Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by God Emperor Trump View Post
    Aren't some BMW's and Mercedes built in the US?
    Yes, BMW also runs one of the Largest Car Factories in the US.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Calfredd View Post
    Oh yeah getting 24mpg is soooo nice. /s
    I feel bad for you if you think mpg is all there is to a vehicle that matters.

Quote Originally Posted by Allybeboba View Post
    There is a reason a pickup truck has been the #1 selling vehicle in the US for over 30 years.
    Then, apparently, we do not have a problem, since European car manufacturers aren't really into pickups. I'm not even sure if they might not have the odd pickup in their lineup, but it certainly is not their bread and butter.
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.

There is a reason a pickup truck has been the #1 selling vehicle in the US for over 30 years.
    Right but you're talking about different things. How many people who buy trucks/SUVs actually need them for their intended purpose/capabilities? Not 100%, I can guarantee you that.

Quote Originally Posted by God Emperor Trump
    Aren't some BMW's and Mercedes built in the US?
    Most autos from foreign companies (BMW, Hyundai, etc) are actually built in the US. As mentioned, BMW's largest plant is in South Carolina. I think all of Hyundai's US plants are in the South, as are most of the German ones. You know, states that heavily favored Trump.

So basically Trump is being antagonistic to companies that are providing hundreds of thousands of American jobs for no real reason. There is no import tax if the cars are made here. Possibly on some components, but again as stated earlier its absurd to focus on foreign auto companies for this as domestic manufacturers like GM have several parts production plants in Mexico.

Quote Originally Posted by want my Slimjim
    For people who do a lot of commuting its a big fucking factor. Its... its almost like people have different priorities for vehicles based on their personal needs.

Trump wants Germany to sell more American cars.

But whenever I see an American car I just laugh and walk down the road to Audi, BMW and Mercedes.

The really funny thing though is, Americans think the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    Conspicuous consumption.

Oh, sorry. Don't let me interrupt your rant about how it's demonstrative of American masculinity or what the fuck ever.
    Me thinks someone is feeling a little inferior when compared to the might of the US. One can't blame the US on that now can we?

Part of the reason why trucks have been the #1 selling vehicle in the US for nearly four decades is because many Americans are do it yourselfers and trucks can get that job done without have to resort to renting one. We use the for recreation. I go camping quite often with mine. I camped as a child with my father. I used to race dirt bikes, how did we haul that bike and equipment? A true truck. My wife, daughters and I go hiking and fishing quite often. We go in the truck. The trail is too far of a bike ride to get to so into the truck the mountain bike goes.
    American trucks can be just as nice as a Mercedes or BMW and have all the bells whistles . Just as expensive as the middle tier ones too. They have come a long long ways.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by StayTuned View Post

But whenever I see an American car I just laugh and walk down the road to Audi, BMW and Mercedes.

I think it is quite the opposite. He simply wants an import tax on foreign cars coming into the US. Germany imports very little foreign cars(6.7%) when compared the America's 25%. No one expects Germany to import as many vehicles as the US. No other country could come close. The current administration said during his campaigning that he was going to put America first and now people are all in arms that he is starting to lay the groundwork for doing just that.

Yeah, the top 3 selling autos in the US are pickups. Then you have some Japanese Cars, a Ford and that is the top ten.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Depends on the type of vehicle. I love my Jeep. It's older, but awesome.

A sedan or something though? Hello Japanese automaker....

I think it is quite the opposite. He simply wants an import tax on foreign cars coming into the US. Germany imports very little foreign cars(6.7%) when compared the America's 25%. No one expects Germany to import as many vehicles as the US. No other country could come close. The current administration said during his campaigning that he was going to put America first and now people are all in arms that he is starting to lay the groundwork for doing just that.
    The fuck is that supposed to mean? Germany is the combustion car manufacturer of this planet. We have the highest quality interior and exterior, by far. It's obvious that we don't need to import cars when our customers don't want inferior cars. And it isn't as if US companies aren't selling any cars in Germany, either.

You even say that "No one expects Germany to import as many vehicles as the US", and then Trump slams Germany with an extra high import tax on cars regardless. The fuck? America first? To hell with you people, you just gonna bully other countries who perform better than you do until you alienate yourself totally from the world?

This isn't America first anyway. It's Trump first.

10+ Year Old Account
    Me thinks someone is feeling a little inferior when compared to the might of the US. One can't blame the US on that now can we?

Part of the reason why trucks have been the #1 selling vehicle in the US for nearly four decades is because many Americans are do it yourselfers and trucks can get that job done without have to resort to renting one. We use the for recreation. I go camping quite often with mine. I camped as a child with my father. I used to race dirt bikes, how did we haul that bike and equipment? A true truck. My wife, daughters and I go hiking and fishing quite often. We go in the truck. The trail is too far of a bike ride to get to so into the truck the mountain bike goes.
    American trucks can be just as nice as a Mercedes or BMW and have all the bells whistles . Just as expensive as the middle tier ones too. They have come a long long ways.
    No, it's because SUVs and pickups cost money to buy and maintain and is a function of 'look how much money I have that I can have a big car that wastes a lot of gas'. They are not practical or sensible vehicles for the majority of Americans to own given that most tend to rot in suburban driveways when not being driven poorly.

They're an artifice of consumer culture, nothing more. Very few people actually use them for what they are good for.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Quote Originally Posted by NYC17 View Post
    Depends on the type of vehicle. I love my Jeep. It's older, but awesome.

A sedan or something though? Hello Japanese automaker....
    Oh pwease, who? Mitsubishi ? Toyota ? Nissan? I beg you. They cry every time we release a new car.

10+ Year Old Account
    Oh pwease, who? Mitsubishi ? Toyota ? Nissan? I beg you. They cry every time we release a new car.
    German parts are too difficult and expensive to acquire for any sort of maintenance, Asian cars offer similar quality but tend to be cheaper to maintain and repair.
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

German parts are too difficult and expensive to acquire for any sort of maintenance, Asian cars offer similar quality but tend to be cheaper to maintain and repair.
    So they're cheaper, not better.

German parts in Germany as easy to acquire

Quote Originally Posted by Slant View Post
    Then, apparently, we do not have a problem, since European car manufacturers aren't really into pickups. I'm not even sure if they might not have the odd pickup in their lineup, but it certainly is not their bread and butter.
    Porche/BMW/Audi/Volvo and many more created SUVs just for the American market. In the US, many people use trucks/SUV hand in hand in their nomenclature. SUVs are even registered as trucks. Some SUVs are built on truck frames/unibodies.
    Hell, Japanese car manufacturers were smart enough to build plants over here just to build trucks so they could get in on the action. Even Honda made a truck.

10+ Year Old Account
    So they're cheaper, not better.

German parts in Germany as easy to acquire
    I enjoy eating, so no, I won't be moving to Germany any time soon.

And I said similar quality.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by want my Slimjim View Post
    Many of us drive a lot. I'll take more money that I can spend on other luxuries over a car that makes a micropenis feel slightly larger.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

I enjoy eating, so no, I won't be moving to Germany any time soon.

And I said similar quality.
    Similar. Exactly.

Not equal

While I personally have not worked on a German vehicle I have heard they are notoriously difficult to work on. Japanese are a breeze to work on. I have changed to brakes on a couple and done the ignition work on one. Each time it was pretty damn simple. A hell of a lot easier than my Ford I must say.

10+ Year Old Account
    While I personally have not worked on a German vehicle I have heard they are notoriously difficult to work on. Japanese are a breeze to work on. I have changed to brakes on a couple and done the ignition work on one. Each time it was pretty damn simple. A hell of a lot easier than my Ford I must say.
    Oh, you're a mechanic. That explains a lot.

- - - Updated - - -

Similar. Exactly.

Not equal
    Truth be told, if I had the inclination to go European I'd probably get another Renault.

Porche/BMW/Audi/Volvo and many more created SUVs just for the American market. In the US, many people use trucks/SUV hand in hand in their nomenclature. SUVs are even registered as trucks. Some SUVs are built on truck frames/unibodies.
    Hell, Japanese car manufacturers were smart enough to build plants over here just to build trucks so they could get in on the action. Even Honda made a truck.
    No one is disputing that Americans are obsessed with trucks, the point is that most people who buy those fancy expensive trucks barely use them for their intended purpose and are only interested in owning them as a status symbol. Fair enough I suppose, but hardly something I'd expect from people always touting their blue collar bona fides.