Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quitters never win. These colors (blue or red) don't run!
    Me thinks Chromie has a whole lot of splaining to do!

10+ Year Old Account
    Can't really help you there, it's your choice and your money. It's cheaper than the hobbies, unless you wanna go to another game..
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Quote Originally Posted by Aliven View Post
    Sunk cost fallancy. Dont let it dictate anything.
    It's not as simple as that, though.

The existence of sunk costs can strongly influence expected utility from the alternatives. Starting over in a new game can be a daunting prospect with no assurance of a better experience, and previously cultivated social connections will usually deteriorate.

Quote Originally Posted by Aleksej89 View Post
    I have been playing WoW since early vanilla with only a few months of break per year.
    While i am not a fan of some changes that have happened to WoW since its release i am overall still a fan of the game.

In every expansion i did all the usual stuff like cleared all raids and dungeons, fought a lot in battlegrounds and arenas, grinded best-in-slot gear, completed all quests, leveled all classes to max and played every spec, explored all zones, dabbled in pet battles, all professions on maximum with all the relevant recipes, auction house stuff, world PVP, a bit of roleplaying, got all the achievements i cared about, seasonal events, timewalking...

As i am slowly nearing 30 years of age i find myself really disliking any form of "schedule" or "obligation" within a game (plenty of that IRL).
    The biggest form of that in WoW are the Guilds with all the various organized activities and raid schedules that i just don't want to participate in on a regular basis.
    Sometimes i don't mind and i would gladly team up with guild-mates, but more often than not farming AP or doing the same raid for the Nth time isn't high on my list of fun things to do in my free time - especially since i do not need any better gear since i am not actively raiding.

And to be frank i kinda did the current Raids on the difficulty i cared to do them on so i am not really keen on raiding all that much.
    The Mythic+ Dungeons with some friends or randoms are kinda fun but on their own they can't really justify a monthly subscription, unless Blizz adds many more dungeons and "modifiers" to increase variety.
    Same with PvP - it is a nice occasional activity for me but just does not warrant a monthly subscription.

So i am making this thread wishing that someone who is or has been in this kind of a situation can suggest what is there left to do in WoW for someone like me.
    People who are around 20y of age experience WoW (and everything else) a lot differently than the 30y old geezers, so i am hoping someone similar to me has found something really fun to do in WoW that i have missed (and is worth a monthly subscription).
    I just ended up telling my guild that I won't be continuing going into Tomb. The main reason behind is IRL related (I'll be working fulltime). I don't want my evenings consisting of scheduled WoW time or time spent prepping for raids. As a result I told them I'm stepping back. Was somewhat of a difficult decision, but in the end now I have the freedom to do whatever I want with my time. Yes, I won't see Mythic raiding anymore, but being honest, that doesn't matter much to me anymore. I've got about 6 or 7 months of free sub left and then we'll see what happens.

On that note though, I currently log into the game on Tuesdays to full clear Mythic NH. After that, I log off and don't get back on until the following Tuesday.

Wish you luck if you desire to keep playing. I think you might be hard pressed to find something unless your hooked on achievements.

Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Sunk cost fallancy. Dont let it dictate anything.
    This, thank you. Couldn't think of the phrase.

Quote Originally Posted by Feardotdead View Post
    FFXIV is not a bad game.

Hell I've seen people return to Runescape of all things.
    When you've doing the same repetitive tasks in WoW for several years, you'd be surprised how interesting and immersive another game (like RS) can be. Even if you've played it before, years away from games like that recreate the game for some people.

I'm baffled the stay subbed threads or I quit threads are allowed, but asking for help on picking a class isn't. At least picking a class you are getting legit input on the game as opposed to 4 pages of either "if you don't like it quit" or "let me explain why I like the game still" or "the game is shit now so, yes, unsub."

Is the amount per month worth the time you are going to play? For me I drink 15$ worth of beer in a night without a problem. That is maybe 5 hours entertainment, roughly 3 beers, I think I can sack one night of that for a game I can play for 30 days. Then again that is just me and how I justify my spending to myself. If your 15 bucks is best spent elsewhere then spend it elsewhere.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoldor View Post
    I'm baffled the stay subbed threads or I quit threads are allowed,
    They're not allowed. Not sure why this one is still open. Perhaps no one has reported it yet.

wait never mind lol
    Last edited by Hotmail; 2017-05-22 at 06:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vaerys View Post
    It's not as simple as that, though.

The existence of sunk costs can strongly influence expected utility from the alternatives. Starting over in a new game can be a daunting prospect with no assurance of a better experience, and previously cultivated social connections will usually deteriorate.
    Yes, it really is.
    What is not easy is moving on.

You are afraid you lose social connections because you dont play game?

davidbane123
    Quote Originally Posted by Rush2803 View Post
    I'm kinda in the same situation.. nearing 31 myself and playing since classic aswel I'm just doing things that are fun not really anything mandatory anymore. My guild needs an extra dps every so often which is fun to do - the occasional BG aswel. I can spare the money and I really love Warcraft, it's not that I feel I HAVE to play, I still enjoy it so theres enough reason for me personally to just keep playing. If you don't feel that I'd suggest cancelling yeah.

Time spend having fun isn't really wasting it considering everything in life is useless anyway so that's just such a stupid argument.
    Life is a test that god has given us... how dare you call it useless? Suicidal people talk like that man, someone should seriously help you...

Quote Originally Posted by Zoldor View Post
    I'm baffled the stay subbed threads or I quit threads are allowed, but asking for help on picking a class isn't. At least picking a class you are getting legit input on the game as opposed to 4 pages of either "if you don't like it quit" or "let me explain why I like the game still" or "the game is shit now so, yes, unsub."

Is the amount per month worth the time you are going to play? For me I drink 15$ worth of beer in a night without a problem. That is maybe 5 hours entertainment, roughly 3 beers, I think I can sack one night of that for a game I can play for 30 days. Then again that is just me and how I justify my spending to myself. If your 15 bucks is best spent elsewhere then spend it elsewhere.
    I like topics like "help me decide" because people mostly look for input. Sure, you may not like what others like, but some aspects are universal, like feral is a complex spec no matter who play it. If you dont like complexity then stay away. Those kind of stuff.

Still dont get why "help me pick" are not allowed...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tutorialblox View Post
    Life is a test that god has given us... how dare you call it useless? Suicidal people talk like that man, someone should seriously help you...
    Not suicidal by any means, just realistic. I'm thinking more along the lines of; life is what you make of it, but there's no real purpose

Well i made this thread to hear what other "elderly" gamers think about their current activities in WoW and how they handle it.
    There have been some off-topic replies but overall i am very glad i asked those questions and got to read these answers.

I will be taking a break from WoW till something interesting comes to it... perhaps the Argus patch will be fun.

I thank all of you who posted their honest thoughts and opinions about the subject GL HF

Yes, it really is.
    What is not easy is moving on.

You are afraid you lose social connections because you dont play game?
    Yes, I am sure I would lose some connections with the people I currently play with, if I were to quit, and that needs to be factored into the decision whether to quit.

The idea of the fallacy of sunk costs is based purely on measurable economic utility.

You're never going to get your subscription costs back, so feeling attached to WoW because you've spent $500 to play it over the last few years is a good example of the sunk cost fallacy.

However, this fallacy does not consider achievement, personal relationships, and other things that may bring value to the "keep playing WoW" option.

If you're having trouble deciding, take a break. Walk away for a bit, get away from the game. Try something new. Come back when there's some fresh content to keep you busy. Right now is the perfect time to take a break. My account expires in 2 days, I'm doing the same.
    http://thingsihaveneverdone.wordpress.com
    Just started my 24/7 LoFi stream. Come listen!
    https://youtu.be/3uv1pLbpQM8

I have been playing WoW since early vanilla with only a few months of break per year.
    While i am not a fan of some changes that have happened to WoW since its release i am overall still a fan of the game.

In every expansion i did all the usual stuff like cleared all raids and dungeons, fought a lot in battlegrounds and arenas, grinded best-in-slot gear, completed all quests, leveled all classes to max and played every spec, explored all zones, dabbled in pet battles, all professions on maximum with all the relevant recipes, auction house stuff, world PVP, a bit of roleplaying, got all the achievements i cared about, seasonal events, timewalking...

As i am slowly nearing 30 years of age i find myself really disliking any form of "schedule" or "obligation" within a game (plenty of that IRL).
    The biggest form of that in WoW are the Guilds with all the various organized activities and raid schedules that i just don't want to participate in on a regular basis.
    Sometimes i don't mind and i would gladly team up with guild-mates, but more often than not farming AP or doing the same raid for the Nth time isn't high on my list of fun things to do in my free time - especially since i do not need any better gear since i am not actively raiding.

And to be frank i kinda did the current Raids on the difficulty i cared to do them on so i am not really keen on raiding all that much.
    The Mythic+ Dungeons with some friends or randoms are kinda fun but on their own they can't really justify a monthly subscription, unless Blizz adds many more dungeons and "modifiers" to increase variety.
    Same with PvP - it is a nice occasional activity for me but just does not warrant a monthly subscription.

So i am making this thread wishing that someone who is or has been in this kind of a situation can suggest what is there left to do in WoW for someone like me.
    People who are around 20y of age experience WoW (and everything else) a lot differently than the 30y old geezers, so i am hoping someone similar to me has found something really fun to do in WoW that i have missed (and is worth a monthly subscription).
    Basically it boils down to this: Do you want to bend your life around a videogame? Do you want to rent access to your online friends for $15/mo?

The thing you need to ask yourself is why you're playing WoW in the first place. Do you want to continue to try and push raid progression? Or do you just want to sit down every once in awhile and have some fun? I'll say this for Legion, because of all the catchup mechanics, it's VERY easy to play casually. If you throw out the idea that you HAVE to stay on the cutting edge of progression, you can actually get a lot of fun out of the casual side of the game.

But then again, it sounds like you've done everything you want to do already. You should probably consider moving to a different type of videogame. 2017 has been a GREAT year for game releases so far. There's lots of single-player games that don't require any kind of scheduled gameplay. WoW isn't everything.

Quote Originally Posted by Vaerys View Post
    Yes, I am sure I would lose some connections with the people I currently play with, if I were to quit, and that needs to be factored into the decision whether to quit.

The idea of the fallacy of sunk costs is based purely on measurable economic utility.

You're never going to get your subscription costs back, so feeling attached to WoW because you've spent $500 to play it over the last few years is a good example of the sunk cost fallacy.

However, this fallacy does not consider achievement, personal relationships, and other things that may bring value to the "keep playing WoW" option.
    Will citate poster with Picard avatar: "Thats just addiction talking". Junkies too have their hommies to take ancient mana with them :P They too dont want to quit because "social interactions" :P BTW if those people would stop socializing with you because you quitted wow then they are not interested that much really. They need guy to play the game, not the guy to hang out.

Sunk cost fallacy can also be about overall investment. I know it stand for pure money etc, but still.

The last line is pure addiction and nothing else.

If it wasn't subscription based then i would not have this dilemma but since 13e/month is not small where i live i have to decide.
    You obviously have Internet access because you're posting, so you do have an opportunity to make money. If you're almost 30 years old and 13 euros is still significant, I would highly suggest quitting all gaming and other time consuming frivolous activities and figure out how to make money instead. I have found a lot of enjoyment in the game from 2004 to present but I would not be playing as an adult if the subscription cost was any kind of relevant to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Jebachina View Post
    You really think this is up for debate? Playing games is a waste of time no matter the entertainment factor. You should have fun and entertain yourself to a degree which includes playing games occasionally. Life is not only about entertainment, it's about making a better version of yourself but you have to have a right mindset for it.

Since you dismissed my comment with one the biggest oxymoron this boards have seen plenty of time, one can assume that you have a basement dwelling mindset of a loser who will never achieve anything but hide in a virtual reality doing achievements to compensate for his insecurities and lack of ambition.
    Wow, someone got too addicted and is now projecting his own fear upon others .

Some of us, not you obviously, are able to balance a healthy, fullfiling, educated lifestyle and play games as much as we like.

The fact that you failed doing so does not mean others did too.