10+ Year Old Account
    Czech Republic, Euro-Atlantic civilisation
    Quote Originally Posted by Shigenari View Post
    Yes. Being intolerant of other ideas rather than trying to understand one another is really working out well for everyone so far.

As long as you have an ideological stance, who gives a fuck about the consequences, right?
    I have no desire to understand some culture stuck in middle ages. They moved here, it is on them to assimilate, if they dont like it here, they can move somewhere else.
    Quote Originally Posted by b2121945 View Post
    Don't see what's wrong with fighting alongside Nazi Germany
    Quote Originally Posted by JfmC View Post
    someone who disagrees with me is simply wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Drew View Post
    Salman Abedi, 22 years old. Damn 22 years old ..
    Yup.

The west has a big problem with 2nd and 3rd generation youth being radicalized. If we pretend it is business as usual things will only worsen.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Astalnar View Post
    How about banning islam? Seems we're willing to do everything but addressing the very elephant in the room.
    Because it's not actually a religious war, it's a political one. The religion is a tool, the environment created by the Western powers is the cause.

Quote Originally Posted by Feahnor View Post
    There are targets that would solve the conflict in one day, everybody knows that.
    which ones? Mecca and Medina? because both are in SA... and if you really want a holy war, then yeah, lets nuke mecca and medina, killing millions of innocent people
    Forgive my english, as i'm not a native speaker

Deleted
    This thread is a disgrace

Quote Originally Posted by Thepersona View Post
    which ones? Mecca and Medina? because both are in SA... and if you really want a holy war, then yeah, lets nuke mecca and medina, killing millions of innocent people
    "Pfft. Everyone knows there's no such thing as an innocent Muslim."

It looks like that the majority of people who get excited and their pants wet over such attacks are most often those very same people who screech from the top of their lungs that they don't want immigrants in THEIR country (while probably being max 5th generation immigrant themselves), with little more than 50 IQ and 3rd grade education. Society is ever-changing and migration has always been a thing, the same with fucknuts like that bomber. It's just feels very awkward to read when some people think that their idea of western democracy should be the status quo (be it on religions, races, sexualities, genders or whatever) - not even 200 years ago the majority of people who lived in Western Europe probably thought that giving rights to women is just a plain crazy thing to do and the society is doomed if it's ever going to happen.
    Quote Originally Posted by UcanDoSht View Post
    Nobody is stopping you to play Elemental casually during questing or raiding #1000 with your disabled mage friends.

Quote Originally Posted by Nurasu View Post
    Because it's not actually a religious war, it's a political one. The religion is a tool, the environment created by the Western powers is the cause.
    The west can no longer be blamed though, because enough time has passed for those former colonial colonies to stand on their own two feet.

Quote Originally Posted by Mafic View Post
    Yup.

The west has a big problem with 2nd and 3rd generation youth being radicalized. If we pretend it is business as usual things will only worsen.
    things should be done to attack the root of the problem then (why 2nd or 3rd generations are being radicalized), it may be an economical problem, or may be a religious one
    Forgive my english, as i'm not a native speaker

Because as human beings we're all fallible. Everyone has their own ideas about what's right and what's wrong, even within cultures. To talk about a society's 'values', by the way is ridiculous. There are plenty of people even within my society who I disagree with wildly. It's not like they're written down somewhere.

To answer your question: Why should we try to understand something we disagree with? Because that's how you learn. I mean, if it's your view that you think what you think, that's set in stone and literally nothing can ever persuade you otherwise, then what is the point in literally anybody ever having a discussion with you?

We should be tolerant of other cultures because it is useful to have some degree of humility. We can not be right all the time, and when we allow for the possibility of people we disagree with having some things to say that are of value, and they allow for that possibility too, we can both learn something.

Am I actually having to explain this for real?

I live here, I disagree with you. Should I leave the country too? Should I try to force you out of the country? As far as I can see, I'm not part of your culture and I don't want to be a part of it either because it seems hateful and backwards. As long as people continue to point blank refuse to even attempt to understand one another, this shit will continue.
    I agree that we shouldn't turn away those with differences. But the point of cultures clashing is just as valid...how can we accept a worldview that western democracy is not good enough or should be replaced?

That to me is my red line where anyone against western democracy has no business living and being supported by a western democracy.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    The west can no longer be blamed though, because enough time has passed for those former colonial colonies to stand on their own two feet.
    We are still interfering with them to this day, this very second. We completely fucked Iran only 30 years ago. How has enough time passed?

We should be tolerant of other cultures because it is useful to have some degree of humility. We can not be right all the time, and when we allow for the possibility of people we disagree with having some things to say that are of value, and they allow for that possibility too, we can both learn something.
    You shouldn't have some degree of humility for cultures that clash with yours. They need to adapt to the host countries culture or they shouldn't be there in the first place.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by sefrimutro View Post
    This thread is a disgrace
    How dare people criticize your sacred cow, such a disgrace.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by PrimaryColor View Post
    How dare people criticize your sacred cow, such a disgrace.
    That must be it, sure.

In my view, it's a case of attacking the ideas, not the people.

"I don't agree with you" - Fine.

"I don't agree with you, and if you don't like it you should get out of my country" - Not fine.
    Both are fine in regards to culture clashes. You have no obligation to host foreign people who cause problems in your country when there is culture clashes.

Quote Originally Posted by Nurasu View Post
    We are still interfering with them to this day, this very second. We completely fucked Iran only 30 years ago. How has enough time passed?
    Nope.

At some point they have to take agency for either succeeding or failing. Some former colonial colonies in 30 years are economic hubs and others are still in shambles. Can't blame the west anymore.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Freighter View Post
    You shouldn't have some degree of humility for cultures that clash with yours. They need to adapt to the host countries culture or they shouldn't be there in the first place.
    That I can agree with.

Quote Originally Posted by Freighter View Post
    Do you want them to adapt as in adopt some culture or do you want them to just get rid of their culture entirely? For instance does arabic culture clash with european culture? Does doing the Dabke somehow reuin european culture?

Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    Do you want them to adapt as in adopt some culture or do you want them to just get rid of their culture entirely? For instance does arabic culture clash with european culture? Does doing the Dabke somehow reuin european culture?
    If there's clashes then they should adapt to the societies culture that they reside in so they no longer clash with them.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Nope.

At some point they have to take agency for either succeeding or failing. Some former colonial colonies in 30 years are economic hubs and others are still in shambles. Can't blame the west anymore.
    Care to guess which ones' governments we've deposed?

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Baiyn the Second View Post
    It shook me because when I heard about the attack, I didn't bat an eyelid. Acts of barbarism like this have become so commonplace in Europe now that, I only had an emotional reaction when the dead - and their young ages - started being identified.
    We have shockingly allowed attacks like these against us to become mundane. It's wrong.
    Uhm, considering less people in europe die to terror attacks still than 20 years ago, i can't see your point.
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.