Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Rio olympics, medals fall apart as fast as buildings

Not only have the Rio Olympics had buildings fall apart from last summer, the medals awarded are crumbling.

http://www.france24.com/en/20170519-...als-fall-apart

19 May 2017 - 18H40
    Scores of defective Rio Olympic medals fall apart

GETTY IMAGES NORTH AMERICA/AFP/File | An Olympic gold medal from the Rio 2016 Olympic Games is seen October 5, 2016 in Los Angeles, California

LAUSANNE (AFP) -
    Scores of cherished medals awarded at the Rio Olympics are falling to pieces and will be replaced, red-faced 2016 Games organisers said on Friday.

An estimated 2,021 medals were handed out to competitors at the Games last summer but many soon began to flake apart.

"We're seeing problems with the covering on between six or seven percent of the medals and it seems to be to do with the difference in temperatures," Rio Games communications officer Mario Andrada said.

"Together with the IOC we're setting up a system for replacing the defective medals," he said, adding that the problem was prevalent mainly with silver medals and that the makers, the Brazilian mint, were undertaking the task.

Made with recycled materials, the medals concerned have either suffered unsightly staining or had the covering fall away.

"The medals will either be repaired or replaced," Andrada said.

Horrible dyscivic pictures in just 6 months

http://www.businessinsider.com/rio-o...r-games-2017-2

Here is what the abandoned venues of the Rio Olympics look like just 6 months after the games
    Emmett Knowlton
    Feb. 13, 2017, 2:48 PM
    It's hard to believe that Rio de Janeiro hosted the Summer Olympics just six months ago.

Today, the Olympic Village has turned into a ghost town, and many of the venues have fallen into disrepair.

At the Maracana Stadium, the power has been turned off because there is nobody to pay the energy bill. Water in one practice pool is orange. Turf has turned brown and, along with countless stadium seats, inexplicably removed from the field.

And that doesn't even begin to describe the situation
    People are unused to truth.
    People follow consistent truth.
    Respect the power and impact of truth.
    Men who speak truth drive value.

Ah, okay, even the close to 100% christian Brazil is not a country filled with subhumans for you.

It's true that christianism praticed by non-whites is as filthy and impure as Islam or Judaism for some people.

infracted - trolling

Trying to revitalize a faltering city by hosting the Olympics only exacerbates the problem. Who woulda thunk?

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by sarahtasher View Post
    Ah, okay, even the close to 100% christian Brazil is not a country filled with subhumans for you.

It's true that christianism praticed by non-whites is as filthy and impure as Islam or Judaism for some people.
    .............what le fuck?
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

infracted - trolling
    boldly said, but i remain unconvinced
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    An alcoholic fighting his addiction is fighting a jihad.

10+ Year Old Account

infracted - trolling
    What in the world does this have to do with the subject at hand?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    This is why the olympics need to just be held in one location every 4 years. Such a waste of money for a country that couldn't afford it.
    Ohh really? And what idiots would want to spend taxpayers money every time? People would revolt.

10+ Year Old Account
    The post has been handled. please dont let it derail the thread more. thank you.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    That's why the onus falls on the IOC to fund it. Beyond the initial startup at least. It's not like the area wouldn't benefit from tourism dollars every 4 years.
    Let me take my time and roll on the floor and laugh...ok, IOC isn't there to found anything, they are there to profit. Also those benefits from tourists are questionable. Just from London's olimpics, few private firms got richer while the tax payers had to fork out additional money to found security because G4S didn't wanted to spend money that were payed to them.

ps: just to make it clear, I would riot if olimpics came to London again, let alone coming back every 4 years.
    Last edited by Serpha; 2017-05-25 at 09:24 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Everyone saw this coming a mile away with how they handled the preparations. Was awful from start to finish.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    Isn't this a problem basically anywhere the Olympics are hosted, aside from maybe the medals? But basically the Olympics is costly and doesn't actually help out the local area that hosts it.
    It's the same problem with football World Cup or Euro Cup.

Olympics should really be held in the same place all the time, and maybe bumped up to every other year, so it's worthwhile to maintain. Too many countries are going outside their means to afford the Olympics, and then letting all their work fall apart. And all the Olympic members could pay a small fee based on revenue or population or something to maintain the buildings. Allow athletes to train there part of the time, so they have experience on the Olympic fields.

As for location, that's a bit harder. I don't think there is any good place to put it without angering the world, as whichever country hosts the winter and summer fields, would essentially get huge tourism boosts every so often.

Neutral countries, or non-participants might not be a terrible idea. #SwissForWinterOlympics
    Last edited by God Save The King; 2017-05-25 at 09:35 PM.
    “You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me.”
    – C.S. Lewis

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by CMartel View Post
    Not only have the Rio Olympics had buildings fall apart from last summer, the medals awarded are crumbling.

http://www.france24.com/en/20170519-...als-fall-apart

19 May 2017 - 18H40
    Scores of defective Rio Olympic medals fall apart

GETTY IMAGES NORTH AMERICA/AFP/File | An Olympic gold medal from the Rio 2016 Olympic Games is seen October 5, 2016 in Los Angeles, California

LAUSANNE (AFP) -
    Scores of cherished medals awarded at the Rio Olympics are falling to pieces and will be replaced, red-faced 2016 Games organisers said on Friday.

An estimated 2,021 medals were handed out to competitors at the Games last summer but many soon began to flake apart.

"We're seeing problems with the covering on between six or seven percent of the medals and it seems to be to do with the difference in temperatures," Rio Games communications officer Mario Andrada said.

"Together with the IOC we're setting up a system for replacing the defective medals," he said, adding that the problem was prevalent mainly with silver medals and that the makers, the Brazilian mint, were undertaking the task.

Made with recycled materials, the medals concerned have either suffered unsightly staining or had the covering fall away.

"The medals will either be repaired or replaced," Andrada said.

Horrible dyscivic pictures in just 6 months

http://www.businessinsider.com/rio-o...r-games-2017-2

Here is what the abandoned venues of the Rio Olympics look like just 6 months after the games
    Emmett Knowlton
    Feb. 13, 2017, 2:48 PM
    It's hard to believe that Rio de Janeiro hosted the Summer Olympics just six months ago.

Today, the Olympic Village has turned into a ghost town, and many of the venues have fallen into disrepair.

At the Maracana Stadium, the power has been turned off because there is nobody to pay the energy bill. Water in one practice pool is orange. Turf has turned brown and, along with countless stadium seats, inexplicably removed from the field.

And that doesn't even begin to describe the situation
    I sincerely think we should have some permanent places for the Olympics that we rotate between every time. It would solve so much grief.

Quote Originally Posted by GothamCity View Post
    Olympics should really be held in the same place all the time, and maybe bumped up to every other year, so it's worthwhile to maintain. Too many countries are going outside their means to afford the Olympics, and then letting all their work fall apart. And all the Olympic members could pay a small fee based on revenue or population or something to maintain the buildings. Allow athletes to train there part of the time, so they have experience on the Olympic fields.
    But many countries/cities see this as an economic opportunity. Hosting an international event it in only one place, would be seen as unfair.

Based on my cursory search, many previous sites for the Olympics have done well including Atlanta, Georgia 1996, Salt Lake City 2002, and London.

Quote Originally Posted by yurano View Post
    But many countries/cities see this as an economic opportunity. Hosting an international event it in only one place, would be seen as unfair.

Based on my cursory search, many previous sites for the Olympics have done well including Atlanta, Georgia 1996, Salt Lake City 2002, and London.
    Yeah, wealthier countries can shoulder the burden. Poorer countries like Brazil/Russia run themselves in to the ground trying to manage it.

I mentioned the country issue in my post. Tokyo, hosting 2020, will also likely be fine.
    “You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me.”
    – C.S. Lewis

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by yurano View Post

Nope, unless you count giving free football stadiums to your mates and as a result ruining the fortunes of another, more deserving club.

I am Murloc!
    7+ Year Old Account
    Germany would like to host anything, we did fine with World Cup 2006 and are co-host of Euro 2020 ( Munich will host a quarterfinal).

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    Isn't this a problem basically anywhere the Olympics are hosted, aside from maybe the medals? But basically the Olympics is costly and doesn't actually help out the local area that hosts it.
    Don't know about many other places. Here they sometimes debate the costs of Barcelona'92 summer games. But that the area received massive benefits is out of questioning. The games propped the city up: airport infrastructure, modernization of very degraded areas, stupendous tourism decades after the fact. The facilities are taken well care of, and used regularly far as I understand. On a national level, it hid under the rug the political crisis that was commencing and served instead as a nice presentation card for a dynamic and forward-looking new democratic Spain.
    In a sense, they took it as an opportunity for business in a time of economic bonanza.
    But the more recent experience in Greece is similar to that of Rio.

Quote Originally Posted by Puupi View Post
    .............what le fuck?
    Do you ever send people text messages, and instead of trying to be coherent you just hit the next suggested word or phrase just to fuck with people? I'm possitive that's how that poster learned how to communicate.
    I'm the root of all that is evil, yeah, but you can call me cookie.

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    For brazilians, the olympics and the world cup were just 2 huge windows the government opened to corruption, so the party in charge could get tons of money to finance itself in the next elections. Thankfully we managed to impeach them. But theres still a long way to go...

Many stadiums with capacity for more than 60k people were built on cities with no soccer tradition, in the case of the world cup, so they are just there draining public money. And guess who built those stadiums ? Companies like Odebrecht and OAS, which are involved in corruption scandals in many countries. I'd advice you guys to google those companies. And many others, like JBS, Camargo Corrêa, Itaipava... To get the picture of whats happening here right now.

Corruption in Brazil makes House of Cards and Game of Thrones look like a kids playgound.
    Last edited by igualitarist; 2017-05-25 at 10:39 PM.