Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by EternalBany View Post
    Same with wow, when wow was in vanilla everything was plausible and felt just right in this context, but when blizzard switch to high fantasy in TBC, with lazers and shit..well..same result
    Allow me to give in to one of my pet peeves for a second. Warcraft was always high fantasy. High fantasy is simply fantasy set in a fictional universe as opposed to our own.

I think people give the aspects too much credit. They are the custodians of their element on Azeroth, not the outright gods of it. As for why we can survive against such powerful enemies, I chalk that up to a combination of incredibly powerful magical armour, spells and the elemental Spirit of Life each of us is imbued with.

We are no ordinary fantasy heroes. Most Warcraft heroes are demigods in their own right.
    Garrosh did nothing wrong.
    #MakeTheHordeGreatAgain

Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Frumpy Frumpy Frak View Post
    Allow me to give in to one of my pet peeves for a second. Warcraft was always high fantasy. High fantasy is simply fantasy set in a fictional universe as opposed to our own.

I think people give the aspects too much credit. They are the custodians of their element on Azeroth, not the outright gods of it. As for why we can survive against such powerful enemies, I chalk that up to a combination of incredibly powerful magical armour, spells and the elemental Spirit of Life each of us is imbued with.

We are no ordinary fantasy heroes. Most Warcraft heroes are demigods in their own right.
    Agreed. Even in the Demon Hunter starting zone, if you choose to sacrifice yourself over Sevis, Illidan himself even mentions you having an immortal soul and to quickly get back to your corpse to finish his mission. The story is set around your character doing all these impressive things time after time, ofc we're going to be a Mary Sue at this point, look at Tirion in WOTLK, vs Tirion in Legion, eventually some things had to give and Paladin's are the new Tirion. I'm sure Dadgar's time is coming too.

alextrasza fought him head on. in cataclysm when Alextrasza challeneged Deathwing in a duel she said that she'd take deathwing down like how she took down Malygos.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by reckoniize View Post
    agreed. Even in the demon hunter starting zone, if you choose to sacrifice yourself over sevis, illidan himself even mentions you having an immortal soul and to quickly get back to your corpse to finish his mission. The story is set around your character doing all these impressive things time after time, ofc we're going to be a mary sue at this point, look at tirion in wotlk, vs tirion in legion, eventually some things had to give and paladin's are the new tirion. I'm sure dadgar's time is coming too.
    don't fuck with dadgar!!! He will fuck you up!!!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Flatspriest View Post
    The dragons such as Malygos, Ysera, Deathwing, are merely the keepers of their particular talents. They are the "best" of the dragons for it, but they are not gods, and there are others who are more powerful than they are/were. You also have to remember that Malygos was crazy and didn't know what he was doing half the time at least and thought he could defeat us easily when he wasn't doing all he could have done due to not remembering what he could really do.
    Malygos wasn't crazy. He was depressed due to the blue dragonflight being annihilated. But in the War of the Ancients books Krasus rescues eggs of the blue dragonflight to ensure their survival. Shortly after we go into Wrath of the Lich King and Malygos is sane again. His flight is in bigger numbers again.

Malygos wanted to stop reckless magic use to stop the Legion from finding us. He wasn't insane, he was right. We were arrogant, and still are. Although you could say in Legion our arrogance is complemented by our Artifacts.

Quote Originally Posted by Hardstyler01 View Post
    Malygos wanted to stop reckless magic use to stop the Legion from finding us. He wasn't insane, he was right. We were arrogant, and still are. Although you could say in Legion our arrogance is complemented by our Artifacts.
    On the other hand, he was also rather arrogant, and quite short-sighted. The Legion was going to find us anyway, all he would have achieved is depriving us of a fighting chance.

I blame the humans in Dalaran for alerting the Legion to the fact that Azeroth wasn't destroyed in the Sundering and there's actually a lot of magic to eat here, and the Titan soul inside the planet to kill too.

Quote Originally Posted by TheLoadbearer View Post
    I blame the humans in Dalaran for alerting the Legion to the fact that Azeroth wasn't destroyed in the Sundering and there's actually a lot of magic to eat here, and the Titan soul inside the planet to kill too.
    The legion had a small presence on Azeroth, ever since the war of the ancients, they didn't need to be alerted.

7+ Year Old Account
    blizzard has never been able to write well
    i mean for yog we needed the help of the titan watchers to defeat him, but cthun we were just like "lawl get fucked bitch" but i mean lore cannon wise we didnt help kill cthun
    Quote Originally Posted by WowIsDead64 View Post
    Remove combat, Mobs, PvP, and Difficult Content

Quote Originally Posted by Combatbulter View Post
    The legion had a small presence on Azeroth, ever since the war of the ancients, they didn't need to be alerted.
    They did? I thought the Kirin Tor were being reckless with magic, sending it spiraling out into space, and the demons picked up on it? The elves had runestones to hide their magic. I thought that's how the Legion returned, with the first being Kathra'natir? Was it retconned in Chronicles?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by FelPlague View Post
    blizzard has never been able to write well
    i mean for yog we needed the help of the titan watchers to defeat him, but cthun we were just like "lawl get fucked bitch" but i mean lore cannon wise we didnt help kill cthun
    I'd say we had help from those dragons and only won because of the gear they gave us or something like that.

They did? I thought the Kirin Tor were being reckless with magic, sending it spiraling out into space, and the demons picked up on it? The elves had runestones to hide their magic. I thought that's how the Legion returned, with the first being Kathra'natir? Was it retconned in Chronicles?
    Northern Kalimdor was still crawling with Satyrs after all, the humans being reckless just made it easier for more of them to get to Azeroth.

Quote Originally Posted by Combatbulter View Post
    Northern Kalimdor was still crawling with Satyrs after all, the humans being reckless just made it easier for more of them to get to Azeroth.
    Oh, I see. I didn't think about the satyrs. But why was it a big deal that the humans attracted demons? Were the satyrs not in contact with the Legion proper, like dreadlords, felguards, doomguards, pit lords, etc?

Oh, I see. I didn't think about the satyrs. But why was it a big deal that the humans attracted demons? Were the satyrs not in contact with the Legion proper, like dreadlords, felguards, doomguards, pit lords, etc?
    The Satyr were most likely in contact with the legion, being part of it after all, if one of them died they could have just told the legion the recent updates as well.

The reckless use of arcane by humans merely gave them another option, another window for the legion to crawl in so to speak. And in the end they used this exact window, by creating the cult of the damned with a former council member at the core.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's not so much that magic will alert the Legion to Azeroth's location, it's that those reckless magic users would bring the demons to Azeroth. Like make a huge portal to allow large numbers of the Legion through. Although, Kazzak is the one who reopened the Dark Portal in TBC to kick off that invasion.

Quote Originally Posted by Manabomb View Post
    So my first option is the only rational option here: Blizzard can't write for shit, even in WotLK.
    There's a dime a dozen of you idiots always spouting that shit on the lore forum. We get it, you don't like the writing. Stop paying attention to it then lol

Quote Originally Posted by Aquamonkey View Post
    It's not so much that magic will alert the Legion to Azeroth's location, it's that those reckless magic users would bring the demons to Azeroth. Like make a huge portal to allow large numbers of the Legion through. Although, Kazzak is the one who reopened the Dark Portal in TBC to kick off that invasion.
    I see, so it just let the Legion know that there were other magi there in Dalaran that they could manipulate to bring the Legion there. Still, it must have reignited the Legion's enthusiasm for Azeroth a little. Otherwise, the satyrs could have just summoned a jillion demons there in all the time the night elves were preoccupied with the War of Shifting Sands.

Quote Originally Posted by Mirishka View Post
    Because gameplay, duh.

If these things just came out and did what they were able to do from the getgo, there'd be no WoW because everything would be dead.

Notice Arthas only insta-killed us all when he decided 'yeah, these guys are powerful. They'll do nicely!' He was toying with us, testing us, when the plain and simple truth is, he could have killed everyone in the room at will - Tirion included.

But that wouldn't make for a very fun game.
    Thats no excuse. You can write very powerful villains AND a good story at the same time.
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.

Madness card is inaccurate. The Magic Wars was Malygos coming out of his near comatose madness and seeing how rampant magic was, which was reasonable, seeing as the last type of city like Dalaran he had experienced was Zin-Azshari, where almost his entire flight was wiped out. He had every right to want to stop the magi. Us standing any chance was just bad writing, Tides of War emphasizes this.

I see, so it just let the Legion know that there were other magi there in Dalaran that they could manipulate to bring the Legion there. Still, it must have reignited the Legion's enthusiasm for Azeroth a little. Otherwise, the satyrs could have just summoned a jillion demons there in all the time the night elves were preoccupied with the War of Shifting Sands.
    The satyrs lacked the resources later on, they did try to beat the night elves and started the war of the satyr ever since then they were broken and not of much use, but were still around. Human magi in dalaran offered a different opportunity of creating a small army of caster willing to bring them in.

10+ Year Old Account
    For the record, we didn't kill Malygos.

The Red Dragonflight did. He toyed with us, then smashed the platform for us to fall into nothingness. Alexstrasza and her flight swooped in, and took him out.
    I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes
    Or should I?