Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Anduin Menethil View Post
    Yeah the people who care about the story care about the story. Most people don't care about the story though.
    That seems to be blizzards mentality and has been for some time. And has resulted in a great deal of hate from fans for it.

I think you really underestimate how much the story matters to players.
    World needs more Goblin Warriors https://i.imgur.com/WKs8aJA.jpg

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ComputerNerd View Post
    You as an experienced player are saying that because YOU do not like the way the story now progresses, that you can speak for new players.
    That just seems very wrong, that you can decide that.
    Talk to players, rather than using your own experiences to dictate that.

I agree it is disjointed, but to speak for others, on how they feel.
    That is where I disagree.
    Where did you reach that conclusion? I am taking about various people I have talked to, for me the story is ok because I experienced it from A-G but numerous people have told me the disjointed story put them off

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Anduin Menethil View Post
    Yeah the people who care about the story care about the story. Most people don't care about the story though.
    Source required

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Haidaes View Post
    Oh great Adamn shower us in your Wisdom™.
    But, if I may humbly point out, the majority doesn't care about story at all, no matter how good it is.
    Again source required

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Polarthief View Post
    MMORPG. Most people tend to not give a fuck.

FFXIV is the only one to my knowledge that's done it 'right', and even then half of us don't care, like I didn't. WAY too many fucking cutscenes for me. If it was a single player game, maybe, sure, but not an online MMO.
    Lol Final Fantasy 14's Story was fairly trash-tier especially for a Final Fantasy game. Swtor has literally the best Story telling in an MMO. for it's shortcomings, it's storytelling is great.

WoW's story isn't off putting. Anyone I know that is new and asks about TBC/Wrath I just tell them to imagine they are playing a Flashback.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Dracula View Post
    Lol Final Fantasy 14's Story was fairly trash-tier especially for a Final Fantasy game. Swtor has literally the best Story telling in an MMO. for it's shortcomings, it's storytelling is great.

WoW's story isn't off putting. Anyone I know that is new and asks about TBC/Wrath I just tell them to imagine they are playing a Flashback.
    You obviously never played Heavensward

Quote Originally Posted by adam86shadow View Post
    Where did you reach that conclusion? I am taking about various people I have talked to, for me the story is ok because I experienced it from A-G but numerous people have told me the disjointed story put them off

- - - Updated - - -

Source required

- - - Updated - - -

Again source required
    Well I mean you'd never find a source for or against.

But whenever blizz opens their mouth to imply players dont care about the story, they get thrashed pretty hard. Which has been true as far back as Cata. Its been one of their most consistent points of negativity through the game lifespan: blizzard fucking up the story with their blatant uncaring for it.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mojojojo101 View Post
    I think you re uderestimating the huge amount of work tht would be for a relatively tiny audience. It would mean another total and complete revamp of all Azeroth content and the only people likely to see it are brand new players and those blasting through on alts. Considering the backlash (unjustified in my opinion) against Cataclysm's lack of content I dont thin that would go down well woth players or be seen as a good use of resources by Blizzard.
    What revamp?
    Barely anything would need to be done from scratch:
    Terrain - Half done with cataclysm. They'd just need to apply the same "touches" to pre-cata azeroth.
    Content - Most of it just revived from pre-cata azeroth.

Essentially, you'd play the "old" content before level 80.
    Most of the current 1-80 azeroth content would become 80+ only.

I know this has some implications, such as (probably) gnomeregan & echo isles no longer being the starting zones of the respective races. Instead something you re-capture later on.

Bonus
    - Opens up doors for future content.
    - Makes the game a lot more immersive and intuitive
    Last edited by Nurvus; 2017-05-22 at 01:18 PM.
    Why did you create a new thread? Use the search function and post in existing threads!
    Why did you necro a thread?

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    You obviously never played Heavensward
    Any Game/Movie/TV show that requires you to go through many many hours before the story gets remotely good is still trash tier.

Deleted
    I can concur that a few friends who tried to play it found the movement from current 'vanilla' wow (the revamped zones) to Outland to Northrend and so on in terms of story didn't seem to make much sense.

Granted, as they were not doing the then current raids the 'big bad' just seemed to disappear and subsequently was NEVER referenced again. Also, it just not being 100% clear why we are fighting 'XYZ' person.

Playing from vanilla I can appreciate and understand where we are story wise, but listening to them play and the questions they asked were hilarious:

1. Where is that flaming dragon? (referring to Deathwing as they entered Hellfire Peninsula)
    2. Why is Telador and Nagrand fine? (referring to HFP and Shadowmoon)
    3. Why are we killing Illidan?
    4. The Lich King isn't exactly trying very hard is he?
    5. Where is that Tirion bloke? He still hanging out at the Fjord? Hyjal is on fire!
    6. So this island just 'appears' again and is full of Pandas? I thought 1 of them was in the other warcraft games? They just conveniently forgot where it was?
    7. How did Ahn'Qiraq keep all those things behind the wall, then a dwarf just digs his way in?

There were more, but they were hilarious. And some I couldn't even answer haha

Quote Originally Posted by Arafal View Post
    you want an RPG to have no story elements?
    what?
    its not like i care about the story... and ive been playing for 3-4 years now...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Toppy View Post
    Well I mean you'd never find a source for or against.

But whenever blizz opens their mouth to imply players dont care about the story, they get thrashed pretty hard. Which has been true as far back as Cata. Its been one of their most consistent points of negativity through the game lifespan: blizzard fucking up the story with their blatant uncaring for it.
    True but I think it's silly to make baseless comments like "the majority doesn't care"... obviously a % don't care but one of the core elements of a RPG is story so to me this off-handed attitude towards story is rather worrying

Been playing over 10 years and never really cared about the story or kept up with it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by StarGazer91 View Post
    it takes about 5 seconds to find the full story of wow on youtube thanks to nobbel, then maybe 2 hours to watch the main timeline. Maybe 3. Call it a movie.
    New players don't know this, besides it's lazy for a game to basically say "Want the story? Go Google"

7+ Year Old Account
    And honestly I can understand why! Let's look at this from a complete point of view from somebody starting now! First you have the 1-60 experience that doesn't make much sense unless you played Vanilla, TBC and Wrath. 60-70 you're thrust back in time with no indication that the events from here on are set before 1-60 experience (same with 70-80) then your back to the timeline in 1-60 (again not mentioned)

I understand it is kinda inevitable that Cataclysm fucked up the chronological order of the levelling story experience but I have had a few people just quit because the story made no sense without background checking everything
    The story from 1 to 60 is amazing. It might not be completly cohesive, but as individuelle stories, it works very good.

If Blizzard needs to fix something, they need to improve the TBC story and maybe fix up the Wrath story aswell. They are not only bad when it comes to basic storytelling, but they are also a bit fucked up when it comes to overall story.

While i understand that some may have problems with the 1-60 story and its function with timelines and everything, i still say that it is the better of the first 4 leveling storylines by far.
    May the lore be great and the stories interesting. A game without a story, is a game without a soul. Value the lore and it will reward you with fun!

Don't let yourself be satisfied with what you expect and what you seem as obvious. Ask for something good, surprising and better. Your own standards ends up being other peoples standard.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Flurryfang View Post
    The story from 1 to 60 is amazing. It might not be completly cohesive, but as individuelle stories, it works very good.

If Blizzard needs to fix something, they need to improve the TBC story and maybe fix up the Wrath story aswell. They are not only bad when it comes to basic storytelling, but they are also a bit fucked up when it comes to overall story.

While i understand that some may have problems with the 1-60 story and its function with timelines and everything, i still say that it is the better of the first 4 leveling storylines by far.
    I do enjoy 1-60 story but as you say it's the 60-80 that's a clusterfuck.

players are putting off others more than story or rng or whatever honestly... if someone who wants to try wow decides to visit forums he/she probably won't bother downloading, same with trying it on trial account

Quote Originally Posted by mrsohta View Post
    players are putting off others more than story or rng or whatever honestly... if someone who wants to try wow decides to visit forums he/she probably won't bother downloading, same with trying it on trial account
    Honestly the biggest thing is how dated WoW is in general. From the viewpoint of someone who hasnt tried it, would you rather play something that looks like this

or this?

I only chose FFXIV since, being an MMO with a monthly subscription, its likely the closest comparison.

- - - Updated - - -

Source required

- - - Updated - - -

Again source required
    Because you decided that you spoke for new players.
    You made the judgement that it was putting those players off, when speaking only of your own experience with it.

Commenting on it being a mess is fine, but speaking for others was not.
    We should ask them, before deciding that because we dont like something, that they must not.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    Your forgot to include the part where we blame casuals for everything because blizzard is catering to casuals when casuals got jack squat for new content the entire expansion, like new dungeons and scenarios.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reinaerd View Post
    T'is good to see there are still people valiantly putting the "Ass" in assumption.

Quote Originally Posted by Toppy View Post
    Honestly the biggest thing is how dated WoW is in general. From the viewpoint of someone who hasnt tried it, would you rather play something that looks like this

or this?

I only chose FFXIV since, being an MMO with a monthly subscription, its likely the closest comparison.
    yeah i agree with wow being an old game and i think people who constantly annoy other people are just old players who feel attached to the game but frustrated from playing the same thing for a long time. there is no cure for this sadly.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nurvus View Post
    What revamp?
    Barely anything would need to be done from scratch:
    Terrain - Half done with cataclysm. They'd just need to apply the same "touches" to pre-cata azeroth.
    Content - Most of it just revived from pre-cata azeroth.

Essentially, you'd play the "old" content before level 80.
    Most of the current 1-80 azeroth content would become 80+ only.

I know this has some implications, such as (probably) gnomeregan & echo isles no longer being the starting zones of the respective races. Instead something you re-capture later on.

Bonus
    - Opens up doors for future content.
    - Makes the game a lot more immersive and intuitive

The original revamp wa about more than updating the zones story wise, it was also about modernising the systems, streamlining zones and quest lines so they made more sense and making sure you wouldn't run out of quests with no clear option of where to go next.

You couldn't just turn the clock back and put the old, pre-80 zones, back the way they were, it would cause a huge amount of turmoil and would probably be even worse than just leaving them as they are now. That is before you get to adding new content in to those zones as you suggest.

Another thing is that it would basically invalidate all content in the 1-60 zones once you had moved on to Outland. The 1-60 pre-Cata zones would all dissapear long before you got to see all of the content their and when you returned, what business would you have questing in a zone like the Barrens or STV.

7+ Year Old Account
    I dunno if it puts anyone off the game. But it's never helped.

I never played the original Warcraft but Warcraft 2 and 3 were fun little fantasy adventures that were tied up in a nice bow but that was all just icing on the gameplay cake. There was nothing groundbreaking or spectacularly memorable but there were some decent characters.

WoW is the equivalent in RPG terms...minus decent characters as all the good characters were taken from the RTS and subsequently made worse. Again, it's always been about the gameplay.