How to upgrade Weapon???

Returning to game after about a year and trying to catch up my itemlevel for story quests. Yet, I cannot find where to go to upgrade my Almandal (SMN) from 210. I have the "Soul without Life" quest, but it's asking me to do things that, according to google, I should have already done, rewarding a 170 version.

10+ Year Old Account
    Purchase 10 tokens of Lore from one of the Tomestone vendors (the middle one) in Idyllshire and do A8 (Brute Justice) 4(?) times to be able to purchase the weapon token from the left vendor and then trade them all in to the vendor at right for a 230 weapon, which can be further upgraded to 240 by completing the three Alliance raids in this expansion (Void Arc, Mhachi and Dun Scaith).

- - - Updated - - -

Might be 7 kills in order to acquire said weapon token as it was so during the launch at that patch, no idea if it has been nerfed to 4.

"Soul Without Life" quest gives you the starting weapon for the Anima (this expansion's Relic) which can be further upgraded to a maximum of a 275 weapon. Would take months to do this, though, so it's far better acquiring the 230 weapon from 10x Lore token (100 Tomestones of Lore each) and 4 or 7 kills of A8.

- - - Updated - - -

Just a random question, did you happen to post on the reddit site for FFXIV as well? Because of the wording, it seems I have to conclude with that.

Quote Originally Posted by Sesshomaru View Post
    Purchase 10 tokens of Lore from one of the Tomestone vendors (the middle one) in Idyllshire and do A8 (Brute Justice) 4(?) times to be able to purchase the weapon token from the left vendor and then trade them all in to the vendor at right for a 230 weapon, which can be further upgraded to 240 by completing the three Alliance raids in this expansion (Void Arc, Mhachi and Dun Scaith).

- - - Updated - - -

Might be 7 kills in order to acquire said weapon token as it was so during the launch at that patch, no idea if it has been nerfed to 4.

"Soul Without Life" quest gives you the starting weapon for the Anima (this expansion's Relic) which can be further upgraded to a maximum of a 275 weapon. Would take months to do this, though, so it's far better acquiring the 230 weapon from 10x Lore token (100 Tomestones of Lore each) and 4 or 7 kills of A8.

- - - Updated - - -

Just a random question, did you happen to post on the reddit site for FFXIV as well? Because of the wording, it seems I have to conclude with that.
    Yes, I did there as well, because I wasn't sure which would answer first, if at all. I've been posting on a lot of dead subreddits, lately, not that I'd expect FFXIV subreddit to be dead. I read a thing linked in there, and it said to get 5x aether oil... which is 5 weeks if I don't wanna spend a ton of tomestones.

So which NPC in what city do I get the 10 lore token weapon from?

10+ Year Old Account
    Just run Palace of the Dead a few times for a quick 235 weapon, will take a bit longer to get the higher one.
    10850k (10c 20t) @ all-core 5GHz @ 1.250v | EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra Gaming | 32GB DDR4 3200 | 1TB M.2 OS/Game SSD | 4TB 7200RPM Game HDD | 10TB 7200 RPM Storage HDD | ViewSonic XG2703-GS - 27" IPS 1440p 165Hz Native G-Sync | HP Reverb G2 VR Headset

I hit 214 itemlevel tonight. Catching up at a decent pace. Was 197 when I got back a few nights ago.

10+ Year Old Account
    Just to split it up a bit:

Quote Originally Posted by Dastreus View Post
    Yes, I did there as well, because I wasn't sure which would answer first, if at all. I've been posting on a lot of dead subreddits, lately, not that I'd expect FFXIV subreddit to be dead. I read a thing linked in there, and it said to get 5x aether oil... which is 5 weeks if I don't wanna spend a ton of tomestones.
    So which NPC in what city do I get the 10 lore token weapon from?
    The city in question is Idyllshire and the three NPCs which deal in these equipments and weapons are located in Rowena's building (roughly a tiny bit NW of the middle), with the following vendors :

Sabina (Left vendor) sells High-Capacity Tomestone for 4x Midan Gear (4 A8 (Brute Justice) kills)
    Hismena (Middle vendor) sells armor and Rowena's Token (Lore) which you need 10x of. 1000 Tomestones of Lore in total.
    Bertana (Right vendor) sells the vendors for 1 High-Capacity Tomestone and 10x Rowena's Token (Lore) PER weapon.

More info can be found on a wiki page about Tomestones of Lore.

- - - Updated - - -

Considering I am at work typing (sitting on a very old computer), I cannot manually edit the post so I'll continue hereon.

The Aether Oil is for a later step during the Anima questline, which would take you a few months to do in a relaxing tempo for a single Anima weapon. No need to do the Anima questline unless you want to continue on being a SMN in Stormblood and want a Bahamut-ish grimoire to cast spells from.

Thanks. Handy info.

Returning to game after about a year and trying to catch up my itemlevel for story quests. Yet, I cannot find where to go to upgrade my Almandal (SMN) from 210. I have the "Soul without Life" quest, but it's asking me to do things that, according to google, I should have already done, rewarding a 170 version.
    Here's a link to a site that gives a good overview on the Anima weapon upgrade path and the tasks/ items needed to get through each phase.

https://ffxiv.consolegameswiki.com/wiki/Anima_Weapons

I think I know where your confusion comes from.

Almandal does not get "upgraded".

Almandal IS the upgraded version of the Antiquated Almandal (ilvl 200) which used to be purchased with tomestones and was moved to the Centurio Seal vendor in the Forgotten Night tavern in Ishgard.

The anima quest weapon for Summoner starts out as 170. You are on this stage and must get the 170 weapon before you can proceed. The confusion stems from the 170 weapon being named Animated Almandal.

Completing Soul Without Life as a summoner will award the Animated Almandal which leads to the next quest called Toughening Up.

Completing Toughening Up as a summoner will award the Almandal Awoken weapon which is ilvl 200 and opens the next quest called Coming Into Its Own.

Completing Coming Into Its Own as a summoner will award the Draconomicon weapon which is ilvl 210 (the same as your current weapon).

You confusion stems from the similar names of your former tomestone weapon and the initial stages of the anima weapon. In short you never started the anima quest prior to your break and the weapon you have currently has nothing to do with the quest. You'll have to do the lower ilvl stages of the quest before you can get something higher than ilvl 210.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyriani View Post
    I think I know where your confusion comes from.

Almandal does not get "upgraded".

Almandal IS the upgraded version of the Antiquated Almandal (ilvl 200) which used to be purchased with tomestones and was moved to the Centurio Seal vendor in the Forgotten Night tavern in Ishgard.

The anima quest weapon for Summoner starts out as 170. You are on this stage and must get the 170 weapon before you can proceed. The confusion stems from the 170 weapon being named Animated Almandal.

Completing Soul Without Life as a summoner will award the Animated Almandal which leads to the next quest called Toughening Up.

Completing Toughening Up as a summoner will award the Almandal Awoken weapon which is ilvl 200 and opens the next quest called Coming Into Its Own.

Completing Coming Into Its Own as a summoner will award the Draconomicon weapon which is ilvl 210 (the same as your current weapon).

You confusion stems from the similar names of your former tomestone weapon and the initial stages of the anima weapon. In short you never started the anima quest prior to your break and the weapon you have currently has nothing to do with the quest. You'll have to do the lower ilvl stages of the quest before you can get something higher than ilvl 210.
    Think I've seen this same level of confusion a couple of times across various forums.
    @Dastreus:

Fastest ways to get a decent new weapon currently would be through Palace of the Dead or pvp (both 235). You could also opt to purchase the 250 crafted book (which for SMN has crit and spell speed, so it's great for it's ilvl)...those weapons "shouldn't" be terribly expensive anymore, but your mileage may vary.

I just learned of the palace of the dead yesterday.

15+ Year Old Account
    You can buy HQ weapons of decent ilvl off the Market Board. Not hugely expensive either, for... 255 I think?
    (This signature was removed for violation of the Avatar & Signature Guidelines)

Quote Originally Posted by Nikkaszal View Post
    You can buy HQ weapons of decent ilvl off the Market Board. Not hugely expensive either, for... 255 I think?
    Close! The crafted weapons are ilvl 250. Whether they're cheap or not on one's server is another story.

Quote Originally Posted by Kazela View Post
    Close! The crafted weapons are ilvl 250. Whether they're cheap or not on one's server is another story.
    Cheap is relative. On Excalibur they're going for ~2 million, up to ~7 million if they're melded or if it's a particularly in demand weapon.

IMO, at this point getting one HQ is pointless with SB around the corner. I got a NQ BLM staff for about 250k and it did the job just fine. If you're really serious about getting a great weapon, PotD to get the i255 Kinna weapon is the easiest route for starters, while farming tomes/items for the i260 weapon to then upgrade to i270 or if you feel really adventurous you can push through the Anima quest for the i275 weapon.

Quote Originally Posted by Katchii View Post
    Cheap is relative. On Excalibur they're going for ~2 million, up to ~7 million if they're melded or if it's a particularly in demand weapon.

IMO, at this point getting one HQ is pointless with SB around the corner. I got a NQ BLM staff for about 250k and it did the job just fine. If you're really serious about getting a great weapon, PotD to get the i255 Kinna weapon is the easiest route for starters, while farming tomes/items for the i260 weapon to then upgrade to i270 or if you feel really adventurous you can push through the Anima quest for the i275 weapon.
    I haven't priced those out recently; last I checked (which was several months ago), they hovered around the 1-1.2 million mark...that's Balmung for you.

Regarding the other alternative weapon means, I would not recommend pursuing an anima weapon at this point, outside the purpose of ending up with a nice glamour. Best thing to aim for at this point would probably be an upgraded shire weapon, which would still take 2 weeks minimum if one does not have 100 or more scripture stowed away.

15+ Year Old Account

Really? Holy shit

The HQ 250 weapons were going for 400-500k on Atomos when I got my MCH to 60 two months ago o.O
    (This signature was removed for violation of the Avatar & Signature Guidelines)

Quote Originally Posted by Nikkaszal View Post
    Really? Holy shit

The HQ 250 weapons were going for 400-500k on Atomos when I got my MCH to 60 two months ago o.O
    Excalibur is a legacy server so it has more money in general. Everything is pretty expensive, but that also means if you use the MB at all to sell stuff you'll also have more money.

10+ Year Old Account
    you can do palace of the dead for 255 kinna weapons (requires 90 aetherpool weapon/armor strength) Padjali costs 30, Kinna costs 60
    as stated you can last boss of second alexander raid 4 times for 100% acquisition rate of gears to trade in for a tomestone you can trade with 1000 lore for a 230 weapon

for 260 weapon its the same as above but last boss of final alexander raid and scripture instead of lore. weekly limit is no longer in place for gears but you may not have enough scripture to get it since you can only get 900/week
    Last edited by Gandrake; 2017-05-27 at 01:59 AM.

Excalibur is a legacy server so it has more money in general. Everything is pretty expensive, but that also means if you use the MB at all to sell stuff you'll also have more money.
    That is rather odd, and I dare say hilarious, in a way. I checked MB on Mateus a couple of days ago and the HQ 250 crafted weapons are cheaper there than what you're observing on Excal...Mateus being one of the lower population servers on the entire game, you'd think they would be astronomically expensive.

Those HQ weapons on Balmung run 400-500k now (checked the same day I checked Mateus).

Quote Originally Posted by Kazela View Post
    That is rather odd, and I dare say hilarious, in a way. I checked MB on Mateus a couple of days ago and the HQ 250 crafted weapons are cheaper there than what you're observing on Excal...Mateus being one of the lower population servers on the entire game, you'd think they would be astronomically expensive.

Those HQ weapons on Balmung run 400-500k now (checked the same day I checked Mateus).
    Well, while the laws of supply and demand do somewhat apply (as well as they can apply to an entirely player run economy who may or may not understand pricing.... /eyeroll) you still have to take into consideration the actual amount of money that's available.

Depending on the server, asking for 2 million for a weapon when most people don't have that much would be like Dr Evil in Austin Powers asking for 100 billion dollars back in the 60's... you'd get laughed at because that amount of money, while it exists, is so astronomically out of the price range of most players it may as well not exist.

To put it in perspective, I have a little over 4 million gil on my main, which isn't that much, that's pretty paltry when compared against some items on the MB that go for 10+ million. Even small houses cost ~30 million, crystals range anywhere from 70-140 each, glass fibers are ~7k last I checked, Grade IV materia go for ~10-20k while Grade V materia go for ~150k+.