have a very low budget monitor, considering the fact we're discussing a 1080Ti here.

The 2 biggest things I utterly loathe about his statements are:
    Quote Originally Posted by Life-Binder
    Ryzen isnt that great for 144 gaming
    And:
    Quote Originally Posted by Life-Binder
    but it is by far better to wait for Coffee Lake and get a ~8700K .. 6c/12t @ 4.5+ Ghz
    For obvious reasons, but for technical purposes I will explain:

Quote 1:
    The higher you drive a resolution does not increase the load on the CPU, that remains constant, only the values at which you request graphics at is altered.
    And at these resolutions the bottleneck shifts from CPU to GPU because of the load increasing by 77,78% on the GPU, that is not a value amount to which you can still easily remain CPU bottlenecked and thus the difference is almost negligible because the GPU has to do the brunt of the work.

I also specifically didn't touch on "future" legs for a person upgrading now in which case Ryzen has a CLEAR advantage, I answered the here and now and that is what it is.

Quote 2:
    The bias is 1, and considering the fact you will have another evolution of Skylake (by Intel's own design) and same lithography the only things you'll get from this is increasing power efficiency and simply altering a design to yield more cores and, though not impossible but HIGHLY improbable, likely 0 IPC improvements.
    The difference in someone asking would still yield 0 difference to f.ex. a 7700K now or even a Ryzen CPU because of aforementioned bottleneck and will likely perform ON PAR with Ryzen because (and this he will never understand) adding complexity to a CPU decreases it's overclockability, this is a pure physical fact.
    In this sense a 4,9 - 5,0 GHz i7-7700K f.ex. will yield better FPS than a Coffee Lake @ 4,5GHz and pretty much identical to Ryzen 5/7 unless Intel at the very last second decided that THIS particular 14nm is not an evolution of Skylake/Kaby Lake but an entirely new architecture/

Games that currently cannot use more cores will not use them either when Coffee Lake is released, though this part of the advice still does hold the same advantage for "future proofing for games" (and I fking hate that term) as Ryzen does.

If the OP said he wanted to play CS:GO @ 500 FPS instead of 400 FPS because he can see the difference (which is already an unlikely point even for the pro's) then the point might've been valid but looking at what he wants to play it almost is irrelevant.

10+ Year Old Account
    You want lights... you got lights....

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel - Core i7-7700K 4.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($329.89 @ OutletPC)
    CPU Cooler: NZXT - Kraken X62 Liquid CPU Cooler ($159.89 @ OutletPC)
    Motherboard: MSI - Z270I GAMING PRO CARBON AC Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard ($155.89 @ OutletPC)
    Memory: G.Skill - Trident Z RGB 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($149.88 @ OutletPC)
    Storage: Crucial - MX300 275GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($97.89 @ OutletPC)
    Storage: Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($45.93 @ NCIX US)
    Video Card: Asus - GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB STRIX GAMING Video Card ($744.88 @ OutletPC)
    Case: Phanteks - Enthoo EVOLV ITX Mini ITX Tower Case ($65.99 @ NCIX US)
    Power Supply: SeaSonic - 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($96.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Total: $1847.23
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-05-20 16:25 EDT-0400

Thought process:

CPU: Since you're only gaming and wanting to run on the bleeding edge.... 7700k.
    CPU cooler: Baller status cooler. It has lights.
    Mobo: Good brand that I personally like. Wifi and lights as requested.
    Memory: Good speed. Lights.
    Storage: M.2 SSD to save room. It will be for your OS and a couple of your primary games. WD Blue for mass storage.
    GPU: 1080ti is what I would recommend for 1440p 144 Hz. This one has lights and comes from a good brand. Has a good cooler as well.
    Case: Well reviewed mini ITX case. It's a little big for the ITX size making it more of a mini ATX size. Still small and I think it looks snazzy.
    PSU: A high quality PSU. Never cheap out on your PSU.
    Last edited by ovm33; 2017-05-20 at 08:28 PM.
    I sat alone in the dark one night, tuning in by remote.
    I found a preacher who spoke of the light, but there was Brimstone in his throat.
    He'd show me the way, according to him, in return for my personal check.
    I flipped my channel back to CNN and lit another cigarette.

Quote Originally Posted by ovm33 View Post
    You want lights... you got lights....
    Perfect.!

Yeah looking to do a black case red lights interior .

- - - Updated - - -

Nice love the feedback and the understanding <3

We can all agreed that a 1080ti is needed for what i want . Since i upgrade my computer 4-5 years at a time . so i get what last me the longest .

My thing is that i wanna game at that resolution . since i think is the next step from 1080p 60fps . in 4-5 years from now 4K will be a thing more affordable . ( ithink )

I do know that what i want is not cheap. and i do plan on getting the monitor 144hz with G-sync or freesync . i will buy all of this from amazon cause of shipping since i

don't live in the USA .

Love all the feedback from all of you! =)

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    You totally dont need an 1080 TI for playing those games on 1440p 144hz lets get get that right, and if somebody says its not overkill then their clueless. Save yourself some money and just go with the 1080 instead thats plenty enough for it allready.
    Last edited by dragons; 2017-05-22 at 02:03 AM.

you definitely need 1080Ti for 1440p 144hz for maxed out Witcher 3 (assuming its the 3-rd game)