Page 7 of 25 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Russophobia isn't a thing. Russian people aren't the issue, its the current regime and there are very good reasons for people to dislike the current Russian regime.

• They've interfered with multiple elections world wide - US, France, Germany, Poland, Estonia, Austria, Ukraine and Bulgaria
    • They annexed Crimea
    • They've murdered dissenting journalists
    • They jail LGBT people
    • They've caused the largest income equality gap of any country in the world.
    • They're actively propping up a dictator that is committing warcrimes
    • They're on the other side of almost every other world conflict from the US

And that's just the list I could think of in about 5 minutes...

Please stop trying to brush the Russian issues under the rug.
    Last edited by kaelleria; 2017-05-22 at 03:58 PM.

Russian People and Russian Immigrants =/= The Russian Government

There, issue cleared up. Now move on to your next cast.

A lot of people mention Russia phobia. I have numerous times. However, most people like controversy, drama. And a lot of the people that dislike Trump, really dont like him. Lol. I mean its good for News outlets and actually a pretty good distraction for Trump.

Yeah people should really stop being upset with those poor gaybashing Russians.

Wolverines!!!!!!!
    You're not allowed to discuss conspiracy theories on mmo-champion, which makes me wonder what they're trying to hide.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkeon View Post
    "It's not an irrational fear, it's very rational to fear [insert thing]"
    "It's not like I hate every single [member of said country\ideology]! I just hate the [government\extremists]!"
    "[insert thing] is the biggest threat and the force of evil in the world!"

Those defenses sound awfully similar to the ones used by the people that get called Islamophobes in this same forum. Eerily interesting!
    It's as if people could distinguish between citizens of a specific people and the actions and policies of its government. Shocking, right?
    I have Russian friends, we talk about almost everything. They know I do not agree with Putin and his policies, but we don't let that get in the way of our friendship.
    That does not make me a Russophobe.

Btw... "It's not an irrational fear, it's very rational to fear [insert thing]" <--- this right here is a common defence I hear from some people (let's call them very sensitive people) when they want to find arguments against the coming of refugees. The whole idea of " they'll have 10 kids/family, we can barely have 2, we're going to be overrun by 2040!!!! Fear them!!"

is it when you join a battleground and you're scared your opponents are going to be all russians?

Quote Originally Posted by Whiskymon View Post
    NATO asked promision to bomb thousands of ppl to bits while trying to pound armies to bits. UN gave their blessing. It really is as simple as that.
    What? If you're saying things like that then there is nothing to discuss with you. Next time you will say that Poland invaded Germany in 1939 or something.

Deleted
    I am not scared of people from russia. Infact i have many friends who are from russia, and they are all nice guys and interesting individuals.

I just think that russia suffers under Putins rule, and the country deserves something better than a child killing gay hating corrupt tyrant.

10+ Year Old Account
    While it's often indeed exaggerated, it's not actually absent.
    Let's see...
    * Unfair treatment. Our sportsmen were denied participation in events en masse without any proof. Sure, you can claim that investigation was on the way, but what about presumption of innocence? It's not like you can't strip them of rewards after competition. Russia was denied to be an equal member of PACE. I thought europeans valued democracy...
    * Negative portrayal in all kinds of media, up to the most idiotic stereotypes. Positive portrayal is almost non-existent.
    * Prejudice that all russian products are bad, all russian players are cheaters, etc.
    * Double standards. There was a massive outrage over Aleppo, but when NATO does something like that or even worse it's perfectly ok. Or just imagine all the outcry, if something like this would have happened in Russia:

Basically, they're chanting "Kill russians!".

Quote Originally Posted by Kuax View Post
    While it's often indeed exaggerated, it's not actually absent.
    Let's see...
    * Unfair treatment. Our sportsmen were denied participation in events en masse without any proof. Sure, you can claim that investigation was on the way, but what about presumption of innocence? It's not like you can't strip them of rewards after competition. Russia was denied to be an equal member of PACE. I thought europeans valued democracy...
    * Negative portrayal in all kinds of media, up to the most idiotic stereotypes. Positive portrayal is almost non-existent.
    * Prejudice that all russian products are bad, all russian players are cheaters, etc.
    * Double standards. There was a massive outrage over Aleppo, but when NATO does something like that or even worse it's perfectly ok. Or just imagine all the outcry, if something like this would have happened in Russia:

Basically, they're chanting "Kill russians!".
    Russians were barred participation due to a massive doping scandal
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doping_in_Russia

Quote Originally Posted by oxymoronic View Post
    because even russian americans know how fucked up russia is. duh

source: mr krasner, my friend, the russian.
    ..... Islamic countries have done just as bad if not worse things than Russia in the name of religion. That's the point he's making. You speak badly of Islam and you're Islamaphobic. You speak badly of Russia you're hailed as an anti fascist

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by purebalance View Post
    ..... Islamic countries have done just as bad if not worse things than Russia in the name of religion. That's the point he's making. You speak badly of Islam and you're Islamaphobic. You speak badly of Russia you're hailed as an anti fascist
    This is a false equivalence.

"Islam" is a widely varied faith held by well over a billion people in the world, and which has existed for centuries. Any complaint about "Islam" that doesn't hold true for all those people, both today and throughout history, isn't actually about Islam.

Meanwhile, the issues people have today with Russia isn't in its inherent Russia-ness. It's to do with the specific leadership it currently has, and that leadership's policies and behaviour.

If you want to talk about how much you dislike, say, the Saudi regime's policies, that's fine, but that's about the Saudi regime, not "Islam". And that kind of critique would be similar to this supposed "russophobia", which is more anti-Putin than anti-Russia.

It's not ''hate'' to be highly skeptical of Putin's governments and to not approve of Russia's rather hands-on foreign policy as of late.

I mean, sure there are people that hate Russians as a group, but there are people that hate every group out there. Russians are hardly special in this matter.

They certainly get nowhere near the amount of hate that Muslims or latinos go through from what I saw.
    Last edited by Jastall; 2017-05-22 at 07:16 PM.

Because "Russophobia" would generally amount to having anything negative to say about anything related to Russia, similar to how "Islamophobia" is used to provide cover for Islamists, I don't doubt Russophobia is being pushed by Putin-bots.

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    This is a false equivalence.

"Islam" is a widely varied faith held by well over a billion people in the world, and which has existed for centuries. Any complaint about "Islam" that doesn't hold true for all those people, both today and throughout history, isn't actually about Islam.

Meanwhile, the issues people have today with Russia isn't in its inherent Russia-ness. It's to do with the specific leadership it currently has, and that leadership's policies and behaviour.

If you want to talk about how much you dislike, say, the Saudi regime's policies, that's fine, but that's about the Saudi regime, not "Islam". And that kind of critique would be similar to this supposed "russophobia", which is more anti-Putin than anti-Russia.
    To be honest lot of problems with Islam in general are caused by the Saudis funding of Salafist mosques around Europe. They happen to spread somewhat extreme form of the idelogy. Even the so called moderate mosques might have a public fascade, but inside they do support some pretty regressive ideas which try to defy country's law. I base this on documentary that secretly observes several big mosques in Denmark. I think Islam could do much better if they dumped the extremism that Saudis like to spread. It's not helped at all that western countries wag tail at these goverments to get extra oil and possible trade partners so they can use it to slaughter Yemeni people or give them to "Al'Qae.. Oh I mean moderate rebels". I think lot of this gets brushed over as "islamophobic nonsense" equivalent of some nationalist just hating foreigners.

Russophobia as concept suffers from similar thing to concept islamophobia and if you don't want to be hypocrite, don't use it then. I think there's certain validity that Russia gets some unfair flack in media, but there are lot of valid things to say. I can quite easily hold position to say that Western countries have done far worse deeds lately in destabilizing different countries and killing millions of innocent civilans in past decade for their own causes. This might be worse in comparasion what Russia has done lately, but it doesn't excuse their behaviour either. From what I can see they hate EU and try in many ways promote nationalism here with their indirect or direct support of movements like Brexit and Le pen. I won't stand for this and criticizing them rightly for this doesn't make me any more russophobe than my criticism of regressive beliefs spread around mosques in Europe makes me islamophobe.

Quote Originally Posted by callipygoustp View Post
    Russia is a race?

On a more serious note:
    My favorite type of outrage is manufactured outrage.

On an even more serious note:
    This current wave of Russophobia needs to stop! You know who was a Russophobe? Hitler was, yeah that's right, fucking Hitler. Don't be like Hitler. Stop being a Russophobe!!!
    Japanophobia was a huge thing back in WWII.

"but Japanese isn't a race guise!"

7+ Year Old Account
    It isn't a "phobia" to be displeased with the actions of a tyrant regime; just as it isn't a "phobia" to be likewise displeased with the tenets of a certain philosophy (that shall remain unnamed by me) that is incompatible with the ideas of the Enlightenment and its offspring, Western Liberal Democracy.
    " The guilt of an unnecessary war is terrible." --- President John Adams
    " America goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy." --- President John Quincy Adams
    " Our Federal Union! It must be preserved!" --- President Andrew Jackson

Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    For the last year everything Russian has been considered evil and awful. We have Russian-American Citizens in this country also, so is russophobia hate speech?.
    It is russiaphobia if hate etc goes against all russians. But ( unless i see it wrong/have other people then you around me). The hate is more against Russia as a country/government. As both european and american i feel like they are trying to provoke way to much. ( will not into it because it will be a shout match). But the russian government has been very busy trying to rattle our cages.
    So i would not call it a phobia.

But again i do not know here you live in america...so your local area might think different then a other local area.

But i would ask you a question: ( some of these things are up for debate, or are false or true depending on who you talk to)
    If a country does:
    - fly planes in airspace of other country's ( that you need to pass true 2 other country's to get to) to provoke a country.
    - gives ( or not) weapon systems that take down a airline
    - helps ( or not) with annexing parts of other country's
    - Helps regimes that are ( allegedly ) accused of war crimes.
    - try's to hack ( allegedly ) elections
    - kills/incarcerate political opposition.
    - is friends with a country that has committed war crimes AND currently is doing things to gay people like nazi's.
    - pretty much runs a country with a iron fist. If you are against him you are not save.
    - commits election fraud ( allegedly )
    - try's to influence ( in a bad way) other country's politicians ( allegedly )

So...i do not think its a phobia. Because the hate goes more towards who does it, and what they do then all the people.

* before people start debates on what i wrote ( because that is hip, twisting words and stating things i ( or other people) said as facts).
    Some of the "if a country does things" that i wrote are depending on who you ask false or true. But i do not say they are facts. Just state ting what the media says about russia.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by kaelleria View Post
    Russophobia isn't a thing. Russian people aren't the issue, its the current regime and there are very good reasons for people to dislike the current Russian regime.

• They've interfered with multiple elections world wide - US, France, Germany, Poland, Estonia, Austria, Ukraine and Bulgaria
    • They annexed Crimea
    • They've murdered dissenting journalists
    • They jail LGBT people
    • They've caused the largest income equality gap of any country in the world.
    • They're actively propping up a dictator that is committing warcrimes
    • They're on the other side of almost every other world conflict from the US

And that's just the list I could think of in about 5 minutes...

Please stop trying to brush the Russian issues under the rug.
    The other major powers have done as bad or worse, what's your point?