Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Bauman named chairman of the California Democratic Party - rival refuses to concede

Seriously, wtf is wrong with bernouts? My facebook feed is filled with spam about the whole thing being rigged. You lost, get over it, your ideas aren't as popular as you thought.

Eric Bauman named new chairman of the California Democratic Party — but his rival refuses to concede
    Longtime Democratic leader Eric Bauman won a razor’s-edge victory Saturday to be elected chairman of the California Democratic Party, beating rival Kimberly Ellis by just more than 60 votes, according to the state party.

But Ellis did not concede, saying late Saturday night that she had been in touch with attorneys.

“This race is not done,” she told hundreds of chanting supporters who were calling for a recount in the hallway of the convention center where the state party convention was being held. “We will see you all in the morning.”

Bauman, a long-time party leader, said he was humbled by the win. He reached out to Ellis supporters in his victory message.

“There is no denying that there is a problem when so many of our hardworking activists feel that they are not welcome within our Party and that they have been slighted and shut out of the process,” he said in statement. “We cannot win the vital elections in 2018 and beyond without the energy, commitment and participation of every part of our Democratic family.”

The race, between a party insider and a progressive organizer, was a heated battle between divergent forces that are racking the Democratic Party nationwide. Bauman was a favorite of the party establishment, while Ellis drew the backing of liberals who supported Sen. Bernie Sanders in last year’s presidential primary. She has worked to train Democratic women to run for office.
    Earlier in the night, Ellis supporters had gathered in a meeting hall of the convention center as rumors of victory circulated, drawing cheers and hugs and victorious speeches. As it became clear that Ellis had not won, a woman led the crowd in singing, “We shall not be moved.”

RoseAnn DeMoro, the executive director of the California Nurses Assn., which backed Ellis, told the crowd that she doubted a recount would change the outcome.

“It is what it is. I’m sorry to tell you that. But you know what? It has very little to do with what you do out in the field, with what we do as an organization out in the field," DeMoro said. "So let’s talk about this where do you go from here. You don’t give up. You double down.”

Bauman, who has led the L.A. County party since 2000 and been a state party vice chairman since 2009, was initially expected to cruise to an easy victory in the chairperson’s race. But Ellis was a surprisingly strong rival, her candidacy driven by her dynamism on the stump and by the support of liberal activists who were tired of a party establishment that they believed failed them in the 2016 presidential campaign.

10:31 p.m.: This article has been updated to note that Kimberly Ellis has not conceded the race.

This article was originally published at 9:59 p.m.

I love the term 'bernout.' That's brilliant.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    There are no 2 species that are 100% identical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redditor
    can you leftist twits just fucking admit that quantum mechanics has fuck all to do with thermodynamics, that shit is just a pose?

Quote Originally Posted by Garnier Fructis View Post
    I love the term 'bernout.' That's brilliant.
    This.... this must stick.

Seriously. Fuck Bernie Sanders.

10+ Year Old Account
    Обединени социалистически щати на Америка
    Quote Originally Posted by Skroe View Post
    This.... this must stick.

Seriously. Fuck Bernie Sanders.
    Americans really have a hate boner for anything slightly left of center.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilrak View Post
    True, Democrats don't like 'Bernouts' who care more about left of center policy rather than strict tribal allegiance.
    Last edited by PC2; 2017-05-21 at 06:15 PM.

Eh even moderates aren't a huge fan of Sanders's policies because, as nice as some of his ideas are, they're largely too radical and promise too much to be feasible for the US without laying extensive groundwork. It leads to people being whipped into a frenzy with unrealistic expectations and wanting to burn down anyone and anything that doesn't agree. It gets in the way of immediate advancement and shuts down progressive discussion.

Sanders is honestly a good guy but he's sort of made his own left cult.
    Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    From my perspective it is an uncle who was is a "simple" slat of the earth person, who has religous beliefs I may or may not fully agree with, but who in the end of the day wants to go hope, kiss his wife, and kids, and enjoy their company.
    Connal defending child molestation

This isn't about them being left of center.

They are the people who wanted hardwood flooring but ended up with plastic tiles instead and responded by saying 'grab the gasoline, we're gonna bern our house down.'

In fact, I'd go so far as to say that these people don't actually care about the agenda of the left. How could they, when they would rather risk a Trump presidency which would do far more damage to liberal causes than a Clinton presidency? And lo and behold, a Trump presidency is what we got. And instead of doing some sort of self-reflection, they're just doubling down.

They are to the left what the Tea Party is to the right. Except that they have even less political sense than the Tea Party, which makes them dumber.
    can you leftist twits just fucking admit that quantum mechanics has fuck all to do with thermodynamics, that shit is just a pose?

10+ Year Old Account
    Обединени социалистически щати на Америка
    Quote Originally Posted by Bullettime View Post
    Eh even moderates aren't a huge fan of Sanders's policies because, as nice as some of his ideas are, they're largely too radical and promise too much to be feasible for the US without laying extensive groundwork. It leads to people being whipped into a frenzy with unrealistic expectations and wanting to burn down anyone and anything that doesn't agree. It gets in the way of immediate advancement and shuts down progressive discussion.

Sanders is honestly a good guy but he's sort of made his own left cult.
    I'd argue its more his cult that deserves the criticism, in that case. But I have zero experience with any hardcore Sanders fans.
    Although Sanders is hardly more radical most of our labour PMs, but like you said, it needs groundwork(Although Willem Drees here got a lot done during our WWII rebuild period), mostly political.

But overall, the US is far too liberal/right wing to make that switch suddenly. Will probably need a long while under Dems who are close to center(So no Clinton types) before moving on to Soc Dem values.

- - - Updated - - -

They are the people who wanted hardwood flooring but ended up with plastic tiles instead and responded by saying 'grab the gasoline, we're gonna bern our house down.'

In fact, I'd go so far as to say that these people don't actually care about the agenda of the left. How could they, when they would rather risk a Trump presidency which would do far more damage to liberal causes than a Clinton presidency? And lo and behold, a Trump presidency is what we got. And instead of doing some sort of self-reflection, they're just doubling down.

They are to the left what the Tea Party is to the right. Except that they have even less political sense than the Tea Party, which makes them dumber.
    I'm confused here, not supporting a certain chairman is now somehow supporting Trump? Huh? Tea Party of the left? Sanders is the only left winger..

Quote Originally Posted by PrimaryColor View Post
    True, Democrats don't like 'Bernouts' who care more about left of center policy rather than strict tribal allegiance.
    I can't take seriously any claims that they care about it when they were perfectly fine with getting a Trump presidency.

If Trump gets that healthcare bill through, and people start losing insurance? Bernouts helped make that happen.
    If his tax plan goes through and everything, including things liberals like, gets seriously underfunded? Bernouts helped make that happen.
    Removal of planned mortgage rate cuts, which help the poor? Bernouts helped make that happen.

Instead of making the rational decision, they decided to risk 4 years of misery on the people that the liberal agenda is supposed to aid in order to send a message. Well, they sent their message. And our response will be to remind them of their part every time something new and shitty happens.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm confused here, not supporting a certain chairman is now somehow supporting Trump? Huh? Tea Party of the left? Sanders is the only left winger..
    I was talking about Bernout behavior during the election. What we're seeing now with this Chairman business is an extension of that mentality.

I'd argue its more his cult that deserves the criticism, in that case. But I have zero experience with any hardcore Sanders fans.
    Although Sanders is hardly more radical most of our labour PMs, but like you said, it needs groundwork(Although Willem Drees here got a lot done during our WWII rebuild period), mostly political.

But overall, the US is far too liberal/right wing to make that switch suddenly. Will probably need a long while under Dems who are close to center(So no Clinton types) before moving on to Soc Dem values.

- - - Updated - - -

Sanders keeps feeding it which is why he draws some fire. He's using the attention he brought to himself during the campaign to play the whole radical lone wolf "representing democracy" act. He means well and most would agree Bernie does want what he thinks is best for the country. It's just a matter of him continually fanning the flames and ultimately getting the way of actual change.

It's why I didn't want Sanders for president. Sanders would do best as a ranking chair in senate's HELP committee.
    Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    From my perspective it is an uncle who was is a "simple" slat of the earth person, who has religous beliefs I may or may not fully agree with, but who in the end of the day wants to go hope, kiss his wife, and kids, and enjoy their company.
    Connal defending child molestation

7+ Year Old Account

You're claiming Bernie people don't actually care about left-wing policies?

It sounds like your philosophy is based on particular politicians and the lesser evil, as opposed to the merit of policy ideas.
    Last edited by PC2; 2017-05-21 at 06:27 PM.

If Trump gets that healthcare bill through, and people start losing insurance? Bernouts helped make that happen.
    If his tax plan goes through and everything, including things liberals like, gets seriously underfunded? Bernouts helped make that happen.
    Removal of planned mortgage rate cuts, which help the poor? Bernouts helped make that happen.
    Yeah, it couldn't possibly have anything to do with primary voters casting their ballots for someone who felt so entitled to the Presidency and took so many people for granted, that she ran arguably the worst general election campaign in political history.

Instead of making the rational decision, they decided to risk 4 years of misery on the people that the liberal agenda is supposed to aid in order to send a message. Well, they sent their message. And our response will be to remind them of their part every time something new and shitty happens.
    Go ahead, we'll be reminding all the Hillary primary voters of what a shitty candidate they nominated.

It sounds like your philosophy is based on particular politicians and the lesser evil, as opposed to the merit of policy ideas.
    Not particular politicians, no. But it definitely is based on 'the lesser evil.' And that's based on the observation that picking 'the lesser evil'
    1) does less damage to policy already implemented and
    2) maximizes the chance of implementing new policy.

What worth does pure idealism have when you're fine with a candidate that will actively work against your policy ideas?

Mind you, 'the lesser evil' isn't automatically someone on my side, either. If Democrats ever put up a liberal version of Trump? The Republican will almost surely be 'the lesser evil.'

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Souls View Post
    Yeah, it couldn't possibly have anything to do with primary voters casting their ballots for someone who felt so entitled to the Presidency and took so many people for granted, that she ran arguably the worst general election campaign in political history.
    How did you miss the campaign of Donald Trump? The whole thing was a dumpster fire; it's a miracle he won.

Go ahead, we'll be reminding all the Hillary primary voters of what a shitty candidate they nominated.
    A shitty candidate? Maybe insofar as she was the only candidate Trump could beat, sure. But guess what? Hillary was the only candidate out of the three who could actually have done anything to advance liberal ideas. That alone made her worth supporting.

Bernie would be about as effective as Trump is now, because that notion that he was going to bring a revolution that gave him a congress that backed him? That was a Kool-Aid drinking fantasy.

15+ Year Old Account

I do find a lot of hilarity in a person who once reviled and mocked far left ideology now cheering it on, simply because it's throwing gasoline and torches at the Democrat "ESTABLUSHMINT". And then this person goes on to talk about ideology over blind allegiance - someone who has in the past and present only shown blind allegiance. But that's pretty common among the right wing here. They mocked Bernie and his ideas, then once they realized fully what was going on, did a 180.

I would feel sympathy for them if Bernie had actually won the non-super-delegate section of the race, but he didn't even manage that, and to this day they scream that the primaries were stolen from them.

The Bernouts made it very very clear that if they weren't the most popular ideology on the left, then they'd burn everything to the ground. That's not sound or stable political ideology, that's insanity.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

I see sanders policies as an endgame we need to "level up" for if you would excuse the wow terms..
    It's to much in the short term for the US but in the long run a lot of it would benefit more people than the current GoP policies.

15+ Year Old Account
    How did you miss the campaign of Donald Trump? The whole thing was a dumpster fire; it's a miracle he won.
    A lot of people were mentally absent for all the trainwrecks of Trump's campaign. And many are still mentally absent from the entire trainyard being one giant pileup of train after train hitting a massive mountain of trains.

All they were there for was "MAGA!" "BUILD A WALL AND MAKE MEXICO PAY FOR IT!" "MUSLIM BAN!" "AMERICA FUCK YEAH!"
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

It was a dumpster fire, but it's not a miracle that he won. It just goes to show how god-awful a campaign Hillary ran.

7+ Year Old Account
    What worth does pure idealism have when you're fine with a candidate that will actively work against your policy ideas?
    I agree that pure abstract idealism is pointless by itself. But if you voted for a specific candidate like Ellis or Sanders in the primary election then by definition you are taking an action and going beyond pure idealism.

15+ Year Old Account
    I agree that pure abstract idealism is pointless by itself. But if you voted for a specific candidate like Ellis or Sanders in the primary election then by definition you are taking an action and going beyond pure idealism.
    Picking a candidate that most suits your political views, then vowing to burn the whole political system down if they don't win...

Sounds a lot more tribalistic than the people willing to compromise for an outcome that's more realistic...

Emphasis on 'primary.'