Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Swedes face hosepipe bans after long dry spell: Climate change

Sweden's towns, villages and cities have been warned to plan for emergency water deliveries and hosepipe bans in a letter from nine Swedish agencies, including the Swedish civil contingencies agency MSB and SMHI.

Richard Wylde, a hydrologist at the Swedish Meteorological and Hydrological Institute, said that after more than a year of unusually dry weather, parts of Sweden could face water shortages even if the coming summer is wetter than usual.

"It's a relatively serious situation both for ground water and for surface waters," he said.

Swedish Radio has identified several municipalities which have already brought in hosepipe bans and made plans for water deliveries, such as Södertälje and Nykvarn.

Wylde said that what has made the situation so critical is that low rainfall over the winter failed to replenish lakes and rivers depleted by the preceding dry summer.

"What makes this exceptional is that we've had a very long period now without normal rainfall," he said. "It's really the length of time that this has been ongoing for now that makes it a very serious situation."

http://sverigesradio.se/sida/artikel...rtikel=6703527

Can we reverse this? Climate change could make all our countries harsh to live in if there's no access to water! It's not only countries in africa which can face water shortage!

10+ Year Old Account
    Watering restrictions and bans are really not a big deal, we've had them for years where I live because our water all comes from a single reservoir that dries in the summer if left unchecked but overflows every year in our winter rains.

Hose restrictions and bans are not a big deal at all unless you're obsessed with a perfectly green lawn.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Because fuck you, that's why.

I live in the US state of Wisconsin and we've just had the mildest winter I can remember: barely any snowfall compared to usual, temperatures high by Wisconsin standards for the time of year. We even had a 70 degree day in February, which is LUDICROUS.

On top of that, the spring weather patterns have trended to very heavy rain, and we're now almost in June only having had a handful of warm days this year.

A single year is certainly not a good datapoint. The weather and temperature in the local area has been very unusual for this state, though, to put it mildly.

7+ Year Old Account
    Temperature increase means precipitation will generally go up over 30 degrees latitude such as in Northern Europe. But there would be occasional dry spells regardless of whether the climate is cooling or warming.

Deleted
    Really? Water shortages when you live almost next to landglaciers? This is not Califorania ffs...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Rilch View Post
    Really? Water shortages when you live almost next to landglaciers? This is not Califorania ffs...
    you don't extract water from glaciers =/

come on man

That's like saying how can California have a drought when it borders the ocean

7+ Year Old Account
    This is not Califorania ffs...
    There is no drought. Snowpack is good, reservoirs at historical average on balance.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by PrimaryColor View Post
    There is no drought. Snowpack is good, reservoirs at historical average on balance.
    Quote Originally Posted by LongTimeCreeper View Post
    That's like saying how can California have a drought when it borders the ocean
    Quote Originally Posted by Dobrogost View Post
    you don't extract water from glaciers =/

come on man
    What am I supposed to make of these? Pls tell me, I know I usually sound smartass, but I'm actually not too wise, just honestly want to learn things.

What am I supposed to make of these? Pls tell me, I know I usually sound smartass, but I'm actually not too wise, just honestly want to learn things.
    1) Most of California is not currently in a drought. Some areas are, but they are moderate at worst. source: http://droughtmonitor.unl.edu/Home/S...onitor.aspx?CA

2) California borders a large body of water, yet sometimes experiences drought. Just because it is near the water, doesn't mean that water is usable by people (drinking, etc). Same thing with glaciers. Which leads to...

3) You don't extract usable water from glaciers (Not sure what confused you about this post, seems pretty straight forward to me).
    Last edited by LongTimeCreeper; 2017-05-27 at 12:33 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by LongTimeCreeper View Post
    1) Most of California is not currently in a drought. Some areas are, but they are moderate at worst. source: http://droughtmonitor.unl.edu/Home/S...onitor.aspx?CA

2) California borders a large body of water, yet sometimes experiences drought. Just because it is near the water, doesn't mean that water is usable by people (drinking, etc). Same thing with glaciers. Which leads to...

3) You don't extract usable water from glaciers (Not sure what confused you about this post, seems pretty straight forward to me).
    May I ask for clarificatoins then? Honestly asking questions.

1) But didn't they introduce state-wide hoseban anyway?
    2) Yeah I know salt water is not really usable, which lead to...
    3) Melted glaciers are usable becaue they're not salt? Or so I've hear so far. Lately I've heard even United Arab Emirated wated to haul iceberg to their country for purposes of making it into drinkable water or something. How come glaciers wouldn't be usable?

May I ask for clarificatoins then? Honestly asking questions.

1) But didn't they introduce state-wide hoseban anyway?
    2) Yeah I know salt water is not really usable, which lead to...
    3) Melted glaciers are usable becaue they're not salt? Or so I've hear so far. Lately I've heard even United Arab Emirated wated to haul iceberg to their country for purposes of making it into drinkable water or something. How come glaciers wouldn't be usable?
    Glaciers have salt content but not as high as sea water. But it requires massive amounts of energy to turn glaciers into drinking water. It also takes massive amounts of energy to turn salt water into drinking water as well.

San Diego and Tampa have large desalination plants. But the Tampa plant requires large amounts of energy which is why it is next to a coal plant.

Gotta laugh every time there is a slight change in weather patterns, something that has happened countless times in the past and will continue to happen in the future, and everyone screams 'climate change'.

Here in Australia, our idiot governments believed the climate alarmists who told us we were in for never ending droughts due to climate change. They spent billions building desalination plants that convert sea water into drinking water. Since then we have had above average rainfall and in some parts flooding. Our dams are full and most of these water plants sit idle. Countless billions of dollars wasted. Alarmists made a fortune.

Climate alarmists are all charlatans and they should be treated with utmost scepticism.

We currently have +3 outside in my town here in Sweden. It feels... odd. The trees also started greening pretty late.

However, it's not the driest nor coldest May thus far.

I'm not sure what a hosepipe is? But water restrictions are pretty common in parts of the US.

The Patient
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PrimaryColor View Post

There was a drought, which brought forced conservation. Now that there's no drought people are still conserving, Which in turn is bringing increased water costs.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mafic View Post
    Glaciers have salt content but not as high as sea water. But it requires massive amounts of energy to turn glaciers into drinking water. It also takes massive amounts of energy to turn salt water into drinking water as well.

San Diego and Tampa have large desalination plants. But the Tampa plant requires large amounts of energy which is why it is next to a coal plant.
    Yeah, but isn't just melting glaciers much cheaper than evaporating sea water and then condensating it to get rid of salt? I mean assuming that glaciers got little enough salt to be drinkable? I always though glaciers were not salty? How did salt get there in the first place if that's true?

Herald of the Titans
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Drutt View Post
    I live in the US state of Wisconsin and we've just had the mildest winter I can remember: barely any snowfall compared to usual, temperatures high by Wisconsin standards for the time of year. We even had a 70 degree day in February, which is LUDICROUS.

On top of that, the spring weather patterns have trended to very heavy rain, and we're now almost in June only having had a handful of warm days this year.

A single year is certainly not a good datapoint. The weather and temperature in the local area has been very unusual for this state, though, to put it mildly.
    We didn't have a lot of snow. However, last years winter and the year before where much milder then this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Drutt View Post

Weather does change. Here in California we got drenched this winter. We just had more rain this morning. Its been unusually cold as well. He haven't seen 70 in 3 days.
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.

I couldn't deal. I like my lawn, I put a lot of work into my lawn !
    Dragonflight Summary, "Because friendship is magic"