Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Never in my life have I seen someone say or said myself "ZOMG look at that person! They bought that <item name> off the store!"

Now several times I have heard I wish I had the money to buy <store item name>.

I don't have too many store items outside of pets but my boo has many store pets and mounts because I like for her to have nice things that she likes.
    Me thinks Chromie has a whole lot of splaining to do!

Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Heffladin View Post
    He's not exactly wrong, but he's basing it off the wrong things.
    Hmm, ok. I am listening...

But as it stands wow has made exceedingly large amounts of money without the in game store, and they want to show investors that the profitability of the game isn't going down (despite the amount of players are), so how they do that is adding these things to the game for the more dedicated crowd to spend their money on.
    What you're essentially trying to argue is that Blizzard would have more money to spend on development if they were prepared to cut their profit margins. While this is true, it still fails to change the fact that more revenue should always result in more development budget than less revenue. While it's possible that an organisation may choose to not reinvest any revenue growth back into development, that is a poor long term strategy for maximising future profits. Given Blizzard's track record, I think it's safe to say that their strategy with WoW is to milk it for as long as possible to maximise their profitability, which means re-investing some of the extra revenue.

It doesn't take a genious to see that some rewards are taken from what would have been in game rewards and put in the store, with a last minute replacement filling that mounts spot in the actual game world (grinning reaver for example).
    You're quite correct. Any idiot can jump to this conclusion. It seems it does take a genius to see the bigger picture though: that said in-game rewards would not have been possible without the shop or unless they chose to cut some other area of content.

I would assume most raid guilds/leaders would think that if someone bought an item from the store that has purely cosmetic value they would think "This person has no fucking common sense in how to spend their money, why should I have them in my guild/raid?"
    Putting ass in assumption like a boss.

OT: I don't have a storebought item, I don't care whoever has them either.
    They always told me I would miss my family... but I never miss from close range.

Quote Originally Posted by Raelbo View Post
    Hmm, ok. I am listening...

What you're essentially trying to argue is that Blizzard would have more money to spend on development if they were prepared to cut their profit margins. While this is true, it still fails to change the fact that more revenue should always result in more development budget than less revenue. While it's possible that an organisation may choose to not reinvest any revenue growth back into development, that is a poor long term strategy for maximising future profits. Given Blizzard's track record, I think it's safe to say that their strategy with WoW is to milk it for as long as possible to maximise their profitability, which means re-investing some of the extra revenue.

You're quite correct. Any idiot can jump to this conclusion. It seems it does take a genius to see the bigger picture though: that said in-game rewards would not have been possible without the shop or unless they chose to cut some other area of content.
    Any idiot. why thank you for your considerate and in not at all way blunt way of saying this by the way. Of course they invest more back but really it's a balancing game isn't it? invest as little as possible (this can still be alot by the way) while profiting as much as possible. You can really just look at hearthstone for how they manage game economies right now - it's run like it is because it essentially is a monopoly. Whilst of course blizzard do have a great amount of quality to their work, I will not deny that, difference is with how they handle how ambitious they wanna be. They really have no reason to be very ambitious because they really have zero competition in the MMO market. as in for in example Hearthstone, where a increasingly small portion of the playerbase pays for the game, because it's by far the most expensive online card game out there. Yet it is still one of the most watched video games out there right now? Because there is no other really easily accessible card games like it.

And how can you possibly know that they would have had to cut some other area of content because of it? Like I want your sources.
    Last edited by Heffladin; 2017-05-26 at 04:45 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pendra View Post
    I've read a lot of people saying things like that on the forums...but I've never actually seen it happening ingame. The worst that I've experienced was people calling others dumb for buying them - but that's about it.

That said: I don't think people care about it anymore nowadays. Not really.
    Especially since due to the tokens, you can buy almost everything ingame with real money now without resorting to any ToS violation.
    We were pking players who purchased them.
    Don't sweat the details!!!

Quote Originally Posted by MakeMeLaugh View Post
    Only helmets. Really rare to find someone using them and when you do, people always say bad things about it.
    I use Hood of Hungering Darkness with the Firelands shaman mail set and I get nothing but positive comments on it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Yunru View Post
    We were pking players who purchased them.
    I bought two of the helmets for my bank alt, which was just standing around the AH all the time - because I wanted to see some reactions from players who'd get mad for no reason. Unfortunately, the outcome was more than disappointing.

Quote Originally Posted by Pendra View Post
    I've read a lot of people saying things like that on the forums...but I've never actually seen it happening ingame. The worst that I've experienced was people calling others dumb for buying them - but that's about it.

That said: I don't think people care about it anymore nowadays. Not really.
    Especially since due to the tokens, you can buy almost everything ingame with real money now without resorting to any ToS violation.
    Like I said, those were the only things I've ever seen people complain about, to the point of public ridicule. I think by now though, most of those extremists, the ones that I mentioned booting players or refusing to heal them, have either come to except that players will buy what they want and not care what others think, or.... have stopped playing altogether.

Deleted
    It's mostly this forum tbh. Rest of the world (of warcraft) has never really had much stigma about anything.

Who gives a fuck what people think, anyhow?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Justpassing View Post
    Putting ass in assumption like a boss.

OT: I don't have a storebought item, I don't care whoever has them either.
    It's not just an assumption. It's an educated guess considering I played during this time. I do not have any items off the store. I've been tempted to buy the runesaber a few times. But overall I have no interest in buying anything except maybe a level boost down the line.

10+ Year Old Account
    I suppose if every meal you ever eat is ramen you might be resentful of people buying digimal horsies, hopefully people have grown up some and don't get all uppity because somebody likes the pretties enough to buy them.

Deleted
    What is this nonsense? i recently got the mage tower skin and the did the rbg to get the red fiery glaives for my dh.. the fiery steed (sp?) cost 27£ and fit my transmog perfectly..

I have money.. i work.. i spend my money how i want..

I mean who really cares about this stuff 10-16 year olds with no money?

Anyone who would care are the people you want to avoid, if anything.
    Owner of ONEAzerothTV
    Tanking, Blood DK Mythic+ Pugging, Soloing and WoW Challenges alongside other discussions about all things in World of Warcraft
    ONEAzerothTV

Didn't see it being a thing for some time. Tons of people have store mounts and pets, hell, I'd buy one, but so far they all look like crap compared to some of the cooler ingame mounts. Damn, it's like 2 weeks till Order Hall mounts are released, the store crap doesn't compete in the same league as some of those.

the steed is lame, but i got me a fey dragon ^.^ I've never had anyone give me shit for it
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    Nah nah, see... I live by one simple creed: You might catch more flies with honey, but to catch honeys you gotta be fly.

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Dragonheart View Post
    I don't see the "stigma" anywhere other than here, MMO-C, in all seriousness.
    The only real stigma was the helms. Very few ppl gave a crap about the mounts and pets.

And most of the stigma was done by kicking those people out of LFR.

Not anymore

I bought a load of store mounts and pets with my gold bnet credit and i believe alot of other people did too so people now see them as gold bought mounts not just IRL money mounts.

Well thats how i see them anyway

Um, that video was something called SATIRE for the record, and no, this stigma never even existed in the first place

I actually have ThatRetardedHorse (and a few others) and I have 8/10M, I clear a 10+ every week, and I don't get carried on anything. Not what you would call a "shit player" to the average masses.
    Still wondering why I play this game.
    I'm a Rogue and I also made a spreadsheet for the Order Hall that is updated for BfA.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Cheese View Post
    It's been 7 years since the Celestial Steed came out. And I remember it being widespread opinion in raid guilds on my server that if you bought this thing you were a moron that had no impulse control. But now since microtransactions are widespread in games it would probably be more accepted.
    nobody whines anymore since how that they can buy them via in game gold (viva blizzard balance thingy ) all jobless basement dwellers can get them too so they are now "magicaly" ok with in game shop unlike before when 20 euro was to much for them to spend on vanity item.

which kinda prove the point that only reason they complained before was pure jealousy and douchebagery.
    Last edited by kamuimac; 2017-05-28 at 12:54 AM.