Page 1 of 2
LastLast

How do you actually "learn to get over it"?

It seems like this phrase or mentality gets passed around so often. When someone has an opposing point of view that is offensive or gets under one's skin, you're told to just get over it or accept it. But how exactly do you do this, in specific, psychological terms?

I don't get over it. I try to understand it, perhaps try to change it or just plain shut up about it. "Getting over it" is just another way of saying "accept it".

I thought this was going to be about getting over an ex.

in the context of discussion on here? learn you can be spending your time better on literally anything else.

15+ Year Old Account
    I don't mean to toot my own horn here, but play video games instead of getting hung up on stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Deja Thoris View Post
    I don't get over it. I try to understand it, perhaps try to change it or just plain shut up about it. "Getting over it" is just another way of saying "accept it".
    It's more akin to "shut up about it," sometimes. Edit: oh you wrote that... oops.

You "get over it" by deciding that whatever you're supposed to "get over" isn't really an issue. Or, if it is, you "get over it" with that individual by either not talking about that issue, or just not associating with that individual at all. Or, if it's an extremely serious issue for you,, you "get over it" by turning the table, writing some letters to congress, starting a non-profit, holding rallies, and forcing the other person to "get over it."

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Video Games View Post
    I don't mean to toot my own horn here, but play video games instead of getting hung up on stuff.
    What kind of game are you?

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

10+ Year Old Account
    When you find out, let me know. Seriously.

People are not defined by one or a couple of viewpoints.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

If you don't develop the ability to get over things you cannot change, you are going to be incapable of living a mentally-healthy life. Learning not to let unimportant things stick to you is a crucial life lesson. Learning how to distinguish importance and what is worth focusing on is something you should have settled before you finish your teenage years.

Quote Originally Posted by Raybourne View Post
    It seems like this phrase or mentality gets passed around so often. When someone has an opposing point of view that is offensive or gets under one's skin, you're told to just get over it or accept it. But how exactly do you do this, in specific, psychological terms?
    Accept that they have that view and move on.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by belfpala View Post
    It's more akin to "shut up about it," sometimes. Edit: oh you wrote that... oops.

You "get over it" by deciding that whatever you're supposed to "get over" isn't really an issue. Or, if it is, you "get over it" with that individual by either not talking about that issue, or just not associating with that individual at all. Or, if it's an extremely serious issue for you,, you "get over it" by turning the table, writing some letters to congress, starting a non-profit, holding rallies, and forcing the other person to "get over it."

- - - Updated - - -

What kind of game are you?
    all oh dem!

By realizing that you cannot change people, their views, their perceptions, or their thinking, unless they want to. You can only be yourself and true to what you believe [I]if that's the best way for you.[I] There's nothing wrong with questioning yourself and how you see the world from time to time. In the light of new information, clinging to the outdated, the outmoded, or simply the wrong thing does nothing but keep you from "getting over it".

This is why it's not the best idea to get hung up on what's right or wrong because everyone has a different view about those things. Sure we have general things we all see eye to eye on, like we can all generally agree that murder is wrong, but some people have opposing views about whether or not it's necessary to kill someone if it means you surviving. You may think it might be necessary if the circumstances are right, but there are people who indeed share a very opposite view. You have to "get over" the fact they think one way, and they have to "get over" the fact you don't.

Idk.. ignore them and let them live their own lives and that "correcting them" won't get you anywhere?

It depends on what it is, be more specific.

I think a lot of times people say that when they're attempting to say that they're not personally responsible and don't care that you're bothered by something. Whether that's valid or not depends entirely on the situation.

Granted I'm trying to figure out the context by the extremely ambiguous OP, so I could be totally off-base.

You learn to not make a storm about it, either because a) nobody else cares b) you can't change it so might as well accept it c) it objectively isn't a big deal or d) whatever other reason there might be.

Basically, you grow up and realize having a tantrum because of a b c is something children do, grownups accept and move on (or do something about it and move on, but still don't throw a tantrum about it). Drama not needed.

Realize that the energy required to change that person's mind is not worth it and can be better spent enjoying life.

People having different views on things makes life interesting. Ask them why they believe what they do, you might find it interesting and it might even change your view a little.

Unless they have really extreme views that involve global domination or something.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

10+ Year Old Account
    Self reflection

I have absolute no problem to label people as idiots, and write them off.

If it's people I otherwise have a good relation to, I just zone out if things we disagree on comes up.