Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    As someone who hasn't bothered with the challenge skins yet, I don't get the DLC.

How did Donald get the skin before Gigz? Is the disc priest challenge RNG heavy or something?

10+ Year Old Account
    No offense but these builds can seriously be better optimized using amazon so there is no major price difference.

Intel Pentium G4560 76$
    MSI - B250M Pro-VD 65,99$
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GB 2400Mhz DDR4 66,99$
    Samsung 850 EVO 120GB M2 89,89$
    Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 49,99$
    EVGA - Geforce GTX 1050 TI 2GB 109,99$
    Thermaltake - Versa H15 39,22$
    Antec earthwatts green 380W 45$

Total price 543,07$

Which is a much better buy than the puppy you made. In addition you get a m2 SSD on top which usually are lightening fast. This one though is an older model so its not as fast only reaching 500MB/s.
    Inactive Wow Player Raider.IO | Inactive D3 Player | Permanent Retired EVE Player | Inactive Wot Player | Retired Openraid Raid Leader| Inactive Overwatch Player | Inactive HotS player | Youtube / Twitter | Steam | My Setup

Quote Originally Posted by chaosjones View Post
    Which is a much better buy than the puppy you made. In addition you get a m2 SSD on top which usually are lightening fast. This one though is an older model so its not as fast only reaching 500MB/s.
    Nice build but the SSD is still sata. Not any faster than a "regular" non m.2 sata ssd. But again still better suggestion than the one in OP, and cheaper at that.

Also you linked a 1050 not a 1050ti
    Last edited by Notdev; 2017-05-22 at 06:44 AM.

Thanks for the feedback. I'll consider making the lower end build less future proof in some way for the next month's build, maybe with two different options for some of the parts so people can still pick things they can reuse later if needed.

I know I am still using a PSU I purchased 8 years ago because it still is working fine, it has lived in several different builds over the years, but I guess future-proofing is a personal preference.

Quote Originally Posted by Notdev View Post
    I apologize, I wrote i7-7600k, I meant i5-7600k.
    http://www.microcenter.com/product/4...sktop_Computer
    Yeah, even using lower end parts than I normally would, just matching that (with a copy of Windows) is challenging. If you don't care about the quality of parts as much, that isn't a bad option.
    Last edited by chaud; 2017-05-22 at 05:36 AM.

No love for AMD apparently...

Quote Originally Posted by ImpTaimer View Post
    The heatsink falling off after a year was a deal breaker? I'd imagine if not realizing it happened and it damaged your computer beyond repair made you angry. Technically you're suppose to check heatsink integrity every so often regardless, especially liquid-cooling.

Honestly, that and a fried psu are the only issues I've ever had do I've been lucky

TBH I still don't really see why towers became so much more popular than standard desktop PCs, especially if you conceal/hide your computer. Perhaps it's cheaper and easier to vent vertical setups than horizontal, simply due to the nature of heat/air.

You know what I'm really surprised didn't take off? horizontal setups with built-in flip-up monitors. It was very popular for consoles (PS1, PS2, GC, Original Xbox, PS3)
    Oh, the mother board fried, only had three since then anyway, and asus has been good to me /shrug

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Onikaroshi View Post
    I may have to try MSI again at some point... been a bit wary of the brand after a northbridge heatsink fell off a mobo i had like... 10 years ago (it was only a year old at the time)

All brands have a chance at random shit like that happening tbh, get it replaced and move on IMO.

Also, whats up with not suggesting Ryzen CPUs in the appropriate categories? I'm using the 1600 and its a fantastic CPU for the price and the 1500X competes with the 7700k easily fpor price vs performance.
    Tikki tikki tembo, Usagi no Yojimbo, chari bari ruchi pip peri pembo!

Brewmaster
    7+ Year Old Account
    lol recommending an i5

No Ryzen builds?
    And still going with i5 with 4C/4T? Way to go if you do not care about future proofing.

Plz fire this dude.
    Last edited by Gich; 2017-05-22 at 09:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gich View Post
    No Ryzen builds?
    And still going with i5 with 4C/4T? Way to go if you do not care about future proofing.

Plz fire this dude.
    I guess they intend this PCs to only be used for WoW; where purely good Single core performance is all that matters.

Even then I agree, why get a 7600K, when you can get the R7 1600 that comes with a free cooler that'll let to clock up if you so desire.

Quote Originally Posted by Worgoblin View Post
    I really need a new computer. But I've decided to just wait it out for awhile. And I'm no expert on this, but wouldn't it be a bad decision to get anything less than 16gb of ram at this point?
    http://www.techspot.com/article/1043...ram/page3.html

That's if you're gaming and running nothing else at all. I'm a tab freak in chrome, and it's currently using 28% of my total system memory, so just 9GB.

This day and age I think 8GB is the minimum limit, with 16GB being a nice amount. Especially if you run more than just the single game and discord.

Quote Originally Posted by lightningK View Post
    thank u for the relicinspector addon
    had no idea they were a thing and using the in game loot book only shows my spec
    The ingame book also shows other specs if you just change what spec the book is using in its own dropdown menu.

Quote Originally Posted by chaud View Post
    Thanks for the feedback. I'll consider making the lower end build less future proof in some way for the next month's build, maybe with two different options for some of the parts so people can still pick things they can reuse later if needed.

I know I am still using a PSU I purchased 8 years ago because it still is working fine, it has lived in several different builds over the years, but I guess future-proofing is a personal preference.

Yeah, even using lower end parts than I normally would, just matching that (with a copy of Windows) is challenging. If you don't care about the quality of parts as much, that isn't a bad option.
    Thanks for the reply again.

I think its just kinda ridiculous how your budget from Dolphin > Unicorn goes up $500 yet you're only going from a 3GB 1060 to a 6GB 1060 and keeping the same processor. I juist think you're putting too much money in nice to haves and not putting enough into things that will actually affect performance.

I think Ryzen 5 deserves at least a mention alongside intel i5's. Swapping the 7600k for an r5 1600 on the Dolphin build saves you $20 on the processor, $25 on the heat sink, and ~$50 on the motherboard, gets you triple the threads, and you get a processor that will be much more future proof and better at everything (streaming, computing, recording, rendering) except single core performance, at the cost of slightly worse current gaming performance in games that value single threaded performance.

Maybe for Puppy go for a true budget gaming build with little/no bells and whistles. Just a cheap, but current, build that allows people to play e-sport titles well, and new titles at 1080p with turned down settings. Something like a G4560/RX 460 or GTX 1050/8GB of ram, no SSD (but you can also suggest one), no aftermarket cooler, cheap (but reliable) PSU, b250/h270 motherboard, cheap case, etc. By cutting the bells and whistles you can make a serious budget build for people that are really restricted, instead of getting them to spend a couple hundred on things that won't impact current gaming performance whatsoever.

Everything Dolphin and up should have a SSD imo.

The Unicorn build should have an i7-7700k and a 1070 minimum. You're suggesting a build for people with a very high budget basically, shouldn't be cutting corners on the big ticket items, especially not in favor of an expensive cooler/PSU/motherboard/HDD.

Just my suggestions. I don't mean to be a dick, but its not hard to imagine that some people use these guilds for their builds, and you're just not giving them very good advice.

edit: I'd like to add that pigeonholing people into amazon only causes them to miss deals such as the incredible Gigabyte GTX 1080 8GB for $360 deal from Newegg this morning.
    Last edited by Notdev; 2017-05-22 at 07:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Valentyn View Post
    That's if you're gaming and running nothing else at all. I'm a tab freak in chrome, and it's currently using 28% of my total system memory, so just 9GB.

This day and age I think 8GB is the minimum limit, with 16GB being a nice amount. Especially if you run more than just the single game and discord.
    If you actually read the article its running the game while having 65 tabs open.

I'm going to go ahead and say that techspot is more credible than your anecdotal evidence. It is in no way shape or form a necessity to have 16gb of ram. If you are building a budget rig 8gb is perfectly acceptable. Even in mid range the computer forum tends to suggest 8gb in favor of putting the money elsewhere. 16gb is just tossing money for little to no performance gain.

Edit: If you go to the second page they even test adobe premier cc, specwpc, and 7-zip. "The only application we could find that really benefited from 16GB was 7-Zip, though we had to use a crazy big dictionary size to create heavy RAM demand."
    "
    Last edited by Vertigo X; 2017-05-22 at 06:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gich View Post
    No Ryzen builds?
    I'll second this.

Having just built a new PC, first one in over 8 years and has to last another 8 years, I went with a Ryzen Build.

Granted I spent far too much money (said the wife), I still went with as much future proofing as possible.

I cost me twice as much as the Narwhale, but that is UK GBP, so slightly inflated prices.

Quote Originally Posted by Whiteboard View Post
    The ingame book also shows other specs if you just change what spec the book is using in its own dropdown menu.
    nope has never done that for me.
    it always show based on the spec im on.
    So if im on my ww monk and i want to see mw relic, even after switching, itll still show as ww.
    ive tried using loot spec, nothin. only when i change the spec does it refresh the book and i can see.

btw just to be in the same page: i'm talking about trait the relic belongs to not whether or not if a different spec uses that 1 type of relic

edit2: so in the other words, if my spec is holy and I mouseover a prot pally or ret relic it wont tell me what trait it belongs to for that spec not unless i change to those specs.
    Last edited by lightningK; 2017-05-22 at 07:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vertigo X View Post
    If you actually read the article its running the game while having 65 tabs open.

I'm going to go ahead and say that techspot is more credible than your anecdotal evidence. It is in no way shape or form a necessity to have 16gb of ram. If you are building a budget rig 8gb is perfectly acceptable. Even in mid range the computer forum tends to suggest 8gb in favor of putting the money elsewhere. 16gb is just tossing money for little to no performance gain.

Edit: If you go to the second page they even test adobe premier cc, specwpc, and 7-zip. "The only application we could find that really benefited from 16GB was 7-Zip, though we had to use a crazy big dictionary size to create heavy RAM demand."
    "
    Interesting, a normal Premiere Pro project for me eats well over 20GB.

Running WoW right now and this is how much system memory is being used, with Chrome, and discord open.

28% ( 9.1GB ) out of a total of 32GB.

My entire workflow and system would grind to a halt with 8GB of RAM, and that excludes working in the Adobe Suite.
    Last edited by Valentyn; 2017-05-22 at 08:45 PM.

If you open the artifact window for a relic that your current spec doesn't use, it will show it for whatever artifact window you opened. Meaning: if I'm a frost mage and a fire relic drops, if I shift-right click my fire artifact weapon, the fire relic tooltip will say what fire trait it gives without having to entirely switch specs to see it.

Quote Originally Posted by Valentyn View Post
    Interesting, a normal Premiere Pro project for me eats well over 20GB.

Running WoW right now and this is how much system memory is being used, with Chrome, and discord open.

28% ( 9.1GB ) out of a total of 32GB.

My entire workflow and system would grind to a halt with 8GB of RAM, and that excludes working in the Adobe Suite.
    Also, if you read the article, your system may say its using X amount of ram but you'll see little to no performance loss with less ram. Read it before you reply.

Edit: Also that may say 28% but it says pretty clearly its only using 1.8gb of ram on WoW
    Last edited by Vertigo X; 2017-05-23 at 12:31 PM.