Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Sliske View Post
    People like other things.

I can definitely see the appeal of vanilla servers, and no doubt hundreds of thousands if not millions would at least try them, but for longevity, vanilla sucked and does suck.
    Must be the reason why private servers about Vanilla are still alive and kicking 12 years after Vanilla was released. It obviously lack staying power.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ababmer View Post
    Vanilla WoW was shit
    Well you got that right.
    Not much else.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's about time we dropped the myth that 'Vanilla WoW was shit, the playerbase has moved on, its all just nostalgia', don't you think?

People will enjoy grinding with the right motivation. Server community and effective hierarchy created a perfect storm of competitive motivation for progression within the world.

Now, no matter how fun your gameplay is, if you don't feel motivated to progress because there is very little or no hierarchy over other players who have less skill or less time/effort or both, then the motivation is reduced.

No community, no hierarchy - slow death of a good game.

Bit awkward watching private vanilla servers get bigger and bigger, flopping about in blizzard's face like a bad joke.

'Yeah the game we made years ago was better - we fucked up.'
    Nope, still nostalgia as fuel. Sorry but I would think it as an insult to go backwards. I loved vanilla and I had amazing memories from there but they cannot be replicated, nor replaced. Oh, and don't add the fact that many of these 'vanilla' servers has some sort of modding permitting things that weren't meant to be. As well as progression, there isn't any, as that chapter is over. There is no more 'wow' factor, 'ohhh' moments, for those are through and memories to most of us.

And I'm sorry, no community? Then I guess either you aren't part of any, or the right one. There's many groups of various sizes just working together.

Bit awkward watching private vanilla servers get bigger and bigger, yet not big enough nor legal. A hobby fueled on nostalgia of what some would call, 'a better time'.

'Yeah, the game we made years ago was better - we didn't fuck up, we evolved to progress forward instead of dancing on the tomb of good memories'.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Inb4 500 pages of

"I like Vanilla, blizz are just jealous of their first expansion"

"I don't like Vanilla and would not pay for it"

etc

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Heeresman View Post
    From Reddit, taken with a grain of salt:
    You're not allowed to name or link to private servers. And since this is a subject that invites to naming and advertising (which, without a doubt it OP's purpose for posting this), it's probably going to be closed. Kinda amazed it's still up tbh.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Akka View Post
    Must be the reason why private servers about Vanilla are still alive and kicking 12 years after Vanilla was released. It obviously lack staying power.
    *coughs*

There is vanilla servers, TBC servers, Wrath servers, Cata servers, MoP servers too... People like different things but in the end, you have to develop or wither.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Shammyrock View Post
    Inb4 500 pages of

"I like Vanilla, blizz are just jealous of their first expansion"

"I don't like Vanilla and would not pay for it"

etc
    But, I did like vanilla? Though, doubt they would be jealous of their own success. I had amazing time in vanilla, I'm just not fueled by nostalgia enough to go back. And no, I would not pay for it in one way or the other. If they brought such servers, I would want the option to opt-out and get a cheaper sub instead.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

10+ Year Old Account
    Nearby, preventing you from fast traveling.
    Wrath Servers are generally more popular. You can even get WoD's character models on them.

Quote Originally Posted by Akka View Post
    Staying power on an individual basis, quite obviously. Or are you really trying to spin the narrative that people that played vanilla servers 12 years ago are still playing them 12 years on?

I dont get why people saying that no one will play on Vanilla servers, just take a look at Star Craft 1, 20 years old game and almost as popular as SC2. Pretty much the same thing applies to Diablo 2 and 3

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordfish Trombone View Post
    You're not allowed to name or link to private servers.
    Fair enough, interesting stats though
    Those who do not stand with the Forsaken stand against them. And those who stand against the Forsaken will not stand long

15+ Year Old Account
    Wouldn't play Vanilla myself, but would have no problem with introducing it if there is enough interest (no idea if there is or not).
    Who am I that I have to tell people what they have to like or dislike?

Personally I would be bored to death after 30 mins, but saying that 'nobody would play that shit' is completely illogical and reeks of smugness.
    If nobody would care it wouldn't be one of the most common reoccurant topics.
    Last edited by Dangg; 2017-05-27 at 11:23 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Adlian View Post
    I dont get why people saying that no one will play on Vanilla servers, just take a look at Star Craft 1, 20 years old game and almost as popular as SC2. Pretty much the same thing applies to Diablo 2 and 3
    Starcraft 1 is now free, and didn't have a monthly subscription fee when it wasn't.

Vanilla WoW would be paying 15 dollars a month for content that would never, ever, ever change.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by Gehco View Post
    *coughs*

There is vanilla servers, TBC servers, Wrath servers, Cata servers, MoP servers too... People like different things but in the end, you have to develop or wither.

- - - Updated - - -

But, I did like vanilla? Though, doubt they would be jealous of their own success. I had amazing time in vanilla, I'm just not fueled by nostalgia enough to go back. And no, I would not pay for it in one way or the other. If they brought such servers, I would want the option to opt-out and get a cheaper sub instead.
    To be honest its more we've had so many of these threads and the arguments keep cycling round and round that by now nobody is saying anything new.

But this is an obvious and quite lazy bait thread so what do I expect

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordfish Trombone View Post
    You're not allowed to name or link to private servers. And since this is a subject that invites to naming and advertising (which, without a doubt it OP's purpose for posting this), it's probably going to be closed. Kinda amazed it's still up tbh.
    Normally they tend to be closed if a moderator reviews it as going the wrong direction. As well, I think most the mods have lives too, so give them a bit.

Deleted
    It's not even about nostalgia. For a lot of people like me that came to WoW in last years actually want to experience old lore and progression without playing on bugged private servers.

It's about time we dropped the myth that 'Vanilla WoW was shit, the playerbase has moved on, its all just nostalgia', don't you think?

People will enjoy grinding with the right motivation. Server community and effective hierarchy created a perfect storm of competitive motivation for progression within the world.

Now, no matter how fun your gameplay is, if you don't feel motivated to progress because there is very little or no hierarchy over other players who have less skill or less time/effort or both, then the motivation is reduced.

No community, no hierarchy - slow death of a good game.

Bit awkward watching private vanilla servers get bigger and bigger, flopping about in blizzard's face like a bad joke.

'Yeah the game we made years ago was better - we fucked up.'
    I am in 100% agreeance that Vanilla (and arguably BC and Wrath) were the best times in WoW's history because of the communities, whether it was servers or guilds. But just solely speaking content-wise, I do not think Vanilla servers are a good idea, and can't imagine anyone playing them for more than a couple years, which I guess might seem ok to some people? Would an MMO company be happy to make a game that had a set shelf-life of 2 or 3 years? How many times can you run the same content before you get bored? How long until AQ, MC, and ZG get boring?

I've never played on a private server and probably never will, but those would be the questions I would need answered.
    Problems with WoW: No server communities, too much cross-realm crap, too many raiding difficulties, guilds don't matter anymore.
    Fix it: Limit server transfers, merge more servers, reduce raiding to 2 difficulties (N/H, 10/25), bring raiding back to guilds again (limit # of cross-realm players in your group). #MakeWoWGreatAgain

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shammyrock View Post
    To be honest its more we've had so many of these threads and the arguments keep cycling round and round that by now nobody is saying anything new.

But this is an obvious and quite lazy bait thread so what do I expect
    Oh, that is true, the nature of the thread of this topic is quite baiting.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by igorberry View Post
    It's not even about nostalgia. For a lot of people like me that came to WoW in last years actually want to experience old lore and progression without playing on bugged private servers.
    See now, that is a fair view, better fuel than just, 'IT WAS BETTER!'

God, will these nostalgic geeks ever shut up about their legacy bullshit idea?
    War within is boring and lazy - beat me to it.

oh look here we fucking go again.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Aradur View Post
    God, will these nostalgic geeks ever shut up about their legacy bullshit idea?
    No, because these threads are made by people who have connection to the private servers (admins, mods, guild leaders etc). It's an ad - they want to get more players.

When Nost was 'trending' the pattern would be:

1) Someone with low post count posts a "vanilla is awesome" here
    2) They wait for the argument to start
    3) Then just pop in every 3-4 pages to name drop their favorite vanilla server
    4) Repeat until thread is closed
    5) Wait a week, post a new one.

These are just ads to get people playing. Nothing more.