Page 56 of 71 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Huehuecoyotl View Post
    If you are one of the lucky people earning £80k a year or more, and you don't give a crap how much damage the Tories do to the society you have to live in, then sure, vote for them. But be prepared for people like me to say "told you so" when they screw you over massively in the next few years.
    Works both ways though, people will say told you so in 2-3 years if Labour run out of money or raise taxes for the general populous because taxing of the 5% isn't enough to sustain the country.

Pointless to be a dick about it in general just because they decided to vote differently to you.
    Last edited by Fleuria; 2017-05-22 at 06:40 PM.

Just seen that Corbyn is even going to cancel all of the fees for current students too. Can he cancel by credit card bills too please? Then he'll definitely get my vote

To be honest, I'm not big on Uni fees anyway, but our ENTIRE educational system needs to be reworked from the ground up first or it's going to become even more of an embarrassing shit show than it already is. Degrees are worth close enough to nothing as it is.

- - - Updated - - -

If you are one of the lucky people earning £80k a year or more, and you don't give a crap how much damage the Tories do to the society you have to live in, then sure, vote for them..
    Yeeeaaaahh.... the problem is that the majority of the people on 80k a year or more are in London and a huge percentage of them are internationally mobile, or they can easily route their money through other means.

This idea that if you just keep raising taxes on the rich, you get a linear return on the revenue you're getting is one of the biggest issues with Corbyns "costings". People do and will just fuck off or find ways to not pay, and sooner or later everyone elses taxes will have to rise to accomodate.
    BASIC CAMPFIRE for WARCHIEF UK Prime Minister!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by rogueMatthias View Post
    Just seen that Corbyn is even going to cancel all of the fees for current students too. Can he cancel by credit card bills too please? Then he'll definitely get my vote

To be honest, I'm not big on Uni fees anyway, but our ENTIRE educational system needs to be reworked from the ground up first or it's going to become even more of an embarrassing shit show than it already is. Degrees are worth close enough to nothing as it is.
    I dont really think uni fees are that much of an issue really, i'd like more money givent o students for living costs and maybe some more controls on how much landlords can charge students, because in some areas right now its just stupid how much housing costs compared to how much finance is given. Id much rather see someone try and tackle that issue instead of the fees. For fees, i like the idea thats been mentioned before that certain subjects that are in need should be given subsidies/free tuition to try and boost the numbers going into it, because this country really does not have an issue with the number of people going to uni, its not something we need more people doing, we do need people in certain subjects though, and that should be addressed.
    I just see no reason why all tuition fees, for all subjects need to be free.

Quote Originally Posted by tollshot View Post
    Free tuition removes the financial hurdle for those who are capable but can't afford the fees.
    But the argument is that University is so bad now that it SHOULDN'T be a natural right that the country pays for. As someone who's taught at University and Colleges, I've seen how clear it is that theres a HUGE percentage of courses that are just bullshit now. They barely really teach anything, they won't help you get a job.

If it's a proper course in proper fields like STEM sciences etc, then I'm all them being free. University ISN'T education anymore. It's an excuse to get pissed and have fun for a few years.

Quote Originally Posted by Fleuria View Post
    Works both ways though, people will say told you so in 2-3 years if Labour run out of money or raise taxes for the general populous because taxing of the 5% isn't enough to sustain the country.

Pointless to be a dick about it in general just because they decided to vote differently to you.
    Most people aren't afraid to pay a tax rise to get the services that the taxation would bring in. Hell many would say bring it on if it kept things working or improved them

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by rogueMatthias View Post
    But the argument is that University is so bad now that it SHOULDN'T be a natural right that the country pays for. As someone who's taught at University and Colleges, I've seen how clear it is that theres a HUGE percentage of courses that are just bullshit now. They barely really teach anything, they won't help you get a job.

If it's a proper course in proper fields like STEM sciences etc, then I'm all them being free. University ISN'T education anymore. It's an excuse to get pissed and have fun for a few years.
    Only in a delusional world would someone think University isn't education. That or they're scared facts are biased against their agenda.

10+ Year Old Account
    Here lies David St. Hubbins, and why not?
    Well, Andrew... So, Andrew... Now, Andrew...

Primary school teacher, incapable of giving a straight answer.

And what was that necklace she was wearing? It looked like she'd absconded from Pentonville and hadn't yet visited a blacksmith.
    You can't really dust for vomit.

Quote Originally Posted by Kallisto View Post
    Only in a delusional world would someone think University isn't education. That or they're scared facts are biased against their agenda.
    You're making the assumption that they got taught facts at uni... or ANYTHING worthwhile really. 4/5 courses at uk Universities are, at best, completely pointless.

I think you're seriously overestimating the higher education system in this country. Most degrees are worth practically nothing now. As an employer I'll look at portfolios and their work directly, having a degree is irrelevant.
    Last edited by rogueMatthias; 2017-05-22 at 08:31 PM.

I forgot to watch, in a scale of 1-100 1) Being sober than a straight edge in a dry county and 100 = Barney from Simpson level alcoholic drunk. How drunk should I be from her interview if we did the shots game from previous page?

I forgot to watch, in a scale of 1-100 1) Being sober than a straight edge in a dry county and 100 = Barney from Simpson level alcoholic drunk. How drunk should I be from her interview if we did the shots game from previous page?
    Nth stage liver disease.

Giving her absolute horrific meltdown it makes you wonder if she ever wanted to lead the country for another 5 years.. but it's likely she will still win anyway.
    Last edited by Fleuria; 2017-05-22 at 08:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tollshot View Post
    Free tuition removes the financial hurdle for those who are capable but can't afford the fees.
    Didn't Britain had an experiment on this and did not have much of an effect in reducing inequality? IIRC Scotland's program left the poor worse than previously.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Hombregato View Post
    Didn't Britain had an experiment on this and did not have much of an effect in reducing inequality? IIRC Scotland's program left the poor worse than previously.
    Most students just borrow to pay the Fees, it really has nothing to do with inequality, it's just one of the way's the UK transfers money from the young to the old.

10+ Year Old Account
    So the Tories have undercosted free breakfasts by a hundred million at best and nearly 700 million at worse.

They're offering free breakfast because it's cheap them forgetting that kids aren't at school for breakfast so giving free breakfast clubs. These currently cost £2.50 at my school and only 25% of kids take it up. But who isn't going to send their kids in 40 minutes early for free food???

Another tory failure. This could be a Diane Abbott level of financial ineptitude, except this one was actually thought through.

Quote Originally Posted by draykorinee View Post
    So the Tories have undercosted free breakfasts by a hundred million at best and nearly 700 million at worse.

They're offering free breakfast because it's cheap them forgetting that kids aren't at school for breakfast so giving free breakfast clubs. These currently cost £2.50 at my school and only 25% of kids take it up. But who isn't going to send their kids in 40 minutes early for free food???

Another tory failure. This could be a Diane Abbott level of financial ineptitude, except this one was actually thought through.
    But the Tories are the party of financial competence. We have numerous posters on this forum that keep telling us that, so it must be true.

They based their numbers on a small trial that was carried out where all the work was done by volunteers. Which pretty much sums up the way the Tories think; if it involves poor people, just do it as cheap as possible and rely on people working for charity. The only time they splash the cash is when something has been privatised and the money spent goes into the pockets of their donors.

Put this bunch of idiots in charge of the Brexit negotiations and the vastly experienced EU team will eat them for lunch. And take great pleasure doing so, given that the Tories have done nothing but antagonise the EU since the vote happened. At least Corbyn will be able to enter negotiations on a friendly basis of two sides looking for a mutually beneficial solution, rather than the Tory "screw the EU, they will do what we tell them" approach.
    When challenging a Kzin, a simple scream of rage is sufficient. You scream and you leap.
    Quote Originally Posted by George Carlin
    Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Douglas Adams
    It is a well-known fact that those people who must want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it... anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job.

Deleted
    These don't seem to have aged well :

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...y-tells-police
    https://www.theguardian.com/politics...ty-cooperation

How anyone can vote for this cunt is beyond me. And remember who was Home Sec for 7 odd years...shes a disaster, who creates disaster and walks away unscathed.
    Last edited by mmoc6b1f2f8dff; 2017-05-25 at 12:09 PM.

Deleted
    But the Tories are the party of financial competence. We have numerous posters on this forum that keep telling us that, so it must be true.
    Personally i hate this one, no party (at least no serious party) is any better or worse with money, they are all equally bad.
    Which is why i want a smaller state, but that's besides the point, The Tories had their, Manifesto promise to not raise taxes, which is just as populist as labors 'Give everything to everyone'.

Put this bunch of idiots in charge of the Brexit negotiations and the vastly experienced EU team will eat them for lunch. And take great pleasure doing so, given that the Tories have done nothing but antagonise the EU since the vote happened. At least Corbyn will be able to enter negotiations on a friendly basis of two sides looking for a mutually beneficial solution, rather than the Tory "screw the EU, they will do what we tell them" approach.
    But if Corbyn were to lead the negotiations, the Tories could harp on about how he sold out the country in the negotiations, and That's why the UK got a shitty deal.

Quote Originally Posted by GoblinP View Post
    But if Corbyn were to lead the negotiations, the Tories could harp on about how he sold out the country in the negotiations, and That's why the UK got a shitty deal.
    I agree. Part of me wants the Tories to win with a tiny, tiny majority. So they have to own Brexit, with all the repercussions of it. They would be out of power for decades after that. But at the same time I know another 5 years of Tory rule would damage everything further. But a Labour win would leave the MSM able to blame all the woes of Brexit on Labour, even though it would only be happening because Tory infighting made the vote happen.

Rock and a hard place, no question.
    When challenging a Kzin, a simple scream of rage is sufficient. You scream and you leap.
    Quote Originally Posted by George Carlin
    Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Douglas Adams
    It is a well-known fact that those people who must want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it... anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ctd123 View Post
    These don't seem to have aged well :

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...y-tells-police
    https://www.theguardian.com/politics...ty-cooperation

How anyone can vote for this cunt is beyond me. And remember who was Home Sec for 7 odd years...shes a disaster, who creates disaster and walks away unscathed.
    Yeah, has to put 5000 soldiers on the streets because she cut 20'000 odd police jobs.

Don't you get it. The free breakfast is so families can have both parents in work from 5am all the way until 7pm 6 times a week on minimum wage where if they sneeze out of place they'll be fired. Like good little mindless worker ants the Tories wants the average worker to be.

Deleted
    Yeah, has to put 5000 soldiers on the streets because she cut 20'000 odd police jobs.
    Those seem completely unrelated...

- - - Updated - - -

Don't you get it. The free breakfast is so families can have both parents in work from 5am all the way until 7pm 6 times a week on minimum wage where if they sneeze out of place they'll be fired. Like good little mindless worker ants the Tories wants the average worker to be.
    Also as a conservative, I have to say how the lunch thing really irks me.
    Feed the fucking kids. - Find me a voter who would honestly say that they care more about the pound in their pocket than if some kids go hungry...
    I get that the dementia tax pisses people off, but how the hell cant this be a bigger issue?
    The dementia tax might make fiscal sense (it probably does) - But the Kids lunches? - That's just petty and mean.
    Last edited by mmocfd561176b9; 2017-05-25 at 07:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GoblinP View Post
    Also as a conservative, I have to say how the lunch thing really irks me.
    Feed the fucking kids. - Find me a voter who would honestly say that they care more about the pound in their pocket than if some kids go hungry...
    I get that the dementia tax pisses people off, but how the hell cant this be a bigger issue?
    The dementia tax might make fiscal sense (it probably does) - But the Kids lunches? - That's just petty and mean.
    Probably because people are used to the tories fucking over young people (the Milk Snatcher is probably looking up with pride) but them fucking over old people is new.