Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Kathandira View Post
    I've lived with an owned pets since I was born. Many at a time. I've worked in vet clinics, and my g/f has been a vet tech for 10+ years. I still wouldn't have a problem with selling a dog for $100,000. Sure, i'd be sad to see them leave. But i'd get over it. Just like I get over any pet who passes away. But that is just me.
    Yes, I agree, but you asked what is the difference and it's just that - feelings.

In fact, I have a breeder in the family and I often helped with that too. I had a dog (and many other pets) as well. The difference between my dog and puppies bred for sale was just that - feelings. I was attached to my dog and not to the puppies. Feelings and the bond is what elevates the animal into friend.

Feelings cannot be bought. Would I sell my dog? Probably not. I could get a new dog, but it wouldn't be the same. Well, we're humans, not machines. We can't calculate the value of everything in $$.

Obviously, you can't have everything and sometimes you have to make a decision and give something up. Fortunatelly I don't have money problems so I think my dog would be more precious to me than monies.
    I have enough of EA ruining great franchises and studios, forcing DRM and Origin on their games, releasing incomplete games only to sell day-1 DLCs or spill dozens of DLCs, and then saying it, and microtransactions, is what players want, stopping players from giving EA games poor reviews, as well as deflecting complaints with cheap PR tricks.

I'm not going to buy any game by EA as long as they continue those practices.

Quote Originally Posted by Puupi View Post
    The amount of attachment is more important than the species. Many people are more attached to their pets than they are to any people.
    Yes, that's true. Some people are more attached to animals. They shouldn't be though. That's just unhealthy and kind of sad.

But I would disagree that the amount of attachment is more important. Despite your personal feelings, the life of your average human being is far more important than the life of any dog.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    Just means you're super practical over being super emotionally involved. Nothing really wrong with either.

I'm the overly emotionally involved, because I regard them the same as family.
    That is much more realistic.

I've seen the worst that animals can go through. I've had to hand feed sick babies, clean up after puppies with parvo. Help dig softball sized tumors out of the chest of a Boxer. I have tons of love and compassion for animals.

Currently, our senior bunny has to get her teeth shaved every 3 months so she can continue eating. That is a $300 doctors visit every 3 months for as long as we can keep her alive. (She is 10). We have two parakeets, and a 12 year old Hermit crab at the moment. We take care of our pets better than some parents that I know take care of their kids.

But if I have to weigh finances vs pets, finances will win in this case.

If money was no issue in my life, I wouldn't take the offer. But If I can clear out both my g/f's and my debts in 1 fell swoop, I would easily take this offer.

And likely take the remaining money to buy a new pets, and hook them up with the best damn living environment I could.
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

Quote Originally Posted by procne View Post
    Of course it is unique. Because it's mine. Because there are feelings attached to it. It's a family member. All my family members are unique to me, even if there are millions people like them.
    Yes, exactly. It's your personal feelings which create that uniqueness. It isn't so much the dog actually being unique. Although technically it is likely to be genetically unique. But I bet I could find you another dog that you could probably mistake for your own dog.

15+ Year Old Account
    Dog and cat owner here. I call it really stupid and irrational, not lovely.

15+ Year Old Account
    It's like selling a family member o.O Glad to see that not many would do it.

My gold making blog
    Your journey towards the gold cap!

You don't love dogs just like anyone else. You don't do, or even consider, such thing on someone you love. Be it an animal or a person.
    OK, fine. Maybe I don't love dogs as much as some people.

But I am empathetic enough to understand people's feelings towards their pet and why they would never sell their pet. It's just not the same decision I would make.

Yep - I'd sell my dog for $100k in a heartbeat, if I had one - because then I could afford to buy a house and ... have a dog.

Challenge Mode : Play WoW like my disability has me play:
    You will need two people, Brian MUST use the mouse for movement/looking and John MUST use the keyboard for casting, attacking, healing etc.
    Briand and John share the same goal, same intentions - but they can't talk to each other, however they can react to each other's in game activities.
    Now see how far Brian and John get in WoW.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Docturphil View Post
    Yes, that's true. Some people are more attached to animals. They shouldn't be though. That's just unhealthy and kind of sad.
    How is it unhealthy and sad?

But I would disagree that the amount of attachment is more important. Despite your personal feelings, the life of your average human being is far more important than the life of any dog.
    Far more important? To whom? To me? Nope.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

Quote Originally Posted by Dangg View Post
    Dog and cat owner here. I call it really stupid and irrational, not lovely.
    Not sure why - if you are struggling for money, $100k is a damn good price to get for an animal. If you value an animal's life over your kids or your own life... something screwy upstairs.

You will need two people, Brian MUST use the mouse for movement/looking and John MUST use the keyboard for casting, attacking, healing etc.
    Briand and John share the same goal, same intentions - but they can't talk to each other, however they can react to each other's in game activities.

Probably sell it for 100k. Even if i love it, i love my family much more, and 100k would be a great help.

Far more important? To whom? To me? Nope.
    To all sane human beings...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by telygroar View Post
    Probably sell it for 100k. Even if i love it, i love my family much more, and 100k would be a great help.
    See ^^ rational human response. It is a matter of scale, you can love your dog more than your car for example, but still love your family more than your dog.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by schwarzkopf View Post
    To all sane human beings...
    Why should I care about some random Marvin in Africa?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by schwarzkopf View Post
    See ^^ rational human response. It is a matter of scale, you can love your dog more than your car for example, but still love your family more than your dog.
    Not everyone loves their family more than their dog. Some people don't love their family at all.
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.

Quote Originally Posted by kasuke06 View Post
    because my dog is like my family, and only inhuman monsters sell family.
    If you consider your dog part of your family, fine. I understand.

But I would never place that much value on a dog. I would include my dog in family pictures. I would take my dog on vacations with me. I would pay for surgery to keep my dog alive (if they weren't already super old). But I would never consider a dog part of my family in the same way I would consider a blood born child of mine family.

You could knock off a zero and I'd still sell it. But I also don't own pets as a replacement for kids.

15+ Year Old Account
    How's that different from eg. a child?
    You're right it's just like a human child.

Except it can't communicate with you, it isn't your species, you didn't create it, it isn't your genetic successor, it isn't equal to a human by law, you can get a new one at a shop anytime, it has 1/8 of the life expectancy, it doesn't really 'love' you and acts on instinct.

But other than that it's exactly the same.

15+ Year Old Account
    But I would never consider a dog part of my family in the same way I would consider a blood born child of mine family.
    Me neither. But I would consider a dog as much family as an adopted child.

How is it unhealthy and sad?
    It's a pretty good indicator of loneliness and a disconnect from humanity in general.

Not saying it's a bad thing to love a pet. On the contrary, that's a wonderful thing. But I don't think it's a good thing when people place more value on an animal than a human.

Example:

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    If you consider your dog part of your family, fine. I understand.

But I would never place that much value on a dog. I would include my dog in family pictures. I would take my dog on vacations with me. I would pay for surgery to keep my dog alive (if they weren't already super old). But I would never consider a dog part of my family in the same way I would consider a blood born child of mine family.
    The dog's a better person than most of my family.
    O Flora, of the moon, of the dream. O Little ones, O fleeting will of the ancients. Let the hunter be safe. Let them find comfort. And let this dream, their captor, Foretell a pleasant awakening

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dangg View Post
    You're right it's just like a human child.
    Yes, I am.

Except it can't communicate with you,
    Dogs can communicate with you, in fact a lot more than a toddler.
    it isn't your species,
    True.
    you didn't create it, it isn't your genetic successor,
    So isn't an adopted child or my sister's child.
    it isn't equal to a human by law,
    True, but I don't let law dictate who and what I can love.
    it has 1/8 of the life expectancy,
    So do some people. Should you love a sick child less?
    it doesn't really 'love' you
    Dogs get very attached to their owners.
    and acts on instinct.
    So do humans.