10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    B-b-baaaaaka!

Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    B-b-baaaaaka!

Fairy Tail chapter 537:
    ok. This was incredibly cheesy but I can actually stand behind this. I'm not even mad about this chapter. Mostly mad about the last chapter which had some incredibly bullshit nakama powers again, however this one despite the cheesiness was sweet.

Makarov res was complete bullshit though. No excuses there, typical FT.

15+ Year Old Account

same

Quote Originally Posted by goriq View Post
    Bahamut 08 - HOLY SHIT
    Which Bahamut?

Quote Originally Posted by Valyrian the Moofia Boss View Post
    Which Bahamut?
    probably the one that came out today.

Quote Originally Posted by Valyrian the Moofia Boss View Post
    Which Bahamut?
    probably the currently airing one, seeing as it released today.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by goriq View Post
    Bahamut 08 - HOLY SHIT
    While listening to the ED I was wondering what the hell you were reacting to from the episode, but once the post-ED scene started playing it all made sense

hunter x hunter is off hiatus next month.
    until the next dragon quest game comes out at least

bahamut VS 8 dat beard

OPM manga 75? "foul play" the newest one >serious face >it was just to pass the time
    Last edited by bals; 2017-05-27 at 03:52 AM.

I've been thinking a bit about why I rank series the way I do. I know it seems silly to many that I would worry about how I score them, but I view it as refining how I approach and analyze the things I consume; the exact number is not as important as the method. I was prompted on this line of thought because for some time Gunslinger Girl has been my only 10/10; I decided this gave a false impression that it was both perfect and the ultimate expression of my personal beliefs. Using that train of thought, I chose to graduate Mushishi, Haibane Renmei, and 5cm/Second to the 10/10 category as well.

These series made me realize that the main difference between between a 9 and 10 for me was a matter of personal significance rather than objective quality (although all of these are also high quality as well). The mixture of naturalism (Mushishi), impermanence (5cm/Second), beauty (Mushishi, 5cm/Second, Gunslinger Girl), suffering (Haibane Renmei, Gunslinger Girl), acceptance (Haibane Renmei, Gunslinger Girl), and mitigation of ultimate tragedy (all) effectively summarizes my worldview.

Anyway, bit of a late-night ramble coming from my near-pathological need to explain things.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Neichus View Post
    I've been thinking a bit about why I rank series the way I do. I know it seems silly to many that I would worry about how I score them, but I view it as refining how I approach and analyze the things I consume; the exact number is not as important as the method. I was prompted on this line of thought because for some time Gunslinger Girl has been my only 10/10; I decided this gave a false impression that it was both perfect and the ultimate expression of my personal beliefs. Using that train of thought, I chose to graduate Mushishi, Haibane Renmei, and 5cm/Second to the 10/10 category as well.

These series made me realize that the main difference between between a 9 and 10 for me was a matter of personal significance rather than objective quality (although all of these are also high quality as well). The mixture of naturalism (Mushishi), impermanence (5cm/Second), beauty (Mushishi, 5cm/Second, Gunslinger Girl), suffering (Haibane Renmei, Gunslinger Girl), acceptance (Haibane Renmei, Gunslinger Girl), and mitigation of ultimate tragedy (all) effectively summarizes my worldview.

Anyway, bit of a late-night ramble coming from my near-pathological need to explain things.
    It took me around 2 years to even decide to use 10 for anything. After that it was a slippery slope to adding more from 9. I went the same route, and the only difference between an 8 or a 9 being my personal liking of the show to make it a 10. I don't go as in depth on it as you though. I now have 20 unique series/movies as a 10.

Quote Originally Posted by bals View Post
    The best part of that show, hands down.

Quote Originally Posted by Zatheyll View Post
    It took me around 2 years to even decide to use 10 for anything. After that it was a slippery slope to adding more from 9. I went the same route, and the only difference between an 8 or a 9 being my personal liking of the show to make it a 10. I don't go as in depth on it as you though. I now have 20 unique series/movies as a 10.
    I totally understand the reluctance to give a 10/10. I've seen plenty of 10/10 episodes from shows that weren't anywhere close to that mark as a whole, but giving out a 10 to me has less to do with trying to objectify the quality and is more about the lasting impression coming from quality than the actual quality itself. There are shows that have quality that you can't argue with, such as Your Lie in April; the animation and art, the sound, the premise are all fantastic. For some people the execution fell flat despite looking and sounding gorgeous. For me, that show is, without a doubt, one of the most memorable series I've ever seen. Is it flawed? Definitely. It's not a perfect show, but I don't believe a 10/10 is a perfect score, despite the mathematical implications. To me, it's not the perfect score, but the best score. There are improvements to each 10 I've rated that I personally would've liked to have seen, but not so much to the point that it would have made the shows any more amazing in my eyes.

I still have a couple of shows that I fight the urge to rate 10/10 just out of personal enjoyment.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sj View Post
    I still have a couple of shows that I fight the urge to rate 10/10 just out of personal enjoyment.
    There's one show that I always wonder if I shouldn't have given it a 10, but I still leave it there just because I loved it so much, that being Mekakucity Actors. Don't think there are any 9s I have that I'm still aching to put up to 10 though but holding back on, though I haven't gone through my list in a while to fidget around scores.

I think it's a very interesting discussion regarding scores and how each person determines a show's score (how they score it, what each score means, etc.). Out of 103 shows completed, I've given out four 10s; these are of the highest personal enjoyment and score in the top echelon in my own categories: character progression, plot development, soundtrack, script, resolution, and some personal reflection (to a degree). A 10 isn't quite a masterpiece, rather so well-regarded that any flaw is minor and doesn't really impact the quality of finished product. Using Gungrave as an example, I gather the consensus that the first episode is poorly received and showing the show's """""ending""""" first was an annoyance. I found this to be egregious because, it's not the last episode...and didn't ruin anything for me (maybe because I played the game first). It's still an amazing tale of avarice, betrayal, and friendship. Then take Shigatsu, I had it ranked as a 10 for a long time, purely because of the resolution's shock factor. In hindsight, this was wrong for me and promptly changed my score. YLIA has merit, plenty of it; I listen to the soundtrack here and there and still give a thought to the characters too. It is not a masterpiece for me as there is serious character stagnation and an ending so foreshadow-able it's dumb.

One idea I don't judge on is individual episodes being 10s. This never appealed to me. I can make sense as to why it's done, but I don't do it. My tendency is to look at the finished product and for some reason, the thought process isn't to look back on one or two mundane episodes and penalize the score for it.

These series made me realize that the main difference between between a 9 and 10 for me was a matter of personal significance rather than objective quality
    This is where I sit when determining a 10, too. What did the anime do for me? Will I ever think of the characters again? Were there any profound or stimulating themes?
    Last edited by Schirmy; 2017-05-27 at 10:31 AM.

My tens are pretty much from personal enjoyment combined with the show not having real downsides in my eyes. All shows have their cons and no show is perfect but the ones I have listed ten don't really have any cons that annoy me personally.
    aside from pupa which is a meme 10. and maybe Clannad AS and S;G since I was pretty new to anime when I watched those. Kimi no na wa has a massive plothole that is really bugging me out which is making me consider dropping it to 9 and I actually did.

Actually, the lack of aspects that annoy me is probably very important for me when I give a show 10. A good example of this imo is Umineko. You all should know at this point how autistic I am about the VN. However I can't rate it 10 despite my personal enjoyment because of how much some of the stuff in the VN pisses me off.

10+ Year Old Account
    In my case, I give my scores based on how well executed it was, in case of an adaptation how well they managed to adapt it and if they had to stray away from the original how they did it, how much I enjoyed watching it, how much it made me want to watch the next episode when I finished watching the previous one, how much it managed to make me reflect about something, how much of it stayed with me even after finishing it, how well written the characters were, if it was actually trying to make a point, how the plot progressed, basically a bunch of extremely subjective things. Then I also take into consideration animation quality, art, coloring, consistency, soundtrack, pace, and some other more technical things that are also important in my opinion. While this might also be relatively subjective depending on who you ask, it's more objective than the previous points and sometimes you can clearly see how having a higher budget helps.

If I, personally, don't think that an anime had any alarming flaws, and I genuinely loved many different aspects of it, then it's up to 9. I try to save my 10s for those that, on top of what was previously said, had something unique about them, were somehow different, for those that actually try to tell you a greater message and change the way you think about things somehow. My scoring isn't exactly consistent though and I'd say it depends a lot on when I watched said anime, I feel like I used to relatively give better grades in the past.

@goriq I think you and I were the only people that gave Luluco an honest 10 and not a meme 10.

Also, I keep seeing this commercial on ESPN about finding your true age by examining your telomeres and it reminds me of SSY. :towel:

15+ Year Old Account
    When I first started watching anime, I was pretty anal about the way I scored things. Like a few of you I had my personal way of rating things, and and tried to be (mostly) objective. However, I did have a few rules like leaving the 10 rating for shows that were just my personal favourites of the shows that I actually rated 9.

However, over time, I've honestly stopped caring. Recently I've been looking over my list and picking out two shows I gave the same rating, questioning whether I could actually say I viewed them about the same level of quality (or even if they gave me a similar level of enjoyment). And it's hard. I think it mostly because of the quantity of anime I've watched. As my list grew bigger, I feel like my scores just became more and more meaningless.

Now, I don't really think about it too hard. I still have strong feelings about quality, I just don't give much weight to the actual score I give shows. I just choose whatever feels right.

Besides, looking at a number is always going to be a poor way to gauge someone's opinion about a show. It's always going to be more worthwhile to hear their actual thoughts about why they might have liked/disliked it, so at the end of the day rating systems aren't too important.

attack on titan 34 dat titan lounging around

recreators 8 fkn mc-kun. rip magical girl?

10+ Year Old Account
    Best anime:
    Don't sweat the details!!!