Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Arrowstormen View Post
    It means I consider anime and comics (and possibly also ballet and opera) to be artforms, while black metal, hip hop and A cappella singing is genres of music, modern art is a genre of art, tango is a genre of dancing (making it an activity really), and flatulism is a type of comedy (which itself is a genre).
    Anime isn't an animation genre? What are you smoking?

Hayao Miyazaki's stuff only, or...?
    What does it even matter?

If someone says he doesn't like fantasy movies, does it matter if he has seen fantasy movies directed by Peter Jackson or Jimbob McFuckface?

He doesn't like fantasy, why should he watch fantasy?

Think, believe, I don't know which applies to this situation yet.
    If I try something and don't like, then I know I don't like it.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Puupi View Post
    If someone says he doesn't like fantasy movies, does it matter if he has seen fantasy movies directed by Peter Jackson or Jimbob McFuckface?

Because Fantasy is a genre. Anime is a Media. They aren't comparable.

It's more like saying "I don't like TV series because I didn't like Gossip Girl" and skipping all tv series regardless of genre because you didn't like a Drama.

Anime isn't an animation genre? What are you smoking?

What does it even matter?

If I try something and don't like, then I know I don't like it.
    You know, until an year ago, I too thought anime wasn't something I was interested in, but for some reason I looked into it, and I realized there's so much of it and it is so varied with tons of different styles and genres, that I now wholeheartedly believe there's no one who wouldn't like any anime at all.

Thinking anime is a genre of animation and comparing it with fantasy is misguided. Anime might be a type of animation, but it certainly isn't a "genre" of animation. Animation, and anime as an extension, can be any genre that any other storytelling medium can be. Like another example you gave, I wouldn't have accepted "I can't stand comics" as a sensible statement either.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Dracula View Post
    Because Fantasy is a genre. Anime is a Media. They aren't comparable.
    Wrong. Anime is Japanese animation. There are sub genres within anime, but anime itself is a genre within the animation media.

It's more like saying "I don't like TV series because I didn't like Gossip Girl" and skipping all tv series regardless of genre because you didn't like a Drama.
    No, it's not the same. But if someone doesn't like Gossip Girl and doesn't watch TV series because of that, it's his choice. And he isn't wrong.

- - - Updated - - -

You know, until an year ago, I too thought anime wasn't something I was interested in, but for some reason I looked into it, and I realized there's so much of it and it is so varied with tons of different styles and genres, that I now wholeheartedly believe there's no one who wouldn't like any anime at all.

Thinking anime is a genre of animation and comparing it with fantasy is misguided. Anime might be a type of animation, but it certainly isn't a "genre" of animation. Animation, and anime as an extension, can be any genre that any other storytelling medium can be. Like another example you gave, I wouldn't have accepted "I can't stand comics" as a sensible statement either.
    So should I masturbate to hentai, because others say it's so good even though I didn't like it when I watched it? Maybe one day I will find some hentai that makes my weewee go crazy?

I see no reason to swallow shit I don't like. There are plenty of other platforms of entertainment I can take enjoyment from.
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.

No, it's not the same. But if someone doesn't like Gossip Girl and doesn't watch TV series because of that, it's his choice. And he isn't wrong.
    He's probably a fool though.

15+ Year Old Account
    He's probably a fool though.
    Not everyone is interested in digging shit to find gold.

Not everyone is interested in digging shit to find gold.
    That's your validation of somebody seeing Gossip Girl and then believing they can't stand TV? That's just a different wording of a belief that is based on seriously lacking evidence.
    Last edited by Arrowstormen; 2017-05-27 at 04:15 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    That's your validation of somebody seeing Gossip Girl and then believing they can't stand TV? That's just a different wording of a belief that is based on seriously lacking evidence.
    Yes. It's their opinion on their subjective point of view and they are entitled to it.

Yes. It's their opinion on their subjective point of view and they are entitled to it.
    They can say they didn't like Gossip Girl, and I will believe it's a valid opinion. Blanket statements like "I don't like TV-shows" I don't believe is anything but a misguided belief. Because if Gossip Girl is the only show you've watched before making that statement, it is a misguided belief.

15+ Year Old Account
    They can say they didn't like Gossip Girl, and I will believe it's a valid opinion. Blanket statements like "I don't like TV-shows" I don't believe is anything but a misguided belief.
    Oh the irony....

Oh the irony....
    Right back at you.

Quote Originally Posted by Valyrian the Moofia Boss View Post
    What's wrong with it being anime?
    a live show would been better, castlevania lore and story could make good stuff to see

Quote Originally Posted by kaintk View Post
    a live show would been better, castlevania lore and story could make good stuff to see
    Haven't played the games, but it seems like it would be super expensive. Not even live-action movies do magic-heavy stuff all that well yet.

From what I read, it seems the show gets four 30 min long episodes 'for the first season' if there will be another, who knows, but maybe we'll even get Synphony of the Night the animation. Or if we're unlucky, Castlevania 64 the animation.

Nevertheless i wont get into the whole 'liking anime/not liking anime" debacle, someone seems a wee bit narrowminded and it's just about as productive as arguing with a tree when someone's made up their mind about anime. It's their loss. Let them go and be grumpy elsewhere :3

ALSO: on the topic of Castlevania being made into a live-action bit... it.. would look really weird, a guy beating up skeletons, demons and succubi and straight up slaying minotaurs with a -whip-. The animated medium gives it a bit more leeway in that department, at least in my eyes.
    Last edited by The Offbeat; 2017-05-27 at 04:54 PM.

Show's out with a four episode season, kinda making it a movie in four parts. Haven't checked it out yet, but curious to know the thoughts of those who have.

I am.. well. not the best judge since they just took my first entry to the series and made my childhood fantasies of it fully animated.

Dracula was done just.. excellently, in that first episode. Mayhap a bit rushed but the 4 episodes given I can understand the constraints.

My biggest gripes are that there was no castlevania music, and that it only -started- the plot.. and no Grant. Other than that, I got what I wanted. Probably the best videogame adaptation I've seen.

10+ Year Old Account
    Currently on the second episode and so far this is by far the best video game adaptation i've seen in movies/shows. Seems like they went with the Symphony of the Night origin for Draculas reason.
    "when i'm around you i'm like a level 5 metapod. all i can do is harden!"

Quote Originally Posted by unholytestament View Post
    The people who cry for censorship aren't going to be buying the game anyway. Censoring it, is going to piss off the people who were going to buy it.
    Barret: It's a good thing we had those Phoenix Downs.
    Cloud: You have the downs!

I decided to watch it based on the strength of the Nintendo game alone. Going into it without much in the way of expectations, I think they've done a solid job of it so far. It was a surprisingly faithful adaptation of the games all in all, though it was missing Medusa Heads to really hammer home the nostalgia point.

It's a shame Dracula didn't get more screen time though, from what we saw of him he was shaping up to be one of the standouts of the show. Trevor on the other hand was almost entirely different from how I though he'd be. In the games he was usually depicted as being heroic, righteous etc etc - for a Warrior from God, his beligerent attitude towards the Church in particular stood out. It does however make him a much more interesting character because of it, and sets the stage nicely for further conflict as the story progresses.

I would have liked for a longer season, but I get the impression the 4 episodes we have are more along the lines of a pilot than a full season in and of themselves. The ending in particular made it clear they have plans for more, without spoiling it they're really just getting the meat of the story started at the season "finale". I'm looking forwards to more .

They have indeed renewed it for a second season I've heard.

Will probably check it out myself when I have a friend over on Monday.