Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Post Having trouble deciding do i continue my subscription.

I have been playing WoW since early vanilla with only a few months of break per year.
    While i am not a fan of some changes that have happened to WoW since its release i am overall still a fan of the game.

In every expansion i did all the usual stuff like cleared all raids and dungeons, fought a lot in battlegrounds and arenas, grinded best-in-slot gear, completed all quests, leveled all classes to max and played every spec, explored all zones, dabbled in pet battles, all professions on maximum with all the relevant recipes, auction house stuff, world PVP, a bit of roleplaying, got all the achievements i cared about, seasonal events, timewalking...

As i am slowly nearing 30 years of age i find myself really disliking any form of "schedule" or "obligation" within a game (plenty of that IRL).
    The biggest form of that in WoW are the Guilds with all the various organized activities and raid schedules that i just don't want to participate in on a regular basis.
    Sometimes i don't mind and i would gladly team up with guild-mates, but more often than not farming AP or doing the same raid for the Nth time isn't high on my list of fun things to do in my free time - especially since i do not need any better gear since i am not actively raiding.

And to be frank i kinda did the current Raids on the difficulty i cared to do them on so i am not really keen on raiding all that much.
    The Mythic+ Dungeons with some friends or randoms are kinda fun but on their own they can't really justify a monthly subscription, unless Blizz adds many more dungeons and "modifiers" to increase variety.
    Same with PvP - it is a nice occasional activity for me but just does not warrant a monthly subscription.

So i am making this thread wishing that someone who is or has been in this kind of a situation can suggest what is there left to do in WoW for someone like me.
    People who are around 20y of age experience WoW (and everything else) a lot differently than the 30y old geezers, so i am hoping someone similar to me has found something really fun to do in WoW that i have missed (and is worth a monthly subscription).

Deleted
    I am 31 in 4 weeks, being playing since 2005. I don't do anything scheduled and rarely cba to raid but Legion is definitely pushing the unnecessary tasks and chore mentality. If I wasn't into RP I would quit and play better games like FFXIV

Deleted
    Just quit the damn thing instead of looking for confirmation bias that'll keep you playing. Imagine all the things you could've done for the past 12 years if you hadn't wasted time on WoW. Gonna spend another 10 years wasting time and watching your life pass you by doing "achievements"?

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm kinda in the same situation.. nearing 31 myself and playing since classic aswel I'm just doing things that are fun not really anything mandatory anymore. My guild needs an extra dps every so often which is fun to do - the occasional BG aswel. I can spare the money and I really love Warcraft, it's not that I feel I HAVE to play, I still enjoy it so theres enough reason for me personally to just keep playing. If you don't feel that I'd suggest cancelling yeah.

Quote Originally Posted by Jebachina View Post
    Just quit the damn thing instead of looking for confirmation bias that'll keep you playing. Imagine all the things you could've done for the past 12 years if you hadn't wasted time on WoW. Gonna spend another 10 years wasting time and watching your life pass you by doing "achievements"?
    Time spend having fun isn't really wasting it considering everything in life is useless anyway so that's just such a stupid argument.

Quote Originally Posted by Aleksej89 View Post
    I have been playing WoW since early vanilla with only a few months of break per year.
    While i am not a fan of some changes that have happened to WoW since its release i am overall still a fan of the game.

In every expansion i did all the usual stuff like cleared all raids and dungeons, fought a lot in battlegrounds and arenas, grinded best-in-slot gear, completed all quests, leveled all classes to max and played every spec, explored all zones, dabbled in pet battles, all professions on maximum with all the relevant recipes, auction house stuff, world PVP, a bit of roleplaying, got all the achievements i cared about, seasonal events, timewalking...

As i am slowly nearing 30 years of age i find myself really disliking any form of "schedule" or "obligation" within a game (plenty of that IRL).
    The biggest form of that in WoW are the Guilds with all the various organized activities and raid schedules that i just don't want to participate in on a regular basis.
    Sometimes i don't mind and i would gladly team up with guild-mates, but more often than not farming AP or doing the same raid for the Nth time isn't high on my list of fun things to do in my free time - especially since i do not need any better gear since i am not actively raiding.

And to be frank i kinda did the current Raids on the difficulty i cared to do them on so i am not really keen on raiding all that much.
    The Mythic+ Dungeons with some friends or randoms are kinda fun but on their own they can't really justify a monthly subscription, unless Blizz adds many more dungeons and "modifiers" to increase variety.
    Same with PvP - it is a nice occasional activity for me but just does not warrant a monthly subscription.

So i am making this thread wishing that someone who is or has been in this kind of a situation can suggest what is there left to do in WoW for someone like me.
    People who are around 20y of age experience WoW (and everything else) a lot differently than the 30y old geezers, so i am hoping someone similar to me has found something really fun to do in WoW that i have missed (and is worth a monthly subscription).
    I am 50 and have been playing the game since release. I have a civilian and part time military job, a wife and two kids. Raid on weekends. If wow isnt for you it isnt for you.
    There is no Bad RNG just Bad LTP

This post is merely to confirm your biases, to find a way to keep going.

The logical answer is: Entertainment is necessary to keep sane and you need to enjoy your life. Therefore, anything that's not "pain for a better future" is not worth. If WoW no longer makes you happy, quit it.

The answer you're looking for: Blizzard will never update the format of the game. You're not going to unsub, no way, otherwise you wouldn't have asked. Just wait until ToS comes back.

Actionable advice: Take a break. I understand the HC clear gives you loot this week, but just take a break for the time being. 1-2 weeks. See how it goes.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Rush2803 View Post
    Time spend having fun isn't really wasting it considering everything in life is useless anyway so that's just such a stupid argument.
    You really think this is up for debate? Playing games is a waste of time no matter the entertainment factor. You should have fun and entertain yourself to a degree which includes playing games occasionally. Life is not only about entertainment, it's about making a better version of yourself but you have to have a right mindset for it.

Since you dismissed my comment with one the biggest oxymoron this boards have seen plenty of time, one can assume that you have a basement dwelling mindset of a loser who will never achieve anything but hide in a virtual reality doing achievements to compensate for his insecurities and lack of ambition.

Well thank you all for replying.

I do have plenty of entertainment in my life, be they games or friends or studying something interesting or career related.

I was just wondering was WoW actually worth keeping as a form of entertainment for someone who has played it as thoroughly as i and no longer feels the "passion" to raid or ranked-pvp.

If it wasn't subscription based then i would not have this dilemma but since 13e/month is not small where i live i have to decide.

Unless some fellow geezer has a really fun suggestion about an activity in WOW i will probably take a break until something big gets changed or added.
    Last edited by Aleksej89; 2017-05-22 at 02:34 PM.

It's a game, you're not making a decision between life or death for a loved one here...

Do you enjoy it? Then keep playing. Do you not enjoy it and feel like it's a chore and something you do just for the sake of doing it? Then quit. It's evident that a lot of players frequenting this forum fall under the second category yet stick around and make themselves miserable. It's pathetic.

I do have plenty of entertainment in my life, be they games or friends or studying something interesting or career related.

I was just wondering was WoW actually worth keeping as a form of entertainment for someone who has played it as thoroughly as i and no longer feels the "passion" to raid or ranked-pvp.

If it wasn't subscription based then i would not have this dilemma but since 13e/month is not small where i live i have to decide.

Unless some fellow geezer has a really fun suggestion about an activity in WOW i will probably take a break until something big gets changed or added.
    Nobody can decide that besides yourself. You might as well be asking us to pick your favorite color and music for you. If you enjoy it and have the time play, if you don't enjoy it or no longer have the time to spare then move on.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jebachina View Post
    You really think this is up for debate? Playing games is a waste of time no matter the entertainment factor. You should have fun and entertain yourself to a degree which includes playing games occasionally. Life is not only about entertainment, it's about making a better version of yourself but you have to have a right mindset for it.

Since you dismissed my comment with one the biggest oxymoron this boards have seen plenty of time, one can assume that you have a basement dwelling mindset of a loser who will never achieve anything but hide in a virtual reality doing achievements to compensate for his insecurities and lack of ambition.
    Obviously it is up for debate, the only problem here is that you're the kind of person that thinks your way is the only way, making you the loser here. But go ahead make a better version of yourself... it might take a while though considering the condescending way you talk to people around here.

Meanwhile I'll happily sit in my basement and enjoy my time the way that's fun for me.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by adam86shadow View Post
    I am 31 in 4 weeks, being playing since 2005. I don't do anything scheduled and rarely cba to raid but Legion is definitely pushing the unnecessary tasks and chore mentality. If I wasn't into RP I would quit and play better games like FFXIV
    There isn't any better MMORPG then WoW, that's the sad part.
    And WoW itself isn't in a good state aswell. Only reason i haven't quit yet is because there isn't anything.
    Not 1 MMORPG is pleasing me right now. When i was younger, i remember seeing good MMORPG's that i loved.

I guess my taste of MMORPG's is just gone and newer styled ones are just not my cup of tea.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shekora View Post
    Goddamn it, Gimlix, why do you keep making these threads?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam the Wiser View Post
    Goddamn it, Gimlix, why do you keep making these threads?

Deleted

Not to be rude, but really only you can make that decision. I don't get these kind of threads.

If you have to ask to keep playing, you should probably just quit.

Quote Originally Posted by Gimlix View Post
    There isn't any better MMORPG then WoW, that's the sad part.
    And WoW itself isn't in a good state aswell. Only reason i haven't quit yet is because there isn't anything.
    Not 1 MMORPG is pleasing me right now. When i was younger, i remember seeing good MMORPG's that i loved.

I guess my taste of MMORPG's is just gone and newer styled ones are just not my cup of tea.
    FFXIV is not a bad game.

Hell I've seen people return to Runescape of all things.

Deleted
    the 30y old geezers
    First of all, let's get this out of the way first: lol

Allright then.
    It's as simple as this:
    If you don't enjoy the game, quit.

I know the game is designed to keep you playing 24/7, but if that's not compatible with your life at the moment, then just play until you feel like "you've done it all" and unsub and do something else. You can always dip back in when next expac/patch comes and do that content.

WoW doesn't have to be continuous "chore".

For my own part, I'm a bit over 50. I still enjoy raiding, though with Legion requirements with AP I felt Mythic was taking too much time/effort so I switched to more casual approach (2 day Heroic guild with no attendance requirements). I run M+ weekly with my guild, don't really care about the keys too much, it's just "fun" thing to do one night a week, sometimes we do a RBG or two. I enjoy the community we have in the guild - and we play other games together (Heroes, Overwatch, Tabletop Simulator) as well (on a similar "fun/casual" mindset).

Sometimes life gets in the way and I might go week or two without logging in, but the sub isn't exactly expensive, so whatever. I dip in when I have time and feel like doing stuff with my guild - that's the way it's always been.

If I'd ever feel like things are a chore or too much work / not enough bang for buck - then I'd just play something else until I feel like logging into WoW again.

It's not a ball and chain.

My advice for you would be: 1) Find a guild that fits your schedule / playstyle. Maybe a guild/community that does other stuff than just WoW. 2) If that doesn't sound like fun, take a break - your life is busy then you're 30, building family and career at the same time takes a lot. It'll get easier in about 20 years

Also, if you have to ask the questions you're asking - you should probably quit already. I think you know this.

And finally, none of us here can take this decision for you, it's not a objective matter. So in a way this is one of those "choose my class"-threads. Unfortunately
    Last edited by mmoc0e47cbaaf5; 2017-05-22 at 03:05 PM.

I'm 34, and feel like I've lost any sense of adventure or exploration in WoW anymore. As far as doing anything organized, this is a common theme I keep seeing more and more of. People aren't joining guilds, meeting new people, trying to make friends. WoW, for the older crowd (the people that started out in the game) want a solo game it seems. Solo WoW isn't worth a subscription, imo. I am doing solo WoW right now (well, me and my fiancé) and its pretty lackluster. WoW was at its peak when guilds mattered and people *wanted* to play with other people.
    Problems with WoW: No server communities, too much cross-realm crap, too many raiding difficulties, guilds don't matter anymore.
    Fix it: Limit server transfers, merge more servers, reduce raiding to 2 difficulties (N/H, 10/25), bring raiding back to guilds again (limit # of cross-realm players in your group). #MakeWoWGreatAgain

Im 43 i play from 2005 and i have 9 tokens in my bags. I feel the game has nothing to please me atm even if this game can offer many things to do, and im at break for now. But this game is a part of my life. I started single and now im married with 3 kids.Even if i someday stop this game, i will never deleted from my SDD. SO the decision is only up to you.

Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account

I was just wondering was WoW actually worth keeping as a form of entertainment for someone who has played it as thoroughly as i and no longer feels the "passion" to raid
    I can understand where you're coming from. I'm not personally 30, but I'm getting closer to it. I've been playing the game since I was a middle schooler who's now expecting his first daughter in a couple months so I've been playing about 12 years. For me all I would log in and do is raid, that's what kept me going, I'm in an 8/10M guild now, but I'm struggling even logging in to put attempts on Elisande. Granted I would enjoy nothing more than to get my Gul'dan kill on Mythic, I know where you're coming from in wanting to step away. Me personally, I have a large amount of my time invested into the game so it has that sinkhole effect for me, I don't want to let it go. I thought about having a more casual experience and getting back to the classes I wanted to play and work on rather than what my guild or friends need. I've also tried to orchestrate a M+ farm group of my friends to keep me interested. Honestly though I think what it's going to boil down to for me personally is September when Destiny 2 is out whether or not I put WoW up on the shelf for good and make that my new time sink when I have downtime.
    Hope this helped to some extent.

Quote Originally Posted by Reckoniize View Post
    I can understand where you're coming from. I'm not personally 30, but I'm getting closer to it. I've been playing the game since I was a middle schooler who's now expecting his first daughter in a couple months so I've been playing about 12 years. For me all I would log in and do is raid, that's what kept me going, I'm in an 8/10M guild now, but I'm struggling even logging in to put attempts on Elisande. Granted I would enjoy nothing more than to get my Gul'dan kill on Mythic, I know where you're coming from in wanting to step away. Me personally, I have a large amount of my time invested into the game so it has that sinkhole effect for me, I don't want to let it go. I thought about having a more casual experience and getting back to the classes I wanted to play and work on rather than what my guild or friends need. I've also tried to orchestrate a M+ farm group of my friends to keep me interested. Honestly though I think what it's going to boil down to for me personally is September when Destiny 2 is out whether or not I put WoW up on the shelf for good and make that my new time sink when I have downtime.
    Hope this helped to some extent.
    Sunk cost fallancy. Dont let it dictate anything.