Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    While this is probably more for another thread - I've been wondering quite a bit now about what might happen what I call the "Skyrim effect".

For a LOT of people (myself included), Skyrim was our first introduction into the ES games. However, I'm honestly not sure how many of the newer players payed attention to the fact that it's "Elder Scrolls 5" so much as simply "Skyrim".

In effect, I'm wondering if there will be TOO much expectation for the next ES to be a "Skyrim 2" than a proper ES game set somewhere else completely different. PLEASE don't assume I'm personally expecting or even WANTING this! I'm not nor do I wish to as I totally got into the lore/story/history of ES games after playing Skyrim, so my expectations and wants are set to be in a new exciting land of new stories! I'm just talking about people who just picked up the game cus "Hey! cool vikings!!!" who sadly didn't pay much attention to the story and probably make up a VERY significant chunk of Skyrim's sales figures...

Will the influx of new players be expecting lots of Nords, snow, viking-style architecture, dragons, epic nordic chanting music and a Thu'um spewing primary hero?

So, I was thinking... what would Bethesda's solution be to try to please everybody (should they even attempt to!)

I thought of them having something where there's a Nord village or something, but I'm not sure that would be enough...

So, I had a crazy theory...

What if, say, they went ahead and did ES6 as they usually do (new land, new story, ect...), but then - after ES6 - they announce that one of their new unnanounced games be... Skyrim 2!

I mean, who's to say they can't turn/spin Skyrim off itself into its own franchise? Who's to say they can't turn later ES zones into other franchises should they prove to be successful?

I know, I know... CRAY-Z theory! I agree that the purist in me would rather have it stay one series... but they've already kinda blew that up with the release of ESO, haven't they?
    Last edited by mvaliz; 2017-05-25 at 05:03 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mvallas View Post
    While this is probably more for another thread - I've been wondering quite a bit now about what might happen what I call the "Skyrim effect".

For a LOT of people (myself included), Skyrim was our first introduction into the ES games. However, I'm honestly not sure how many of the newer players payed attention to the fact that it's "Elder Scrolls 5" so much as simply "Skyrim".

In effect, I'm wondering if there will be TOO much expectation for the next ES to be a "Skyrim 2" than a proper ES game set somewhere else completely different. PLEASE don't assume I'm personally expecting or even WANTING this! I'm not nor do I wish to as I totally got into the lore/story/history of ES games after playing Skyrim, so my expectations and wants are set to be in a new exciting land of new stories! I'm just talking about people who just picked up the game cus "Hey! cool vikings!!!" who sadly didn't pay much attention to the story and probably make up a VERY significant chunk of Skyrim's sales figures...

Will the influx of new players be expecting lots of Nords, snow, viking-style architecture, dragons, epic nordic chanting music and a Thu'um spewing primary hero?

So, I was thinking... what would Bethesda's solution be to try to please everybody (should they even attempt to!)

I thought of them having something where there's a Nord village or something, but I'm not sure that would be enough...

What if, say, they went ahead and did ES6 as they usually do (new land, new story, ect...), but then - after ES6 - they announce that one of their new unnanounced games be... Skyrim 2!

I mean, who's to say they can't turn/spin Skyrim off itself into its own franchise? Who's to say they can't turn later ES zones into other franchises should they prove to be successful?

I know, I know... CRAY-Z theory! I agree that the purist in me would rather have it stay one series... but they've already kinda blew that up with the release of ESO, haven't they?
    People are stupid, but they aren't THAT stupid.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nearby, preventing you from fast traveling.
    Quote Originally Posted by mvallas View Post

Meh I felt the same about Oblivion. How could they top Oblivion gates?! How could they top being Sheogorath? Answer: They don't need to. I don't think the Skyrim babies are dumb enough to think a Skyrim 2 would ever exist.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    Lore wise it makes sense for it to be Hammerfell. I mean, they are the only ones successfully resisting the Aldmeri so if the story continues on Mer vs Humans it makes sense to move to the Redguards (who have plenty of unique lore). Personally I would not at all mind if they actually made the game cover an area as large as Oblivion did and thus pick up multiple regions (imagine Hammerfell, High Rock and Orsinium; you'd go from frozen tundra to temperate forest to desert)
    I love deserts when they're done right, the Alik'r Desert in ESO is my second favourite zone, so I'm all for seeing more of Hammerfell. High Rock is another interesting place since they seem to be at a low point (Wayrest being sacked in Elder Scrolls Legends). I hope we get to see Dragonstar again. The situation there could be interesting.
    Last edited by Aeula; 2017-05-25 at 03:12 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Aeula View Post
    I love deserts when they're done right, the Al'akir Desert in ESO is my second favourite zone, so I'm all for seeing more of Hammerfell. High Rock is another interesting place since they seem to be at a low point (Wayrest being sacked in Elder Scrolls Legends). I hope we get to see Dragonstar again. The situation there could be interesting.
    Al'akir was really well done in ESO, both visually and as a storyline. Poor ESO is still so underrated
    This isn't WoW, dudes

I am a bit biased as a Breton-Redguard player but more Hammerfell can't be a bad thing!

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of human potential (and non-toxic masculinity)
    Quote Originally Posted by Aeula View Post
    Meh I felt the same about Oblivion. How could they top Oblivion gates?! How could they top being Sheogorath? Answer: They don't need to. I don't think the Skyrim babies are dumb enough to think a Skyrim 2 would ever exist.
    You mean boring, uninspired and repeating content (since they are reusing alot within those gates). I dont think they are that hard to top.

Quote Originally Posted by Arrashi View Post
    You mean boring, uninspired and repeating content (since they are reusing alot within those gates). I dont think they are that hard to top.
    I hope I will never visit Sigillum Sanguis ever again...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Verdugo View Post
    I hope I will never visit Sigillum Sanguis ever again...
    The only good thing was that since sigil stones were random all you needed to do was 5 runs for 100 absord and then never set foot there ever again.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well to be fair I was twelve at the time...

You mean boring, uninspired and repeating content (since they are reusing alot within those gates)
    All TES games used random quests in random dungeons. It is a kind of a hallmark of the series.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tackhisis View Post
    All TES games used random quests in random dungeons. It is a kind of a hallmark of the series.
    Yes and only oblivion went so close to hyperdimension neptunia in reusing same dungeon over, and over and OVER again.

reusing same dungeon over, and over and OVER again.
    There were 6 outside layouts and a number of random tunnel and tower sections. All game dungeons were random, except for Morrowind.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tackhisis View Post
    It's kinda why exploration in TES games sucks.

You look at a cave that you know nine times out of ten it'll look just like the last five caves you've just explored and have no real reward making it worth doing.

10+ Year Old Account
    And then you enter a random cave and BAM Blackreach
    And BAM! Kinda pointless location, especially since going there early can bug up the main quest.

Everywhere in game should have some reason to explore, the Enderal mod (If you can call over one hundred hours of gameplay in a new world a 'mod') did this perfectly using pre-placed set items and some of the best interior and exterior design I've ever seen. Enderal was the first time I've actually WANTED to get lost and discover some secret tomb, in Skyrim I groaned every time a quest sent me into a dungeon.

All I want is a new engine that isn't bogged down by scripts, uses more than a minimal amount of memory, releases old useless information from the memory, is fucking stable and can clean its save files properly. Skyrim has one of the worst engines I've seen in an open world game. Anyone who's had experience modding that game more than a few times understands what I mean. Even if you don't mod it, there are still things you need to do to prepare that game for the long haul like cleaning the master files of dirty edits left in by Bugthesda (check S.T.E.P.). It's not even totally safe to rely on autosaves as these can cause problems saving when data is being altered in the background by scripts and saving during those times can cause problems later on. I have never had to work so hard to get a game to just fucking work. If ES6 comes out and these problems are gone, I'll be so satisfied. Skyrim's engine is so fragile, if you install a mod then remove it (no matter what it is), that data is ALWAYS going to remain in your save and can cause crashes or serious bugs at a later time.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Silvercrown View Post
    All I want is a new engine that isn't bogged down by scripts, uses more than a minimal amount of memory, releases old useless information from the memory, is fucking stable and can clean its save files properly. Skyrim has one of the worst engines I've seen in an open world game. Anyone who's had experience modding that game more than a few times understands what I mean. Even if you don't mod it, there are still things you need to do to prepare that game for the long haul like cleaning the master files of dirty edits left in by Bugthesda (check S.T.E.P.). It's not even totally safe to rely on autosaves as these can cause problems saving when data is being altered in the background by scripts and saving during those times can cause problems later on. I have never had to work so hard to get a game to just fucking work. If ES6 comes out and these problems are gone, I'll be so satisfied. Skyrim's engine is so fragile, if you install a mod then remove it (no matter what it is), that data is ALWAYS going to remain in your save and can cause crashes or serious bugs at a later time.
    Never saw what everyone meant by the bad engine when I played on console but since moving to PC... The idiots that made the creation engine should be publicly executed for the crime of high stupidity. How do you fuck an engine so bad that it freaks out when ran by a computer with 60+ FPS? And somehow it got WORSE with Fallout 4.

Deleted
    The Elder Scrolls online should be the main motor for the upcoming stories of the Elder scrolls series. While i believe the idea to focus on multiplayer is a bad decision in special considering the fact character power is limited to balance issues.

An upcoming solo player experience, if it ever should happen, should make us gods, as like Skyrim was able to. We should be able to find the most powerful items without the need to compete with any other player. The biggest limitation of TESO is, that player characters always need to be catered to player competition, which really is a big negative about the Online incarnation of the Tamriel universe.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by rym View Post
    The Elder Scrolls online should be the main motor for the upcoming stories of the Elder scrolls series. While i believe the idea to focus on multiplayer is a bad decision in special considering the fact character power is limited to balance issues.

An upcoming solo player experience, if it ever should happen, should make us gods, as like Skyrim was able to. We should be able to find the most powerful items without the need to compete with any other player. The biggest limitation of TESO is, that player characters always need to be catered to player competition, which really is a big negative about the Online incarnation of the Tamriel universe.
    From a lore standpoint the vestige is practically a god as it is. They're immortal, even with their soul back and they're trained in arts unheard of in the third and fourth eras. Though it is sad I can't wield goldbrand Chrysamere or other similar weapon. Closest we can get to a Daedric Artifact is the Maelstrom weapons granted by the Barons who move like this.

Quote Originally Posted by rym View Post
    The Elder Scrolls online should be the main motor for the upcoming stories of the Elder scrolls series.
    You really want me to hate every single post you make, don't you?

Bethesda not having to rely on the modding community to fix the game's bugs and glitches would be nice.