Page 13 of 45 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Life-Binder View Post
    i do think vega will be fury x 2.0
    Mm, seems more and more that Vega may be too late, but to compare it to Fury X, is a bit too harsh still, because if it for whatever reason beats the 1080ti, it at least is the fastest card, till Volta comes.

And talking consumer Volta, I think it's still quite a bit from full production, more likely we will see "Titan Xv in very late 2017 and the rest in 2018 as it is still rumored to have GDDR6 on. So in a way there is a time for Vega to sell if it pulls some miracle, though longer they are delay, closer Volta and Vega refresh get.

Then again everything depends on the pricing, Volta won't likely be any cheaper than Pascal, considering it's development cost.. But what will Vega be priced at is the real question. Most fear it's over $500, which I think may be too expensive, considering we may be getting nothing more than something a bit slower than 1080ti.

10+ Year Old Account
    i do think vega will be fury x 2.0
    That's what I'm hoping for. As much as people see the Fury as a failure, I think it was a raging success. The fact that in Doom Vulkan it can nearly perform equal to a 1070, shows the lost potential AMD had with that card. But like all things AMD, people benchmark the card with old games and AMD sucks at DX11 optimization, so the card was considered a failure, and rightfully so. But it did succeed in showing what HBM and immense raw compute power can do when applications can take advantage of them. These things didn't translate too well in games, at least games at the time of the release of the Fury cards. And for the most part, even games today don't always come with DX12, let alone Vulkan support. Then you have games that just fart the support on with a patch later released.

Whatever Vega is going to be, it'll be no different than Polaris when compared to Nvidia products. Extremely strong in DX12/Vulkan, but very weak in DX11 games. Which like 99% of games released today support DX11. So yea.

if you only play Doom then yes Fury X was a "raging success"

although I wonder if Fury X can still keep its big lead over 980Ti (which was its competitor) in Doom in an OC vs OC situation (or against a high factory clocked one, like the 980Ti Lightning)

980Ti is bad at DX12/Doom, no question, but it is an extremely good overclocker, even the worst cards can get to ~1400-1450 Mhz, a lot get to 1500+, golden ones get to 1600

in gaming scenarios that arent Doom or ~DX12 Hitman, an overclocked 980Ti flat out destroys OCed Fury X

because if it for whatever reason beats the 1080ti
    if it cleanly (not just in Doom) beats 1080Ti (aftermarket Tis, not just stock), then yeah, it will be a sucess for sure, cant really argue against it then even if the price is ~$700+ .. I see salty 1080Ti buyers if it did that

I just dont see it happening, I will be extremely surprised if it does so with 4096 SPs

Quote Originally Posted by Dukenukemx View Post
    That's what I'm hoping for. As much as people see the Fury as a failure, I think it was a raging success.
    Fury X wasn't a commercial success though, because Nvidia slammed down a faster card at the time for almost the same price. Plus you could OC said card to be way faster.

Also, AMD doesn't suck on DX11, Nvidia is pretty freaking good in it, due to some trickery and driver overhead control. Though that is coming to bite em a bit of late with us getting capped on 4 core performance soon.

I do think Vega will be a better card then Fury X out of the box in relative perf and maybe pricing metrics

however, Fury X also came out at about the same time as 980Ti and competed within the same gen

it did not have the successors shadow (in this case Volta) already looming over it before its even formally showcased as Vega will

and it did not have the high-end market dominated and saturated by 1080/1070 by a whole year beforehand - 390X was in fact able to compete with 980 quite decently .. at least in non-overclocked scenarios, 980 has way more OC headroom than 390X .. but here 1080 has run uncontested for a year

so Vega has way more pressure on it

- - - Updated - - -

http://imgur.com/a/KysdK

hmm
    Last edited by Life-Binder; 2017-05-22 at 03:44 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well according to Lisa Su consumer Vega will now launch in August at the earliest.

10+ Year Old Account
    if you only play Doom then yes Fury X was a "raging success"

although I wonder if Fury X can still keep its big lead over 980Ti (which was its competitor) in Doom in an OC vs OC situation (or against a high factory clocked one, like the 980Ti Lightning)

980Ti is bad at DX12/Doom, no question, but it is an extremely good overclocker, even the worst cards can get to ~1400-1450 Mhz, a lot get to 1500+, golden ones get to 1600

in gaming scenarios that arent Doom or ~DX12 Hitman, an overclocked 980Ti flat out destroys OCed Fury X

if it cleanly (not just in Doom) beats 1080Ti (aftermarket Tis, not just stock), then yeah, it will be a sucess for sure, cant really argue against it then even if the price is ~$700+ .. I see salty 1080Ti buyers if it did that

I just dont see it happening, I will be extremely surprised if it does so with 4096 SPs
    1600mhz... lol that's super rare man... like <1% imo
    Content drought is a combination of catchup mechanics and no new content.

Quote Originally Posted by Zenny View Post
    Well according to Lisa Su consumer Vega will now launch in August at the earliest.
    er when did she say that ? link ?

afaik all that was said that gaming Vegas will be presented (not necessarily launched) at Computex

havent read anything else official

10+ Year Old Account
    http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/rad...of-months.html

Not confirmed, but if true... lel... indeed DoA edition.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaidax View Post
    http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/rad...of-months.html

Not confirmed, but if true... lel... indeed DoA edition.
    wow

yeah lol August/September screams DoA, thats waaay too late now (June would still be ok-ish if it can compete with 1080Ti), especially since vast majority have already set themselves up for ~June (pretty much everybody expects something concrete to happen shortly post-Computex - at least a paper launch)

even worse that the initial launch, whenever it comes, is likely to be only reference cards - wide aftermarket availability is even later still

http://www.overclock.net/t/1630852/f...-nvidia-intern - Volta Titan leak, take with a mountain of salt

Quote Originally Posted by larix View Post
    Yes because we know gtx2080 will be out around the same time as vega, we also know how it will perform and we do know how vega will perform! With all that information your observation is spot on! /s
    GTX 2080 will be out before Vega so yeah Vega will be DoA.
    "Every country has the government it deserves."
    Joseph de Maistre (1753 – 1821)

10+ Year Old Account
    Meanwhile

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Amalaric View Post
    GTX 2080 will be out before Vega so yeah Vega will be DoA.
    Source?

Even if it was true, at this point we still can't say it will be "DoA" since we don't know much about either - it is likely, but calling something dead before its even born is rushing things

"Frontier Edition will ship with 16GB of HBM2 towards the latter half of June. You will see the enthusiast gaming platform, the machine learning platform and the processional graphics platform very soon thereafter. And so, we will be launching Vega across all the market segments over the next couple of months. "
    sounds like July launch for gaming Vega

though i wouldnt be surprised if availability in August

Quote Originally Posted by larix View Post
    Source?

Even if it was true, at this point we still can't say it will be "DoA" since we don't know much about either - it is likely, but calling something dead before its even born is rushing things
    If other rumors are to believed, we won't be getting consumer Volta, before GDDR6 goes in to full production, which should happen in very very late 2017.

What comes to IF we see 2080 before Vega, the only hope is that AMD gets their version of tile-based rendering to work as well as Nvidia did. Which may be more than we can ask, because AMD's R&D budget is still fairly marginal compared to Nvidia.

- - - Updated - - -

Don't know if AMD is changing to Blizzard, but saying very soon after usually means a week or two at tops.

Scarab Lord Triggered Fridgekin's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

Yup. Folks are getting excited about the wrong date. Unless you're incredibly lucky and will drop whatever they cost within seconds of going on sale expect a month or more dry spell where units will slowly trickle in at high markup until production catches up with the demand. Either the initial yield will be too low or AMD will underestimate demand much like it was the case for the 480.

Willing to bet my literal farm on it.

What's worse is that you're buying something without even knowing how it performs since AMD has a NDA which only lifts on release of the product.
    A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon.

Quote Originally Posted by Triggered Fridgekin View Post
    Yup. Folks are getting excited about the wrong date. Unless you're incredibly lucky and will drop whatever they cost within seconds of going on sale expect a month or more dry spell where units will slowly trickle in at high markup until production catches up with the demand. Either the initial yield will be too low or AMD will underestimate demand much like it was the case for the 480.

Willing to bet my literal farm on it.

What's worse is that you're buying something without even knowing how it performs since AMD has a NDA which only lifts on release of the product.

There wasn't really underestimation about the demand for 480, just nobody expected that farming with GPUs was still a thing, which lead to 480s being cleared out everywhere. Which is probably what happens to Vega as well, if the price/performance is there.

Quote Originally Posted by mrgreenthump View Post
    There wasn't really underestimation about the demand for 480, just nobody expected that farming with GPUs was still a thing, which lead to 480s being cleared out everywhere. Which is probably what happens to Vega as well, if the price/performance is there.
    what? farming what with a gpu? that wasnt dead cause of asics?

Quote Originally Posted by azkhane View Post
    what? farming what with a gpu? that wasnt dead cause of asics?
    One would think so, but nope. From what I remember there was some vid going around a short while ago, and they used 480s for their ethereum farming. Someone calculated that their rig had 12672 cards in it. So yeah, fun times if this continues with VEGA.
    Last edited by mrgreenthump; 2017-05-22 at 09:08 PM.

Scarab Lord Triggered Fridgekin's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mrgreenthump View Post
    Oh my god, sitting in the AMD subreddit to see people post pics of RX 480 ethereum farms was heart breaking when there was literally zero availability in all of Canada and most of the northern hemisphere.

I'm pretty sure the reason custom boards took as long as they did to release was to fulfill the huge amount of backorders on the reference models.
    Last edited by Triggered Fridgekin; 2017-05-22 at 09:12 PM.
    A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon.