Poll: I think the

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    I'd lean more towards the mom.
    Simply because when you're applying to colleges you don't apply to 8 schools you don't want to go to.
    You apply to your top 8 schools you want to go to.

So he should have already gotten into the school he wanted to.
    IF by some means the one school he didn't get into was the one he wanted most, he still has his next 7 choices in-front of him.

There's really no point to applying to more after that except to stroke your ego that I can think of.

1. Kid wants to apply to more, kid can pay.
    2. If you have a limited budget, you apply to your top X schools.
    3. Assuming #2, you got accepted into 7 of the 8...
    4. Fuck off.
    Quote Originally Posted by THE Bigzoman View Post
    Meant Wetback. That's what the guy from Home Depot called it anyway.
    ==================================
    If you say pls because it is shorter than please,
    I'll say no because it is shorter than yes.
    ==================================

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by GarlicGuy View Post
    How, exactly, does it change his acting like a spoiled brat?
    Well that part doesn't, but this part does:

"I ask my mom why she didn't let me apply to UCSD, and she kept telling me it was because we "didn't have enough money" to apply to more schools, before telling me that it wasn't the money after all; it was that she wanted to keep me at home and that she did not trust me to live on my own in college.

I don't say a word at first, but inside I fume (and still am) at her for sabotaging my college application process and my future.

But then I get more angry at myself for letting my mom influence my school choices in the first place, and for being such a pushover."
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

Fact: if your parents are paying, they get to call some shots on what they're paying for. Don't like it, get a job and pay for your own shit, as many others in the thread have stated. It's not like we're talking about a middle school kid here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    Nah nah, see... I live by one simple creed: You might catch more flies with honey, but to catch honeys you gotta be fly.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by oplawlz View Post
    Fact: if your parents are paying, they get to call some shots on what they're paying for. Don't like it, get a job and pay for your own shit, as many others in the thread have stated. It's not like we're talking about a middle school kid here.
    Well sure, but purposely limiting your child's choices not based on finances, but on "mah feeelings. I dont want you to gooooo" is really rather idiotic and can directly impact your child's academic future. Which makes the parents selfish as all hell.

(based on Garlic's updated post)

It's the Mom's money. The kid should stop being an ungrateful little shit. If he wants to pay for his own application fees and schooling then he has the freedom to do so.

This is why my future kids will pay for their own college. They need to learn to appreciate their education. I might consider pitching in after the first semester if they can show me that they are getting good grades and if they can show me that they have major chosen and a vision for their career path after college.

There is no right or wrong only thinking makes it so.

10+ Year Old Account
    He's lucky his mother payed for anything at all, impudent shit.
    You're getting exactly what you deserve.

Deleted
    Dear kids,

moms are always right. Listen to them.

Greetings,
    grand dad

Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    Well sure, but purposely limiting your child's choices not based on finances, but on "mah feeelings. I dont want you to gooooo" is really rather idiotic and can directly impact your child's academic future. Which makes the parents selfish as all hell.

(based on Garlic's updated post)
    But we're not talking about an actual child here. If the parents said they'd only pay for applying to colleges which had names starting with "D" the kid should still be grateful that they are willing to pay for said applications. Certainly making an angst thread on reddit is out of the acceptable reaction category.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    Nah nah, see... I live by one simple creed: You might catch more flies with honey, but to catch honeys you gotta be fly.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by oplawlz View Post
    But we're not talking about an actual child here. If the parents said they'd only pay for applying to colleges which had names starting with "D" the kid should still be grateful that they are willing to pay for said applications. Certainly making an angst thread on reddit is out of the acceptable reaction category.
    EH, I still think its acceptable. Its keeping in touch with your peers to share mutual misery. aka a coping mechanism. If the mom didnt wanna be embarassed, dont pull stupid shit.

A parent isnt automatically right by sheer virtue of being a parent. They can be just as idiotic as a kid. Not to mention, I thought helicopter parenting was what produced the coddled kids we complain about anyways, why would you wanna side with that?

Thats not to say the kid is entitled to the parents money. He isnt. Just that the mother was equally as much a shithead. If he wanted to apply to others, he should have done it anyways and find a way around his parents to pay for it.

The one who charges for a fucking application is wrong.

Having to pay to apply to a school is stupid on its face regardless.

I get the whole mom instincts thing, but what's the point of accumulating resources if they're not spent when it really matters?

The kid's acceptance rate is spectacular. Since he's such a good candidate, I say let him choose the college that suits him best.

Quote Originally Posted by Puupi View Post
    It stops kids who have no money to apply even if they had a chance otherwise.
    If they don't have 50 bucks to apply they don't have 150k+ to actually go to the school.

But, if the parent wants you close to home and won't pay for anything else then it probably means they don't think you would do well on your own yet and it would be a waste of an investment when you fail out somewhere far away.
    Last edited by GreenJesus; 2017-05-24 at 07:06 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mariovsgoku View Post
    If they don't have 50 bucks to apply they don't have 150k+ to actually go to the school.
    You have scholarships and stuff for that.

I don't think you have scholarships for applications?
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.

Quote Originally Posted by Puupi View Post
    You have scholarships and stuff for that.

I don't think you have scholarships for applications?
    If you need a scholarship for 50 bucks then you have a bigger problem here... Harvard only accepts the top of the top so I can't imagine many actually getting a full ride scholarship.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mariovsgoku View Post
    If you need a scholarship for 50 bucks then you have a bigger problem here...
    25% of accepted applicants to Harvard get their application fee waived, because they are so poor.

Kid can apply to as many schools as he/she can afford. Can't afford any? Well then you will be applying to the ones your parents approve.
    READ and be less Ignorant.

Honestly not sure what the problem is.

Applications cost money, no sense in spending a shitload of extra money to apply to a bunch of schools you're not even planning to attend. If he didn't want to attend those schools why would he apply to them? When I applied, I applied to the schools I wanted to go to and knew I had a chance to get into so when I got accepted by any of them I was happy and not out multiple hundreds of dollars.

The mother was completely within her right to do what she did, but if the kid really wanted to go to schools outside or her ideal area, that's a conversation that should have been had prior to this whole incident.

Ultimately he sounds like a spoiled brat rich kid who's crying just because he didn't get what he wanted. Boo fucking hoo.