Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    Deleted

Duterte can apparently do some good after all, going after smokers

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/18/w...ilippines.html
    http://edition.cnn.com/2017/05/19/he...t-smoking-ban/
    https://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...-a7744711.html

So the crazy, bloodthirsty dictator of the Philippines, Rodrigo Duterte, is apparently going after smokers in a serious way. It's weird when monsters do something you actually agree with, isn't it? Personally, I can absolutely get behind banning smoking completely. Ban smoking completely, everywhere. That's what I say. If cannabis is ever legalized in Finland, I'll just inject it or something.

Can I be the Tennisace of smoking? Here I go with the smoker shaming. Choke on your cancer smoke.

10+ Year Old Account
    I can't get behind infringing on people's freedoms, because I'm not a dictator but hey! To each his own. I mean, its the Philippines.

Quote Originally Posted by Phookah View Post
    I can't get behind infringing on people's freedoms, because I'm not a dictator but hey! To each his own. I mean, its the Philippines.
    Drugs are banned, why shouldnt tobacco?

banning anything is like walking up to a child, pointing at a rock, telling them "don't pick up that rock!" and acting surprised when they decide to pick it up.

Their body, their choice. I can easily get behind banning smoking in public, but beyond that let people live how they want in their own property.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    It's just a public ban, basically like in Cali. You can smoke in your house, just not where others are subjected to your second hand smoke. As a smoker I don't have a problem with this really, it's a filthy habit.
    Yep, that's entirely fine by me.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Sky High View Post
    banning anything is like walking up to a child, pointing at a rock, telling them "don't pick up that rock!" and acting surprised when they decide to pick it up.
    Don't ban the rock, just the action of throwing the rock at someone else.
    The wise wolf who's pride is her wisdom isn't so sharp as drunk.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    It's just a public ban, basically like in Cali. You can smoke in your house, just not where others are subjected to your second hand smoke. As a smoker I don't have a problem with this really, it's a filthy habit.
    Oh, sure then. I'm all down for not making non smokers deal with it in public. This is coming from an ex-smoker.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Zeta333 View Post
    Drugs are banned, why shouldnt tobacco?
    This bait is not fresh, no bite

This is just another avenue for police to beat and extort people.

Deleted
    I'd just love to keep my windows open in my apartment building flat, and not have it turned into some dive that smells of shit and tobacco.

I mean, the shit smell is my own fault. Obviously. I just don't want the cancer gas in my flat. What evs.

Quote Originally Posted by kail View Post
    Don't ban the rock, just the action of throwing the rock at someone else.
    which I'm not opposed to if this wasn't the Philippines and Duterte we're talking about.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Netherspark View Post
    This is just another avenue for police to beat and extort people.
    Kinda was my thought, any incidental good that will come of this is just gravy. It's more about a dictator enforcing his will on people because he wasn't hugged enough growing up or whatever.

Deleted
    I don't really like only-in-house smoking idea tbh. And that's when I think mostly of smoking parents, forcing their children to inhale it (did social workers anywhere ever taken children away because their parents were smoking?), making it worse than if they smoked 'in public' outside, then I also think about all those people like delivery workers, plumbers, etc. who have to enter such house anyway to earn their bread.

IMO any 'smoking' drugs should be banned totally. You can't really controll the air, it's either banned or allowed. It's much different with drugs that are not 'air-bound'.

Quote Originally Posted by Sky High View Post
    which I'm not opposed to if this wasn't the Philippines and Duterte we're talking about.
    I have little faith in him as well.
    The wise wolf who's pride is her wisdom isn't so sharp as drunk.

Quote Originally Posted by Rilch View Post
    I don't really like only-in-house smoking idea tbh. And that's when I think mostly of smoking parents, forcing their children to inhale it (did social workers anywhere ever taken children away because their parents were smoking?), making it worse than if they smoked 'in public' outside, then I also think about all those people like delivery workers, plumbers, etc. who have to enter such house anyway to earn their bread.

IMO any 'smoking' drugs should be banned totally. You can't really controll the air, it's either banned or allowed. It's much different with drugs that are not 'air-bound'.
    this, i wish we could ban tobacco all together. Shit has zero benifit, only gives people cancer. Costs billions yearly in healthcare and is literally sold to hook people and keep them addicted.

Quote Originally Posted by Sydänyö View Post
    https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/18/w...ilippines.html
    http://edition.cnn.com/2017/05/19/he...t-smoking-ban/
    https://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...-a7744711.html

So the crazy, bloodthirsty dictator of the Philippines, Rodrigo Duterte, is apparently going after smokers in a serious way. It's weird when monsters do something you actually agree with, isn't it? Personally, I can absolutely get behind banning smoking completely. Ban smoking completely, everywhere. That's what I say. If cannabis is ever legalized in Finland, I'll just inject it or something.

Can I be the Tennisace of smoking? Here I go with the smoker shaming. Choke on your cancer smoke.
    ISIS also beats people for smoking. Sounds like you guys have something in common

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeta333 View Post
    this, i wish we could ban tobacco all together. Shit has zero benifit, only gives people cancer. Costs billions yearly in healthcare and is literally sold to hook people and keep them addicted.
    Some people chew tobacco though, or so I've heard. My point is that if you smoke, you inevitably infrige someone's else rights, no matter how hard you try to avoid it, because - you can't control the air. Same goes for smoking marijuana, even if it was healthy - someone might not want to inhale it. Other drugs that you take directly don't have this problem, even if they might be hundret times more dangerous for one's health.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nearby, preventing you from fast traveling.
    What makes you think he'll stop at simply 'banning' smoking? I'm expecting even more blood.

10+ Year Old Account
    SOOOoooooo when is he gonna have people executed for smoking?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post
    SOOOoooooo when is he gonna have people executed for smoking?
    Let's hope never.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sydänyö View Post
    Let's hope never.
    aaahh hahah...... ha...... oh geez

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rilch View Post
    Some people chew tobacco though, or so I've heard. My point is that if you smoke, you inevitably infrige someone's else rights, no matter how hard you try to avoid it, because - you can't control the air. Same goes for smoking marijuana, even if it was healthy - someone might not want to inhale it. Other drugs that you take directly don't have this problem, even if they might be hundret times more dangerous for one's health.
    Me standing on my porch smoking a cigarette infringes on literally 0 peoples rights, so your entire argument falls apart. There's a point at which smoke/exhaust what-have-you is considered dissipated into the air and isn't going to harm you anymore than taking a breath of air 20 feet away.