Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    Good reply. While some will think being blunt is rude, sometimes a situation needs to be handled, bluntly. Even if the response is " Na, not interested " the one asking the question should accept it and move on.
    Except the "I'm not up for XXX tonight", is kinda stringing the person along if there's no actual problem with the night in question.

"No thanks." is all thats needed, and its more polite than making up some excuse... unless there *is* a reason or conflict about the particular time...

in which case a, "Not tonight, but how about a raincheck?" would suffice.

Quote Originally Posted by The5thVegetable View Post
    I'll say, you should concern yourself less with being scared of disappointing someone, and concern yourself more with what you want. If the answer is no, then say no in whichever manner you see fit, plain and simple! The person in question will understand- if you don't think they don't, they don't deserve the politeness in the first place. And if they do understand, isn't being afraid they won't disrespectful towards their intellect? And if it's just because you don't want to disappoint people, regardless of whether they understand or not, all I'll say is, excessive altruism can be harmful towards oneself.
    If you only concern yourself with what you want, you need to be prepared to be alone. And while that works for some people, and probably works for you, I'm guessing that route doesn't work for Tennisace.

Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    For instance when someone invites you out but you're not interested at all. How would you go about declining?
    if you ask someone if they want to do something how would you want them to say "no" to you? Then do that

10+ Year Old Account
    Does that really go far enough. That could come off as curt and rude.
    Tone of voice goes a long way... It will only come off that way if your tone makes it so.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don’t have one, you’ll probably never need one again.

10+ Year Old Account
    As someone who has struggled with social anxiety for many years, simply saying 'no' or 'no thanks' to most things is surprisingly difficult. What people think of you in response is a huge deal (even when honestly, its not, and they probably don't care).

I'm much better at managing it now, but years ago, I would rather give a homeless person money or food rather than tell them 'no'. Those 'Do you want to donate a dollar to blah blah charity' at cashiers were awful too. These days, if I don't know the person, they usually get a cheerful 'no thanks!'. People asking for money are usually told I don't have cash. I've gotten better at saying 'no' especially to people in public in Vegas, largely because I've learned that there are more con-artists and scammers than there are actual homeless people or those in need.

If someone were inviting me to something, and it's a friend, I usually tell them no thanks, but usually explain why. I was even proud of myself just the other day when I told my boss that I didn't want to cancel dinner reservations because they got a last minute call in. That to me was a huge deal.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ragedaug View Post
    If you only concern yourself with what you want
    He didn't say only be concerned with what you want, he said be more concerned with what you want.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don’t have one, you’ll probably never need one again.

Quote Originally Posted by Schattenlied View Post
    He didn't say only be concerned with what you want, he said be more concerned with what you want.
    Sure, but in this scenario what you want directly conflicts with what they want, so if you are always picking yourself over others whenever there is a conflict and will never do anything you want to do, they will likely get tired of inviting you.

Saying no to an invitation without the pretense of a legitimate excuse sends the message that I'd rather do nothing or my every day routine than hang out with you. That's why so many people make crap up instead of saying no. It's easier and less feelings are hurt.

"If I could I would but I can't so I shan't" should do the job

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by sionus View Post
    Why is this complicated? "I appreciate the invitation, but no thank you."
    Seriously, this. Just be honest and don't be a jerk.

"Hey thanks for the offer! I'll have to decline, though." Or literally any variant.
    S (moderator)
    P (WoW Gen, Pets/Mog/Ach, Fun/Chat Zone)
    L (guidelines*)
    E (WoW gen rules*)
    N (my art*)
    D (Pikachu BEST Pokemon)
    A (Sensational™)

For instance when someone invites you out but you're not interested at all. How would you go about declining?

It's easy you just say, No, or Not right now

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Halicia View Post
    Except the "I'm not up for XXX tonight", is kinda stringing the person along if there's no actual problem with the night in question.

"No thanks." is all thats needed, and its more polite than making up some excuse... unless there *is* a reason or conflict about the particular time...

in which case a, "Not tonight, but how about a raincheck?" would suffice.
    I guess it depends on your relationship with the person you're declining. I've personally used "I'm not up for XXX tonight" on friends, because it was the truth. With people I don't consider friends, again, I just tell them the truth "Sorry, not much of a XXXer" (golfer, drinker, etc).

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Berengil View Post
    My go-to response:

" My Crohn's is flaring up lately. Sorry."

(I don't have it, btw.)
    As someone with Crohn's Disease, that excuse works amazingly for getting out of shit (lol) you don't wanna do.

Teh proofz, it says Ulcerative Colitis, but a full colonoscopy in 2015 found it to be Crohn's Disease: http://i.imgur.com/KMiQx1e.jpg

Deleted
    I would say "no thanks it's a waste of time" so they wont bother me again.

You could try full Aussie:

"fuck off y'old bastard".

Challenge Mode : Play WoW like my disability has me play:
    You will need two people, Brian MUST use the mouse for movement/looking and John MUST use the keyboard for casting, attacking, healing etc.
    Briand and John share the same goal, same intentions - but they can't talk to each other, however they can react to each other's in game activities.
    Now see how far Brian and John get in WoW.

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by schwarzkopf View Post
    You could try full Aussie:

"fuck off y'old bastard".
    Or the old Scottish " Git tae fuck".

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Cheese View Post
    "I'd rather drink bleach than go out with you."
    I'd rather Nair my nostril hair...

I'd rather blowtorch my pubic hair...

I'd rather swallow a rusty razor blade and try to extract it with fish hook...

I'd rather snort lye...

I'd rather... just hang out by myself, listen to music, and read a book. No, don't worry, you haven't heard of the band, nor the author. /puts on romper backwards. Peace, I'm innie.

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

"Sorry, my waifu pillow needs lovin' tonight"

<< No, thanks.>>

Deleted
    "would really love to, but the people other than yourself that are going along are complete animals that indulge in drink and drug fueled insanity that I am no longer interested in . Only last week <insert name> sent me a video of themselves pleasuring a dolphin with a gimp mask, a carrot and tube of lube. I Didn't even know you could get a gimp mask for a dolphin!