Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by ctd123 View Post
    Communism was based on an idea and when it was physically defeated lost all credibility as a model for the world.
    Physically defeated?
    No. It was outspent.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    I don't disagree but to be fair cancer will never be cured. There is no profit in curing something.
    I'm afraid that's true.
    Profit-driven research makes curing anything a bad idea, as compared to costly treatments that need to be done for a lifetime.
    -------------------

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Gimlix View Post
    Tbh if they start forming a real threat, nuking a whole country down just for the sake of stopping them, shouldn't be a big issue. Sorry but sacrifices have to be made and those countries aren't the most sweetest anyways. So if they really start become a pain, some actual big bombs will get rid of all the problems in those areas.
    Don't forget nuking your own country...and other EU countries where they are.

Because unlike what the right-wing idiots believe the problem with ISIS isn't ideology or whatever they like to claim is but who the real enemy is.

If I lived in yemen now I would see allot of ''made in the USA'' so I got 2 people I can hate.

The Kings in the SA and the US in general because if I just watch the news I will see allot of cheerleaders for those bombings, it's the same with Russia when they see more then happy to aim for civilians then the so called enemy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    Physically defeated?
    No. It was outspent.
    I'm afraid that's true.
    Profit-driven research makes curing anything a bad idea, as compared to costly treatments that need to be done for a lifetime.
    -------------------

- - - Updated - - -

Don't forget nuking your own country...and other EU countries where they are.
    Why nuke one of the best if not best part of the world?
    Quote Originally Posted by Shekora View Post
    Goddamn it, Gimlix, why do you keep making these threads?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam the Wiser View Post

Deleted
    Well you could marsch into the places they are strongest, put the common people in concentration camps and wait it out. They wont be able to sustain themselves when their source of resources is blocked. Forcefully change their cultures and religion which might take a century. The amount of money that would need to be poured into the middle east for humanitarian costs would be enormous.

Or we could just leave the middle east alone and let them do whatever the fuck they want to do. Sooner or later it will burst even if it takes a long ass time.

Quote Originally Posted by ati87 View Post
    Because unlike what the right-wing idiots believe the problem with ISIS isn't ideology or whatever they like to claim is but who the real enemy is.
    ISIS is that you?

10+ Year Old Account
    Because ISIS is an idea. You can't kill ideas with bombs and bullets. ISIS is born of hatreds bred in war. They arose in the ashes of terrorist groups that rose in the ashes of the groups that came before. And a new group will arise in ISIS's place, if we continue to bang at this problem with war.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Peskre View Post
    Well you could marsch into the places they are strongest, put the common people in concentration camps and wait it out. They wont be able to sustain themselves when their source of resources is blocked. Forcefully change their cultures and religion which might take a century. The amount of money that would need to be poured into the middle east for humanitarian costs would be enormous.
    Which would create more terrorists, more violence and in the end, ISIS still gets what they want and they still win.

- - - Updated - - -

Tbh if they start forming a real threat, nuking a whole country down just for the sake of stopping them, shouldn't be a big issue.
    Sorry but sacrifices have to be made and those countries aren't the most sweetest anyways. So if they really start become a pain, some actual big bombs will get rid of all the problems in those areas.
    ISIS is in Northern Iraq and Syria.

You think Turkey will respond kindly to us nuking countries that sit on their border? You think fallout gives a shit about borders?

Not to mention the genocide of the nuclear bomb. ISIS don't act in isolation, they exist in cities intermingled with common citizens who are innocent of any crime, who bow to ISIS rule simply to survive.

Why do you think the battle for Mosul is more complex than "bomb the shit out of them?"
    Putin khuliyo

Why nuke one of the best if not best part of the world?
    Did you forget your own reasons that you posted?
    To get rid of ISIS...or are you fantasizing that your country doesn't have them?

10+ Year Old Account
    Did you forget your own reasons that you posted?
    To get rid of ISIS...or are you fantasizing that your country doesn't have them?
    The west have easier ways to get rid of them in their own country.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Because ISIS is an idea. You can't kill ideas with bombs and bullets. ISIS is born of hatreds bred in war. They arose in the ashes of terrorist groups that rose in the ashes of the groups that came before. And a new group will arise in ISIS's place, if we continue to bang at this problem with war.

- - - Updated - - -

Which would create more terrorists, more violence and in the end, ISIS still gets what they want and they still win.

- - - Updated - - -

ISIS is in Northern Iraq and Syria.

You think Turkey will respond kindly to us nuking countries that sit on their border? You think fallout gives a shit about borders?

Not to mention the genocide of the nuclear bomb. ISIS don't act in isolation, they exist in cities intermingled with common citizens who are innocent of any crime, who bow to ISIS rule simply to survive.

Why do you think the battle for Mosul is more complex than "bomb the shit out of them?"
    Well turkey just has to accept it then lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shekora View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam the Wiser View Post

Quote Originally Posted by zorkuus View Post
    ISIS is that you?
    No it's the citizens of Iraq that the US bombed into terrorism because Bush wanted to impress his Daddy

Or maybe I'm a Syrian that just witnessed the destruction of his town because Puttin wants to be more popular at home so he can screw his country even more?

Or maybe I'm a Yemen that doesn't even know why SA is bombing the shit out of me?

With Trump is to early but give him time, at some point his poll numbers will be so low that he will probably come up with a excuse or two why he started a war with either Iran or N Korea

Quote Originally Posted by ctd123 View Post
    Communism was based on an idea and when it was physically defeated lost all credibility as a model for the world.
    Tell that to China, they seem to still be Communist.

The west have easier ways to get rid of them in their own country.
    I'm sure they'd love to hear.
    Especially France and the UK....

But I'd prefer to nuke your own country since you made the suggestion.
    Stupidity should have consequences. And your own should be a fine example to learn from.

I'm afraid that's true.
    Tens of billions of dollars are sunk into non-profit biomedical research every year.

Stop spreading vicious, ignorant lies about scientists.

ISIS is just a name for one incarnation of an ideology, of a belief system, of an idea. And to throw in a cheesy movie quote- Ideas are bulletproof.

You can't shoot it or bomb it. You defeat it through education, dialogue, law enforcement, empathy and investment in human capital. Being allied with and arming the source of the ideology also doesn't fucking help.

Between the Sunni and the Shia, we bet on the wrong fucking horse.

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    Tens of billions of dollars are sunk into non-profit biomedical research every year. Stop spreading vicious, ignorant lies about scientists.
    If you say so...
    But let us all know what the last true cure was...

If you say so...
    But let us all know what the last true cure was...
    Are you going to define away things that save tons of lives as not "true cures"? The HPV vaccine is very effective when it comes to preventing cervical cancer.

These are all pretty cool too, but probably magically don't count.

I don't think your understanding here is driven by anything other than gross naïveté about biology.

Quote Originally Posted by Amalaric View Post
    Is it really that difficult for the most powerful military forces in the world to handle this?

Or is it incompetence?
    You can't really fight an enemy that looks like everyone else. Go to the mall one day and look around. Now I tell you that 1/3 of the people there are the enemy and you have to figure out a way to kill the enemy without killing innocent people. The old saying "They all look alike" comes to mine. It's no different than it was Vietnam when my Dad was over there. The people who see farming during the day are usually the ones who fire a few harassing shots at night.
    Me thinks Chromie has a whole lot of splaining to do!

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -
    There will always be opposition to good. There will always be evil men. This has been the cycle of mankind since the beginning of recorded civilization.

Evil can be defeated many ways, but most times, it's defeated through the shedding of blood. You seem to imply that going to war with terrorist groups is the problem, or at least, has been a factor in the rise of these terrorist organizations. ISIS doesn't exist because of islamaphobia or any other liberal term used to describe the West's views on the muslim world.

It exists because evil has always existed. This time it chose to take the form of a sect of a religion that justifies its evil acts as being holy or worth reward. Blaming the West is just noise. It doesn't explain why most of ISIS' victims are muslim and decidedly not westerners.

If you can't change their hearts, then you're left with the option of destroying them. Another group will rise in their place, no doubt, but then you take out that one too.

You never stop fighting evil. The price for freedom and our way of life is very high. Unfortunately, that price has always been paid with sacrifice and blood. That's what's required to fight evil and preserve our lands and our freedom. Anything less has not worked and will not work.

How fitting we are discussing this on the eve of Memorial Day, a day where we in the US remember those who have laid down their lives so that we could sit here and enjoy freedom. Let us remember those who have paid the ultimate price and be grateful for those of us who live in a country where people volunteer to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    Are you going to define away things that save tons of lives as not "true cures"? The HPV vaccine is very effective when it comes to preventing cervical cancer. These are all pretty cool too, but probably magically don't count. I don't think your understanding here is driven by anything other than gross naïveté about biology.
    No.
    You lose.
    I asked for true cures, and you give me bullshit.
    You just made my point. (the last cure we had that was significant was the polio vaccine. And the funding was primarily from the government)

Terror is a government's wet dream. You can use this fear against your own people, say more surveillance and control over those who elected you. But it can also backfire, showing incompetence if you don't put up a fight.

10+ Year Old Account
    Because everyone are pussies and refuse to level the ground at their operations?