Page 6 of 18 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by yurano View Post
    Please don't misrepresent what I said, maybe you should go back and read more carefully.
    At this point i think you should clarify what you meant since that was basically what i think you were saying as well.
    "It doesn't matter if you believe me or not but common sense doesn't really work here. You're mad, I'm mad. We're all MAD here."

Please don't misrepresent what I said, maybe you should go back and read more carefully.
    No, I insist, help me understand. I come from an area where white Christians were the enslaved underclass, but I magically became the great oppressor when I touched foot in America.

I felt my ego swell as my white male privilege grew unchecked! I dared to eat the foods not designed for me!

Oh, how I have transgressed! Show me the way, effendi!

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Assbandit View Post
    What rubbish. People have been sharing recipes and refining them over the ages for generations and across cultures. This isn't some sacred religious food either, it's a bloody burrito. Having others put their on unique spin on a recipe should be applauded, not clutch your pearls over due to some misguided sense of a victim-complex in which everyone not White can wallow in.
    You sound like you didn't actually read the article.

The crux of the matter is cultural theft. There was no unique spin applied to the recipe in this case. That's the point.

Why is everyone trying to justify the actions of the owners, by adding falsehoods.

Quote Originally Posted by Saucexorzski View Post
    At this point i think you should clarify what you meant since that was basically what i think you were saying as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by atsawin26 View Post
    No, I insist, help me understand. I come from an area where white Christians were the enslaved underclass, but I magically became the great oppressor when I touched foot in America.

I felt my ego swell as my white male privilege grew unchecked! I dared to eat the foods not designed for me!

Oh, how I have transgressed! Show me the way, effendi!
    Cultural Appropriation in this case has to do with theft of intellectual property.

Tell me, how does eating another culture's food prepared by them constitute theft of intellectual property?

Another classic white response to white fragility: straw man fallacy.

Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    I take it you don't realize that the idea you might have white privilege in the US, but not have it in another place where the social hierarchy is different is completely consistent with the idea of what privilege is and how it works.
    It's really fucking stupid to bundle whites together like that. But hey. Who am I to bust on racism?

I take it you don't realize that the idea you might have white privilege in the US, but not have it in another place where the social hierarchy is different is completely consistent with the idea of what privilege is and how it works.
    Although, there are very few places on the planet where white privilege doesn't exist.

Quote Originally Posted by Dextroden View Post
    It's really fucking stupid to bundle whites together like that. But hey. Who am I to bust on racism?
    But thats how white people act in the US! White or other.

Did you know, Italians and Irish, while considered white today, were not considered white a few decades ago?

Did you know, even further back in history, Japanese and Chinese were considered honorary whites, because they were technologically advanced and good enough to trade with. But now, they're considered second class citizens in the US.

Even today, while most non-whites would consider Eastern Europeans to be white (based on looks), they are not considered white by Europeans! On the other hand, folks of Eastern European descent who have assimilated to US culture (eg accent) are considered white because they look white!

Amazing how the definition of "white" changes over time, to suit the needs of the ruling class!
    Last edited by yurano; 2017-05-25 at 08:01 AM.

Although, there are very few places on the planet where white privilege doesn't exist.

But thats how white people act in the US! White or other.

Did you know, Italians and Irish, while considered white today, were not considered white a few decades ago?

Did you know, even further back in history, Japanese and Chinese were considered honorary whites, because they were technologically advanced and good enough to trade with. But now, they're considered second class citizens in the US.

Amazing how the definition of "white" changes over time, to suit the needs of the ruling class!
    Yes. Now people that were in the lower class are now defined as privileged by the new lower class.

Just like every cultural appropriation thread, I will look for the negative effects of this event, and will not find any.
    Quote Originally Posted by True Anarch View Post
    Never claimed I was a genuis.
    Quote Originally Posted by Furitrix View Post
    I don't give a fuck if cops act shitty towards people, never have.

But now, they're considered second class citizens in the US.
    Got some statistics that Asians have it as bad as blacks/latinos? If not your claim is spurious at best.

And no, not all white people think and act alike in the US. I got fuck-all to do with a WASP, a Brit, or someone who's French.

You sound like you didn't actually read the article.

The crux of the matter is cultural theft. There was no unique spin applied to the recipe in this case. That's the point.

Why is everyone trying to justify the actions of the owners, by adding falsehoods.

Cultural Appropriation in this case has to do with theft of intellectual property.

Tell me, how does eating another culture's food prepared by them constitute theft of intellectual property?
    I never made the claim it was theft, i think its perfectly fine to do so as sharing foods from other cultures tend to increase appreciation for that cultural. Food is a great unifier for humanity.
    "It doesn't matter if you believe me or not but common sense doesn't really work here. You're mad, I'm mad. We're all MAD here."

I'm going to start rolling up pizzas and I'm going to call it Italian Burritos.

I'm also going to put pineapple in them, just to make sure everyone is thoroughly outraged.

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

Just an fyi, if any of you ever eat or make a Greek gyro, you are the opposite of Batman. You're, like, Nazi pedophiles!

Got some statistics that Asians have it as bad as blacks/latinos? If not your claim is spurious at best.

And no, not all white people think and act alike in the US. I got fuck-all to do with a WASP, a Brit, or someone who's French.
    Sorry, bromingo. You now have to wear sweater vests and play tennis.

Oh no...do I have to change my name to Chad?

These SJW losers apparently don't get how the United States works. The majority of what we consider culture is appropriated. We take something or part of something from immigrants and make it our own. Those dumb asses need to look up "melting pot" and then find something real to fight for.

Yes. Now people that were in the lower class are now defined as privileged by the new lower class.
    Privilege is obtained from others who are privileged. Its a gentleman's agreement between privileged parties to consider each other "normal" and everyone else "other". It is not "classification" that only exists to be assigned by those of a lower class.

Clearly, you have a lack of understanding of privilege.

Quote Originally Posted by belfpala View Post

I'm also going to put pineapple in them, just to make sure everyone is thoroughly outraged.
    No theft, NO PROBLEM!

By the way, this is your own creation, and thus is not cultural appropriation!

See how this works?

Second class means worse than first class, not "worst" class. With first class being white.

If you buy into the Asian model minority stereotype (eg better than whites), boy do I have deal for you!
    Last edited by yurano; 2017-05-25 at 08:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by belfpala View Post

Honest question. Do you do pineapple alone? Pineapple alone makes no sense to me. It needs to support a meat or vegetable.

7+ Year Old Account
    Only if he's French.

I bet it was just a case of too many burrito joints and they couldn't compete. If "cultural appropriation" was involved it certainly is not the main reason.

And Portland is like the Sweden of America, it's a very left wing place.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Privilege is obtained from others who are privileged. Its a gentleman's agreement between privileged parties to consider each other "normal" and everyone else "other". It is not "classification" that only exists to be assigned by those of a lower class.

Clearly, you have a lack of understanding of privilege.

- - - Updated - - -

No theft, NO PROBLEM!

By the way, this is your own creation, and thus is not cultural appropriation!

See how this works?
    No, I do. I make sure to remind homeless white people their life is better and easier than mine.

Don't try to explain privilege to him. He's not interested in learning. He cannot be corrected. He will parrot the same mistaken conception of it over and over and over and over no matter how many times you tell him otherwise.
    Stop flaunting your intellectual privilege Nixx, you need to check yourself.