Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by medievalman1 View Post
    People will commit atrocities whether there is religion or not.
    Superstition / religion brings out a whole other level of savagery in "means" and "goals".
    Nothing brings out the most inhuman acts like something "beyond/above humans".

There is selfishness everywhere.
    People kill others for money, for power...
    But only superstition/religion would make a man kill his own kin for a promise.
    Last edited by Nurvus; 2017-05-22 at 03:47 PM.
    Why did you create a new thread? Use the search function and post in existing threads!
    Why did you necro a thread?

Deleted
    (Lack of) education issue imo.

Though i imagine it's not easy for a country the size of india to implement a proper mandatory school system.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Nurvus View Post
    Superstition / religion brings out a whole other level of savagery in "means" and "goals".
    Nothing brings out the most inhuman acts like something "beyond/above humans".

There is selfishness everywhere.
    People kill others for money, for power...
    But only superstition/religion would make a man kill his own kin for a promise.
    You sure a promise of say $100million or a big inheritance wouldn't make some consider it?
    Or that certain mentally ill people wouldn't consider it for a promise?
    Last edited by mmoc982b0e8df8; 2017-05-22 at 03:54 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Him of Many Faces View Post
    You sure a promise of say $100million wouldn't make some consider it?
    Oh please, such nonsense. For starters people are not getting indoctrinated in believing in what you say.

Religion is nothing more than a tool to control unwashed masses with false promises and many of these modern shamans are very well aware of the power they hold and abuse it plenty.

The worst part of it is that it enables outright atrocities in the name of imaginary shit someone made up thousands of years ago. This nonsense should be eradicated and my hope is that it will die out naturally as technology progresses.

Religion was important back in the day, it caused people to pick up books and read those, but it has outlived its usefulness.

- - - Updated - - -

Just look at what is going on in Middle East, people killing each other in droves basically over disagreeing how they should appease their imaginary friend.

And you think others are any better? See Vatican blobs choking themselves on gold, surrounded by unimaginable riches, while much of their adherents starve and gather pennies to prop up their leaky churches.

Same with Orthodox priests, with their big cahuna rocking $30K watch while preaching modesty to the cattle.

It's all masked corruption and darkness.

And finally if we'd take your example, the dude who would kill over 100 million bucks would know he's an asshole, religious types, however, would genuinely believe themselves to be saints.
    Last edited by Gaidax; 2017-05-22 at 04:14 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    You sure a promise of say $100million or a big inheritance wouldn't make some consider it?
    You misinterpreted "promise".

Someone offering you money isn't what I meant by "promise".

Someone offering a cure you can't possibly know whether it works is what I meant by "promise".
    If it had been selling his child for lots of money to buy an expensive known cure - it'd still be disgusting, but at least it would make some sense...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Gaidax View Post
    Religion was important back in the day, it caused people to pick up books and read those, but it has outlived its usefulness.
    That's not really what it did for the most part.
    It instilled order through fear.
    The sheperds mostly witheld as much knowledge as possible to keep that fear working.
    Why did you create a new thread? Use the search function and post in existing threads!

Deleted
    You misinterpreted "promise".

Someone offering you money isn't what I meant by "promise".

Someone offering a cure you can't possibly know whether it works is what I meant by "promise".
    If it had been selling his child for lots of money to buy an expensive known cure - it'd still be disgusting, but at least it would make some sense...
    "If you kill your child you will be cured"
    "If you kill your brother you will get the entire inheritance"

i don't really see the difference. all that matters is that you believe the promise, doesn't matter the process that leads to that believe.

Quote Originally Posted by Zephyr Storm View Post
    Oh please. Like Hitler, Mussolini, or Stalin committed all of their terrible acts in the name of superstition/religion.

What an ignorant comment to make.
    notice how you didn't refute the basis of what he said, you just deflected with other barbaric nonsense? the fact that there are mass killings that are both purely religious and also the same shit done purely for power should be a pretty clear indication of why religion really exists, i apologize if that amount of common sense just hurt your feelings.

15+ Year Old Account

i don't really see the difference.
    Magical cure is an unknown result (I would say "doesn't work" but let's pretend I'm superstitious).
    Inheritance is a known result (only fails if you're found out).

There would be no difference IF the first was "you get the surgery/treatment known to cure your ailment", although paying for it by killing your child is nuts...
    If it was selling the child it would at least make some sense.

I'm being generous when I say that monster of a man basically gambled his child's life with zero expectations.
    Last edited by Nurvus; 2017-05-22 at 04:24 PM.

10+ Year Old Account

i don't really see the difference. all that matters is that you believe the promise, doesn't matter the process that leads to that believe.
    The difference here is very clear, both are assholes, but in one case it is an actual simple greed for very real material gain, the other is a blind idiotic brainwashing from childhood that your local shaman, priest or pope commutes with some imaginary friend and that makes his bullshit true and you feel content because you received "divine guidance".

Quote Originally Posted by Powerogue View Post
    I'm just having trouble deciding who's worse, the religious crackpot telling people to sacrifice their children to cure their ailments or the person who actually hears that and goes "sure, that sounds like a great idea!"
    I'm with you, I don't know what's worse either... I can't believe he thought it was worth following that advice and killing his baby. My second child is 2 years old (since April) and I can't imagine how anyone can consider killing a baby. Even in their worst, they're so cute. He could literally be mad about something and I will have to try to stop myself from laughing because of the way little ones act.
    MY X/Y POKEMON FRIEND CODE: 1418-7279-9541 In Game Name: Michael__

Quote Originally Posted by Zethras View Post
    Public flensing and evisceration, with an injection of a substance that doesn't allow for someone to lose consciousness.

Just like the Laughing Skull, fight savagery with savagery.
    The problem is that you aren't wrong. The death penalty is disgusting in concept and practice, and is a crime against humanity that rivals the horrors commited by the criminals who receive it.

We murder death penalty level offenders for the sake of revenge. There is no goal of greater protection of society. It's just Christian revenge.
    Last edited by Firefall; 2017-05-22 at 04:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Firefall View Post
    We murder death penalty level offenders for the sake of revenge. There is no goal of greater protection of society. It's just Christian revenge.
    Are you suggesting that people who do something that makes them eligible for the death penalty, and then being executed assuming they were found guilty and sentenced to death, a christian revenge story? I think even an atheist would want to make the person who raped and killed their child would want to make them suffer. But a Christian might find forgiveness somehow (I doubt I could) and rather them have life in prison.
    MY X/Y POKEMON FRIEND CODE: 1418-7279-9541 In Game Name: Michael__

Deleted
    Magical cure is an unknown result (I would say "doesn't work" but let's pretend I'm superstitious).
    Inheritance is a known result (only fails if you're found out).

There would be no difference IF the first was "you get the surgery/treatment known to cure your ailment", although the "payment" makes no sense in either case. If it was selling the child it would at least make sense.
    inheritance is also unknown result, since you can get caught or the will can be changed.

You are also to hung up on how the cure works, how it works doesn't even enter these peoples mind.

the last 10x i went to the doctor, what he told me worked out. so when he tells me i have to do something drastic for a more serious problem, i have faith that it will work, despite not having a clue myself. replace doctor with priest and you can see how this decision can make sense.

and i mean a doctor can tell you to put pieces cut out of living other people in yourself to cure your problems. so it's not like doctors cant tell you fucked up shit either.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah but, sexism in games is still the most important issue of our day. Alright?

inheritance is also unknown result, since you can get caught or the will can be changed.

You are also to hung up on how the cure works, how it works doesn't even enter these peoples mind.

the last 10x i went to the doctor, what he told me worked out. so when he tells me i have to do something drastic for a more serious problem, i have faith that it will work, despite not having a clue myself. replace doctor with priest and you can see how this decision can make sense.

and i mean a doctor can tell you to put pieces cut out of living other people in yourself to cure your problems. so it's not like doctors cant tell you fucked up shit either.
    Here's the thing: A doctor is very well educated professional of the medical field, while the priest you are trying to equate the doctor to, is nothing but snakeoil salesman. Now you might see how your equation doesn't make sense, as the two are nowhere near comparable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    True, I was just bored and tired but you are correct.

Last edited by Thwart; Today at 05:21 PM. Reason: Infracted for flaming
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    millennials were the kids of the 9/11 survivors.

10+ Year Old Account
    Did it work?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zethras View Post
    Public flensing and evisceration, with an injection of a substance that doesn't allow for someone to lose consciousness.

Just like the Laughing Skull, fight savagery with savagery.
    Public executions should have never gone away.
    It has allowed people to disconnect and not respect the consequences of their actions.

Draw and quartering is my personal favorite among medieval forms of execution. Though I think that is more colonial than medieval.

Point is people NEED to see it.

We should see with our eyes what has been done to his daughter so that we can be disgusted by it and moved to action against the perpetrator.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Linadra View Post
    Here's the thing: A doctor is very well educated professional of the medical field, while the priest you are trying to equate the doctor to, is nothing but snakeoil salesman. Now you might see how your equation doesn't make sense, as the two are nowhere near comparable.
    This basically.

All these priests, shamans and other spiritual filth are nothing more than a bunch of liars who are either brainwashed from birth into believing in imaginary beings or are simply conmen clinging to power and wealth that comes with their position.

To compare these with actual doctors is unthinkable.

15+ Year Old Account
    There are 2 parts here:
    The product.
    The payment.

The product part of Inheritance is not an unknown result. The value and the laws are set and guaranteed.
    The payment part of Inheritance is what you are describing as unknown - killing your brother without getting caught.

With the "magical cure" it's BOTH parts that are unknown.
    The product is the magical cure. You can't possibly know if it is real before you make the "payment".
    The payment is the sacrificing of the kid. You can't possibly tell if you're doing it right.

At least with the inheritance you can clearly tell when and if you did anything wrong.
    With a magical cure you have no clue, and if you're really superstitious you might end up being convinced that you failed in the execution.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Linadra View Post
    It's not a fair logical argument if you go in assuming one side is guaranteed to be fake.
    It's clear that it was a stupid decision from the point of view of anyone who isn't superstitious to the point of believing in magic.
    What I am arguing is that it HAS to be a stupid decision EVEN from the point of view of someone who is.

Assuming you believe in magic, you couldn't possibly know that was the real deal - that's why the promise of a magical cure can never compare to known scientific cure or inheritance.

Quote Originally Posted by Symphonic View Post
    Are you suggesting that people who do something that makes them eligible for the death penalty, and then being executed assuming they were found guilty and sentenced to death, a christian revenge story? I think even an atheist would want to make the person who raped and killed their child would want to make them suffer. But a Christian might find forgiveness somehow (I doubt I could) and rather them have life in prison.
    Yes, our legal system is based on the Judeo-Christian concepts of revenge. Christianity doesn't really preach forgiveness, they preach judgement. If someone raped or killed my sister I would want them removed from society by being placed in prison so they couldn't do it again, not murdered so we keep the horrors going. I have had family and friends severely wronged before and no, I don't wish mortal suffering on those people.

I'm not calling myself a saint or something. If someone like killed my GF I'd completely lose my mind with blind rage. But death? I'd probably say as much, but not outside the heat of the moment. I'd want them locked up forever.
    Last edited by Firefall; 2017-05-22 at 06:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaidax View Post
    Oh please, such nonsense. For starters people are not getting indoctrinated in believing in what you say.

And your decision to ignore what went down in the former Soviet Union and other Iron Curtain countries shows how biased you are.

The murders done in the name of atheism far eclipsed WWII casualties, and the Crusades (on every side), combined.