7+ Year Old Account
    i keep getting paired with high rated diamond players, what is this shit.

Formerly known as Arafal

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Janz View Post
    Yes, a Pharah can counter a Widow if Pharah gets the jump on her from close to mid range. Other than that, no, Pharah does not counter Widow, but exactly the opposite.
    I feel it's the use of the word "counter". A "counter" means they can more often than not win a matchup 1v1. It doesn't mean they're totally immune to the other hero. A Pharah that A> gets the drop on a Widowmaker and B> is in medium/close range can probably kill her, but a decent Widowmaker knows where that Pharah is, roughly, to begin with, and doesn't get that close. She gets into a position, and needs about a second for her charge to build, and POP, Pharah's dead. At these ranges, EVEN IF Pharah saw Widowmaker pop up and started shooting, her rockets probably won't reach Widowmaker before Pharah's killed, and then Widowmaker's moving away anyway. And this is assuming she needed to hookshot to a sightline; if she can scope up behind a wall, Pharah doesn't even get that second of time to act.

It all depends on how the Pharah is playing; if she's flying high and out of reach, she's hugely exposed from basically every angle and Widowmaker can take her shot from nearly anywhere. Advantage: Hugely in Widowmaker's favor.

If, however, Pharah is playing a close game and hovering close to the battlefield, Widowmaker probably can't get an easy shot from range, but there's also like a dozen heroes that COULD kill her easily, so it's not really the same kind of problem. Roadhog hooking her, any of the hitscan heroes (even Tracer/Reaper, at these ranges), etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    I feel it's the use of the word "counter". A "counter" means they can more often than not win a matchup 1v1. It doesn't mean they're totally immune to the other hero. A Pharah that A> gets the drop on a Widowmaker and B> is in medium/close range can probably kill her, but a decent Widowmaker knows where that Pharah is, roughly, to begin with, and doesn't get that close. She gets into a position, and needs about a second for her charge to build, and POP, Pharah's dead. At these ranges, EVEN IF Pharah saw Widowmaker pop up and started shooting, her rockets probably won't reach Widowmaker before Pharah's killed, and then Widowmaker's moving away anyway. And this is assuming she needed to hookshot to a sightline; if she can scope up behind a wall, Pharah doesn't even get that second of time to act.

It all depends on how the Pharah is playing; if she's flying high and out of reach, she's hugely exposed from basically every angle and Widowmaker can take her shot from nearly anywhere. Advantage: Hugely in Widowmaker's favor.

If, however, Pharah is playing a close game and hovering close to the battlefield, Widowmaker probably can't get an easy shot from range, but there's also like a dozen heroes that COULD kill her easily, so it's not really the same kind of problem. Roadhog hooking her, any of the hitscan heroes (even Tracer/Reaper, at these ranges), etc.
    I'd argue the issue with this situation is that it comes off very 1v1 at the start. If Widowmaker has to focus too much attention on keeping track of the Pharah, then she's missing out on sniping the rest of the enemies. And it's stupidly easy to tell when a Widowmaker is scoped in or not, so you can tell when it's safe to flank her or where she won't see you from.

And it's not even just about killing the Widowmaker, if you know where she is, you can rain rockets in that direction from a distance, forcing her to move before she can probably even get a shot off or die to the rockets (As long as it's with the element of surprise, ex- Widowmaker is trying to snipe your Mercy, you pop up and rain some rockets that way).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jester Joe View Post
    I'd argue the issue with this situation is that it comes off very 1v1 at the start. If Widowmaker has to focus too much attention on keeping track of the Pharah, then she's missing out on sniping the rest of the enemies. And it's stupidly easy to tell when a Widowmaker is scoped in or not, so you can tell when it's safe to flank her or where she won't see you from.

And it's not even just about killing the Widowmaker, if you know where she is, you can rain rockets in that direction from a distance, forcing her to move before she can probably even get a shot off or die to the rockets (As long as it's with the element of surprise, ex- Widowmaker is trying to snipe your Mercy, you pop up and rain some rockets that way).
    Pharah is ridiculously loud though, from her boosters, from her rockets which have almost as good an visual cue as Widow herself as well, and just her jetpack. Failing that, there's her ult. There's little chance that Widow won't know where Pharah is to get the drop on her.

Only time I ever have any issues is when she's managed to 'sneak' in close, but then even if she gets me she's then put herself in an incredibly vulnerable position to the rest of my team.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hooked on Ana at the moment. I tried to make the weekend all about getting more comfortable with the tanks but I can't play them (or dps) for long stretches w/o burning out. Healing is where the fun is at.

that's it. I'm sticking with genji and s76 for now when I comp next season. i'll tank if the situation calls for it but for now, dpsing will be my focus.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Daws001 View Post
    Hooked on Ana at the moment. I tried to make the weekend all about getting more comfortable with the tanks but I can't play them (or dps) for long stretches w/o burning out. Healing is where the fun is at.
    Ana is great. Won multiple games last weekend too with well timed nades and sleep darts. It's ridiculous that people think that swapping to a 3rd or 4th dps is actually better for them to rank up than playing Ana.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    I've gotten to the point where, with my combined player level (107) and MMR (Whatever it is?) that I'm always in games where I'm running into Player level 500+ folk in three-stacks who're just stomping everyone. Kinda wish there was a way to turn off matchmaking into pre-mades, because it is not fun to be on the other end of one of those when the 'team' on your end is a couple of guys who grouped up at the end of some other game and are just in it for the XP boost.

I'm wondering if I should dip into Comp, but the game makes me frustrated enough in QP that I don't know if that'll solve anything.

A quick Edit: Not that I'm blaming losses entirely on my team, or saying the above situation only happens to me, but there's only really so much a bunch of randos can do against a coordinated group that already outclasses them.
    Last edited by Xyonai; 2017-05-22 at 04:54 AM.

Field Marshal
    7+ Year Old Account
    The games i had last days have been just horrible.
    If i just ignore that 30-40% of players are just no longer interissted in winning (because it´s the end of the seasion) and start trolling, there are also players that play very, very poorly. I myself am no godlike being either. But when i see the oposite team has a phara, i know i should not switch TO junkrat. Should become McCree or 76 to counter her. But the teammats don´t think like i do.. if they even think at all.

Or getting enemy grandmasters on their smurf-accounts. Even named "Smurf_XY" and we totally get stomped. But.. well..

Even when playing with mates that are diamond and byond, at least 1 of 3 games, the randoms don´t consider playing to win.

Droped from 2800+ down to 2600+. Don´t think i´ll reach diamond this time.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Xyonai View Post
    I'm wondering if I should dip into Comp, but the game makes me frustrated enough in QP that I don't know if that'll solve anything.
    Yes. Comp even on the lowest of low ranks is better than QP.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Janz View Post
    Yes. Comp even on the lowest of low ranks is better than QP.
    I think I'll do my placements tomorrow, then, and see what happens.

10+ Year Old Account
    Didn't sleep well. Had a hankering to play more Ana. Jumped into some early morning QP...holy crap balls. Shit teams + my no sleep grumpiness = bad mix. It is absolutely maddening that like 90% of my teams consist of some combo of Hanzo, Widow, Genji, McCree, Torb, Sym. It's as if tanking and healing doesn't exist in QP. It's maddening!

I'm remembering why I played so much comp last season. Getting bitter. Need sleep.
    Last edited by Daws001; 2017-05-22 at 12:32 PM.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zito View Post
    that's what I want to know, I'm usually mercy and we just lose last minute because for whatever reason the team chokes. Roadhog literally walks in to 1 vs 6 for no reason or nobody wants to go soilder or mccree to deal with the pharah OR THE TEAM WONT GROUP UP AND IS LIKE HEAAAALLZZZ
    So actually the problem is with the grouping up thing. Try leading the team from the very beginning as this is needed in public gaming. Secondly, if your team is not picking any appropriate healer/supporter, pick on and save their asses. Smart picks is one of the important things to take notice of.
    - says Ralph

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xyonai View Post
    I think I'll do my placements tomorrow, then, and see what happens.
    If you do I wouldn't judge comp by the games you are going to get right now.

Season 4 ends in about a week and the quality of the games has dropped significantly.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Jessicka View Post
    Wish people wouldn't play Mei, Symm or Junk, any of those three and it's a waste. They're half heroes, there's too much they simply cannot do. All three of them need close quarters but can't get it if their team is grouped.
    I think any of those three, if well played, can make a significant contribution to a team. Obviously you have to take into account the map and the other team, just like with any picks.

You have to think outside the box with characters like these more than your basic picks. All three are still better than a sniper pick But I am also anti-sniper in general.
    Last edited by xerus; 2017-05-22 at 01:37 PM.

Deleted
    Capped all the way on Route 66 with 4 minutes and 16 second remaining, defend decently until the server decided to throw out two people on the enemy team and three people from our team instantaneously not letting them rejoin. Ended up losing big time since we were literally playing 3v4, impossible to win...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by xerus View Post
    I think any of those three, if well played, can make a significant contribution to a team. Obviously you have to take into account the map and the other team, just like with any picks.

You have to think outside the box with characters like these more than your basic picks. All three are still better than a sniper pick But I am also anti-sniper in general.
    A sniper if well played can make a significant contribution to a team.

And no, they're not better; they're all so easily dealt with from a position they can do nothing about or just rolled over by tanks once the team is in their effective 'zone' that they are more often than not just a waste of time. Mei is the worst of that bunch because any mistake with her wall can, and will, give your opponent a massive advantage, making her worse than not being there.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by By the Emperor View Post
    Capped all the way on Route 66 with 4 minutes and 16 second remaining, defend decently until the server decided to throw out two people on the enemy team and three people from our team instantaneously not letting them rejoin. Ended up losing big time since we were literally playing 3v4, impossible to win...
    These throws were due to incompetent game play or connectivity issues? Cuz 3v4 is actually tough to win
    - says Ralph

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jessicka View Post
    A sniper if well played can make a significant contribution to a team.

And no, they're not better; they're all so easily dealt with from a position they can do nothing about or just rolled over by tanks once the team is in their effective 'zone' that they are more often than not just a waste of time. Mei is the worst of that bunch because any mistake with her wall can, and will, give your opponent a massive advantage, making her worse than not being there.
    Again, the problem is that most snipers are not well played and to play them well you have to play better than everyone else.

Mei probably takes the most skill of the three to contribute meaningfully when she can't get in their face. Sym can negate half the tanks by virtue of being able to ignore their shields and can potentially wreck a choke point defense. A well played Junkrat can destroy a tank line (or the back line) if he is any good.

But just like any heroes, there are times to pick them and times when someone else would be a better pick. I won't hate on someone who picks them in comp, but people that do pick them need to read the other team when you can see their picks and change it up if needed or asked.

Quote Originally Posted by proralph View Post
    So actually the problem is with the grouping up thing. Try leading the team from the very beginning as this is needed in public gaming. Secondly, if your team is not picking any appropriate healer/supporter, pick on and save their asses. Smart picks is one of the important things to take notice of.
    It's solo que on console. Nobody does voice chat and the people who do have their Mic on with background noises like dogs or screaming baby's and people like to run in and try to be a solo hero
    Pokemon FC: 4425-2708-3610

I received a day one ORAS demo code. I am a chosen one.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by xerus View Post
    Again, the problem is that most snipers are not well played and to play them well you have to play better than everyone else.

Mei probably takes the most skill of the three to contribute meaningfully when she can't get in their face. Sym can negate half the tanks by virtue of being able to ignore their shields and can potentially wreck a choke point defense. A well played Junkrat can destroy a tank line (or the back line) if he is any good.

But just like any heroes, there are times to pick them and times when someone else would be a better pick. I won't hate on someone who picks them in comp, but people that do pick them need to read the other team when you can see their picks and change it up if needed or asked.
    The same is every bit as true for those heroes as you think it is for snipers. Yet, you hate on snipers, but not on those. Because it's cool to hate on snipers.