Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by iNUKE View Post
    Sorry if you don't simply understand my first post I'm not gonna bother detailing it any further, I think everything I said is self explanatory and pretty easy to comprehend?

If you stay in vanilla you stay in vanilla that's it.. the patch you play is always the last one that blizzard made for that expansion.. so whatever items, content, quests were in the last vanilla patch.
    I think the point he means is this if I am not wrong:

1. If you have vanilla and stick with vanilla, thats fine - Version 1
    2. If you play vanilla, and then move to TBC - Version 2
    3. Do these interact? If so, how? They will have different talents (1-70 and 1-60 - they change constantly). If they do, then its broken right off the bat, if they don't, then pools of players are separated.
    4. If I want to roll straight into Legion, do I have to go through vanilla wow as it was? Or as it is now?
    5. If play up until WoTLK, stay there for 3 years, and then move to Cata, am I pooled with people playing through cata with the intent to Legion? Or MoP? Or WoD? They overhaul specs and talents almost every expansion. You could have 7 characters who are same race, class spec with the same gear and they are all radically different.

That will keep spiralling out of control, until the point that is raised by gushDH that you will have endless versions that are set up which become increasingly broken.

10+ Year Old Account
    a way where you can just hit up the caverns of time or whatever and play on a vanilla/tbc/wrath client would be cool. and when you're bored you go back to the caverns of time and jump to another client.

Elemental Lord Lady Dragonheart's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Amongst the Wilds, or in my Garrison... >.>
    An absolutely horrible idea, it's hilarious how many Vanilla-dreamers don't understand the time, resources, money, and upkeep that re-implementing Vanilla WoW would cost.
    I am both the Lady of Dusk, Vheliana Nightwing & Dark Priestess of Lust, Loreleî Legace!
    ~~ ~~
    <3 ~ I am also the ever-enticing leader of <The Coven of Dusk Desires> on Moon Guard!

There was no legacy server that survived 1 year without losing more than a half of the population. Implementing them is just money waste.

I swear some of you never actually played in Vanilla. Nothing was harder it just took exceptionally longer. A majority of the classes had a single functioning spec. Paladins, Druids, Shaman, Priests - All you did was heal. Warriors tanked and maybe DPSed in BG's. It was tedious to accomplish anything.

This idea in the thread wouldn't work. What version of Vanilla do you want? Vanilla 1.0? 1.1? 1.3? 1.5? Remember that there were so many patches back then to fix bugs / issues / and add "features". There was a patch to add weather to the game. Yes, weather. It was added in a content patch.

And if you want a true Vanilla experience you need to have 8 hours of downtime for every single patch that comes out, extended lengths of disconnects on raid night, major server instability. Only then will you have a true vanilla experience.

if blizzard did legacy servers we wouldnt have gravestones named Ray D. tier or brawler bosses named the same we would have gravestones named Expan S. ion and brawler bosse the same.

Sorry if you don't simply understand my first post I'm not gonna bother detailing it any further, I think everything I said is self explanatory and pretty easy to comprehend?

If you stay in vanilla you stay in vanilla that's it.. the patch you play is always the last one that blizzard made for that expansion.. so whatever items, content, quests were in the last vanilla patch.
    no, no,no....we understand it all, its just stupid. Sorry that isnt easy for you to comprehend.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    wE doN't kNoW wHaT pLaYeRs WaNt FoR cHarAcTeR CrEaTiOn MoDeLs

Deleted
    Seems a colossal waste of money

Quote Originally Posted by Rorcanna View Post
    My idea is even better; Don't waste resources and time pandering to people mentally stuck in 2004 when the game could be moving forward.

You people have your private servers to cirklejerk on about how "so much better!!!" the experience is...
    When the game starts losing more and more subscribers I can see Blizzard releasing legacy servers. You are strongly underestimating the amount of people who would play official vanilla servers. Take for example Runescape, it's a similiar situation where a lot of people quit because they hated the "new" game, and a lot of people begged/petitioned for old school servers. Jagex decided to actually release the old school servers, and guess what? Those servers are now more active than the new game. There are a handful of people who like WoW and want to play it, but hate the current iteration of it, so they would play old school servers.
    Last edited by aisatsana; 2017-05-24 at 02:53 PM.

7+ Year Old Account
    this would be a colossal waste of money and time.

no thanks.

Formerly known as Arafal

Wow. It's like you took an idea that someone had years ago and regurgitated it. A stupid idea at that. I'm sure Blizzard would love spending the money required to re code every expansion, have them all set up to interact with each other, just to get the people who will play an xpac for a month or two and get bored like every private server over the years. It's even more of a good idea because the same people who play private servers and get bored are now paying every month instead of playing for free like they did before. Simply stunning. Great idea.

- - - Updated - - -

Blizzard could sell legacy accounts which would be the ones you login into storyline mode.

Different wow account than the regular wow, you would only need to download the missing content if you want to play on your legacy account.

Blizzard could also drop subscription cost if you just play on your legacy accounthe that would incentivate lots of people to play it. Like $9 a month +$35 for the legacy expac in US .. or $20 a month if you want both wow versions, or just the normal $15 if you only want the normal wow.

Blizzard could also allow people to transfer your character from storyline to the normal server once you reach max level and if you have the last expansion and it's subbed.. because many people grow an attachment to the character so I know many would love to continue the progress into the current expansion.

This mode would allow people to experience older content exactly the way it used to be and the story progressed, its not only for those who wanna play older expansions but also for those who want to progress as the story and wow evolved.
    Yeah, how about Blizzard spends the money getting every xpac back in working order and the money to keep them running and staffed and charge the people playing 5 xpacs instead of one less money.

Why don't they just save their time and throw their money in a shredder instead?
    Quote Originally Posted by Kekekz View Post
    Everyone hated BC, everyone hated Wrath, everyone hated Cata and everyone will hate MoP. MoP will become the new worst expansion and Al'akir or BoT will become the new "last good raid" or something stupid like that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelliak View Post
    You're now blocked. Told you I was done with you. You want to pick fights over minute details as if this is the fucking presidential debate on a gaming forum.
    Enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by aisatsana View Post
    When the game starts losing more and more subscribers I can see Blizzard releasing legacy servers. You are strongly underestimating the amount of people who would play official vanilla servers. Take for example Runescape, it's a similiar situation where a lot of people quit because they hated the "new" game, and a lot of people begged/petitioned for old school servers. Jagex decided to actually release the old school servers, and guess what? Those servers are now more active than the new game. There are a handful of people who like WoW and want to play it, but hate the current iteration of it, so they would play old school servers.
    Take the amount of players currently playing for free on private servers. Then add a sub fee to the equation.

No, I don't underestimate. The only reason for why the Legacy crap gained traction, was because we were in the objectively worst expansion to date in terms of content available at the time.

You're saying "when" as if it's a surefire thing, when this game has been "dead" and "dying" for 13 years and still pulls 10 million with a new expansion... My guess is that when the day comes that this game has so few subscribers that it'd enter "maintenance mode", it wouldn't be financially viable to start up servers with previous iterations of the game.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Dequanacus View Post
    Wow. It's like you took an idea that someone had years ago and regurgitated it. A stupid idea at that. I'm sure Blizzard would love spending the money required to re code every expansion, have them all set up to interact with each other, just to get the people who will play an xpac for a month or two and get bored like every private server over the years. It's even more of a good idea because the same people who play private servers and get bored are now paying every month instead of playing for free like they did before. Simply stunning. Great idea.

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah, how about Blizzard spends the money getting every xpac back in working order and the money to keep them running and staffed and charge the people playing 5 xpacs instead of one less money.

Why don't they just save their time and throw their money in a shredder instead?
    Haha, you hit the nail on the head!

I also had this idea for a long time, but then came to the conclusion that dividing the playerbase into 6 instead of 2 is even worse than the original idea for vanilla servers.

Blizzard would have to undo all the changes made to the zones affected by the Cataclysm (quests and landscape), close off the Cata expansion zones (i.e Uldum, Mt. Hyjal), reimplement old server rules (i.e pvp flagging, dishonorable kills, etc) & old stats (hit, def rating, armor penetration, healing power v spell power, spirit) on old gear, move Naxx back to the eastern plaguelands and undo all changes made during wotlk, and so on and so on. Same with Zul'Grub and Zul'Aman.

You're asking for quite alot. And yes you'll have a ton of players coming back for the first few months and then they'll disappear once they get their nostalgia fix.

7+ Year Old Account
    here is this issue.
    level through vanilla, then suddenly once you choose BC your talents and everything completly change
    level through bc, change to wrath, again talents completly change aswell as your spells
    bc to wrath now you get less talents, and skills change even more
    mop, items change, talents completly change, and skills change a fuck ton
    wod again massive talent changes and skill changes and item changes
    legion another huge change to your whole class and spec

dont you think it would be so fucking annoying changing every few levels

also this will split the communit over 7 versions of the game, you think it is hard to find a molten core group or black temple then? imagine with the community split 7 ways

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Corydon View Post
    Wrong. EverQuest is doing that same shit (kind of) and people totally are enjoying it.
    all 52 of them

- - - Updated - - -

no, i will link you the recent thread i was in about "adding 5$ to sub fee so people can play legacy servers"

and even there, there is lots of peope saying "why the fuck would i pay to play blizzards shitty legacy servers with fucking CRZ and LFG when i can play a private server free, they are sure to fuck it up, and even if they dont, why pay when i can play it for free"

also people who play runescape allready are willing to play a horrible game so they are willing to go back... the game also has not had complete overhauls of fundemental systems, just additions and a removal here and there. you look at runescape old and new and it is hard to tell the difference in alot of places

btw dont try to claim (you never played)
    in my group of friends i was the collectawhore
    99 fishing
    99 cooking
    99 mining
    99 blacksmithing
    i played all the way until they had a "double exp weekend" where the market crashed, stuff became super cheap, i bought a bunch of amazing gear, then a mass wave of accounts got hacked (mine included) and i had never given out my account info

and btw, unlike blizz, you get hacked, they say "tough luck" because fuck jagex
    Last edited by FelPlague; 2017-05-24 at 04:02 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by WowIsDead64 View Post
    Remove combat, Mobs, PvP, and Difficult Content

Quote Originally Posted by Corydon View Post
    Wrong. EverQuest is doing that same shit (kind of) and people totally are enjoying it.
    And people are totally enjoying vanilla pirated servers as well. Doesn't mean it will be succesful, I actually doubt it would work on live servers.
    Quote Originally Posted by atenime45 View Post
    The 10% reward. It's was unspoken rule that you DONT attack other faction so everyone could enjoy the 10% reward. But now no one cares about that anymore

Quote Originally Posted by Rorcanna View Post
    Take the amount of players currently playing for free on private servers. Then add a sub fee to the equation.

No, I don't underestimate. The only reason for why the Legacy crap gained traction, was because we were in the objectively worst expansion to date in terms of content available at the time.

You're saying "when" as if it's a surefire thing, when this game has been "dead" and "dying" for 13 years and still pulls 10 million with a new expansion... My guess is that when the day comes that this game has so few subscribers that it'd enter "maintenance mode", it wouldn't be financially viable to start up servers with previous iterations of the game.

Why do people think private servers are the same thing as an official legacy server? Many people would play vanilla but don't want it on a private server. If blizzard actually releases an official version, which is stable, easy to download, not "underground", streamable on twitch, etc. then it would attract a lot more people than private ones. Many people want to play legacy servers but don't want it on a private server. Lots of people don't want to invest time into something that isn't official, that could be shutdown at any moment, etc. As for the sub fee, I don't think that's as big of a problem as you think, people would gladly pay 15$ a month, as they did back in the day. That is certainly debatable, but 15$ isn't that much for most of these people who want legacy servers.

Quote Originally Posted by FelPlague View Post
    here is this issue.

no, i will link you the recent thread i was in about "adding 5$ to sub fee so people can play legacy servers"

and even there, there is lots of peope saying "why the fuck would i pay to play blizzards shitty legacy servers with fucking CRZ and LFG when i can play a private server free, they are sure to fuck it up, and even if they dont, why pay when i can play it for free"

also people who play runescape allready are willing to play a horrible game so they are willing to go back... the game also has not had complete overhauls of fundemental systems, just additions and a removal here and there. you look at runescape old and new and it is hard to tell the difference in alot of places

btw dont try to claim (you never played)
    in my group of friends i was the collectawhore
    99 fishing
    99 cooking
    99 mining
    99 blacksmithing
    i played all the way until they had a "double exp weekend" where the market crashed, stuff became super cheap, i bought a bunch of amazing gear, then a mass wave of accounts got hacked (mine included) and i had never given out my account info

and btw, unlike blizz, you get hacked, they say "tough luck" because fuck jagex
    You can't compare a private server (cheap product, can be shutdown at any time, can't be streamed on twitch, glitches, too many servers instead of 1 game) to an OFFICIAL vanilla server. Some people want to play vanilla but not on these servers. You can't just say "well they will just go on private servers for free xD!!". Official servers are much more attractive. Why would anyone be demanding blizz for this, by your logic they would just play private severs. Even people who are playing private servers right now would pay for a legit legacy server.

"You never played" lmao okay man, I never played RS if you say so. Let me assume something about you too: you're an idiot.

Why do people think private servers are the same thing as an official legacy server? Many people would play vanilla but don't want it on a private server. If blizzard actually releases an official version, which is stable, easy to download, not "underground", streamable on twitch, etc. then it would attract a lot more people than private ones. Many people want to play legacy servers but don't want it on a private server. Lots of people don't want to invest time into something that isn't official, that could be shutdown at any moment, etc. As for the sub fee, I don't think that's as big of a problem as you think, people would gladly pay 15$ a month, as they did back in the day. That is certainly debatable, but 15$ isn't that much for most of these people who want legacy servers.
    Yeah, they'll pay for two months before growing bored and quitting because they have no reason to pay $15 a month. Good infrastructure is great and all that but it doesn't mean shit when people grow bored and nothing new is being added. Just like every single fad private server for the past 10 years, people join, hit 60, dick around for a bit, and time spent playing drops. Eventually the server dies and a new one picks up a while later. Are you telling me that people are willing to pay $15 a month after hitting 60 just for better infrastructure?

I mean for fuck's sake these threads have been going for years and every time someone says "But Blizz servers will be really cool!" they get asked "why would people continue to pay money for a legacy server past a month or two", the thread dies, and a day later it repeats. This has been happening for years. It's stupid. The people who think official legacy servers are stupid. How many years are these threads going to be made when an argument is never actually reached in favor of legacy servers? What the fuck is wrong with you people.
    Last edited by Dequanacus; 2017-05-24 at 05:41 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kekekz View Post
    Everyone hated BC, everyone hated Wrath, everyone hated Cata and everyone will hate MoP. MoP will become the new worst expansion and Al'akir or BoT will become the new "last good raid" or something stupid like that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelliak View Post
    You're now blocked. Told you I was done with you. You want to pick fights over minute details as if this is the fucking presidential debate on a gaming forum.
    Enjoy.

Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Blizzard is already doing timewalking from different expansions for that Nostalgic feel, and in the next patch we'll have a Timewalking raid. If you want your nostalgia, get it there or go find some pirated server.
    I knew someone that would preach daily about a vanilla server, he finally found one. After about a month guess where he is? Playing Legion. Not on his private server.
    TLDR; Private servers are a dumb idea, stop clinging onto the past.

I am struggling to see how you can call that "best" in any context.

Look at the experience of a levelling player, which would be jarring enough for an experienced one, let alone a new one which you seem to think this is suitable for.
    Every transition you are changing your class mechanics, your abilities, and even your access to items such as heirlooms.
    If you were to apply the gear rules strictly, then heirlooms would have their effects neutered by not being available for a huge portion of their range.
    What about pets, mounts, toys - the collections would need to be unavailable until the expansion they were released, and so you would have to not only buy the riding skill, but then duplicate mounts unnecessarily.
    Plus a whole load of other issues.

I have seen many ideas paraded around as being good.
    This is up there with the worst of them.

As much I don't support the idea, even legacy servers are a better idea than this by a long way.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    Your forgot to include the part where we blame casuals for everything because blizzard is catering to casuals when casuals got jack squat for new content the entire expansion, like new dungeons and scenarios.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reinaerd View Post
    T'is good to see there are still people valiantly putting the "Ass" in assumption.