Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    As I've mentioned, everything about the current strain of far-left, social justice advocacy makes far more sense if you stop hunting for internal consistency and just operate on the basis that the activists harbor very strong anti-white animus. This explanation is far more parsimonious than treating them as though they're making intellectually honest, coherent, consistent arguments.
    Can I just believe someone was posting online while on the toilet with the shits after getting a bad burrito from the place? It makes life simpler.

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    Being that the Pope is white, that would probably be more acceptable to these people.
    world's smallest violin for the poor fucking white people, give it a rest

10+ Year Old Account
    The first ones to complain about people complaining about cultural appropiation are the some guys that throw fits when a fictional character gets changed into woman/black man.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Quote Originally Posted by draynay View Post
    world's smallest violin for the poor fucking white people, give it a rest
    My grandfather was born a slave, on a Muslim farm/plantation, with the legal status of livestock. Can you say the same?

Quote Originally Posted by TheOne01 View Post
    And what about you? Your complaining about people who complain about people who complain about cultural appropriation. Hopefully you see you have a role in this rabbit hole of idiocy as well.
    He who complains last wins the meta-complaining game.

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

Quote Originally Posted by Noogai131 View Post
    Only, the vietnamese make their own baguettes with rice flour, not traditional French baguettes.
    Thus the fusion. Also they tend to use some other Asian ingredients, at least in the ones I've been to.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    Thus the fusion. Also they tend to use some other Asian ingredients, at least in the ones I've been to.
    Which makes a case against cultural appropriation, when you think about it. Almost every culture in the world has taken something from another culture and incorporated it into itself. This is how the world works, cultures taking parts of other cultures into their own, to make a better system, better foods, better lifestyles etc.

I mean, us Australians all but stole basically every "aussie" food we eat from somewhere else, Vegemite and meat pies excluded.

Deleted
    Okay, am I the only one that can't even find this noise, at least something that pre exists things that references the Daily Mail article, or some other article that references the Daily Mail?
    Also why the heck is the Daily Mail the first ones that apparently caught this story?

Quote Originally Posted by yurano View Post
    What you just described is intellectual property. Many top chefs and restaurants actually keep their recipes secret. For example, the head chef will mix the sauce in advance in secret before handing it to peons to cook.
    Keeping something secret doesn't make it intellectual property. It makes it secret. If someone learns of the secret (and didn't commit some illegal act to learn it), then too f-ing bad.

Recipes aren't even protected by copyright, you know (although the exact wording can be).

- - - Updated - - -

Secret or patent, doesn't make it any less intellectual property. You're confusing what's legal with whats right (aka moral).
    Intellectual property of any kind is deeply morally suspect. It's a way for rent seekers to get government to coerce everyone else to pay for their government-granted monopoly.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    I don't think he's using "intellectual property" in a legal sense, but rather just saying that it's an identifiable intellectual component originating from or having a very deeply rooted history in a particular culture. This would be ownership in a more natural sense.
    And this would also be bullshit. It's trying to concoct some sort of moral obligation when none exists.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"

It's a fucking Burrito it's not like everyone doesn't know how to make one already.

Oh and the Mexicans totally stole the idea from in Incas and Mayas so they can't really claim it anymore than I can claim something the Cherokee did because my Great Grandmother was 1/2 Indian.
    Me thinks Chromie has a whole lot of splaining to do!

10+ Year Old Account
    That is so fucking stupid.

You can't "steal" a cooking technique. I mean, are Mexicans suddenly deprived of the ability to make their own burritos? Cultural appropriation is the stupidest thing the far left has come up with, and they've come up with a lot of stupid shit.

And as a liberal, the far left can go fuck off with the far right.
    Putin khuliyo

10+ Year Old Account
    Honestly, this place is probably closing because their burritos suck balls. Being in Texas, we get these fancy little burrito and taco joints opening up all the time and closing within one to two years because their shit is always the same and flavorless. You cant make a chipotle burrito clone, charge and extra three dollars and expect me to come back to your place, its not going to happen. When you live in a Mexico border state, you have access to real Mexican food and your trendy, stainless steel tops with mood lighting while the new Kanye album blasting in the background isn't going to put your shitty burrito on any real competitive level.

Sorry for the rant, I just take my Mexican food extremely seriously.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by belfpala View Post
    It's silly to begin with. Ingredients, techniques for using them, and even the result of all the effort is not something anyone can own.

Or, I guess we should disallow tomatoes and potatoes outside of the Americas, and if you want your scrambled eggs or omelet cooked perfectly, the French can now stop you.
    Use to be a nice Italian restaurant in town.

The owner was not Italian.

RAAAAAAAAGE! Everyone run to the tumblrs and the twitters! RAAAAAAGE!
    Putin khuliyo

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by atsawin26 View Post
    I remember when I read about college students crying about cultural appropriation on college campus cafeterias.

The best one was Vietnamese students complain about Vietnamese sandwiches being culturally appropriated from them and messed up by not using small French baguettes.

FRENCH baguettes....
    You realise France was involved with Vietnam for quite some time, right? Way before the USA started bombing their villages.

Deleted
    Anyone who talks about cultural appropriation is a racist. It's as simple as that. You can't say we live in a multicultural society and then say only black people are allowed this hairstyle or only Mexicans are allowed to cook this type of food or only this race can play this type of music. I was even reading an article about a white female author who had been attacked by the black community for writing black characters into her books. Apparently a white person making one of the lead characters in her book black is cultural appropriation and racist. NO the racists are those who say she can't do it.
    Can you imagine the uproar if a black woman in the street was verbally abused because she had straightened her hair or if a black or Mexican chef couldn't work in or run a restaurant serving north European style food? There would rightly be an uproar because anyone who complained would be a racist themselves. Multiculturalism has to work both ways though, it's just mainstream media is so afraid of being accused of racism by the political correctness brigade that they are afraid to call these cultural appropriation mob what they really are which is out an out racists no different from the likes of white supremacists. They are equally vile people.

We all stand on the shoulders of those that came before us. Who gives a crap what culture created what. Let's all enjoy it.

This whole identity crap hurts relations a lot more than it helps anyone. Please stop identifying yourself by you skin, sexual orientation, culture, or what ever other trait you can think of. You are a more complexed individual than the sum of any of those traits.

What you just described is intellectual property. Many top chefs and restaurants actually keep their recipes secret. For example, the head chef will mix the sauce in advance in secret before handing it to peons to cook.

Kind of like how every Chipotle cook knows the steps to cook their food, but cannot replicate the flavor which comes pre-made in pouches.
    No, it isn't. Cooking is an iterative process, and while you can certainly keep recipes a secret, someone else figuring it out is not actionable. Not telling other people how you do a thing does not make it your intellectual property.

- - - Updated - - -
    Quote Originally Posted by Dkwhyevernot View Post
    You realise France was involved with Vietnam for quite some time, right? Way before the USA started bombing their villages.
    You missed the point entirely. The Vietnamese "appropriated" those baguettes from the french to begin with.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    Nah nah, see... I live by one simple creed: You might catch more flies with honey, but to catch honeys you gotta be fly.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    They were doing fine until in a cheap bid for authenticity, they claimed that they peeked into the windows of Mexican restaurants to figure out what they were doing after those restaurants refused to share their recipes/techniques/secrets, and then tried to claim the supposedly stolen knowledge as their own. The whole focus on cultural appropriation is nothing more than an attempt to stir people into a frenzy, when the reality is that they marketed themselves as slimy business people and got bit on the ass when people decided that was something they didn't like.
    Welp, there we go then. They're ACTUAL cunts.
    It looks like this is more garbage from an Alt-Right point of view that wants to be triggered. Ironically, that's 99% of the people it happens to. It's all they talk about.

Quote Originally Posted by Noomz View Post
    Welp, there we go then. They're ACTUAL cunts.
    It looks like this is more garbage from an Alt-Right point of view that wants to be triggered. Ironically, that's 99% of the people it happens to. It's all they talk about.
    Only, if you read the article, they actually state they didn't learn that much peeking into the windows of the cooks, and instead one of them had to dedicate time to learning how to make the tortillas correctly.

Given the lack of any evidence to the contrary, I'm just going to sort your post into the "confirmation bias" category.

Doesn't change that what they claim to have done was pretty disrespectful and might reasonably cause people to not want to do business with them, but keep bending over backwards to defend them because oh god someone said "cultural appropriation."
    Meanwhile, feel free to keep stroking your ego because you think white people making burritos is the devil.