Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Thumbs down Uber in Croatia is mess

I find this interesting:
    http://www.24ur.com/novice/svet/hrva...-terminal.html

Croats first seized Uber taxi: inspectors ordered the carriage, sat in the car and directed to customs terminal.
    Croatian inspectors on Thursday suspended car driver from Uber in Zagreb due to violations of the law on road transport. This is the first seizure of a car Uber partners in Croatia, after paying over $ 100,000 penalty because of their undocumented status of its drivers.

On the Croatian Ministry said that during the control of public road transport suspended one Uber car drivers. This is the first seizure of a car Uber partners in Croatia, after paying over $ 100,000 penalty because of their undocumented status of its drivers.

Through Uber mobile apps are subscribed driving when the driver brought the them, they sat in the car, present and told him to take the car to the customs terminal where confiscated vehicles are kept. The car will be returned after the conclusion of the court proceedings, which will be initiated due to violation of the law in so far as it relates to the transportation of passengers in international traffic.

Uber in Croatia since the end of 2015 and the first year it operated without major problems. Inspection supervision has been strengthened following the protests of other providers taxi service in Zagreb. Their in-competent Croatian inspections are then each month, on average, punish between 50 and 100 Uber drivers. In addition to monetary penalties are subtracted temporary registration plates of vehicles Uber partners.

Uber has recently announced that it has so far paid about 2.5 million kunas (333,000 Euros) penalty because its drivers did not have the appropriate permissions to perform public road transport. Its drivers partner provides all financial and legal assistance.

The first car confiscation for Uber services in Croatia took place during the preparation of amendments to the Law on public roads, which would regulate business Uber in Croatia or the definitive banning what they want the rest of the taxi drivers.

Uber Croatia has approximately 1,500 partners drivers for the upcoming central tourist season but are still looking for around 2,000 drivers. They have more than 100,000 users.

So a american company will pay you a legal fee if a police gets you when you are doing the uber service for others.
    Now a wonder what happens if you go from other country to another now.
    Don't sweat the details!!!

I bet taxis have some strong unions in Croatia since it depends so heavily on tourism..

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mariovsgoku View Post
    I bet taxis have some strong unions in Croatia since it depends so heavily on tourism..
    Oh they do, they do. Strong bound to rob you. While uber costs like nothing compared to them.
    Don't sweat the details!!!

Quote Originally Posted by mariovsgoku View Post
    They don't. But you still gotta pay your dues if you want to operate a taxi service, which is why the costs are often so high.

Uber doesn't seem to care much.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Maklor View Post
    If it's anything like the rest of Europe it has nothing to do with the Unions at all.

The legislation has requirements for transporting people, companies like Uber try to bypass the legislation that Taxi owners has to obey (which is why it's 'expensive') most countries clamp down on Uber and tell them to follow the law, they refuse and end up giving up.
    ^this.....
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

This doesn't seem Croatia specific to me. Everywhere in Europe taxi services have to keep several requirements for public transportation, mostly insurances but in some countries there need to bo onboard alcohol tests or the condition of the taxi car is to be checked regularily.
    With Uber people can bypass these laws and hence offer their services cheaper, and while it often is a legal grey area Uber has been forbidden to operate in several european countries or parts of it.

That's pretty much the difference between a common law country like the US, where mostly everything is allowed until something goes wrong, and civil law countries like most of Europe where the legislative tries to foresee most complications and sets laws before something happens.

The Patient
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Maklor View Post
    If it's anything like the rest of Europe it has nothing to do with the Unions at all.

The legislation has requirements for transporting people, companies like Uber try to bypass the legislation that Taxi owners has to obey (which is why it's 'expensive') most countries clamp down on Uber and tell them to follow the law, they refuse and end up giving up.
    Taxi Unions lobby the government and governing bodies to make laws and regulations to maintain their chokehold on the transport market at the expense of the general population.

The process is called regulatory capture (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Regulatory_capture).

Unfortunately its quite widespread in the western world. My own country suffers from it and Uber is facing alot of barriers to establish a hold. I am not saying that Uber is perfect and that it should be given fully open doors to operate.

Uber like most multinationals will try to benefit from profit shifting and have its taxable income shifted to a tax haven like Ireland, like most multinational companies do, mostly harming European countries. They enter the markets, steal market share from incumbents with better services/products, but then fail to pay their due.

The OECD is trying to fight the problem but the questions involved are very difficult and complex (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Base_e...rofit_shifting)
    Last edited by demonyaa; 2017-05-26 at 03:27 PM.

I would LOVE uber IF and only if the sorted their shit out ... aka drivers payed tax and had insurance sorted, they did not here in Denmark and that's the reason the no longer can operate here, and that is a shame as the local Taxi companies sure could use someone to compete with.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Yunru View Post
    I find this interesting:
    http://www.24ur.com/novice/svet/hrva...-terminal.html

Croats first seized Uber taxi: inspectors ordered the carriage, sat in the car and directed to customs terminal.
    Croatian inspectors on Thursday suspended car driver from Uber in Zagreb due to violations of the law on road transport. This is the first seizure of a car Uber partners in Croatia, after paying over $ 100,000 penalty because of their undocumented status of its drivers.

On the Croatian Ministry said that during the control of public road transport suspended one Uber car drivers. This is the first seizure of a car Uber partners in Croatia, after paying over $ 100,000 penalty because of their undocumented status of its drivers.

Through Uber mobile apps are subscribed driving when the driver brought the them, they sat in the car, present and told him to take the car to the customs terminal where confiscated vehicles are kept. The car will be returned after the conclusion of the court proceedings, which will be initiated due to violation of the law in so far as it relates to the transportation of passengers in international traffic.

Uber in Croatia since the end of 2015 and the first year it operated without major problems. Inspection supervision has been strengthened following the protests of other providers taxi service in Zagreb. Their in-competent Croatian inspections are then each month, on average, punish between 50 and 100 Uber drivers. In addition to monetary penalties are subtracted temporary registration plates of vehicles Uber partners.

Uber has recently announced that it has so far paid about 2.5 million kunas (333,000 Euros) penalty because its drivers did not have the appropriate permissions to perform public road transport. Its drivers partner provides all financial and legal assistance.

The first car confiscation for Uber services in Croatia took place during the preparation of amendments to the Law on public roads, which would regulate business Uber in Croatia or the definitive banning what they want the rest of the taxi drivers.

Uber Croatia has approximately 1,500 partners drivers for the upcoming central tourist season but are still looking for around 2,000 drivers. They have more than 100,000 users.

So a american company will pay you a legal fee if a police gets you when you are doing the uber service for others.
    Now a wonder what happens if you go from other country to another now.
    I don't mean to nation bash but I feel like Croatia has a problem with corruption and, well...slacking when it comes to following regulations. Many Eastern European countries are like that though. Croatia is possibly one of the best ones at least.

Quote Originally Posted by Noomz View Post
    I don't mean to nation bash but I feel like Croatia has a problem with corruption and, well...slacking when it comes to following regulations. Many Eastern European countries are like that though. Croatia is possibly one of the best ones at least.
    Balkan Schlamperei (basically not giving a fuck) is a thing and everyone can be bought. I know it, I am a Croat who used to work for government bodies. Shit's corrupt, yo.

On the other hand, it isn't that much more corrupt than Germany, for example. Go high enough in ranks and you'll see "gifts" everywhere.

Same bullshit in Denmark. "The Taxi law" was their defense, which is something they themselves created to jack up the price.

I cannot fucking understand why it needs to be illegal for someone to pay you to pick them up in a car. I mean, seriously? This is what we've come? Absolutely ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by Ishayu View Post
    Same bullshit in Denmark. "The Taxi law" was their defense, which is something they themselves created to jack up the price.

I cannot fucking understand why it needs to be illegal for someone to pay you to pick them up in a car. I mean, seriously? This is what we've come? Absolutely ridiculous.
    There's a fucking good reason. It's a service and as such it needs safety standards, etc.

Next thing will be Uber financial services, Uber plumbing, Uber cooking. Paying taxes? lol. Paying for the necessary licences? lol. Why oh why does it have to be illegal? Gee, I wonder.

Quote Originally Posted by StayTuned View Post
    There's a fucking good reason. It's a service and as such it needs safety standards, etc.

Next thing will be Uber financial services, Uber plumbing, Uber cooking. Paying taxes? lol. Paying for the necessary licences? lol. Why oh why does it have to be illegal? Gee, I wonder.
    There already are safety standards on the driving itself. It's called traffic laws.

If you mean safety standards on the car, there's that, too. You can be criminally charged for driving around the roads with a broken or run down car, and this is perfectly fine. I'm not arguing in favour of car accidents.

Anything beyond that, though? Not needed. I'm perfectly capable of determining myself what standards I want as long as it's safe for the traffic itself.

Fair enough if we make a law where you can't call yourself a taxi without following the taxi law. Doesn't need a separate law though, just a regulatory body using the power of trademarks.

You do realize that the taxi law criminalizes a friend driving someone over, and then that friend driving the original driver somewher else afterwards - because that's an exchange that now required a license.

There is major issues with * just picking up people* if you do it for free it is fine if you charge any money for it you need to pay tax and have a insurance Uber do try to dodge both those. so yes there is a issue with it.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Balkan Schlamperei (basically not giving a fuck) is a thing and everyone can be bought. I know it, I am a Croat who used to work for government bodies. Shit's corrupt, yo.

On the other hand, it isn't that much more corrupt than Germany, for example. Go high enough in ranks and you'll see "gifts" everywhere.
    We've all got some manner of corruption and "leveraging" going on. THe easier it is to get away with it, the more it will occur.

Quote Originally Posted by Drungan View Post
    There is major issues with * just picking up people* if you do it for free it is fine if you charge any money for it you need to pay tax and have a insurance Uber do try to dodge both those. so yes there is a issue with it.
    The taxi law doesn't mention taxation. You should of course be taxed, given that you are a business operating for profit. This is covered under the tax laws themselves, and does not require a separate license to enforce.

There already are safety standards on the driving itself. It's called traffic laws.

If you mean safety standards on the car, there's that, too. You can be criminally charged for driving around the roads with a broken or run down car, and this is perfectly fine. I'm not arguing in favour of car accidents.

Anything beyond that, though? Not needed. I'm perfectly capable of determining myself what standards I want as long as it's safe for the traffic itself.

Fair enough if we make a law where you can't call yourself a taxi without following the taxi law. Doesn't need a separate law though, just a regulatory body using the power of trademarks.

You do realize that the taxi law criminalizes a friend driving someone over, and then that friend driving the original driver somewher else afterwards - because that's an exchange that now required a license.
    lol no it isn't. For something to be a business, it has to be periodical and include an exchange of goods/services. With your example, you only have the exchange of services, but it's not a regular occurrence.

You do the same thing for money, every day, and you've got yourself a running business.

If you work for Uber, Uber has to pay their dues. Right now they're a tax evading company that doesn't pay their employees social services and everything else that goes along being an employer.

And Cab drivers have to undergo some sort of safety checks. Your average Joe driver has no licence to transport people.

Uber has done an extremely shit job at researching their markets. The absence of US laws doesn't mean that Europe has to be as lax as the USA are. We have strict regulations in place to protect all parties from abuse.

Deleted

https://www.retsinformation.dk/forms...aspx?id=143491

That pretty much answers why it is illegal, and why we set them in place.

lol no it isn't. For something to be a business, it has to be periodical and include an exchange of goods/services. With your example, you only have the exchange of services, but it's not a regular occurrence.

You do the same thing for money, every day, and you've got yourself a running business.

If you work for Uber, Uber has to pay their dues. Right now they're a tax evading company that doesn't pay their employees social services and everything else that goes along being an employer.

And Cab drivers have to undergo some sort of safety checks. Your average Joe driver has no licence to transport people.

Uber has done an extremely shit job at researching their markets. The absence of US laws doesn't mean that Europe has to be as lax as the USA are. We have strict regulations in place to protect all parties from abuse.
    If you'd read literally 1 sentence of Danish law you'd know this is incorrect. Please don't talk about things you know nothing about.

A business is a business when you declare it to be so. ANYONE can create a personal business for any reason they choose. There are special types of businesses which can only be created under certain circumstances, though, but you can ALWAYS create a personal business. This is guaranteed within our constitution. You literally couldn't have passed 9th grade Samfundsfag in Denmark. I could probably find homeless people who know more about Danish business laws than you do.

Tax evasion is illegal in and of itself due to the tax laws. This does not require a special law to establish.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes, I have read it. I just disagree strongly with it.

This website lists the law. It doesn't provide justification for it. Can you read Danish? Genuine question.
    Last edited by Ishayu; 2017-05-26 at 04:36 PM.

Deleted
    Yes, I have read it. I just disagree strongly with it.
    I don't agree with all of it, but before we had it, it was a nightmare.