Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Well, before I answer that @Tennisace, I'd need to know how you go about it. How do you say no politely? Do you always ask personal questions without giving any answer to the question you've posed? Have you thought about changing this since it comes across as rather rude?
    With COVID-19 making its impact on our lives, I have decided that I shall hang in there for my remaining days, skip some meals, try to get children to experiment with making henna patterns on their skin, and plant some trees. You know -- live, fast, dye young, and leave a pretty copse. I feel like I may not have that quite right.

10+ Year Old Account
    There's something in the water... Florida
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    Does that really go far enough. That could come off as curt and rude.

- - - Updated - - -

Ehh but what if I don't have other plans and am just not interested. I'm a genuine person so I'm not about to lie to people.
    if you dont want to go then you obviously have plans of not going so you are not really lying.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    MMO-C, where a shill for Putin cares about democracy in the US.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by bungeebungee View Post
    Well, before I answer that @Tennisace, I'd need to know how you go about it. How do you say no politely? Do you always ask personal questions without giving any answer to the question you've posed? Have you thought about changing this since it comes across as rather rude?
    Somewhat similarly to how some above have stated. However, I am always aiming to improve.

10+ Year Old Account
    My best excuse is 'hungover' but you can just tell them you don't feel like going anywhere.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ehh but what if I don't have other plans and am just not interested. I'm a genuine person so I'm not about to lie to people.
    Then tell them the truth. "I'm not up for XXX tonight, sorry."

10+ Year Old Account
    I just say "im pretty tired im gonna stay in tonight, thanks for the offer though have fun!"

its not hard

Say 'no thanks', you're being polite, but you're not stringing anyone along either. You don't need to say any more than that.

Deleted
    Quit worrying what people think of you and just say no thanks...

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Forgettable View Post
    Then tell them the truth. "I'm not up for XXX tonight, sorry."
    Good reply. While some will think being blunt is rude, sometimes a situation needs to be handled, bluntly. Even if the response is " Na, not interested " the one asking the question should accept it and move on.

But in all seriousness, "nah" "No thanks"

"I'm Tennisace"

That usually gets rid of any invitation.

For instance when someone invites you out but you're not interested at all. How would you go about declining?
    Try:

"HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!" *Deep breaths* "HAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!" *Pointer finger up to signal them to Hold On* "HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.... No."
    Quote Originally Posted by Teffi
    You play a game for 20+ hours a week and you're "an addict".
    You sit on your fat ass eating nachos and watching men in tight pants throw a ball around for 20+ hours a week and you're "a man".
    Sometimes, I just can't even:
    Quote Originally Posted by Nixx
    It's just an assertion, so it's neither logical nor illogical.

How about, "No thank you"? Has the internet really retarded our social development this much?

10+ Year Old Account
    "can't, masturbating"

Guarantee you'll never be invited again.
    "It's not what we don't know that gets us into trouble; it's what we know for sure that just ain't so." ~ Mark Twain
    "The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time" ~ Jesus of Nazareth
    "把它放在我的屁股,爸爸" ~ Dalai Lama

10+ Year Old Account
    You just say no, or "maybe next time".

Isn't some great mystery.

Stood in the Fire The5thVegetable's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    I'll say, you should concern yourself less with being scared of disappointing someone, and concern yourself more with what you want. If the answer is no, then say no in whichever manner you see fit, plain and simple! The person in question will understand- if you don't think they don't, they don't deserve the politeness in the first place. And if they do understand, isn't being afraid they won't disrespectful towards their intellect? And if it's just because you don't want to disappoint people, regardless of whether they understand or not, all I'll say is, excessive altruism can be harmful towards oneself.

For instance when someone invites you out but you're not interested at all. How would you go about declining?
    Why is this complicated? "I appreciate the invitation, but no thank you."

10+ Year Old Account
    "I'd rather drink bleach than go out with you."

The problem boils down to, are they asking you 'cause they are trying to be nice to you or are they asking you because they would like to spend time with you.

If it's the former, where they are just trying to be nice to you to include you, "no thanks" works great. If it's the latter, that's where it gets tricky. Truth be told, I don't think there is a way to go that doesn't hurt their feelings without lying to them. Of course, there's always the chance you'll get caught in that lie, like saying you are tired and staying in, and they see you out doing other stuff, or hanging with other people. If you just don't want to make them upset or feeling rejected, "I'm pretty tired, will probably just be staying in tonight" probably works best, 'cause there's probably always at least some legitimacy to that...unless you are planning on going out anyway, just not with them - then it's either lie, or just let them feel sad.

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

No thank you.