Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Okay, so I created a poison generator build on D3 planner, copied the link... And it was Coldkil's build. No idea what went wrong, but something sure did!

Either way, it refused to simulate the damage and a few of the key legendaries haven't been updated yet, but I think it'll work.

Will it be totally 100% clearing Grift 100 solo viable? Probably not.

Do I care? Not even a little .

It'll be enough to play until I get bored and move on to something else. I'll probably make a more cookie cutter build with my next seasonal Necro, but for now I want to make the slightly odd build that first came to mind when I saw the Inarius set.
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

I updated the build again. I feel worth to loose 15% AS from Frozen Scythe to get 50% more DR from the decrpify belt and use the Cursed Scythe (i'm using the 100% curse item so why not) freeing a skill slot and filling it up with the Cold dmg corpse explosion. Worth noting that the Scythe rune can apply all three curses on a single enemy with multiple attacks and i will be spamming that.

This way i make use of corpses (which would have been left untouched) and i can freeze many more enemies, so APD bracers suddendly become worth using. Still a cold damage build, most damage will be done by pets+CE (pets especially so i'll stick with enforcer). All skills i'm using are being fixed/buffed - i expect the build to be working, with nice AoE, all the curses, Command skeletons for ST and Archers that melts stuff around.

Were will it bring me? I don't really know. Honestly i don't really know if i'm buying the necro until i know the price tag. But making builds is fun.
    Non ti fidar di me se il cuor ti manca.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Coldkil View Post
    Were will it bring me? I don't really know. Honestly i don't really know if i'm buying the necro until i know the price tag. But making builds is fun.
    Indeed. I often have more fun planning out the build I'm going to use for the next season than I do playing the game... I don't just mean in Diablo either. I think there's something wrong with me.

Also: Looking at some of the Necro specific legs, I think a LoN build could be a lot of fun.

Anyway, I took a second shot at it: Here's My New Build!

Don't forget, the Cursed Scythe will be updated to increase damage to cursed targets by 200%.

Not sure if it's worth subbing out Depth Diggers for the Golem trousers, it'd be a hit to my Scythe damage, but a large increase to my Damage reduction... However, between 75% DR from Bone Armour and 100% uptime on Decrepify, not sure I'll need it.

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.

Quote Originally Posted by Gallahadd View Post
    Indeed. I often have more fun planning out the build I'm going to use for the next season than I do playing the game... I don't just mean in Diablo either. I think there's something wrong with me.
    I don't think so. I feel exactly the same - i hype for new season, thinking about what build to try, and get bored after less than two weeks and i'm currently even not playing to finish the journey (but this has a lot to do with the "master set dungeon" part which i hate with a passion - i should just make a barb or anything that has a piss easy one just to get past that).

That's why i'm unsure. All seasons till now have been just more of the same. But now we're talking about money.

EDIT: took a look at your build. You won't be able to keep 100% uptime of F/R because of Bone Armor CD - you'd need to stack 50% CDR for that; the Bone armor amulet is pretty lackluster imho because it totals only 25% DR while the decrepify belt is a straight 50% + APD and Decepify itself should be enough (makes me wonder if i really need that Unity). Better hunt for EW.

Other stuff: i feel that the cure runes are just as good as they get - if you have Cursed Scythe you won't need any slotted curse, especially with the Trang'oul one. Spreading Malediction is a crap passive imho. You both need the "forever cursed" one and the spreading leech to make it count, and against RG is a 1% dmg increase - lame. Just ditch that and take Rigor Mortis + Krysbin’s Sentence and enjoy your free 100% more dmg since everything you use now slows enemies (plus triple the bonus each time you cast BA and stun people). Also since you want to go EW, you can use both that and CoE for even more damage.

Last one, the Shard of Hate. Honestly, i'd REALLY like to see it work someway, but until the proc stays like that, it sucks. You can use a standard Furnace because it's always good (the same feeling i have for Rimeheart, if they only fixed the damn proc to be a reliable one like MH).

Honestly though, since you're not using Aquila, i see no reason to not use more Poison spenders. You can cube the "each poison skill you use stacks more dmg" 2h scythe and take out the curses for things like Death Nova or Corpse Explosion/Lance, to make use of the resources you have. Again, more free damage just for spamming random skills that goes into your Generator.

This comes out good especially because the phylactery has a very specific wording: bonus damage comes from Essence regenerated. I may be wrong, but i'm pretty sure that if you're Essence capped, bonus becomes zero. Since all phylacteries imho kinda suck excluding the Command Skeletons one (a 30% BotS on command skeletons? come on) i think you can just run with a 2H for major badassness and cube the Trang'Oul.

Sorry for long post (that's how much i like building characters).
    Last edited by Coldkil; 2017-05-24 at 02:54 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    That's why i'm unsure. All seasons till now have been just more of the same. But now we're talking about money.
    Yeah, I'm really hyped for the build and I want to try it out... But if it's more than about £20 I'm really going to think about it, because I usually only play for a few weeks at the start of each season.

Yeah, I'm really hyped for the build and I want to try it out... But if it's more than about £20 I'm really going to think about it, because I usually only play for a few weeks at the start of each season.
    Agree. Edited post above looking at your spec.

10+ Year Old Account
    EDIT: took a look at your build.
    Thanks for the feedback!

1: Yeah, I realised about the uptime shortly after posting this... I think swapping to Endless Walk to free up a ring slot is a better idea, especially with your later points.

2: The only reason I was slotting the curses, was because of the runes with them. I figured the damage on explosion would be quite good for clearing out large packs. My reasoning behind Spreading Maladiction was with Scythe applying curses on every hit, it's esentially 1% damage per target hit. However, since I'd need to have 100 enemies cursed at the same time for it to equal the damage from Rigor Mortis + Kysbins... Yeah, that seems like a FAR better way to go, especially with the Bone Armour rune I'm using. I didn't see the buff to that beauty in the last patch!

3: Yeah, not sure why Shard of Hate is there... It's a fun weapon in theory, but it just doesn't work well in practice. It COULD, if Blizz tweaked it a bit, but for now? No. I think your point about swapping to a beefy 2h and cubing Trang's is a far better plan. More murder with every swing!

As for the wording on Leger's I don't think it needs to ACTUALLY generate Essence to grant the bonus: Note Depth Diggers text says "Your skills which generate resourse deal more damage" but it still grants the bonus if you're capped out. It doesn't really matter now... but still, I think it works just like Depth Diggers, they just worded it REALLY badly.

Anyhoo, took your advice on board and this is my new build

Quote Originally Posted by zito View Post
    Actually people move to different projects all the time within blizzard so yes it's highly likely and blizzard is a company, they are always hiring. A job posting for diablo doesn't mean OMFG D4 NEXT XPANSION BLIZZCON GUYS it's been half a decade get over it people
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but hadn't it been quite a few years since D2 came out before D3 did? It doesn't hurt to hope they will announce something new for a game you enjoy.

Been trying my Curse Bone Armor build. This is the current iteration:
    https://ptr.d3planner.com/769865316
    (The legendary passives haven't been updated, the damage ring is now +100% damage on slowed enemies with any attack, +300% on enemies with other CCs)

Unity and Nems would be an the new +DR per % missing health ring and Ancient Parthan's in a group.

I was able to clear a 60 with it. Not sure how much better then other people are doing with their sets but it's fun.

Basically, Nova spam small mobs down and use them for corpse lancing big mobs. The amount of single target damage it can do lining up 20 stacks of corpse lance buff with Land of the Dead and a Convention of Elements is silly.

Biggest problem is that the 4 set still needs to be changed because it only gets 1 stack (and 5% DR) per 10s on Rift Guardians.

Pet build is better, was able to easily clear a 60 with it. I like the new Weapon/Shield 2p actually being useful, too bad that rune for undead army got shoved on a helmet that will never get used.

Still have no idea what to do to make the blood set work. I should look up someone elses builds.

Haven't done the Spear set yet, because it doesn't interest me much. Maybe I should look into it because of the Corpse Lance spam 2p though. That 4p still looks awful though.

Necros really need a class bracer or two and a defensive phylactery. You pretty much just wear Nems as a necro because there's not much else, and the off hands are pretty much pet build near-mandatory cube fodder, a questionable blood phylactery, an underwhelming grim scythe phylactery, and a MS increaser. Alternatively for off- hand, let me dual wield scythes instead.

As for the wording on Leger's I don't think it needs to ACTUALLY generate Essence to grant the bonus: Note Depth Diggers text says "Your skills which generate resourse deal more damage" but it still grants the bonus if you're capped out. It doesn't really matter now... but still, I think it works just like Depth Diggers, they just worded it REALLY badly.
    Well, you can just test it out. If ledger works ar DD, then 1h+oh should be better. If not, use the 2h. I really hope you're right anyway (that would really make the difference in terms of damage since scythe generates 12 essence per target hit = 120% more damage per target hit which is pretty insane).

also Y U NO BotT? drop Toxin immediately please

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Sergar View Post
    -snip-
    Some of the stuff i have already pointed out in THIS POST above. though not having the beta i cannot really test it and thus it's just napkin math and speculations.

First of all i agree that some slots are basically empty for necro. Some others have so much choice that i'm willing to try a lot of things (and this is good).

However i think the major fault in the build is the focus on multiple different stuff and actually no focus on synergies. Want to use corspe lance? Why not taking the poison one that ricochets - you have lots of stuns in the build but DR hit pretty hard hence spamming them will just make monsters immune to them faster.
    Also BA amulet is pretty bad - the decrepify belt gives you double the DR for an otherwise unused slot letting you wearing EW and cube Unity of desired. Spreading Malediction is bad, and Eternal Torment isn't really needed since you spam the generator with 100% chance to curse.

A question for you: how does Scythe of the Cycle work? Does every hit from a skill reduce duration on bone armor by 4 seconds? Or just the cast? It seems pretty harsh judging by numbers.

Other notes: 4pc bonus explicitly states that stacks of BA are refreshed by subsequent casts. So if you fight a RG even starting with 0 stacks you should be able to get back to 10 stacks over time. Imho what happens is that your secondary skill spam drains your BA way too fast (due to cubed weapon) and you're actually dropping it mid fight (thus restarting with the stacks). It's either that or a bug.

EDIT: it seems d3planner now has the updated legendary effects.
    Last edited by Coldkil; 2017-05-25 at 07:39 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, you can just test it out. If ledger works ar DD, then 1h+oh should be better. If not, use the 2h. I really hope you're right anyway (that would really make the difference in terms of damage since scythe generates 12 essence per target hit = 120% more damage per target hit which is pretty insane).

also Y U NO BotT? drop Toxin immediately please
    Indeed, IF Leger's works like DD, I think that will make 1h take the lead, but we'll have to get someone with Beta access to test before we know... I kinda wonder why it's not been tested yet really...

As for Toxin... I was wondering if the bonus damage from toxin, plus the 10% increase to ALL damage, combined with the 40% damage boost to poison would be more than Trapped.

Sadly, I can't test because d3planner is still borked :'(

7+ Year Old Account
    Also REALLY worth noting, due to the Microtransaction model of PoE, I wouldn't be surprised if they made FAR more on a month by month basis than the Diablo team did...
    i stopped having intrest in PoE when my friend who fucking loves the game showed me the 50$ throne you put in your room that you cant even fucking sit on...
    and i was one of the people who paid to get into the alpha, and really i think it was something like 10,000$ to get the diamond kiwi pet
    oh sorry ,it has been awhile i was confused
    the diamond kiwi was 1000$ with 5 beta keys, a soundtrack, a custom forum avatar, a title on the forums, name in credits, a unique item, a map post, a dvd sountrack cd, tshirt, and the phsyical items signed.... and 10,000 points... that sounds totally worth 1000$

but here is the biggest thing you could buy for the game
    Last edited by FelPlague; 2017-05-25 at 12:19 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Varodoc View Post
    My ideas are objectively good

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeash... And the worst part is, a lot of people probably picked that up...

Yeash... And the worst part is, a lot of people probably picked that up...
    Define "worst". I mean, everyone values his money differently - now i won't ever in life spend that kind of money on a game (hell how im supposed to make that kind of money to spend on a game), but PoE simply put that there and waited for people buying it. It's not like "purchase this or the game sucks" or "blatant p2w stuff".

Microtx strategy always involves whales to pay far more than everyone else while the majority spend just a little or even zero money. To me it just looks a win-win situation - GGG gets loads of money and player can have what he wants and leave an actual imprint on the game. All player designed items are string but not broken and most of the times allow for different playstyles rather than make your character 100x stronger.

Back on your build: i thinnk he legendary 2h scythe buffs poisons skills and not poison damage, so Toxin won't get buffed by it. On the other hand, BotT is a flat % increase in damage. There's a reason why any build but support ones use it (even more than Stricken, which is required only for 80+ due to GR hp pool; before that BotP is better usually).

10+ Year Old Account
    Back on your build: i thinnk he legendary 2h scythe buffs poisons skills and not poison damage.
    Oh, that's disappointing... Trapped it is! REALLY wish they could get D3planner working, so I can start getting some real numbers on this build... It's all well and good to say what we THINK will work better, but until I see real numbers, it's fairly pointless to plan stuff like this.

Oh, that's disappointing... Trapped it is! REALLY wish they could get D3planner working, so I can start getting some real numbers on this build... It's all well and good to say what we THINK will work better, but until I see real numbers, it's fairly pointless to plan stuff like this.
    Yeah - i'd like to see some numbers. Though, if i buy necro, i know what i'm going to play at least at the beginning.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah - i'd like to see some numbers. Though, if i buy necro, i know what i'm going to play at least at the beginning.
    Same. This isn't a question of what I play it's a question of fine tuning it.

I'm assuming you're playing Frozen Saint?

Some of the stuff i have already pointed out in THIS POST above. though not having the beta i cannot really test it and thus it's just napkin math and speculations.

First of all i agree that some slots are basically empty for necro. Some others have so much choice that i'm willing to try a lot of things (and this is good).

However i think the major fault in the build is the focus on multiple different stuff and actually no focus on synergies. Want to use corspe lance? Why not taking the poison one that ricochets - you have lots of stuns in the build but DR hit pretty hard hence spamming them will just make monsters immune to them faster.
    I have a strong suspicion that DR really doesn't matter for it when they are on the same skill. It's hard to say for sure though and I haven't done enough testing or anything.

Also BA amulet is pretty bad - the decrepify belt gives you double the DR for an otherwise unused slot letting you wearing EW and cube Unity of desired.
    Endless Walk makes more sense for a ranged then it does a melee. You don't have Illusionary Boots and you're surrounded by mobs. Any juking you do is going to be every 5s with a Blood Rush, otherwise you have to soak it, and that set is basically 0% DR when a melee actually needs it. Meanwhile, as long as you line up your corpse usage/massive nova spam with CoE you probably do as much or more damage, and even if you hit buttons randomly CoE is still 66% damage on a ring because Necros only have 3 elements.

Spreading Malediction is bad, and Eternal Torment isn't really needed since you spam the generator with 100% chance to curse.
    Spreading Malediction IS bad, but the only other +damage passives that are relevant are Swift Harvesting (which seems wildly unnecessary, scythe does low damage and fills essence very fast) and Blood is Power (which, I'm unclear whether the 100% life is life spent or damage taken, if it's spent it's worthless because it'd take me 20 blood rushes and if it's damage taken it's basically up to 20% CDR for Land of the Dead and sometimes Bone Armor and Blood Rush and therefore pretty good).

I more had on Eternal Torment as a relic the last build where decreptify had to be on the specific mob for the belt to work. But I seem to recall that curses fell off way sooner then you'd think given their tooltip's 30s duration. Might have just been a bug though.
    A question for you: how does Scythe of the Cycle work? Does every hit from a skill reduce duration on bone armor by 4 seconds? Or just the cast? It seems pretty harsh judging by numbers.
    I'm thinking about it, and it seems like if would have to be on cast- I can easily spam nova on 10+ mobs and and not take off 40s+ off the minute duration every cast.
    Other notes: 4pc bonus explicitly states that stacks of BA are refreshed by subsequent casts. So if you fight a RG even starting with 0 stacks you should be able to get back to 10 stacks over time. Imho what happens is that your secondary skill spam drains your BA way too fast (due to cubed weapon) and you're actually dropping it mid fight (thus restarting with the stacks). It's either that or a bug.
    I know. Basically, the problem is that if you ever die on a RG you will then respawn and be one shot by the raid guardian in your melee necromancer set. Spawning a single target RG and then needing 100 (or 150s) to get to full survivability is stupid. Most of the sets people actually play don't have much (if any) ramp up time on their survivability 4 set for that very reason. It's the reason why even after the buffs pet doctor's play Helltooth and not Zunimassa's, although all WDs still have most of the same problem on single target RGs because they need Lakumba's for survivability.

The bone spear set will have basically the same problem if it goes to live as is, the pet set is maybe fine (your 7 skeles can fill up the 50 stacks in the duration of command skeleton, but you only have 1 skele + 1 more every 2 seconds when respawning, although pets can tank and body block RGs so it's hard to say). I won't make any statement's whatsoever about blood's 4 set because I can't even figure out a build for it, but it seemed to fill up pretty fast anyway.

Same. This isn't a question of what I play it's a question of fine tuning it.

I'm assuming you're playing Frozen Saint?
    Yes. Would really like to use the Cold rune of Scythe, but autocurse with all the benefits related (less damage taken, hp regen and frailty) is way too strong to pass over. Anyway most of the damage is still cold damage.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Sergar View Post
    -snip-
    Well, everything's reasonable. I suppose we will really need to try stuff out.

I think it's great you enjoy theory crafting. I personally don't care for it. Give me a handful of different yet viable builds and I will select one I like and roll with it. Keep up the good work.
    Given the state of the ptr is there any estimates on a possible release date?