Page 9 of 115 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Frontenac View Post
    We don't really know what it is. All we know is that it is a sarcophagus ship. We also see a box that looks like an egyptian sarcophagus in the trailer. Some speculate that it could be a ship filled with cryogenized Klingons. If so, it means that the ship is old, very old. You don't need cryogenization when you have warp engines. Since the Klingons had warp engines more than a century before humans, that ship would be more than 200 years old. And again, fashion changes, and that's also true for shipbuilding. And for the Klingons' appearance, for all we know their baldness may be an effect of their prolongued sleep. Or maybe not. That's why we should all calm down, take a deep breath by the nose and wait for more informations. That's just Star Trek, not a religion.
    I have a feeling the explanation will be lacking. But I suppose I should isntead be wondering why they look like that, rather than get angry at why they look like that. But knowing producers nowadays, I'm very cynical about the explanation and if there'll be one.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Maleagant View Post
    Think I will just watch The Orville instead.
    You mean Galaxy Quest? MacFarlane is pretentious as hell, incredibly unfunny and a mediocre actor. Just listen to that freaking dialogue. It makes me cringe. It's so, so bad. It's embarrasing.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ilikegreenfire View Post
    So the new old Klingons are Egyptian Gothic beings with diffrent physical attributes from not only the Klingons of the time but also the Klingons from the cryoship we see in voy. Great.....
    And the Klingon ship they come across in TNG that's also been asleep since the first war with the Federation.
    And still very different from the one Worf de-evolved into.

Yeh, I am pretty sure this will bomb and fail. CBS exclusive streaming for US is a hurdle, I imagine it will do better in the countries that get it through Netflix. The setting blows, I dont care about the JJverse. Even if I did, I dont care about history lessons that will 100% retcon things from the originals. I want to know where the Federation is NOW after Janeway got back from the DeltaQ. Im sick of them going back in time and making up new aliens, despite pretty much all of the AlphaQ having been mapped and explored.

I imagine I will wait until the whole show is up then get one month of the service to watch it, I certainly do not see myself getting a new streaming app for one show. Should have sold rights to HULU or Netflix.
    READ and be less Ignorant.

I'm still waiting for a series based on the life of Shran and his continuing mission to annoy the hell out of the Vulcans and rescue the pink skins from their stupidity.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by IIamaKing View Post
    Yeh, I am pretty sure this will bomb and fail. CBS exclusive streaming for US is a hurdle, I imagine it will do better in the countries that get it through Netflix. The setting blows, I dont care about the JJverse. Even if I did, I dont care about history lessons that will 100% retcon things from the originals. I want to know where the Federation is NOW after Janeway got back from the DeltaQ. Im sick of them going back in time and making up new aliens, despite pretty much all of the AlphaQ having been mapped and explored.
    That's pretty much the problem with the 24th century. Most of the Alpha and even Beta quadrants have been mapped. The Federation has become a galactic super-power. Star Trek is about discovery, exploration. The 23rd century can give that "final frontier" vibe.

Personally, I would have liked a major time leap, a show set late in the 25th century, or even the 26th. Just to make sure things are really different.

Pers
    "Je vous répondrai par la bouche de mes canons!"

That's pretty much the problem with the 24th century. Most of the Alpha and even Beta quadrants have been mapped. The Federation has become a galactic super-power. Star Trek is about discovery, exploration. The 23rd century can give that "final frontier" vibe.

Personally, I would have liked a major time leap, a show set late in the 25th century, or even the 26th. Just to make sure things are really different.

Pers
    I would be fine with that, I just want the story to continue. And telling us campfire stories of the past is not a continuation.

I wouldnt mind a show that takes us back to the DeltaQ Tech should be at a point where they can do it in a few months now, lets have maybe an outpost show that mixes DS9 and Voyager.

I don't like the "prequel" stuff at all. It's backwards thinking which is a direct contradiction to everything Star Trek stands for, especially when thinking of TNG and DS9. I want a modern Star Trek series that focuses on the greater things in life and that stands there as a positive image of a possible(!) future: humanity, philosophy, technology, scientific approach, openness, social criticism, intercultural/-species relations and so on... These were the spirits of Roddenberry's Star Trek which still is unique in its style/approach and is the only ST worth watching IMO. When it comes to Sci-Fantasy Star Wars simply does it better...
    #MakeBlizzardGreatAgain

10+ Year Old Account
    I would be fine with that, I just want the story to continue. And telling us campfire stories of the past is not a continuation.

I wouldnt mind a show that takes us back to the DeltaQ Tech should be at a point where they can do it in a few months now, lets have maybe an outpost show that mixes DS9 and Voyager.
    I thought about an outpost as well. In the Delta Quadrant, or even maybe in the Large Magellanic Cloud or Andromeda Galaxy, with a rival player doing the same thing.

10+ Year Old Account
    I thought about an outpost as well. In the Delta Quadrant, or even maybe in the Large Magellanic Cloud or Andromeda Galaxy, with a rival player doing the same thing.
    You mean Star Effect: Andromeda?

Yeah, hard pass.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    No, my first thought was that they were on Vulcan.

Now that I looked at it more carefully, the object on the sarcophagus' chest looks like a bat'leth. That Klingon seems to be holding one too:

There is more in that show that looks like what we're used too than the reverse. I mean, the Vulcans look Vulcan, the ship, the Shenzou, looks like a Starfleet ship and its design is not far from ENT, the communicators are very TOS, the uniforms are Starfleet enough and the insignas have the same symbols used for command, science and engineering they had in TOS. Oh, and the Klingon emblem is exactly the same. We even see the Klingons scream for the death of a fallen warrior like they did in TNG.

Now, I wonder when we'll see the definitive model of the Discovery.
    You know what? Now that I think about it, I think this redesign could be an attempt to make the aliens more alien. They've all been very samey during the previous series. The reason they usually made all aliens look so human or variations of humans was due to budget and time restrictions. This could be about that.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by chooi View Post
    I don't like the "prequel" stuff at all. It's backwards thinking which is a direct contradiction to everything Star Trek stands for, especially when thinking of TNG and DS9. I want a modern Star Trek series that focuses on the greater things in life and that stands there as a positive image of a possible(!) future: humanity, philosophy, technology, scientific approach, openness, social criticism, intercultural/-species relations and so on... These were the spirits of Roddenberry's Star Trek which still is unique in its style/approach and is the only ST worth watching IMO. When it comes to Sci-Fantasy Star Wars simply does it better...
    Agreed, a prequel is boring and not very Star Trek. Enterprise already did that.

Pers
    The Milky Way has satellite galaxies, Develop transwarp technology early in the 25th century and go to Large Magellanic Cloud!!!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Large_Magellanic_Cloud

The Milky Way is like earth, fed is like united states. It's time to go to the moon (Large Magellanic Cloud)

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Noomz View Post
    You know what? Now that I think about it, I think this redesign could be an attempt to make the aliens more alien. They've all been very samey during the previous series. The reason they usually made all aliens look so human or variations of humans was due to budget and time restrictions. This could be about that.

- - - Updated - - -

Agreed, a prequel is boring and not very Star Trek. Enterprise already did that.
    Probably yes, but it kinda grew on me. Was it ever discussed whether sentient alien life in the ST universe typically evolves along a humanoid pattern? That could be a way of justifying it., even if it may not be plausible irl.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhlor View Post
    The Milky Way has satellite galaxies, Develop transwarp technology early in the 25th century and go to Large Magellanic Cloud!!!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Large_Magellanic_Cloud

The Milky Way is like earth, fed is like united states. It's time to go to the moon (Large Magellanic Cloud)
    Yeah, I said that about three posts ago. Great minds...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Vieve View Post
    Probably yes, but it kinda grew on me. Was it ever discussed whether sentient alien life in the ST universe typically evolves along a humanoid pattern? That could be a way of justifying it., even if it may not be plausible irl.
    There's an episode in TNG precisely about that.

http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/The_Chase_(episode)

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Yes. In TNG there's an episode on why some of them are very similar, due to a progenitor race that seeded the galaxy with life. We diverged from them in different ways, ending up with humans, Klingons, Vulcans, Kardassians and so on.

But it's also been explained that many design choices are for budget reasons and practical reasons. Which is why the original Star Trek was so...well, boring when it came to aliens. Every consecutive series improved on it. So Klingons ended up getting a design change, from being jerks with mustaches to warriors with strange heads and bushy hair.

Thats because the most races of the AlphaQ were all seeded by an ancient alien race, who looked mostly human. So it makes sense that they share similar traits.

- - - Updated - - -

Ahh, beat me to it.

Deleted
    Yeah, I said that about three posts ago. Great minds...

- - - Updated - - -

Never saw that one but I read it was inspired by Contact by Sagan, which happens to be one of my favourite book/movies.

That can't be coincidence

But it's also been explained that many design choices are for budget reasons and practical reasons. Which is why the original Star Trek was so...well, boring when it came to aliens. Every consecutive series improved on it. So Klingons ended up getting a design change, from being jerks with mustaches to warriors with strange heads and bushy hair.
    I get the practical concerns, but having an established reason for similarities changing them up is lame, IMO. Thats why I want a series elsewhere in the galaxy or even out of it. A current timeline 100 years post Janeway/Dom war sounds nice. That way we can have new aliens that dont shit on cannon. Cannon that, lets face it, WILL always be held as the gold standard to the fans.

Its like the people who control the IP haver no care or concern for the lore, only making money off of it. Star Trek, by all rights SHOULD be as big if not bigger than Star Wars, but Paramount just doesn't seem to know what to do with it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Never saw that one but I read it was inspired by Contact by Sagan, which happens to be one of my favourite book/movies.

That can't be coincidence
    It was a nice treasure hunt, with a nice plot and good humour. That Klingon captain...

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Thats because the most races of the AlphaQ were all seeded by an ancient alien race, who looked mostly human. So it makes sense that they share similar traits.

And that was made up so as to justify them all looking the same for the reasons I stated. It was about budget and practical reasons back then when the show was created. Now we have a lot more money for shows and both practical and CG effects are easier to do more with.

- - - Updated - - -

I get the practical concerns, but having an established reason for similarities changing them up is lame, IMO. Thats why I want a series elsewhere in the galaxy or even out of it. A current timeline 100 years post Janeway/Dom war sounds nice. That way we can have new aliens that dont shit on cannon. Cannon that, lets face it, WILL always be held as the gold standard to the fans.

Its like the people who control the IP haver no care or concern for the lore, only making money off of it. Star Trek, by all rights SHOULD be as big if not bigger than Star Wars, but Paramount just doesn't seem to know what to do with it.
    It's because they're afraid of inventing something new, so they go with what they know. It's cheaper and easier that way. They dont understand the franchise, so they cant invent and be original with it. But I agree with you, the fun of Star Trek was progression and the actual TREK part of it, which is why Enterprise wasn't as good.
    The writing and story of Star Wars is much simpler, broader and is made to appeal to kids and the younger audience. Star Trek isn't, so producers and suits dont want to risk putting money into it.

It's because they're afraid of inventing something new, so they go with what they know.
    Ironic considering the uproar over the idea that Klingons don't look exactly how they have in the past. You want to know why studios go with what they know? Because the fans of these properties are terrified of change.

10+ Year Old Account
    Voyager didn't exactly explore all of the Delta Quadrant. Most of the Gamma Quadrant has yet to be explored at the time of ST: DS9. I'd say there's plenty to explore in the 24th century... it's also not like the Federation and other Alpha/Beta Quadrant powers fully explored their own quadrants by the 24th century.