Page 1 of 2
LastLast

SSD brand suggestions?

Was going to buy a decently-sized SSD for storing games, and since I've had good experiences with my Samsung 840 EVO, I was planning to get an 850 EVO.

Are there better brands, though? From all that I've been told, people always say that Samsung and Intel make the best / most reliable SSDs.

The one I'm looking at is a 500gb one for $170 ($200 with a -$30 promo code)

Went with a Crucial MX300.
    Last edited by anon5123; 2017-05-26 at 11:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by anon5123 View Post
    Was going to buy a decently-sized SSD for storing games, and since I've had good experiences with my Samsung 840 EVO, I was planning to get an 850 EVO.

Are there better brands, though? From all that I've been told, people always say that Samsung and Intel make the best / most reliable SSDs.

Do you live near a microcenter? They have the 500gb evo in store for 149.99.

Quote Originally Posted by Fascinate View Post
    Do you live near a microcenter? They have the 500gb evo in store for 149.99.
    Nope, closest Micro Center is almost two hours away.

At this point the only 2 answers are Samsung or Intel

15+ Year Old Account

In terms of what's the most reliable (in order of appearance):

Intel - Business class SSDs .. prices match this description.
    Crucial - Ever since the C300 series to the MX-series to date, they are without question the most reliable consumer SSDs.
    Samsung - Barring firmware teething and some really wonky issues at times they are generally reliable, the 840 series not counted, not a very successful line in reliability.
    Phison based SSDs / Intel - Consumer class SSDs
    Last of the SandForce generation consumer class SSDs.
    Kingston V300.

These are the rankings in general, there's not much difference between Crucial and Samsung but in my, anecdotal, experience that barring the 830 series the others have had some weird issues and failures where the Crucial drives are almost bloody immortal.
    They aren't the fastest drives but they don't need to be.

My recommendation:
    I would prefer a Crucial MX300 series but if you want a Samsung one that's fine too, not too much difference.
    The Phison based SSDs aren't too bad either but I prefer to stick to the proven ones.

I've had no issues at all with 4 Samsung drives.
    2 Crucial drives on the other hand, both had issues with stability when at higher levels of used storage. Then after a while they developed the same issues at all levels of storage.

Quote Originally Posted by Evildeffy View Post
    Samsung - Barring firmware teething and some really wonky issues at times they are generally reliable, the 840 series not counted, not a very successful line in reliability.
    It has a controller microcode problem, which is long fixed, I wonder why people keep giving it so much shit. Generally agree with the list except for V300: the only Kingston SSDs that can earn a nod for more are HyperX Savage, but those are expensive.
    R5 5600X | Thermalright Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme | MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600/CL16 | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X | Corsair RM650x | Cooler Master HAF X | Logitech G400s | DREVO Excalibur 84 | Kingston HyperX Cloud II | BenQ XL2411T + LG 24MK430H-B

15+ Year Old Account
    The only SSD that hasn't broken down on my machine is an OCZ and it's 6(? I think) years old. I've had Samsung and Crucial go boom.

So this just my anecdotal experience. OCZ's are known to be pieces of shit, but my OCZ has been better than other SSD's.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

OCZ trion is probably the best "value" right now (all ssd's are terrible value honestly), i also have a really old OCZ agility 3 that still works, for whatever thats worth.

In terms of what's the most reliable (in order of appearance):

Intel - Business class SSDs .. prices match this description.
    Crucial - Ever since the C300 series to the MX-series to date, they are without question the most reliable consumer SSDs.
    Phison based SSDs / Intel - Consumer class SSDs
    Last of the SandForce generation consumer class SSDs.
    Kingston V300.

These are the rankings in general, there's not much difference between Crucial and Samsung but in my, anecdotal, experience that barring the 830 series the others have had some weird issues and failures where the Crucial drives are almost bloody immortal.
    They aren't the fastest drives but they don't need to be.

My recommendation:
    I would prefer a Crucial MX300 series but if you want a Samsung one that's fine too, not too much difference.
    The Phison based SSDs aren't too bad either but I prefer to stick to the proven ones.
    I too have had 0 issues with my 840 EVO, but if you say Crucial is really better, I'd be willing to try it out.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...82E16820156151

A good bit cheaper than the 850 EVO, as well.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Puupi View Post
    The only SSD that hasn't broken down on my machine is an OCZ and it's 6(? I think) years old. I've had Samsung and Crucial go boom.

So this just my anecdotal experience. OCZ's are known to be pieces of shit, but my OCZ has been better than other SSD's.
    Yeah, my first SSD was an OCZ and it fried itself after just 1 month. They replaced it for free (minus shipping costs...) and the replacement has been fine, but I still would avoid them, myself.

15+ Year Old Account
    I too have had 0 issues with my 840 EVO, but if you say Crucial is really better, I'd be willing to try it out.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...82E16820156151

A good bit cheaper than the 850 EVO, as well.
    I didn't state it was really better, I stated that from reliability numbers the Crucial drives simply last longer without issues.
    In general it's still a "wash" between most of them but I, personally, prefer the Crucial MX drives f.ex. over the Samsung series now.

Yeah, my first SSD was an OCZ and it fried itself after just 1 month. They replaced it for free (minus shipping costs...) and the replacement has been fine, but I still would avoid them, myself.
    People in general gave too much shit on OCZ when they didn't understand that most of it was not their fault.
    Sure they could've handled things better but if the OCZ devs weren't there the SandForce issues would still plague people to this day.

No brand that hosted the SandForce controller was immune to issues, including Intel.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Thunderball View Post
    It has a controller microcode problem, which is long fixed, I wonder why people keep giving it so much shit. Generally agree with the list except for V300: the only Kingston SSDs that can earn a nod for more are HyperX Savage, but those are expensive.
    The Kingston V300 was meant to be something along the lines of:

Everything Else
    Kingston V300

It pretty much means it's on my shitlist of "DON'T EVER BUY".

OCZ was bought by Toshiba and the Trion 150 already improved alot.

I didn't state it was really better, I stated that from reliability numbers the Crucial drives simply last longer without issues.
    In general it's still a "wash" between most of them but I, personally, prefer the Crucial MX drives f.ex. over the Samsung series now.
    Eh, whatever. I looked at the specs, and the Crucial drive is just slightly slower than the Samsung one, while being much cheaper, so I went ahead and ordered it.

The Kingston V300 was meant to be something along the lines of:

Everything Else
    Kingston V300

It pretty much means it's on my shitlist of "DON'T EVER BUY".
    They have a lot of shit like that though, and V300 is not even the worst of it.
    R5 5600X | Thermalright Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme | MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600/CL16 | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X | Corsair RM650x | Cooler Master HAF X | Logitech G400s | DREVO Excalibur 84 | Kingston HyperX Cloud II | BenQ XL2411T + LG 24MK430H-B

Well, so far the new SSD is working out great! Installed with no issues, copied WoW over to it...those horrendous 30-45 second load times are now down to 10-15 second load times. /reload only takes like 4 seconds. Good shit.

Also solved an issue I was having with large image folders; no more slow load times when opening the folder for the first time each day. Delicious.

Went with a Crucial MX300.
    Good choice... Crucial makes the best DDR3/DDR4 memory sticks and I'm pretty sure that they make the best SSD's as well.
    "Every country has the government it deserves."
    Joseph de Maistre (1753 – 1821)

Quote Originally Posted by Amalaric View Post
    Good choice... Crucial makes the best DDR3/DDR4 memory sticks and I'm pretty sure that they make the best SSD's as well.
    Yeah, memory is likely going to be my next upgrade, seeing as I've got 8GB right now, and routinely sit around 5-7gb usage...would like to bump my memory up to 16gb just to be sure that I don't have programs fighting for ram.

Yeah, memory is likely going to be my next upgrade, seeing as I've got 8GB right now, and routinely sit around 5-7gb usage...would like to bump my memory up to 16gb just to be sure that I don't have programs fighting for ram.
    I went crazy and upgraded from 16GB to 32GB some years ago.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Amalaric View Post
    I went crazy and upgraded from 16GB to 32GB some years ago.
    Yes you did.
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

Yes you did.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnzHtm1jhL4