Page 14 of 18 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by noidentity View Post
    I'm just Happy Chinese food was invented in America.
    But the Chinese stole fortune cookies from the Japanese when we locked them all up during WWII. No, really....
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

Herald of the Titans DocSavageFan's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    When I go to BBQ competitions I'll sometimes "peek" at what other contestants are doing...so I'm damn glad I don't live in Portland...no fn way I could handle the stench of mental depravity permeating that insane city.
    "Never get on the bad side of small minded people who have a little power." - Evelyn (Gifted)

1) Sow. 2) Reap.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    Like most things, ONLY white folk can be guilty of it.

Film industry in India is mostly people of Indian descent? Ok.

Film industry in Japan is mostly Japanese people? Ok.

Film industry in the US is mostly white people? REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!
    Those two counties are a lot more ethnically homogeneous than the US. Doesn't make for a very good comparison.

Quote Originally Posted by Kujako View Post
    But the Chinese stole fortune cookies from the Japanese when we locked them all up during WWII. No, really....
    It's ok, i'm fine with not receiving a random saying from a word generator.

Quote Originally Posted by Kupsy View Post
    Is an American grill or steakhouse in Mexico City committing 'cultural appropriation'?
    If they take out an add in the papers saying "we snuck into the best steakhouse kitchens in Texas to steal the secrets of a perfectly grilled American steak after they refused to share their techniques with us willingly" I think some people would be rightly upset.

Quote Originally Posted by draynay View Post
    Those two counties are a lot more ethnically homogeneous than the US. Doesn't make for a very good comparison.
    Which I've learned is terrible and indicative of racism apparently.
    Quote Originally Posted by True Anarch View Post
    Never claimed I was a genuis.
    Quote Originally Posted by Furitrix View Post
    I don't give a fuck if cops act shitty towards people, never have.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    The "more lenient" interpretation is just bending over backwards to excuse them, assuming they did what they claim. They said stupid shit. It's their own fault. Who cares?
    Excuse? yawn.
    I'm just not invested enough in their business to consider crafting an excuse. I'm also not invested enough in outrage culture to consider "supposedly stolen knowledge" as a serious offense.

Considering that in my response I'm suggesting that yours (people simply didn't like something) could be just another excessively lenient interpretation, I recommend investing in a mirror.

But yes, "who cares" is an apt description of my general stance, which I'm encapsulating in that "people are still unsurprisingly stupid and easily caught up in irrelevancy."
    Last edited by mmoc003aca7d8e; 2017-05-25 at 06:25 PM.

7+ Year Old Account
    "Cultural appropriation" is an inherently garbage term as no person or group of people own a "culture".

Warchief
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by yurano View Post
    Pretty sure the outrage was about how they were trained to a high level by those less fortunate, likely due to misrepresentation. eg they thought they were teaching an at home cook, as opposed to a business enterprise.

Been reading about cultural appropriation. There are many aspects of it, but the definition that fits this scenario is: a dominant group taking advantage of a weaker group's culture (usu oppressed) for personal gain.

Secret or patent, doesn't make it any less intellectual property. You're confusing what's legal with whats right (aka moral).

ITT: White people who don't know the definition of cultural appropriation, crying about something they don't understand. Yes, the top hits on Google are confusing, esp the ones written by black people hating on whites. I recommend Googling "eli5 cultural appropriation". The Reddit comments written by more level headed people make more sense. Also worth a read "eli5 white fragility".
    So, I read some of the "white fragility" stuff you spoke about. I think a lot of the stuff is fairly accurate about how a lot of people tend to post stuff that derails conversation. What i found misleading about a lot of it was that it, in and of itself, describes sheltering ones "exposure" to dialogue as something only white people do. While this is certainly a trend in conversations between blacks and whites, you can not deny that other cultures and races do the exact same thing. Saying "oh but only white people have white privileged" in an attempt to distract from dialogue on other cultures being "fragile" also is, in and of itself, exactly what theyre describing as "white fragility".

Lets look at some examples, I challenge people to investigate how anyone from outside of China, is treated in China, its not very good. Would you say, that in an attempt to keep their status quo, that they are "fragile Chinese people"? They are absolutely the dominating "race" in that part of the world, and absolutely have "Chinese privileged" in China, so would this example not be exactly the same?

Another example, if you were to, lets say, travel to Afghanistan, Iraq, Syria, or a plethora of central African countries, and decided "hey! i think i am going to practice whatever religion i want" or say "hey! im gay, and want to practice my desired life style here!" that everything going to be okay? Do the people who are in control of that country not have the privileged of being the majority? They absolutely do, in fact simply being white in most of those areas pretty much marks you for death (I've been to a couple of them, trust me, you're not welcome to travel there). How many cheese burger shops do you think there are in Syria? im going to say not a lot, because people don't want it, people in the US want burritos, and good ones at that.

What I'm saying is its an extremely complex issue, and the "cultural majority" will always have a dominating presence where they are, because they're the majority.... Im not saying that its "right" or that its the way it must be, but generally, businesses and services will want to appease their customer base, making what the majority wants, the dominating theme of 99.999999999% of places.

So what do we do to combat this? there really isn't anything you can do, no ones going to invest in something that's not going to work, that's why most niche shops are privately owned. Also, say that another cultures ideas are super popular, like Mexican food in the US, people are always going to try and fill the desire of people. Where there is a demand, there will always be a supply, fact of life. If the Mexican restaurant isn't owned by people of a Latino decent? whelp, who gives a shit! I'm not entirely sure what would be constituted as a "white person food" so ill say "turkey sandwiches and mayo" since that's a nice stereotypical choice (yes i like mayo, its tasty). I in fact, have a black friend who owns a mother fucking sandwich shop he opened, does he eat this shit at home? not a fucking chance, whenever i hangout with him or go to his BBQs you know what we eat? BBQ chicken, burgers, pulled pork, corn, beans, grits... so would it not be cultural appropriation that hes trying to commercialize off white peoples tastes in food? I dont think so, because hes making a successful living off an idea he decided to pursue. Also, one of the things in one of the "white fragility" articles said how hard it is for black people to get loans, shit made me laugh, im an assistant private banker at my firm (i work directly for the loan underwriter) and the only things we look at are first, credit score, second, current income, and lastly, payment history as of the last couple of years. Race literally has no implication of giving someone a loan and us earning interest off it, laughable.

So whats my point here? do i think im not racist? im sure some SJW could follow me for a few days and find something i do racist, is it on purpose? probably not, thats just how people are. I grew up in probably the shittiest part of my state, and was maybe 1 of 10 white families when i was there, and i got called "white boy" and "cracker" and a lot worse shit, do i care? not really, it never even really bothered me. I still go to my buddies cook outs and his my grandfather still calls me the little white boy, even though im 6'7" -.- but i digress. I didn't use that as an example of "oh look, ive got black friends" and more of a "hey, we all grow up in different situations, but you shouldn't let those situations define you". Shit, im probably the epitome of "white privileged" now, but i earned that shit. I joined the military, went green to gold, served as an officer, and now i am where i am. One of my best friends, who's black, makes 10x what i make, and ive got a white trash cousin with 8 kids, no baby daddy to be seen, and she lives off welfare.

One thing that stood out to me in the Army was this, I had a good friend, a Hispanic kid from Rhode Island. This isnt an exact quote but its pretty damn accurate, he said the most racist people hes ever met was a group of black kids from Alabama who were in our unit, they never really bothered me, or any other white people who we were stationed with, but they absolutely hated Hispanic people. Food for thought.

Deleted
    Quoting myself for some context, it's a short line of responses to @Nixx
    Quote Originally Posted by sefrimutro View Post
    Considering that in my response I'm suggesting that yours (people simply didn't like something) could be just another excessively lenient interpretation, I recommend investing in a mirror.
    I'd like to make an addendum to this, which I think is my only real gripe with this story. And it's not even about the story itself, but how people build cheap argumentative frameworks.
    Nixx's response encapsulated the firestorm, the outrage or whatevs went on in Twitter or elsewhere as "people decided that was something they didn't like".
    It's, of course, ok to not like things and markets respond accordingly. The argument is fine, but it's also lazy and superficial.
    Their motive to pack the events into a nice and benign wrapper is unknown to me. Possibly, and they insist on this often, it just doesn't matter. For the record, I tend to agree: it's just idiots yelling at each other. Yet even responding betrays the speaker: because they care enough to point it out, and often predictably in some specific subjects, but not others.

Whatever the motive, it's also a ubiquitous method of debate.

It's just protesters.
    People riot, break windows, burn furniture. Some people are upset about it, some others shrug it off. It just so happens that riots happen for a reason, so they are contextualized to the greater, benign, package: protest. And you would't want to take their right to protest away, uh?.

It's just political dissidents.
    People are spreading Nazi talking points. People are upset about it, understandably. But people who shrug off Nazi rhetoric wrap it in a nice parcel: dissidence. You wound't take their free speech away, wold you?, it's just political disagreement.

It's just defense.
    In the face of highly questionable exterior policy, some people fail to grasp how damaging it could be. Misguided, pointless and excessively expensive concrete structures could be build across a border. Or dropping a few bombs here and there. But you wound't question the right of a nation to protect itself, right?.

It's just dating advise.
    Someone publishes an excruciatingly creepy recollection of how they think women behave. They encourage men not to seek an equal, or a partner but to keep score. To cultivate the persona of a loner, only seeking other people as an utility where they to thrust their member into to satiate their "natural impulse". When it's pointed out that this spine-chilling culture is perhaps undesirable, they pack it as the less controversial, and much more nicer context: dating advise. And who is to blame them if they only want to date other people.

It's just a joke (bro).
    Need I keep going?.

This is a recurrent theme. It happens left and right, up and down. On a daily basis in mmo-c-ot. It annoys me a little bit.

Deleted
    "Responding = caring" is itself a lazy and bankrupt argument. By the very fact that I'm on MMO-C, I've already decided this time does not have value, so the bar to gain a response is extremely low.
    I mean... I already addressed it in my first response: darn, I'm caught in it too. The observation is more of a self-deprecating chuckle than reproval on your response. Apology is in order for mixing that with what little I'm gathering of your motivation.

I simply inject a less outrageous perspective that isn't entirely wrapped up in outrage and hysteria.
    Quite frankly, I was aiming for this too on my first response.
    But it's the third time you accuse me of excessive clemency, in increasingly hostile succession. To which I can't help but shrug: I don't get it.
    Last edited by mmoc003aca7d8e; 2017-05-25 at 07:38 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    So they didn't push you back towards the center and you just used that cheap throwaway line everyone uses when they want to shame some ill-defined group of people who aren't really even present.
    Yes you caught me tongue in cheek shit posting...you won I suppose.

Congrats

Asian. Latin. Black. White.
    Long ago, the four races lived together in harmony.
    Then, everything changed when the Crybullies attacked.

Re-touched from another thread
    "Culture doesn't have 4 walls :^)"
    "TAKE THAT OFFSTOP COOKING/EATING THAT NOW YOU'RE X IT DOESN'T BELONG TO YOU FUCKING REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE"

Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by atsawin26 View Post
    or is "cultural appropriation" of food silly to begin with?
    its only not silly to racists

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kupsy View Post

Meanwhile, two women who just started a business have been bullied and harassed out of business by the so-called "progressives" on social media. 2017, folks.
    Its just typical libtard logic, just like when people say whomever isn't "black" enough.

Raving about division/discrimination is bad and pushing for it at the same time
    We have faced trials and danger, threats to our world and our way of life. And yet, we persevere. We are the Horde. We will not let anything break our spirits!"

Deleted
    I've accused you of lenience once.
    Referring to past threads there (uno ,dos and this the third).
    And, well... you might be onto something. More than once, outside of this internet thing, I've been told to seek less social approval, and be more incisive in defending my beliefs.
    But I still don't quite grasp how. Throwing myself into this pit of despair is, in a sense, me seeking sufficient disgust to eventually snap. Disgusting posts thrive here. But the best I've gotten in the snapping exercise is a few eye-rolls.
    I guess I can't expect you to hold my hand. But thanks for the input anyway.
    Last edited by mmoc003aca7d8e; 2017-05-25 at 08:29 PM.

Herald of the Titans DocSavageFan's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Molis View Post
    Yes you caught me tongue in cheek shit posting...you won I suppose.

Congrats
    Nixx always "wins".
    "Never get on the bad side of small minded people who have a little power." - Evelyn (Gifted)

10+ Year Old Account
    Cultural appropriation is the biggest issue we face as a society right now, the only logical solution is segregation. /s

For real though.. This is outrageous and PC culture is getting ridiculous.
    Battletag(US): Bradski#11752
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    What do you call a tsundere Wookie? Chew-b-b-baka

Move the taco truck to a city that actually eats tacos and call it day.

Portland can't be fixed. There's one city that needs to be walled off and forgotten.

10+ Year Old Account
    People are idiots. What these two women did is completely legal and should be accepted. It's a fucking tortilla, not intellectual property.

Sounds more like the tweeters are racists.