Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Raybourne View Post
    If you want to talk about that, why are you so dismissive of Islamic theology being a motivator for terrorism?
    I'm dismissive? Eh? My stance is that extremism breeds terrorism. Regardless of the source. I also say that there are elements of the culture in the middle east and with Islam (more as a political ideology rather than a religious one) that breeds extremism.

Kind of seems like you don't have much of a point other than to exaggerate what practically no one has actually said (your first sentence). Really, is there any proof of this hyperbole?
    It's simple. Why does a guy who shouts anti-Islam slurs get labelled mentally ill, but someone shouting allah ackbar doesn't? They both kill people for ideological reasons. I can't be the only one who sees this.

The reason it matters is slapping the mental illness label prevents discussion into factors that led him to this behavior, even if he is actually mentally ill. Such as the rhetoric being used that is a lightning rod for wackos -- demonization of groups leads to violence against those groups. You'd think we'd have learned that lesson by now, but apparently now.

Quote Originally Posted by Lenonis View Post
    It's simple. Why does a guy who shouts anti-Islam slurs get labelled mentally ill, but someone shouting allah ackbar doesn't? They both kill people for ideological reasons. I can't be the only one who sees this.

The reason it matters is slapping the mental illness label prevents discussion into factors that led him to this behavior, even if he is actually mentally ill. Such as the rhetoric being used that is a lightning rod for wackos -- demonization of groups leads to violence against those groups. You'd think we'd have learned that lesson by now, but apparently now.
    The problem is still that you've picked out data points which match your ideas and ignored any others. You ignore anyone talking about white racist motivations and seem to pretend all of society just goes along with "hes just mentally ill". I just don't think it's as plain or black and white as you portray it. After all you needed to use hyperbole to establish your point. Not really a good sign.

I wish I were a woman so people would have done something when I had some nut screaming at me on a train platform this week.

10+ Year Old Account
    The problem is still that you've picked out data points which match your ideas and ignored any others. You ignore anyone talking about white racist motivations and seem to pretend all of society just goes along with "hes just mentally ill". I just don't think it's as plain or black and white as you portray it.
    Well sure it isn't black and white. I'm not sure why everyone has to be in agreement before my point is valid? Or do you think there isn't a tendency to pre-judge certain incidents as mental illness and not even address the rhetoric used that could have been a factor?

After all you needed to use hyperbole to establish your point. Not really a good sign.
    *snort* If that rule was applied evenly this forum would be empty. Why are you arguing with me on this anyway? Because I went to an extreme to make my point?

Well sure it isn't black and white. I'm not sure why everyone has to be in agreement before my point is valid? Or do you think there isn't a tendency to pre-judge certain incidents as mental illness and not even address the rhetoric used that could have been a factor?

*snort* If that rule was applied evenly this forum would be empty. Why are you arguing with me on this anyway? Because I went to an extreme to make my point?
    Sure. That's a good enough reason.

You go from hyperbole and exaggeration to "isn't there 'a' tendency to prejudice?" (asking for any single solitary incidence of something). I don't know what you think you're doing but it's not very convincing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    Jesus. Some mentally unstable fuckers live here, apparently I need to keep abreast of my local news because I just saw this story like 20 mins ago (on social media).
    Crazies attract crazies. >.>
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

Quote Originally Posted by Allerius View Post
    Meh, they fucked up and paid the price for it. People feel bad for innocents losing their lives to things outside their control, not a couple of dumbshit would be tough guys.
    ....They fucked up by doing the right thing and standing up for an innocent women who was being harassed. Do you understand how ass backwards your world is? Or are you just caught up in it and think that your nonsensical drivel is truth?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Tomservo View Post
    I wish I were a woman so people would have done something when I had some nut screaming at me on a train platform this week.
    I would have done the same thing, man or woman. Random targeted harassment is retarded and wrong no matter if it's against a black, white, woman, man, etc.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildtree View Post
    Maybe he thinks ISIS has a trademark on slitting someone's throat?
    /shrugs
    The anti-muslim threads that pop up here on a near daily basis, never forget to remind us the barbaric nature of ISIS style attacks. A weird case of mass amnesia that people suddenly can't make that connection.

It parallels the phenomenon of rapefugee threads that are a near constant. But then when someone posts a thread about maybe a techbro or someone else perpetuating a rape, the'res always a dogpile of "why are you posting that here". It's just more convenient to accuse everyone else of living in a bubble.

I'm just going to cringe if the investigators manage to find the suspects facebook history. Will it mirror the trends seen in Dylan Roof, and the Pizzagate guy. These whackos are radicalizing themselves on the internet. Then coming to the inner cities to live out some Death Wish fantasy. Even here we have posters fantasizing about running over protesters or yelling at some random hippies in Portland.

Oh good. I see we're back to labeling violence done by a conservative white dude as mental illness, but violence done by anyone else as a sign of something much broader that demonizes a whole group.

Any chance we want to talk about how the rhetoric used by the right caused this incident? Anyone? No? Ok. Bad mentally ill person bad bad.
    Exactly! It's like when BLM condemns all police officers for the actions of a few.

Its strange how the folks who say anti-Islamic sentiments feeds Islamic terror but wont acknowledge that Islamist terror is the largest factor feeding anti-Islamic sentiments.
    "It doesn't matter if you believe me or not but common sense doesn't really work here. You're mad, I'm mad. We're all MAD here."

Quote Originally Posted by Nathreim View Post
    This is why you dont ride public transportation it attracts the psychos.
    Yes, stop using the thing used by probably around billion others all around the globe. I hope you were sarcastic.

Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    The worst part is a lot of these people aren't mentally ill, so it has the added effect of stigmatizing people with mental illnesses for no reason at all.

- - - Updated - - -

Which has fuck all to do with anything, but keep trying to distract people from the issue.
    I'd offer a snarky response, but you have 34 fucking thousand posts on this board, so something tells me that you're one of those "gotta have the last word" types.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Everwake View Post
    I'd offer a snarky response, but you have 34 fucking thousand posts on this board, so something tells me that you're one of those "gotta have the last word" types.
    You shouldn't judge a book by its cover, but in this case you are correct.

What we need, I think, are medical treatments that burn out the "anger" neurons in a brain. Commit a crime like this and you get made permanently docile.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"

Just as a heads up, I fixed the title, since as pointed out, the article mentions nothing about ISIS.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jester Joe View Post
    Just as a heads up, I fixed the title, since as pointed out, the article mentions nothing about ISIS.
    Thank you, it was a RIDICULOUS title.

10+ Year Old Account
    Sure. That's a good enough reason.

You go from hyperbole and exaggeration to "isn't there 'a' tendency to prejudice?" (asking for any single solitary incidence of something). I don't know what you think you're doing but it's not very convincing.
    Alright, so you don't think I have a valid point. Fair enough.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Everwake View Post
    Exactly! It's like when BLM condemns all police officers for the actions of a few.
    Yes, that's also bad. But whataboutism is not a really great argument for anything.

10+ Year Old Account
    Clearly this is an indication that white people are culturally incompatible with the values of the United States, and we need to take measures to ensure that America is protected from this toxic, medieval culture. I propose an immediate ban on any entry into the west coast states from elsewhere in the US until proper vetting measures can be implemented to ensure that white extremists of this sort do not pose a risk to real Americans.

Infracted
    Last edited by Darsithis; 2017-05-28 at 12:11 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Deleted
    As i said, the bigger thread are right wing extremists in america.

15+ Year Old Account
    Boyfriend told me about this today. If I hadn't gone to goodwill with my boss, I could have been stabbed at the stabbing at the max lloyd center last week. Why does everything have to be so scary?