Page 1 of 5
... LastLast
    Deleted

Too many characters are dieing, and not enough new characters are being developed.

So let's start saying this: I'm totally fine if old lore characters die (as long as they die in a meaningful way for the story), and new characters come up.

We cannot negate that every expansion new characters get developed. Garrosh was the main example of this, wheter you liked how that story went or not, he was developed in 3 expansion from WotLK to MoP.

Looking at more recent years we had people like Khadgar, Gul'Dan, and now we have or example Genn Greymane, Odyn, Maiev, Thalyssra and so on.
    That's great.

The problem here is that many of these characters do not carry over that much in future expansion, or at least that's what happened until now. We definetly saw a change in style between WoD and Legion, where the story continue in a nice flow and the characters can transition.

But it wasn't the case before. This is painfully obvious if you look how the racial leaders of the horde are right now.

Vol'Jin died like a clown before he could show us anything, and now the trolls are in shits creek. No personality or charismatic dudes to rapresent them. Cairne Bloodhoof died back 4 expansion ago and we got this other clown of Baine who did literally 0 in 4 expansions. Thrall shaved his head and went out to do god knows what, garrosh is dead, vol'jin comes, he is dead, now we got Saurfang that is meh. We saw very little of him and he is leading the orcs.

What i'm trying to say that there are many examples of this type where you can jsut say blizz is fucking up somewhere because we are losing more and more old lore personalities, basically the dudes the define the word "Warcraft" but we aren't getting as much new charismatic characters to replace them.

That is my feeling right now and i hope that they know this is a problem

In a way that is perhaps fitting, it mirrors what is happening with the playerbase.

I don't think you have to worry your pretty little head.

As MoP proved, new characters, new storylines and new events are quite possible in this game. The writers are not exactly as void of imagination as a lot of the playerbase.

And I sincerely doubt that we've seen the last of Vol'jin.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Greylan View Post
    In a way that is perhaps fitting, it mirrors what is happening with the playerbase.
    So when they make up new characters, it too "mirrors what is happening with the playerbase"? Legion has had quite a few new characters added!

Good to know!

/facepalm. I'll wave at you from the expansion coming out 3 expansions from now with the story very much ongoing.

I don't believe this will be much of an issue. Blizzard actually has a sea of characters, but little space to put focus on them, which is why you feel that Baine is a joke. He hasn't done anything because there's others taking spotlight.

Not enough are dying, imo. The story has been all carebears after the opening scenario of the expansion with tyrion/varian/voljin. The legion haven't done shit and the story isn't the least bit threatening.

I agree not enough new ones that matter (or at least ones that stick around)

Quote Originally Posted by Rorcanna View Post
    As MoP proved, new characters, new storylines and new events are quite possible in this game. The writers are not exactly as void of imagination as a lot of the playerbase.
    This is my constant lament with WoW, though it's more of a Blizzard franchise problem in general. They're clearly very capable of coming up with cool new ideas and taking things in new directions (heck, just look at Overwatch), but I think they're also unnecessarily afraid of straying away from old favourites or risking alienating their long-term audience. As a result we see the same characters and storylines dredged up well past their prime in order to cater to that old nostalgia rather than taking risks with new things. It really saddens me that after MoP -- the first expansion to embark upon a completely new story crammed full of original lore -- they went right back to nostalgia appeal so hard they had to invent a parallel-universe-alternate-timeline to facilitate it. And for as many cool side stories as Legion has, the core narrative is such a hard retread of Warcraft III it really leaves me lamenting what could've been.

More often than not I fear the thought process for major story decisions in WoW is based on "what can we bring back?" rather than "what's interesting?"

Herald of the Titans Valnoressa's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    You could argue there are too many characters that they can't get to, so thinning them out a bit might help with focusing things. It's harsh but it might be necessary.
    For example, I like that Khadgar has become a regular! I hope he remains part of things going forward.
    Butts.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by elaina View Post
    Not enough are dying, imo. The story has been all carebears after the opening scenario of the expansion with tyrion/varian/voljin. The legion haven't done shit and the story isn't the least bit threatening.

I agree not enough new ones that matter (or at least ones that stick around)
    We've had enough people die in this expansion and the Legion is threatening enough. WoW doesn't need a Game of Thrones level of killing. If anything it just gets old after awhile. I agree there needs to be more new characters but don't kill old ones off so easily.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

Quote Originally Posted by Aeluron Lightsong View Post
    We've had enough people die in this expansion and the Legion is threatening enough. WoW doesn't need a Game of Thrones level of killing. If anything it just gets old after awhile. I agree there needs to be more new characters but don't kill old ones off so easily.
    At the very least they should've spread it out, but I guess we will see what happens on Argus.

It is the great mystery that may make or break the expansion in a lot of ways.

The Unstoppable Force Friendlyimmolation's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    The Dreadfort, or Korriban. You never know.
    Quote Originally Posted by Valnoressa View Post
    You could argue there are too many characters that they can't get to, so thinning them out a bit might help with focusing things. It's harsh but it might be necessary.
    For example, I like that Khadgar has become a regular! I hope he remains part of things going forward.
    I like Khadgar, but I wish he went back to the Alliance. Let a Blood elf/ other horde race represent Horde side if we are cursed to follow mages around for an expansion. I might be in the minority but I can't stomach any horde race, especially the blood elves following anyone around from the Kirin'tor at this point in time.
    Last edited by Friendlyimmolation; 2017-05-26 at 02:44 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by WoWKnight65 View Post
    That's same excuse from you and so many others on this website and your right some of threads do bully high elf fans to a point where they might end up losing their minds to a point of a mass shooting.
    Holy shit lol

NPC development is dead, is all about the "Mighty Champion of Azeroth" now. Metzen is gone, lore is dead.

10+ Year Old Account
    WOW lore and storyline went huge downfall in late Cata/MOP.

Back in Original World of Warcraft, TBC and WOTLK storyline and lore was way more epic, but im keeping playing WOW cas gameplay is not that bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Friendlyimmolation View Post
    I like Khadgar, but I wish he went back to the Alliance. Let a Blood elf/ other horde race represent Horde side if we are cursed to follow mages around for an expansion. I might be in the minority but I can't stomach any horde race, especially the blood elves following anyone around from the Kirin'tor at this point in time.
    Horde doesn't have a magical floating city. The blood elves always get shit on their faces, they are very used to it by now.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Macilento View Post
    So let's start saying this: I'm totally fine if old lore characters die (as long as they die in a meaningful way for the story), and new characters come up.

We cannot negate that every expansion new characters get developed. Garrosh was the main example of this, wheter you liked how that story went or not, he was developed in 3 expansion from WotLK to MoP.

Looking at more recent years we had people like Khadgar, Gul'Dan, and now we have or example Genn Greymane, Odyn, Maiev, Thalyssra and so on.
    That's great.

The problem here is that many of these characters do not carry over that much in future expansion, or at least that's what happened until now. We definetly saw a change in style between WoD and Legion, where the story continue in a nice flow and the characters can transition.

But it wasn't the case before. This is painfully obvious if you look how the racial leaders of the horde are right now.

Vol'Jin died like a clown before he could show us anything, and now the trolls are in shits creek. No personality or charismatic dudes to rapresent them. Cairne Bloodhoof died back 4 expansion ago and we got this other clown of Baine who did literally 0 in 4 expansions. Thrall shaved his head and went out to do god knows what, garrosh is dead, vol'jin comes, he is dead, now we got Saurfang that is meh. We saw very little of him and he is leading the orcs.

What i'm trying to say that there are many examples of this type where you can jsut say blizz is fucking up somewhere because we are losing more and more old lore personalities, basically the dudes the define the word "Warcraft" but we aren't getting as much new charismatic characters to replace them.

That is my feeling right now and i hope that they know this is a problem
    Ysera died too she was sexiest elf i knew.
    You can't take what ya can't see... *rolls d20* You rolled a natural 20* The skill of stealth is successful.

Duelingnexus name: Jaina1337
    Blizzard Battle Tag: Jaina1337#1396

I think it's disappointing because MoP showed us that they can continue the stories of old beloved characters whilst also introducing and developing new ones.

MoP had a good focus on a number of faction leaders like Varian, Vol'Jin, Garrosh, Jaina and Lorthemar. With a few other characters like Aethas thrown in as well. This was a great change of pace from focusing on just one major character like Tirion (WotLK) or Thrall (Cata). They did this all while introducing new characters that would also become memorable like Taran Zhu, Cho, and The Thunder King.

Whilst WoD ended up being a mess, it started out with arguably a better set up because the character focus was going to be primarily on the team that went on the suicide mission through the dark portal - Khadgar, Thrall, Maraad, Liadrin and the other members of their team, plus Durotan, Y'rel and The Warlords themselves as the newcomers. But Maraad had his story butchered, as a result Y'rel's story seemed bland, and many other changes were made so most of the character stories were either cut, or amounted to sweet fuck all.

Although WoD was largely trashed, I still thought they'd continue with their MoP model of story telling or expanding on it. Legion didn't go down that route, or at least not yet. I'm not hopeful though. Legion, despite the name, largely focuses on B plot lines and B plot line characters. Now there's nothing wrong with fleshing out B plot lines and giving them some attention, in fact I've enjoyed a lot of it. But Legion feels like the entire A plot line is on the back burner.

The main returning characters getting attention in Legion are Khadgar, Gul'Dan, Anduin and Illidan.
    - Khadgar is exposition. That's he's purpose and that's fine, but he serves little else other than that and a few dad puns.
    - Gul'Dan, he's great, I love how he was handled, even if the timey whimey parallel dimension back story drives me up the wall.
    - Anduin got some attention in the pre expansion event when his Dad died, but wasn't seen again until recently. Now while I love that cutscene, it's the end of a very short quest chain. It promises character development but gives so little time to really mean anything.
    - Illidan, he got a drastically new direction upon his return to the story that is still hard to swallow. And only recently returned only to tell you to go kill shit on The Broken Shore and have this weird and totally out of character team up with Maiev to take on Mephistroth.

The new addition of Thalyssra is great. But I can't help feeling Legion is full of massively missed opportunities. Some people might cite Genn and Sylvanus as being significant characters for the expansion, but they've had pretty little to do with the A plot line of Legion since the fall out of the Broken Shore. Hell, their characters are relegated to the B plot line of a single zone. Despite both leading the military campaigns for their respective factions. I understand that there's a focus in class over faction in Legion but you still could have had these forces have a bigger impact on the story without sacrificing that.

The biggest missed opportunities are having Jaina, Thrall, Tyrande and Malfurion be a bigger part in the story. I was hopeful there'd be a Malfurion and Illidan reunion in 7.2, but despite what seems like logical story telling, we got nothing.
    - Jaina's plot is left like a dangling thread, to the point where it doesn't matter what they do with her now, it's going to be unsatisfying. Because either she has been waiting around doing nothing, is dealing with problems that aren't as important, or she's a actually dreadlord. Memes be damned. Even if she's at Kul'Tiras, that'll still be unsatisfying because wtf has Kul'Tiras been doing this entire time? Fighting Naga constantly? N'Zoth? And that's only being mentioned now?
    - Then you have Thrall who's going through his second mid life crisis.
    - Malfurion and Tyrande have the most potential because they have been dealing with important B plot line events so far. Why on earth they weren't included in 7.2 I still don't understand.

Back to the point though. We have plenty of characters, they're just not being used. I miss the MoP's way of doing characters. I wanted them to expand on that, not revert backwards.
    Last edited by Captain Kennedy; 2017-05-26 at 05:17 AM.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Luckx View Post
    WOW lore and storyline went huge downfall in late Cata/MOP.

Back in Original World of Warcraft, TBC and WOTLK storyline and lore was way more epic, but im keeping playing WOW cas gameplay is not that bad.
    Vanilla and TBC lore epic? hahahahaha... oh wait you are serious. let me laugh even harder, HAHAHAHAHA. The lore back ten was all over the place and pretty horrible.

Quote Originally Posted by Nize View Post
    I don't believe this will be much of an issue. Blizzard actually has a sea of characters, but little space to put focus on them, which is why you feel that Baine is a joke. He hasn't done anything because there's others taking spotlight.
    Eh, i've gotta disagree, Baine should've interacted with the highmountain (which should've been proper moose-people, or regular tauren, this 'tauren with moose horn' business is atrocious). There's plenty of space for characters to do things, especially over content cycles that go for months and years, Blizz just can't seem to be bothered to develop existing characters and often create new characters that are around for a zone... and then fade out forever.

Gorgonna ought to have been developed past Grizzly Hills, but she's not. Same for Jorin Deadeye.

Blizz killed off most of the decent orcish characters and even most of their background characters in the city, but didn't give us a new generation to replace them.
    Twas brillig

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of human potential (and non-toxic masculinity)
    What they gonna gloat at us to death ? Or send more of their failures to amuse us with their failings ?

Deleted
    Almost all the interesting characters are dead. It's a big problem imo.

Now they are going in that "void" and space alien direction, which isn't interesting in the least for me.

and the Legion is threatening enough.
    I think the Legion recently inherited the alliance battlecry "Not in the face!".