Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    really people is still over this kind of crap? I think i'll buy it and have a laugh at it.
    Non ti fidar di me se il cuor ti manca.

I like it. It's funny and gets the right people offended.

well ppl are either going to be prone to violence or they are not.

I've played all of the worst violent games, still largely a pacifist. don't get me wrong if i have to defend myself i will do so with whatever means necessary.

but after years of playing mortal combat, doom, gta and other games that are focused entirely on gore and violence, i can't say its made me feel like going on a rampage.

Quote Originally Posted by Heathy View Post
    well ppl are either going to be prone to violence or they are not.

I've played all of the worst violent games, still largely a pacifist. don't get me wrong if i have to defend myself i will do so with whatever means necessary.

but after years of playing mortal combat, doom, gta and other games that are focused entirely on gore and violence, i can't say its made me feel like going on a rampage.
    To play devil's advocate(I don't agree games have a large impact on turning a violent person violent) I never got this side of the argument either.

It's much easier to just point to research that has been done which proves them wrong.

Statements like this do the opposite, they actually give way to more argument. For example, not everybody who gambles lacks control and will stop after winning or losing a few times. Others will lose all their weekly paycheck. Comparing your own anecdotal does nothing to help the opposing argument. Just point to the research as I noted above.

15+ Year Old Account
    Let's not forget how peace-loving and kind humanity was before Video Games came along.
    Facilis Descensus Averno

Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    To play devil's advocate(I don't agree games have a large impact on turning a violent person violent) I never got this side of the argument either.

It's much easier to just point to research that has been done which proves them wrong.

Statements like this do the opposite, they actually give way to more argument. For example, not everybody who gambles lacks control and will stop after winning or losing a few times. Others will lose all their weekly paycheck. Comparing your own anecdotal does nothing to help the opposing argument. Just point to the research as I noted above.
    I think you have to have that disposition in you before hand, i think violent games can definitely influence those who are already prone to violent outbursts. but if you are not a violent person then its highly unlikely in my opinion that playing violent games can magically turn you into a serial killer.

either you have no empathy, consideration, compassion and are essentially a sociopath or a psychopath to begin with or you have those things and wouldn't have it in you to act against your own moral compass regardless of how much digital violence you witness.

i guess anyone can eventually snap, I don't think gaming is the actual spark, more so its most likely a life issue, a mental issue or a societal issue.
    Last edited by Heathy; 2017-05-23 at 08:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Heathy View Post
    I think you have to have that disposition in you before hand, i think violent games can definitely influence those who are already prone to violent outbursts. but if you are not a violent person then its highly unlikely in my opinion that playing violent games can magically turn you into a serial killer.

either you have no empathy, consideration, compassion and are essentially a sociopath or a psychopath to begin with or you have those things and wouldn't have it in you to act against your own moral compass regardless of how much digital violence you witness.

i guess anyone can eventually snap, I don't think gaming is the actual spark, more so its most likely a life issue, a mental issue or a societal issue.
    Many studies have been done and they have never been able to connect violence in games to being a violent person.

A game(or movie, or song, or anything really) could give an already violent person an idea on how to commit an act of violence and that is where their weak argument comes in.

So yea don't get me wrong, games are certainly not a trigger that makes a violent person violent. Was just playing devil's advocate so you could see how they would argue against any anecdotal evidence.

Quote Originally Posted by Arganis View Post
    Let's not forget how peace-loving and kind humanity was before Video Games came along.
    Indeed. We had 2 World Wars last century, but not one since video games were released. This means video games prevent World Wars, right?

that's entirely up to how you play some games, really. some people download mods, just to be able to kill the snarky brats in skyrim. others play as heroes that defend those snarky brats.

ignoring the context in which the killing is done is just disingenuous. his title is "lt. col.", i would assume that is lieutenant colonel? that means he's in the military. when he went into combat, what was the context in which he killed? was it to eradicate dirty brown people? or was it in the name of justice to stop a violent extremist?

Deleted
    People who write books like this must have trouble differentiating fiction from reality.

Deleted
    Give me a good RPG where I'm allowed to kill anyone and i will be happy.

Btw are we assassins now? That's pretty cool.

Deleted
    It truly does astonish me that these people who consider themselves such "experts" in matters of psychology and behavior can't seem to tell apart fantasy from reality. You can't kill a bunch of pixels, because they're not, well...alive.

I watched Masterchef a few times, and now I have 2 Michelin stars /s
    RETH

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by CmdrShep2154 View Post

I have never seen a game where you kill someone for offending you.
    I like how they specifically point out "Women, People of minority Races" as if games get you to kill people specifically because of those 2 things.

tbh 95% of the NPC's I kill in Video Games are White Males, lmao.

Immediately thought of GTA V. Dozens of people that died offending me there at least had the comfort of knowing they aren't dying just because I drove through the pavement.

In reality, nobody knows what influence video games have on human aggression. I'd say we are inherently brutal in some way, and need some way to vent - like
    playing brutal video games, watching action movies or going to a country music festival. Imaginary brutalities might be cathartic. Then again, it might be working the other way around.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Halicia View Post
    Thats not what it says, it says "these people don't deserve to live."

Have you not played a MOBA or MMO where people have said "Go kill yourself (derogatory term of some sort)" ?
    Silly example, as that is not in the design of the game, but in the social interaction of people. I've had people tell me to go kill myself on Social Media. BETTER BAN ALL THAT!

They've been saying for decades now that violence in video games will cause violence IRL; it hasn't happened. I remember someone saying once that playing violent video games has made them violent, like playing SIM City has made them want to be mayor. It just has no correlation or causation.

10+ Year Old Account
    "In the world of violent video games, WOMEN..... I rest my case hahaha
    Quote Originally Posted by Pie Eater View Post
    Have you read the planned frost mage "nerfs" ?!? It's like nerfing a hangman's rope by coloring it blue.
    Mr. Smith about the cost of Triple-spec
    3k gold right off the bat, about 5 silver a week later.

Quote Originally Posted by chewie49 View Post
    They've been saying for decades now that violence in video games will cause violence IRL; it hasn't happened. I remember someone saying once that playing violent video games has made them violent, like playing SIM City has made them want to be mayor. It just has no correlation or causation.
    I recall a story a few years back about someone who killed someone and went to jail, and when they went into his apartment they found I think it was Call of Duty? The media started talking and he was like "No, cut that shit out", even he was mad that people were trying to scapegoat video games over the reason he actually did it.

Herald of the Titans Orangetai420's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

Then you've never played GTA. I've pulled plenty of people out of their car and beat them to death for cutting me off in traffic.
    MMO-C, home of the worst community on the internet.