Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Resiak1066 View Post
    Fine, i'll go ahead and play along. Warlocks didn't get love in party finder. I didn't get accepted over the other dps, and the couple times i tried starting a group, no one joined. Or two more dps joined and we sat there. Could I have tried hard, done a couple more things? Yes. But I'm not the most social person. And while your sitting in the party finder window, looking at candidates, or trying to join groups, your not doing anything else. So if you spend an hour trying to get a group together, you didnt do anything else. But when you use the dungeon finder, you put yourself in the q, and do off and do what you want for 15 minutes. What sounds more appealing?

As for the why i needed mythics. The artifact appearance quest. The souls for the illidan quest. Those where the two last quests I had. I had a raid group. We completed heroic EN, HOV, while relevant, and where working on heroic NH when I quit. But another reason I left and came is because no one played when not raiding. They where obssessed with Overwatch. I couldnt get them to come on wow for dungeons. So my guild wasnt an option.

As for 14. Thats simple, I dont play it like I did wow. My days of organized raiding our done. Too old, have a family. Trying to raid again in wow was causing issues...a 3rd reason to move on. So I don't care when ex primals are in df, i havnt done higher then bismark. I've never done a savage mode. I'm working through the creator series. And have yet to do Dun Scathe. So how 14 handles the df versus the pf does not matter to me.
    The artifact quest is different, thats vanity and optional, I wouldn't call that progressing the game and the Illidan quest line actually can be done on HC dungeons which you can LFG for, it just takes longer, the damn quest actually says you get more souls with tougher content so thats just speed.

Your issue is not issue with the game but your circumstances, I don't even know how you can blame the game at all, and all easy content in WoW and FF14 can be queued, mythic and Ex trials are equivalents to each other in terms of where they are placed with the games progression path, thus can be compared in how they fit in with the DF or PF system.

I have been to Blizzcon, thanks. And I didn't say Metzen never did autographs or interacted. I said I've never heard of him doing so for an hour past what they allotted for him to do so. They're not the same job, but they're the same position as the devleopment "face of the team" (until recent years as Metzen became less seen before his retirement/semi-retirement).

One time was enough for me, though. Having the Blizzard band shouting "Fuck the Alliance" on stage wasn't as entertaining as seeing Koji-Fox attempt a live performance of hat-swapping Moogle Mog with the Primals.
    So you are just using assumptions for Metzen? Also I thought Metzen was more face of the company and not just WoW specifically considering his position was creative director or something like that so he doesn't actually have input in the game mechanics from the sounds of it.

Also I see nothing wrong with him being passionate about aspects of the game, I do enjoy it as fuck the alliance or other way round is spirit of the game, you know, the game is called warcraft.

Yes Yoshi P has done signings, in fact the first london fanfest I was at the VIP event where he signed my 2.0 collectors edition and I have photos with him and the team, but doesn't mean he can't be criticised, I heavily do.

Also if you want to go that route, the Suramar storyline does just that, some of the Zone quests does point you towards some of the dungeons in Legion if you read the quest text at times.

In fact they even had story around the MSQ if you can call it that in WOTLK with the ICC dungeons and Dragonsoul dungeons, which were actually good.

Also as a point of information, I don't skip story, I am an oldish school FF player and I played FF14 during its 1.0 stages is pitifully bad as that was.
    Last edited by mmoc80f347fccc; 2017-05-23 at 09:06 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Palace of the Dead is pretty cool, good luck finishing BLM casts though.
    10850k (10c 20t) @ all-core 5GHz @ 1.250v | EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra Gaming | 32GB DDR4 3200 | 1TB M.2 OS/Game SSD | 4TB 7200RPM Game HDD | 10TB 7200 RPM Storage HDD | ViewSonic XG2703-GS - 27" IPS 1440p 165Hz Native G-Sync | HP Reverb G2 VR Headset

Quote Originally Posted by MrPaladinGuy View Post
    Palace of the Dead is pretty cool, good luck finishing BLM casts though.
    BLM in PoTD at low aetherpool is an exercise in frustration; I state that despite having a thousand hours or more play time at level 60 on the job.

However...once you get aetherpool up, it's comical how fast you can drop mobs (at least in 51-100). I'm still itching to push for floor 200 on BLM (friends all log in at different times, gg).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by CandyCotton Marshmallows View Post
    It's not that black and white as your last line; there are decent players, bad players, and top tier players. You are saying if you aren't in the major leagues you suck, just isn't true, some play for fun, for some its work.

>mana management<
    1) You don't need elite league skill in order to fill your downtime with adequate DPS in dungeons.
    2) True, you need to know your limits and the limits of the group. In raid encounters ABC can be detrimental, I absolutely agree. I also was talking more about dungeon runs.
    As a white mage I am a mana sponge, esp if I go all out on DPS.
    Still what worries me more is having a free GCD if crap happens. So there are phases when I deliberately decide to do nothing because I know it is likely that one of my group members will fail and that 2s GCD can mean the difference between life and death.
    This is a learning process, these assessments need quite a bit of experience, so I never put pressure to DPS on inexperienced healers and I also don't rage if they miscalculate and do too much DPS.

That being said: If I have the time to REPEATEDLY notice that you are doing nothing while seeing that there is barely any damage incoming... yeah I will be a bit annoyed.

- - - Updated - - -

You have to realize that for some, cleric stance itself is intimidating. I know, hard to believe, but that 5 second cd; or forgetting to clear it, or thinking you cleared to but it didn't take. Newer players will not take to it well until they get very comfortable with their entire toolkit and know they won't let someone die because they tried to help out.
    They WILL fuck up cleric. People WILL die.

I'm a 10 year MMO veteran and this still happens occasionally. Part of the game. We are human, we make mistakes and then there is internet lag.

So I fully understand if the prospect of "does the tank survive potentially 7.5 seconds w/o heal?" is intimidating at times and people choose the safer route.

Quote Originally Posted by Thorianrage View Post
    The artifact quest is different, thats vanity and optional, I wouldn't call that progressing the game and the Illidan quest line actually can be done on HC dungeons which you can LFG for, it just takes longer, the damn quest actually says you get more souls with tougher content so thats just speed.

Your issue is not issue with the game but your circumstances, I don't even know how you can blame the game at all, and all easy content in WoW and FF14 can be queued, mythic and Ex trials are equivalents to each other in terms of where they are placed with the games progression path, thus can be compared in how they fit in with the DF or PF system.
    I think your confused. The conversation was about a feature (the msq being required) that some people don't like. I was explaining a feature I didn't like in another game. It just so happened to be wow. And how instead of arguing and throwing a fit and trying to change it, I accepted that it was how the developers wanted, and moved on. I never said it stopped me from progressing. I didn't like the feature. I had no interest in using the party finder. And I didn't see why mythic normals couldnt be in the dungeon finder with the random queues. We both no mythic normals wernt hard. But thats the design they went with.

There where other reasons (bigger reasons) that caused me to come back to FF 14. But thats a feature I could use as an equivalent, as it was an issue I had with the game design that I didn't like where I chose to move on instead of fighting to change the game to suit my needs.

Quote Originally Posted by Faroth View Post
    IDENTITY.
    The game already has a strong identity. It's got a very well known brand name, as well as proven MMO pedigree from FF11. It's also availible on PS4 and has crossplay with PC, which is something few other MMO's can claim.

I would argue that it's not the first MMO people think of when they want a story driven one. That would be SWTOR, which has focused on it's story content to the exclusion of all else. It also allows for character expression in a way that FF titles have always lacked.

Yet I have often seen raiders claim anything not raiding "isn't real content." And it's typically the hardcore raiders who insist skipping MSQ to instantly access endgame as soon as possible is an absolute necessity. Forgive me if I expect those people to develop the same attitude I've seen time and time again where all content is a waste but theirs while not applying the same expectation to people I've never seen make the same claims.
    I'm not saying that people have claimed the development budget should go on Triple Triad, only that given the choice everyone would prefer more of the budget was spent on the content they enjoyed doing the most. It holds true if you're a Raider, only play for Fishing and everything in between.

It's not only the raiders who want to skip the MSQ. I've talked to plenty of people in game who just didn't like the MSQ for the story. I can see why, I've said multiple times that I think Alphinaud is vapid and uninteresting and that I would crack open the champagne if Tataru was brutally murdered. There are very few identifiable themes within the story, it's paced poorly and is very predictable. It's just not a very good story and I'm not the only one who think so.

Is it so far outside the realm of possibility that some players just do not enjoy the story FF14 is trying to tell?

WoW clearly hasn't been too concerned with their story. FFXIV has. Two different communities, two very different games.
    True, however I was pointing out that the attitude behind "go back to WoW!" is incrediably harmful to the community as a whole. Using it as a means to shut down any criticism from people who dislike certain parts of the game is going to turn FF14 into a niche echo chamber rather than an MMO with mass market appeal. I WANT FF14 to have mass appeal, I want people to play it and love it as much as I do. That cannot happen if you've got a section of the community attacking others by telling people to play a competing title instead. That pushes new players out of the community rather than welcomes them in.

Yet immediately that's not enough since Strawberry's first note was thinking it should be free....

Once it's free, what's the next demand? No MSQ required for current content either?
    I'm all in favour of just letting players do whatever they want. That means no MSQ restrictions on anything. At all. You go out into the world of Eorzea and you do you. One should not have to pay extra so they don't have to do content that doesn't interest them. Squenix should not be trying to charge their customers to fix the games design errors. Especially not when they're also cashing in big on other game related merchandise too!

That doesn't mean removing the MSQ. It just means letting those that want to do it do it, and those that don't level using other means. Having the choice is of benefit to everyone, especially when it has no effect on anyone elses play.

Quote Originally Posted by Resiak1066 View Post
    But why did they have to skip the MSQ. Why couldn't you just do the lowest dungeon one of your friends need, split up to let people do what they need to do, then regroup for the next dungeon? I mean, thats what this game is. I don't pick up other games, then expect the developers to change the game for me. I just move on.
    Because everyone was at a different part of the MSQ despite being in the same level range. It ment we were constantly either waiting around for one guy to do half an hour of quests to go to a dungeon people needed, or we'd have to go do a lower level one we'd already done before.

Even trying to do the MSQ together was a pain in the arse. Lots of solo duties that force you to drop group and lots of collect quests which end up taking much longer with more people around. The entire chain is awful to try grouped. I know it sounds crazy, but I don't invite friends to a game to end up soloing without them, but in the end thats what had to happen since everyone leveled at their own pace.

Quote Originally Posted by Granyala View Post

They WILL fuck up cleric. People WILL die.

I'm a 10 year MMO veteran and this still happens occasionally. Part of the game. We are human, we make mistakes and then there is internet lag.

So I fully understand if the prospect of "does the tank survive potentially 7.5 seconds w/o heal?" is intimidating at times and people choose the safer route.
    And how do you learn if not by your mistakes ? That's how people get better.

You have to realize that for some, cleric stance itself is intimidating. I know, hard to believe, but that 5 second cd; or forgetting to clear it, or thinking you cleared to but it didn't take. Newer players will not take to it well until they get very comfortable with their entire toolkit and know they won't let someone die because they tried to help out. It can't be looked at only from the angle of decade seasoned healers, mmorpgers. Not only that, but you have to remember people are different in general; some are naturally nervous and apprehensive, they will be more hesitant about most things and that can apply to your social gathering example as well. They may not want to get in the way, not want to grab stuff out of aomeone else's vehicle, know where to put things; they may just overthink it all, doesn't make them a bad person.
    I'm not even talking about Cleric Stance, really. It's totally possible for healers to contribute DPS without Cleric Stance turned on. Obviously it would be better of it was turned on, but low damage is better than no damage. The recast on it can be punishing if you don't know the fights or the dungeons, so I'm not asking for perfection, just for them to NOT be/ act lazy by standing doing nothing for more than 50% of the fight in some cases.

Everyone is new at some point and they learn with experience, I accept that, so I don't mind having to prompt/ ask about healers doing damage in dungeons with or without cleric stance. It's when they respond with ambivalence or aggression towards me for asking that I get frustrated.

While I understand why some people say "you don't pay my sub," because they're paying to play their way and have fun....but so are the other, 3, 7 or 23 other people in the group, party or raid and 3 > 1...so by someone refusing to do their best when in a group, it shows a massive amount of disrespect and selfishness. IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by StrawberryZebra View Post
    Because everyone was at a different part of the MSQ despite being in the same level range. It ment we were constantly either waiting around for one guy to do half an hour of quests to go to a dungeon people needed, or we'd have to go do a lower level one we'd already done before.

Even trying to do the MSQ together was a pain in the arse. Lots of solo duties that force you to drop group and lots of collect quests which end up taking much longer with more people around. The entire chain is awful to try grouped. I know it sounds crazy, but I don't invite friends to a game to end up soloing without them, but in the end thats what had to happen since everyone leveled at their own pace.
    I personally would have just said lets do our things, play through the game, help each other with dungeons and trials when ever people need them, and we'll all meet up at 60 to start out statics. But thats me. To me, 14 is a main entry to final fantasy, and as such, should be expected to be narrative driven game. I see it as a game that happens to have multi player portions.

I'll try and argue a little less emotionally as wreckangle would put it. I believe the story should be played and enjoyed by any fan of the game. But not everyone agrees. And the devs see that and are giving the potions as an in between. I just don't want to see the game catering to people that want to skip straight to end game and raiding. The story should still be the driving force of the game, and the main focus. And I think if they did go the route of making the MSQ skippable, there should be some serious bonuses to those that do play through it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Katchii View Post
    I'm not even talking about Cleric Stance, really. It's totally possible for healers to contribute DPS without Cleric Stance turned on. Obviously it would be better of it was turned on, but low damage is better than no damage. The recast on it can be punishing if you don't know the fights or the dungeons, so I'm not asking for perfection, just for them to NOT be/ act lazy by standing doing nothing for more than 50% of the fight in some cases.

Everyone is new at some point and they learn with experience, I accept that, so I don't mind having to prompt/ ask about healers doing damage in dungeons with or without cleric stance. It's when they respond with ambivalence or aggression towards me for asking that I get frustrated.

While I understand why some people say "you don't pay my sub," because they're paying to play their way and have fun....but so are the other, 3, 7 or 23 other people in the group, party or raid and 3 > 1...so by someone refusing to do their best when in a group, it shows a massive amount of disrespect and selfishness. IMO.
    Truth be told, the issue isn't targeted at new players, the people that use new players as an excuse is pure deflection from those that don't intend to put it their all in group content.

The experienced players that can play decently have big issues with the playerbase in FF14 because a large amount of veterans, and by that I mean just long standing players but also not very good at group content that refuse or unable to get better no matter what you try teach them are just well that, rubbish.

The game is at its 2nd expansion, the players that are already waiting for the expansion are not new players.

Deleted
    I see this argument started again and again people are saying "you cant judge how others play" "I play healer to heal not to dps". K so I play tank to tank not dps therefore I should spam just my enmity combo and stay in grit forever despite clearly having blood weapon as a skill to make sure the dungeon takes 10 minutes longer. I did my job right? No that would be me being terrible and a dick. I value other peoples time just as much as I value mine and when I play with others I ll try to play optimally because I respect them until they do something to cause me not to.
    A healer in a dungeon that would rather sit idle than dps is a shit healer. Period. There is no counter argument and no judging in this. They made it easier for you to heal and dps by making your main stat increase your dps and abolished the original cleric stance. With how easy dungeons are I see no reason not to dps and there are absolutely no cases other than some points in the vault currently where a healer does not have the outmost luxury to switch to dps even for most of the fight.
    I play a healer myself (albeit casually) and literally dungeons boil down to: put hots on the tank, proceed to dps away.
    if dps fuck up you switch out of CS again but lets not kid ourselves that does not happen very often. Its more likely to come across a shitty dps (dmg wise) than a dps who is shit at mechanics.

PS: in before someone tries to find yet another loophole to this, new players are of course not counted in this statement as they lack the necessary experience.
    Last edited by mmoc29acf4d9f4; 2017-05-24 at 12:47 AM.

Deleted
    So anyone with a suggestion for a ninja glamour?
    Set i am using now works, but it doesn't feel all that... original.
    And with weapons drawn the skirt extends rather wide for my liking, been trying to look for other replacements there but not finding anything great yet...
    (or maybe i should drop the yukata idea all together)

Edit: also some nice not over stylized but good looking daggers, they seem impossible to get other then some relic steps (ARR/HW both)

What's the state of PvP in this game? I hear it's bad, but is it bad because it just sucks on Square's part and how it plays out. Or is it bad because the playerbase just sucks at it, and lack of interest.

I'm playing the trial and enjoying it quite a bit. I get the fact that the game is PvE orientated, but endgame for me will probably be everything outside of raiding, so if PvP is at least decent, it would supplement all the other stuff I wanna do and like (crafting, fishing, fates and leves, etc)

Quote Originally Posted by schwy View Post
    What's the state of PvP in this game? I hear it's bad, but is it bad because it just sucks on Square's part and how it plays out. Or is it bad because the playerbase just sucks at it, and lack of interest.

I'm playing the trial and enjoying it quite a bit. I get the fact that the game is PvE orientated, but endgame for me will probably be everything outside of raiding, so if PvP is at least decent, it would supplement all the other stuff I wanna do and like (crafting, fishing, fates and leves, etc)
    It's not great right now, but also not horrible. But it's also being completely changed with the expansion, so no one can really answer that for you right now. But this will give you a bit of insight into whether you may like it or not: https://gamerescape.com/2017/05/22/f...d-pvp-changes/

edit - So as to not double post, adding to this one.

Just got done with a Dun Scaith run earlier where we had a wipe on the first boss. However, it wasn't actually due to player error.

The boss used its knock back ability, the one where you brace yourself on the block of ice so as to not get blown off the ship. But it died immediately after using the knock back. This ended the encounter and the block of ice despawned, but we all still had the knock back effect and were promptly blown over the side. People were asking if anyone was streaming/recording it because it was such a freak thing.
    Last edited by Scufflegrit; 2017-05-24 at 05:16 AM.
    One day I was walking and I found this big log. Then I rolled the log over and underneath was a tiny little stick.
    And I was like, "That log had a child!"

Deleted
    What's the state of PvP in this game?
    At the moment PvP participation must be very low, because otherwise they wouldn't have done so radical changes in Stormblood. Nobody can say yet how the changes will affect.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Thorianrage View Post
    The experienced players that can play decently have big issues with the playerbase in FF14 because a large amount of veterans, and by that I mean just long standing players but also not very good at group content that refuse or unable to get better no matter what you try teach them are just well that, rubbish.
    Pretty much why I don't run ex primals with randoms.
    Most people I encounter horribly SUCK an this game and I'n not even setting high standards, because I am a far cry from any elite savage-clear player myself.

- - - Updated - - -

Both. I guess.

The battlefields basically feel like Alterac valley. All peeps just run to them crystals and hump them as hard as they can to get rubber points because rubber points win the game. Zerging a.k.a. actual PvPing is detrimental to winning.

As for the "Arena" thing: I wouldn't touch that crap with a 10 foot pole. Still traumatized from WoW Arena. But I haven't seen much interest in my guild barring the Garo sets/mounts.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Scufflegrit View Post
    The boss used its knock back ability, the one where you brace yourself on the block of ice so as to not get blown off the ship. But it died immediately after using the knock back. This ended the encounter and the block of ice despawned, but we all still had the knock back effect and were promptly blown over the side. People were asking if anyone was streaming/recording it because it was such a freak thing.
    Haha, this is pure gold.

10+ Year Old Account
    WTB method of preventing spells being cast in towns, or at least hearing them.
    10850k (10c 20t) @ all-core 5GHz @ 1.250v | EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra Gaming | 32GB DDR4 3200 | 1TB M.2 OS/Game SSD | 4TB 7200RPM Game HDD | 10TB 7200 RPM Storage HDD | ViewSonic XG2703-GS - 27" IPS 1440p 165Hz Native G-Sync | HP Reverb G2 VR Headset

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MrPaladinGuy View Post
    WTB method of preventing spells being cast in towns, or at least hearing them.
    Mute your game sound. Or mute the sound of others.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Granyala View Post
    Mute your game sound. Or mute the sound of others.
    I like the atmosphere of the towns, but it's ruined by the spell spam, so I usually afk in other areas when multitasking.

But at least 14 doesn't have randomly insane annoying NPC's making noise that you can't do anything about like a certain other MMO...

Quote Originally Posted by Veluren View Post
    Here's the issue, to put as politely as possible.

I have played on Balmung since coming to the game. I have an FC on Balmung, I have a big group of friends on Balmung, I have two characters, level 60 on all jobs between them, and I am an RPer.

On other servers, I have no characters, no other server is friendly to RPers, being neutral at best and abusive at worst to them. I will be without an FC, and as a person with people problems, would not want to look for one. I wouldn't have any of my accomplishments, or anything of the sort, and I would not transfer any of my mains especially now that I'm in a one way street.

This has created an enormous lose-lose as I'm now desperately trying to convince my friends, who were so excited to try out this game with me, to not quit before they even reach level 10, because it's such a bummer they can't play on the only RP server when they are also RPers, all over, this has created a shitty situation.

From a technical standpoint, I get it, server loads suck, queues suck, but dropping this on us with zero warning and basically leaving fledgeling RPers with no place to go and groups of friends with no way to meet?

I've never been so upset at the XIV team and a decision they've made.
    I feel for your personal situation; but in general I think it still is the better decision for now. Just hope that the new server/tranfer buffs and lowered restrictions help lower the density enough to open it back up. Your predicament is tough, because even if you chose to level a toon with them for the time being, for them to come to your home server means each of them coughing up $18 at some unknown point in the future, that may not happen.

I think it was always going to be a lose/lose in this; announce transfer lock in xx days, and might have pushed even more into jumping onto a move for access to the server.

What I think would be a great idea, would be opening an official RP server or two, with free transfers from any realm onto it, with no gil cap or other restrictions and give the other buffs/bonuses as well. It would possibly persuade enough, and jumpstart the new server with a range of new to experienced players. Balmung in particular is an unfortunate combination for this, with it having progression focus and being an RP haven. Maybe they could make data center interaction more fluid and convenient for social/RP situations; sort of like WoW cross realm.

Again, for you, and others like you, in a small picture viewpoint, I feel for those who are hurt by this; but in a big picture sense, it was a wise decision that only could've really satisfied you if you had knowledge at the perfect time for your situation.

I haven't been back too long, and I don't know much about all the systems in place now, but if they were on Aether, can you make it work somewhat? or is that only for instances alone? Maybe it could work until either another server rises up as RP, or Balmung is unlocked; and maybe they transfer or start anew? Hope they just give the game a chance and stick it out, as I feel it is worth it.
    My PC Build 4790k @ 4.7 GHz @ 1.28v; 1080 @ +175 core, +500 memory