Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Does Super Mario Brothers really need a special hat to prove that you're capable of beating the game without dying once ?

Most of Ghostcrawler's Game Design commentary applies to the very limited marketplace of MMO's... and it's open to argument whether it really applies to all of that genre.

Even flipping through the Blizzard games roster, most of them are pretty lacking in the "prestigious snowflake rewards" for the top 0.01% of players, but are surviving quite well.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaylock View Post
    In the latest post by Ghostcrawler
    Can we just please stop posting what GC says on his tumblr. Those who are interested can bookmark it, but I don't see why it has to be on the fucking front page every week. The dude quit WoW years ago. C'mon, this is beyond stupid even for MMOC.

Quote Originally Posted by vkpush View Post
    Non-mythic raiders in this thread thinking that clearing mythic raids is only about spending more time than any other player, classical facepalm moment. The "bad" players are mostly carried in their guilds, and the "bad" players aren't even close to as bad as the truly bad players. Before you've played at that level and know what it takes you shouldn't probably open your mouth about such things, just makes you look bad.

Skill should be rewarded because it might help motivate players to become better. If there's actually NOTHING to strive for in this game it will die out even faster, cus believe it or not, many casuals want to be good at WoW and earn those things. Take that away and nobody will give a fuck.

TLDR: People have a hard time realising they're actually just bad at the game and no time or effort will make them kill the hardest stuff. This is why there are heroic only guilds that raid the same amount of hours as guilds that cleared mythic weeks ago. Gear/Achievements that only exist at top level (even if small %) must exist because it motivates EVERYONE to play better, not just the top end.
    Skill is not the only thing that should be rewarded imo, I think commitment should be rewarded as well. For a while now you've been able to deck out your character in full epic gear by putting in the minimum possible effort/skill/time commitment. This is why obtaining epic gear (and now legendary gear lol) means absolutely nothing anymore; there's no prestige, no excitement and no incentive to get more other than to make your character stronger so that you can continue doing meaningless, irrelevant content that can be completed by everyone with no effort.

If players had to commit their time or skill into getting good rewards (gear, mounts, legendaries, gold, anything), the game would be better for everyone because you'd have a much greater incentive to obtain these rewards. Not only would you be excited when you obtained something, but you'd be able to differentiate your character from others by obtaining things that not many other players have.

Even people that only play for like 2 hours a day and aren't very skilled would be able to obtain items that they can be proud of by committing the time that they do have into obtaining specific items.

In the latest post by Ghostcrawler, he says that he is a big fan exclusive, prestige rewards for the best players.

He also mentions that there should be content for all types of players, however he is in favor of time-limited and rewards that people aspire to, but are never able to obtain.

I think the reason he feels this way is because having aspirations in the game make players better. It also gives players goals to go try to achieve.

Back in TBC, I aspired to be a raider and clear BT and Sunwell because of the fact that it was prestigious. It was cool because I liked that other players saw my gear and wanted to become like me and try to obtain the gear that I had. It felt good because the gear was unique and if a player had T6 gear, it meant they were good players.

Now that gear is so diluted, especially since the same look is obtainable in different difficulties, just with different color variations, it loses some of its umph and prestige. Blizzard is known for being wishy washy on their stance, but one stance that I really wish they would go back to is the WoD model of gear, where the tier gear looked different from the tourist gear.

Do you agree with Ghostcrawler?
    Mythic items have different models than everything else. Not just a recolour.

Quote Originally Posted by vkpush View Post
    Many players i've played with in mythic raiding guilds (semi-hardcore, 3 nights a week) are highly successful in real life too. Because they're not retarded and can handle playing 3 nights a week and at the same time be successful in real life. The amount of no-lifers that do nothing but game is pretty slim.

It just looks to me that you hate people that are better than you at something. Implying that to be better than you they'd have to raid all day everyday. What a ridiculous statement.
    I dont hate ppl who have success ingame or RL, I just dont like the idea, of catering to the 1% because it will turn away players, who would have continued playing, because they can get the same gear, eventually. The Millenials and special snowflakes, are a plague in wow, and alot of other games.

And I myself, am abit successfull in RL aswell, im a manager of a large (by danish standards) University bookstore, and got there from lowly grunt to manager in 5 years. I agree, its not like being the head of Apple or something similar, but I love my job, I love my co-workers, and the ppl who comes to us for special council on what books to get for a special assignment, or when they have to do a turnus at a hospital etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Svad1287 View Post
    I dont hate ppl who have success ingame or RL, I just dont like the idea, of catering to the 1% because it will turn away players, who would have continued playing, because they can get the same gear, eventually. The Millenials and special snowflakes, are a plague in wow, and alot of other games.

And I myself, am abit successfull in RL aswell, im a manager of a large (by danish standards) University bookstore, and got there from lowly grunt to manager in 5 years. I agree, its not like being the head of Apple or something similar, but I love my job, I love my co-workers, and the ppl who comes to us for special council on what books to get for a special assignment, or when they have to do a turnus at a hospital etc.

no.. its newfags who are a cancer in every game nowadays.. who want to do nothing but still want the best shit available in the game handed to them.. thats why gaming industry is ass nowadays.. thats why all the games are boring and easy

Quote Originally Posted by Craaazyyy View Post
    no.. its newfags who are a cancer in every game nowadays.. who want to do nothing but still want the best shit available in the game handed to them.. thats why gaming industry is ass nowadays.. thats why all the games are boring and easy
    Whatever dude, keep on having that opinion, im sure it will grant you great you great mental wealth having that attitude.

Deleted
    WoW isnt the sowjet nation were everyone gets the same no matter what the individual is doing.

A special performance is worth a special reward. If there is a goal which requires skill, stress and time then this goal should deliver an adequate reward.

All the legion mess happend because all players want to have anything no matter what difficulty of content they want to play. This is why legion has so much d3 influences.

The next step is to maintain the legion reward system in general but to remove differences between the difficulties ilvls. Baseline ilvl for all difficulties. The competition bracket dont care about ingame rewards.
    Last edited by mmoca163a27034; 2017-05-22 at 05:20 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    For putting in the poor mans worth of effort, you get the poor mans looking gear.
    that shit wasn't even worth putting in the game and i say that as someone who spent as little time possible in LFR and despises LFR for everything that it is. a garbage bag would have had more appeal.

It's really unforgivable how shit armor in this game looks when there are games out there with much less ambitious goals that are making much better quality content with less money.

Quote Originally Posted by Anduin Menethil View Post
    Bullshit. If you get a raid set, you get the stats with it. People who get lower itemlevel items that use the same appearance don't get the same high stats. So good players are still rewarded. Good players have always had better rewards. Giving casual players only shitty looking sets is a terrible idea. Way to make us feel indifferent to new sets when we won't get them anyway. It's a big fuck you to player's faces. "Fuck off and transmog something old you scrub"
    Typical person who doesn't understand the game. Ilvl and stats are NOT a reward. They are tools for doing your job in game. So bullshit right back at you.

Also stop saying casual players because "casual" players can easily clear heroic and maybe some mythic(once the next tier is out if they want to xrealm). It's BAD players who are barred from things and that is a good thing. Good players are not being rewarded.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Svad1287 View Post
    Whatever dude, keep on having that opinion, im sure it will grant you great you great mental wealth having that attitude.
    It's pretty factual. Bad players who want things handed to them are the ones who were calling good players special snowflakes because they were resentful retards.

Quote Originally Posted by McNeil View Post
    I do. But I wish this board would stop posting his stuff, as of now he's just some individual who hasn't even played WoW for years.
    You just described all the haters on these forums.

It's fine for some stuff to be exclusive and time-limited, and really only obtainable by the top percentage. Just as long as there isn't too much stuff like that. Mounts and titles, fine. That stuff's just cosmetic anyway. Though I do wish old Elite pvp sets were still obtainable; I'd like the purple version of the DK tier 18 set.

But note that Ghostcrawler also goes on to say fun stuff should be highly available. That means things like toys, mostly, and those are almost never locked behind top-percentage stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Anduin Menethil View Post
    I love your sig.
    Thanks.

(So did Blizzard, I assume. If you run Stormstout Brewery enough times...)
    OMG 13:37 - Then Jesus said to His disciples, "Cleave unto me, and I shall grant to thee the blessing of eternal salvation."

And His disciples said unto Him, "Can we get Kings instead?"

Deleted
    I liked ICC raid model the most, 10 and 25 normal/heroic had different loot, Legendary wep was only from 25M etc. The one good thing from WoD was that LFR had random lookin gear, ofc you could just transmog it but still, if you wanted the appearance then you had to actually do harder content to get it. Atm, better players get better BASE ILVL loot BUT, LFR and Mythic content CAN drom the same ilvl gear still, RNG is the only factor there, nothing else.

I actually like when games have rewards that are skill based when they are current content. It's like an extra cherry on top to be playing, to work and aspire for the rewards you really want. The content shouldn't be removed (that's dumb) but the rewards staying for those who completed a hard challenge when it was current? That's cool.

I won't be upset when I see other players who have the Gladiator title or mounts that I can no longer get. I recognize that they completed something difficult at the time and got a cool reward for it. People like to give flak to others for wanting to "be special snow flakes" but when it comes to cosmetic things, what is actually wrong with being a snowflake?

Quote Originally Posted by purebalance View Post
    Typical person who doesn't understand the game. Ilvl and stats are NOT a reward. They are tools for doing your job in game. So bullshit right back at you.

Also stop saying casual players because "casual" players can easily clear heroic and maybe some mythic(once the next tier is out if they want to xrealm). It's BAD players who are barred from things and that is a good thing. Good players are not being rewarded.

- - - Updated - - -

It's pretty factual. Bad players who want things handed to them are the ones who were calling good players special snowflakes because they were resentful retards.
    Do you have actual proof of that, or are you just pulling it out of your rectum?

I don't personally like it (because I have inferiority issues sometimes), but it's entirely fair.
    Quote Originally Posted by shrunken View Post
    rare honest post
    I would also say far more adult compared to those who have to toss insults to try and make themselves seem mature.

10+ Year Old Account
    I agree with Ghostcrawler completely.

I also clearly see that many people will disagree. And that's fine.

But at the end of the day, whether you personally like it or not, that sort of pot of gold at the end of the rainbow drives so many players to push themselves further, get better at the game, bond closer with their guild to defeat new challenges together etc.

Do you personally have to hero-worship that guild with full server-firsts/mounts/titles? No. You don't have to give a flying fuck if you don't want. But lots of people do want to be the best, and some like to be recognised for it.

At least having the option there is great for those who want it, and should be borderline irrelevant to those who don't.

I remember seeing the first Thunderfuries etc in BGs/Orgrimmar in Vanilla, and thinking.. shit, I want one of those. And you know what? I worked hard, joined a good guild, and got one on my Rogue just for kicks before the end of the expansion. And it felt fucking amazing to have achieved that goal, even though MC was obviously irrelevant by that time.

Even now, being completely casual, it's still fun to see those people who aren't so casual get cool stuff and being happy about it. It's not essential to be a toxic, jealous douchebag, I've found.

Deleted
    Best Player are "skilled" or just "commit 10+hours per day doing 400 attemp per boss until they know it, like now?"

There is no actually "skill" in wow, you just do the "boss" in 400 attempts over 2 months like WF or 400attemps over 4 months (with nerf) like semi-hardcore guild
    or just outscale/outgear/roflstomp the encounter (HFC arcane mage ringu) or any challenge mode for artifact skin

And this why? because DEVS and GhostCrawler TOO when he was a DEV, decided to tune down the game.

There was some kind of "epic - skilled base" quest in Vanilla like Hunter/Priest one, even with t2gear werent "roflstomping" like "challenging " quest in legion.

Game changed and thus how "skill" and "best player" means now
    Last edited by mmocbfa8dc246d; 2017-05-22 at 07:37 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Plutarch78 View Post
    Do I care if other players faceroll it with their lvl 110 toons and get the same title? Not at all. Its special to me and thats what counts.
    Thats mayor difference between you and others.
    They need reward to be special to OTHERS and get other peoples approval (out of own insecurities or whatever), while you are satisfied with reward and you dont need others for you to enjoy it.