Charcoal toothpaste

So I took a second part time job at my local Kroger this summer to help pay the bills between semesters. So this is along side my job at the university. Today a customer came up to me while I was stocking the toothpaste isle and asked if we carry charcoal toothpaste. I've never heard of this. Is this a new hipster fad?

I gotta ask if hipsters just wake up every morning and ask hey how can I make the rest of the population say WTF today?
    Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

I believe it was a trend in Asia first and just worked its way the US. Not a hipster invention

It can be expansive as heck. But it's a real thing. My dentist told me about it a year ago or so.

black is the new white ?
    "The speed of light is faster than the speed of sound.
    That's why so many people look smart until they start talking."

FC-0404-6893-4293 Fire safari Larvesta/Growlithe/Braixen IGN: X Archimand, Y Shina.

Sounds absolutely retarded.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    You will eventually realize nobody takes you seriously.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i am no weeb. i am just a connoisseur of fine waifus.

Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    http://www.foxnews.com/health/2016/0...-millions.html

Seems more like some sort of lifehack of questionable value.
    looks like something crackwhores would buy.

after seeing that link i concur with my previous statement.

I was told to be careful with it, it's pretty harsh and can wear down enamel.
    I'm a thread killer.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's very harsh stuff.

People don't need much to clean their teeth. Whitening toothpastes easily damage the soft, mucous membranes of the mouth with harsh chemicals like peroxide. "Pro-Health" toothpastes, similarly, are too strong for most mouths. Just a gentle toothpaste and a soft brush with a deft, light touch is all you need to keep relatively clean. You don't need charcoal, whitening, "pro-health", etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    It can be expansive as heck. But it's a real thing. My dentist told me about it a year ago or so.
    Charcoal toothpaste is about as expensive as ordinary toothpaste so I have absolutely no idea where you live in that it costs as much as you claim.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    It's very harsh stuff.

People don't need much to clean their teeth. Whitening toothpastes easily damage the soft, mucous membranes of the mouth with harsh chemicals like peroxide. "Pro-Health" toothpastes, similarly, are too strong for most mouths. Just a gentle toothpaste and a soft brush with a deft, light touch is all you need to keep relatively clean. You don't need charcoal, whitening, "pro-health", etc.
    Making your teeth white has never been about "need" anyway, unless you are a celebrity or someone who has to be on mass media regularly.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by blankfaced View Post
    I was told to be careful with it, it's pretty harsh and can wear down enamel.
    That's kind of why you should visit the dentist every 6 months and do a cheap 10-20 bucks fluoride treatment.
    "My successes are my own, but my failures are due to extremist leftist liberals" - Party of Personal Responsibility

Prediction for the future

Quote Originally Posted by mayhem008 View Post
    So I took a second part time job at my local Kroger this summer to help pay the bills between semesters. So this is along side my job at the university. Today a customer came up to me while I was stocking the toothpaste isle and asked if we carry charcoal toothpaste. I've never heard of this. Is this a new hipster fad?

I gotta ask if hipsters just wake up every morning and ask hey how can I make the rest of the population say WTF today?
    I was sent this as a trial. Used it once out of curiosity, never again.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    It's cheap AF to buy.

LOL saw my sis doing this sht the other day. First some black thing on her face (could be charcoal too, who knows...?) now her teeth. Ugggh, what a creep She is.

It might help. Activated carbon, like the carbon found in charcoal, is used in a lot in detoxification and purification. It is one of the main components of home water purification systems. It can remove compounds affecting color. So, it isn't crazy to think that it might have some value in toothpaste. It certainly wouldn't hurt as any black color would be washed away as soon as you rinsed your mouth out.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowflakesz View Post
    Sounds absolutely retarded.
    I don't see how it's more retarded than the common toothpaste?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    I've tried it. Didn't see much of a difference. I also have a charcoal exfoliate scrub for my face. It makes it really soft, but it is harsh and must be applied gently.
    Of course your skin will be soft if you scratch it off!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Xinkir View Post
    Heard it works well but tastes bad.
    I love the taste of charcoal in the morning

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel View Post
    Every product that says it helps to: "absorb toxins" is automatically bullshit.
    It's actually what activated/medicinal charcoal does, though.

While the effect on teeth is disputed, activated carbon is used widely to prevent/mitigate a wide variety of food poisoning because it binds many toxins to itself.
    "My successes are my own, but my failures are due to extremist leftist liberals" - Party of Personal Responsibility

Prediction for the future