bahamut VS 7 yep called nina not transforming last week. laser crossbows made me giggle

10+ Year Old Account
    what about kado's recap, anything good?
    [CENTER]

Seven Deadly Sins was okay. I didn't finish it but it wasn't really my type of show anyways.

BLAME! Movie - 7/10: This is more or less BLAME!: Electro Fishers, featuring Killy. If this was in the BLAME! manga, it would basically have just been a side story and not lasted more than a couple of chapters. Plus all the characters would talk far less and there would be no exposition. I find it hard to accurately rate the movie, as over all, it's fine, technically it's good. For people whose only experience with Tsutomu Nihei is the Knights of Sidonia anime, then this is potentially a fantastic movie. As a fan first of the BLAME! manga, I think that it's perfectly OK, or even good, for what it is.

Basically, this is more a story of the Electro Fishers - a nomadic tribe of humans (or at least one divergence of numerous human tribes) that exist in The City, battling against the odd automated sentries, known as The Safeguard, that defend it, in order to search out food to survive. The City itself is a fathomlessly huge megastructure that originally started construction as an orbital structure around Earth. It has been built upon and re-built upon, redesigned and extended for an unknown amount of millennia, to the point that its outer limits are not known to any living human and it takes a lifetime to travel even a fraction of its length.

In the movie, we follow the efforts and trials of a group of Electro Fishers as they hunt for new, safe grounds with food to gather for their families, a small scouting group of them risking their lives to do so. When they are attacked by the Safeguard security bots of The City, Killy happens to cross paths with them and intervenes. Although Killy is referred to as a human, he has travelled through hundreds, if not thousands of the city's expansive levels in his quest to find the Net Terminal Gene - a gene that will allow control over The City's Safeguard security systems. He carries a gun with him called the Gravitational Beam Emitter. It's so powerful, it's one of the few things that can actually blow holes in the megastructure that is The City. Thus the movie begins.

BLAME! the manga is thematically the opposite from what anyone would want to turn into a profitable film. It's like an odd, obtuse and unashamed art-house experience that invites the reader on a path of lonely, quiet exploration of an alien and alienating world. In ways, as bad as the original short length OVAs were, they captured more of the feel of the original manga than this film does. They were short, distant, strange and unwilling to conform to any tangible story-telling style. The film on the other hand has a raft of talky characters, with a community and social links to one another. They have something to protect and strive for, they're vaguely relatable and you can understand why they're doing what they're doing very easily, with fundamental story elements at play.

The BLAME! manga on the other hand, almost strived to be oblique by comparison, with a more comparative piece of media being Dark Souls. In Dark Souls, you are given a vague idea of what's going on and then are plunged head-first into a dark, foreboding world that cares little to explain anything explicitly or to hold your hand through it. It's a dark, lonely and reflective experience, much like the BLAME! manga. In Dark Souls and the manga, you can go for hours without much, if any dialogue being had at all. The characters are generally secondary to the experience and feel that the world creates, though it still feels full of character and personality despite this. In the end it comes down to the film being vastly more open and 'accessible' than the manga can ever be. However, it will act as a nice introduction to the base ideas of BLAME!'s world for newcomers, who may move onto reading the manga itself.

One thing I will say that the movie does interestingly, is that it makes Killy into more of a Mad Max style character: He is more incidental to existing and occurring events, happening to arrive in a situation and work his way through it, helping those he comes across as more of a byproduct of his own drive to achieve his objective, rather than going out of his way to help them.

In the end, all I can say is that the movie is basically the translation I expected it to receive for a mass-media airing. It's a very watchable sci-fi movie and I like a lot about it. It's just by no means a definitive exploration of BLAME! as I know it. I would have liked a little more impact to Killy's gun being fired, but otherwise I've no major complaints. There are some very nice action sequences and fights, with the second half feeling a lot like the more epic action chapters of the manga.

The art and animation of it all is presented exactly like Knights of Sidonia season 2, with a few more upgrades again to the overall style. The CGI art designs are becoming more and more naturally anime-esque, while retaining the odd and extremely unnatural visual qualities of Nihei's original manga art style. There are also some very nice hand-drawn backgrounds thrown in too, that could easily be straight from the original manga panels. This also goes for the depictions of the characters, the armour, the landscapes and so on. Visually, this is a great representation of the manga.

The sound over all is on point, with whirrs, grinding noises, mechanical clicks and of course the deep 'thwoom' of Killy's gun being fired all sounding great. If anything, I'd say that the musical is pretty much forgettable and just 'satisfactory' for the most part. There's nothing to call home about or that I remember standing out at any point.

Overall, I recommend the film for anyone who likes BLAME! or Knights of Sidonia, or any of Nihei's other works, or even just sci-fi in general.
    Last edited by Shinzai; 2017-05-19 at 11:25 PM. Reason: Needs proof-reading.

Quote Originally Posted by Caine View Post
    Character creation and development is the prime reason why this series is a 10/10 for me. Their journey is amazing.
    Maybe that's another for me to hit up after I finish Legend of the Galactic Heroes.

Quote Originally Posted by lucythewolf View Post
    going along side this point has anyone seen attack on titan?
    I thought it was alright. It's entertainment; easy to follow, easy to watch. Has its moments.

Quote Originally Posted by Shinzai View Post
    BLAME! Movie - 7/10...

Overall, I recommend the film for anyone who likes BLAME! or Knights of Sidonia, or any of Nihei's other works, or even just sci-fi in general.
    I kind of got bored with the manga. I dunno, I just didn't particularly care what was happening...when I could figure it out.

Is the movie in cinemas, or is this off of a download?

Quote Originally Posted by goriq View Post
    I'll read this once I have watched the movie. I'll have to wait since I don't have a Netflix account.
    Well, that answers my question where it is. I do actually have it; maybe I'll try.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Neichus View Post
    Maybe that's another for me to hit up after I finish Legend of the Galactic Heroes.
    It's definitely worth watching. 4:3 might take some getting used to, but animation itself has aged very well, it's good even by today's standards. It starts out as a somewhat generic interdimensional schoolgirl, but it does not take long for the storyline to start twisting around - and while characters and their development are definitely the strongest points, the world is interesting and the story itself takes you for quite the ride. If I had to point one problem out, it's that it's theoretically an incomplete adaptation. I say theoretically because episodes 1-39 tell a complete story - however it's a novel adaptation and it does not encompass all the books. Some plot lines are started and never finished - and while they are only connected to the main story be shared setting and some characters, I would still very much love to see them all reach conclusion.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Neichus View Post
    I'll also recommend it, and hemo recommends it.
    [CENTER]

15+ Year Old Account
    Bahamut 07 - Terrorists got what they deserved. Vive la Humanity.

Saekano 6 - erishit is still shittiest girl. Kato is fast tracking her way to #1 in my book

- - - Updated - - -

Koe no Katachi Movie

This was fantastic.

I remember being very worried about how they would adapt a story as unusual and challenging as this but this movie turned out amazing. As far as the story goes, I would even go as far as to say that the movie, despite being limited to just two hours, was better than the manga since it omitted the movie arc. That part really dragged down the manga for me.

I can't say that I found the movie as emotionally intense as some of you but I found it to be very touching at times. Both the breakfast scene where Ishida's mother asked him if he wanted to commit suicide and Ishida's fall had me teary eyed.

As for the technical aspects, the art and animation were beautiful. Among the best I've seen in anime. The scene composition was similarly outstanding with Yuzuru and Shoko at their grandmother's funeral being a particularly memorable shot, though I don't know why exactly that is.

The soundtrack choice was also very fitting and I'm simply a sucker for gentle piano pieces. I was actually very surprised by how they accompanied the opening sequence - a very "western" choice, so to say.

I also absolutely loved the character designs. I remember the art in the manga feeling a little bit unusual at first but the way the characters translated into an animated format was great.

I feel like the thoughts and motives of the characters were easier to comprehend in the movie. I can't exactly tell why but I simply found them to be more believable and convincing in this.

I had honestly forgotten how much I initially enjoyed this story and how worried I was about the outcome of this adaptation. I guess I stopped caring a little but the movie reminded me how great this is. If I was to choose I might even say that I would recommend the movie over the manga and I can't say that I would do this in any other case.

9/10

- - - Updated - - -

Bahamut 07 - This episode was way too short.

- - - Updated - - -

Re:Creators 07 - I think they're dragging this "revelation" out too much.
    i agree, re: Creators has started to drag in the past couple of episodes.

15+ Year Old Account
    Eromanga-sensei 07 - Why wasn't the title of the story "My Little Sister Can't Be This Cute", what a wasted opportunity.

This show is pretty good, but the biggest flaw is that it doesn't have anything that can compare to Ayase. I almost want to rewatch Oreimo just for her.

Quote Originally Posted by Sesto View Post
    Eromanga-sensei 07 - Why wasn't the title of the story "My Little Sister Can't Be This Cute", what a wasted opportunity.

This show is pretty good, but the biggest flaw is that it doesn't have anything that can compare to Ayase. I almost want to rewatch Oreimo just for her.
    sagiri was super awesome at the end. agree about the title though. also strangely i'm not thrown off by the fact that there is only lolis in this series.

- - - Updated - - -

worst konosuba girl
    take aquas personality, put it in megumins body, with yami's character development.
    Last edited by AceofH; 2017-05-20 at 08:43 PM.

Just finished Dragon maid (Im late pls dont yell)
    Why is Kanna so cute?

Season 2 when?

Last edited by pickley; 2017-05-21 at 12:46 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by pickley View Post
    Just finished Dragon maid (Im late pls dont yell)
    Why is Kanna so cute?

Season 2 when?
    After Amagi S2.

Quote Originally Posted by Zatheyll View Post
    After Amagi S2.
    Theres a lot of S2s that really need to be a thing huh

10+ Year Old Account
    Don't sweat the details!!!

Quote Originally Posted by pickley View Post
    Theres a lot of S2s that really need to be a thing huh
    Like Mon Musu s2

"Would you please let me join your p-p-party?

10+ Year Old Account
    Idk what stream you watched but it really just sounds like a version with low bitrate cause of that artifacting you mentioned. I've downloaded it through netflix (with high setting through their downloader) and I had 0 issues with jarring framerate or artifacting. Heck I would call it's Polygon Pictures best attempt so far.

Can't comment on the rest as i've been waiting to read the manga till the movie came out but i've really enjoyed it without any knowledge about it.
    Anilist
    #PraiseforKyoAni

I can't really agree with any of this. I think as a movie, this surely wasn't bad, but by calling it Blame and thus subjecting it to a direct comparison to the source material, it just can't hold up.

I know how abstract a full-fledged proper adaptation would be and it's probably even more avant-garde in my own head (and certainly not suitable for a mass-audience) but I simply wanted this to be what it deserves to be.
    I'm kind of confused. That's basically what I concluded at numerous points: It's a good sci-fi film in its own right, but it's not what I would consider a good BLAME! adaptation. As I said, it's probably fine for anyone who hasn't read through BLAME!.

Sukasuka 6.

Show is quickly becoming an sleeper hit for me, i went into it expecting just your run off the mill fantasy show, but it's doing things far better than that.
    It got some pretty shoddy animations from time to time, and the pacing is wonky, but otherwise i am definitly enjoying this.

Plus this episode let me know what kind of suffering i can expect from the show, i wasn't all that sure up until now.
    Plus god damn some of the scenes was just absolutely stunning, not too often you see vibrant, color and just genuinely really good looking scenes like this.

Spoiler: