Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    No thanks, being crammed around in a city filled with a bunch of shitheads I don't want to be around sounds awful. I'll take country living with decent internet alllllllll day.

Quote Originally Posted by Seirith View Post
    Yes, we could have stayed someplace else, we choose the condo based on price and location. I saw very few rentals that were not condos, I did ask 1 a question and they never responded to me so obviously not giving them my money.

We didn't always drive, sometimes we walked but we had no idea how to use the public transportation, I've never used public transportation before. I've had a car since I was 16, I get in and drive, park in front of where I want to go and then drive home. I know people who live there are much better with that, but even walking was annoying when there is people all over the place going in different directions at different paces. Every place we went was insanely crowded which took away from how much fun things were.

- - - Updated - - -

Not sure where you live, but how much do you pay for your housing and how big is your house/condo/apartment? You may not have to use a car but if you live in a city, I am sure your housing costs are much more than mine, car included.
    You should always look up how the transportation works in a city you haven't been in when you visit because city driving sucks most of the time. But you learned, so there's that. And not being able to find anything good other than a condo in Toronto, it does depend on the time of year and who is doing the AirBnbs, but U.S. cities are pretty good about offering options other than downtown apartments and condos.

I want to live in Chicago and plan to move soon, and you can get decent places for 1k-1.5k. This is definitely going to be higher than the rents in smaller towns even with car expenses added in, but not by a ton. In the small town I've lived in for the majority of my life, you can get a 1-bedroom apartment for around $400-$500, maybe less (there are less expensive towns, but they are much less desirable as they are dangerous or far from civilization), and when you include the same amount for a car, it's really not that far off from what I'd be looking for in Chicago, then I don't have to deal with the aggravation of cars and driving, and I get all the benefits of living in the city, including MUCH higher-paying jobs.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    You don't have to be doing well off, you just usually have to have established credit and been with an insurance company for awhile. It doesn't even have to be auto insurance. It's a good idea to have renters or home owners insurance. We have two vehicles and they don't cost us that much.

Also, one of our cars is a hybrid and the other is a Chevy Spark, so they both use very little gas.
    When I said "you're doing well if..." I meant that you're doing well in the sense that you're managing your expenses well, not that you are well off financially. About auto insurance, you HAVE to have it, unless there is some workaround that I am unaware of.

About you having 2 cars that don't cost 400-500 a month, do you mean both cars added together don't cost that much? Did you make a down payment, or pay off large portions of the notes and refinanced? And how expensive will maintenance be if something on the car breaks (e.g. the battery(s))?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Phookah View Post
    No thanks, being crammed around in a city filled with a bunch of shitheads I don't want to be around sounds awful. I'll take country living with decent internet alllllllll day.
    Why assume they're shitheads? They're normal people, just like you. Being antisocial feeds into the social aggressiveness (i.e. people are generally more rude and cold to each other than they used to be decades ago) and the destruction of the feeling of community that people in the US (rightfully) complain about.

A certain level of urbanization is required but a mega city (read: mess) like Istanbul is pretty much unbearable. Unfortunately, my career opportunities lie in metropoles.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gulharum View Post
    Why assume they're shitheads? They're normal people, just like you.
    Because they are. People are shitheads and when there are more people - there are more shitheads. Also when there are more shitheads together, stuff tends to go shit.

There is this Finnish proverb "joukossa tyhmyys tiivistyy" which goes something like this in English: "In a group, stupidity condenses"
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

Depends on where you live I guess. I wouldn't want to live in some remote rural village where it will take hours to get to a big city.

Quote Originally Posted by Puupi View Post
    Because they are. People are shitheads and when there are more people - there are more shitheads. Also when there are more shitheads together, stuff tends to go shit.

There is this Finnish proverb "joukossa tyhmyys tiivistyy" which goes something like this in English: "In a group, stupidity condenses"
    Do you realize that forum is a group of people, are you saying we are all stupid? How old are you?

10+ Year Old Account
    I say it's best to try and live just outside of the suburbs of a big city; right where it's starting to become rural. All the conveniences of a big city, granted 30-45 minutes away, but none of the draw backs of a big city.
    I sat alone in the dark one night, tuning in by remote.
    I found a preacher who spoke of the light, but there was Brimstone in his throat.
    He'd show me the way, according to him, in return for my personal check.
    I flipped my channel back to CNN and lit another cigarette.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tic Tacs View Post
    Do you realize that forum is a group of people, are you saying we are all stupid?
    ......no.

A group of people with similar views create an echo chamber - which enforces their views and leads to them going further down the rabbit hole.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ovm33 View Post
    I say it's best to try and live just outside of the suburbs of a big city; right where it's starting to become rural. All the conveniences of a big city, granted 30-45 minutes away, but none of the draw backs of a big city.
    ^Yep, this.
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gulharum View Post
    Why assume they're shitheads? They're normal people, just like you. Being antisocial feeds into the social aggressiveness (i.e. people are generally more rude and cold to each other than they used to be decades ago) and the destruction of the feeling of community that people in the US (rightfully) complain about.
    Because they're normal people? Most people suck, ergo being in a place with a higher concentration of people = more suck. Pretty common sense really. I live in the boonies for exactly that reason. I have two neighbors who are nice people, and we help each other out, and I have my family. All the people I want to be around on daily basis. (not counting friends/ other family I don't see as much, etc)

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Puupi View Post

Puupi, slinging it like usual.
    /fistbump

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Tic Tacs View Post
    Do you realize that forum is a group of people, are you saying we are all stupid? How old are you?
    No? How is this hard to understand: A certain percentage of people are shitheads, ergo when you gather a bunch of people together you statistically are guaranteed to have a bunch of said shitheads. I choose to limit my contact with large groups of people.

Deleted
    I've lived a 2 minute walk away from around 200 shops/restaurants, theatre, all the bars and clubs, cinema, gyms and an indoor ski slope for about 15 years, I don't think I have the patience to live rurally anymore, especially since I don't drive and at the moment I walk 30 seconds to the central bus stop, or 5 minutes to the train station. I find the screaming groups of binge drinkers who pass through the alleyway behind my house to be more comforting now than the eerie silence of the country side.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Phookah View Post
    Puupi, slinging it like usual.
    /fistbump
    This forum needs and deserves a bit of free floating hostility.

Field Marshal
    7+ Year Old Account
    At 23, I would vastly prefer to live in a city. The convenience and always having something to do socially is very enjoyable to me. However, I can see myself moving back into a rural area or at least the suburbs once I'm older and find more enjoyment in alone time.

10+ Year Old Account
    Rural living is great, until you need emergency services of some kind. Or have a severe medical issue that requires driving yourself or a family member 4 hours to the closest treatment center. Like for weekly rounds of chemo.

The whole mythology of self sufficiency wears a bit thin at those moments.

I lived in both settings for long periods of time. Once I figured out the corrupt political structure in Chicago and had my car stolen and could barely get the cops to file a report yet alone investigate I realized city life sucks for having kids.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeezy911 View Post
    I lived in both settings for long periods of time. Once I figured out the corrupt political structure in Chicago and had my car stolen and could barely get the cops to file a report yet alone investigate I realized city life sucks for having kids.
    There are like 15 people getting shot every day in Chicago. The police don't care much about stolen cars I guess.

Now in comparison, here where I live - somebody broke into my car and stole my navigator. It didn't actually happen here in the countryside, but I filed it happening here due to....well, insurance reasons (used home insurance for it).

The terrible crime made the local newspaper as a major news story.
    Last edited by Puupi; 2017-05-27 at 07:30 PM.

Personally I prefer city living but there is a long term agenda of getting everyone into cities so they can be controlled as much as possible. Stack-and-pack housing. Public transport only. Wilderness corridors.

Quote Originally Posted by Dug View Post
    Both have their pros and cons

I prefer living in rural but close enough to urban to make frequent trips feasible. Like hour ish max.
    This is me as well. I vastly prefer living in rural/small town environments but it is nice being close enough to a larger town city that its not inconvenient to go there. Urban areas often have better stores and more things to do but the quiet and relaxation of rural areas suites me best.

Quote Originally Posted by ovm33 View Post
    chances are you're right on the edge of the good/great services internet ect

Deleted
    I've lived all my life on the countryside and probably the biggest negatives is being awaken up by the fucking birds, i hate the summer.

I think the ideal place would be to live in a rural place just outside a major city.