Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    I wouldn't say either are better, there are loads of pros and cons to both. It just depends on the priorities and choices for each person. Urban areas generally have higher crime. But (excluding bad area inner city) they also usually have better schools. It's nice being 5 minutes from work or a grocery store also in urban areas, vs. having to drive 1/2 hr or an hour each way. There are 2 hours + every single day that some rural people spend of totally wasted life driving. That's not a small deal. You can even take that further and take into account all the extra miles put on your car that cause wear/tear and depreciation, fuel costs, and increased odds of an accident while driving so much (especially in winter in the north). Urban areas are close to everything and are close to sports, movies, concerts, etc. In rural areas people are typically friendlier, but that isn't a hard and fast rule. In some rural areas it just turns into terrible cliquey gossip where anything that happens gets whispered around, because people have nothing better to do. Urban areas on the other hand generally have much higher costs of living. Good luck getting a fast ISP in rural areas also.

I've lived in both so I know all the pros and cons of each. That's just what it is, neither are really better. It's just what's more important to you. Is less noise more important than less of your life being wasted driving in a car commuting everywhere? Is a higher cost of living in an urban area worth being 5 minutes from work or a major sports or concert venue? So not only would I say that rural living isn't always better, I'd say it's very 50/50.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tumaras View Post
    It's nice being 5 minutes from work or a grocery store also in urban areas, vs. having to drive 1/2 hr or an hour each way. There are 2 hours + every single day that some rural people spend of totally wasted life driving. That's not a small deal.
    Commuting in cities, especially big ones, can take considerable time, too.

My sister used to have her job at the other side of Helsinki (which isn't even that big of a city) than where she lived. It took her one hour via public transportation to get to work.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

Quote Originally Posted by Phookah View Post
    Because they're normal people? Most people suck, ergo being in a place with a higher concentration of people = more suck. Pretty common sense really. I live in the boonies for exactly that reason. I have two neighbors who are nice people, and we help each other out, and I have my family. All the people I want to be around on daily basis. (not counting friends/ other family I don't see as much, etc)

- - - Updated - - -

Puupi, slinging it like usual.
    /fistbump

- - - Updated - - -

No? How is this hard to understand: A certain percentage of people are shitheads, ergo when you gather a bunch of people together you statistically are guaranteed to have a bunch of said shitheads. I choose to limit my contact with large groups of people.
    Define "shithead".

You are generalizing massive swaths of people whom you know virtually nothing about as shitty because it helps you justify the way you act and perceive the world. You tell yourself that people are shitty to justify the fact that you are antisocial. If anyone is a shithead, it is the provincial who generalizes those he/she doesn't know to justify his/her close-minded and pessimistic mindset.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Felfury View Post
    I've lived a 2 minute walk away from around 200 shops/restaurants, theatre, all the bars and clubs, cinema, gyms and an indoor ski slope for about 15 years, I don't think I have the patience to live rurally anymore, especially since I don't drive and at the moment I walk 30 seconds to the central bus stop, or 5 minutes to the train station. I find the screaming groups of binge drinkers who pass through the alleyway behind my house to be more comforting now than the eerie silence of the country side.
    NYC?

/10chars

As long as you have broadband
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

I could never live in a rural area. So boring

Quote Originally Posted by Incredibale View Post
    Personally I prefer city living but there is a long term agenda of getting everyone into cities so they can be controlled as much as possible.
    You are possibly one of the most paranoid people on these forums, how much weed do you smoke each day?
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Khaza-R View Post
    I could never live in a rural area. So boring
    It's not boring! I spent two hours today in the forest with my dogs. Saw a fox, lots of different birds, squirrels, a nope rope, many frogs, a male and a female pheasant.....and as a cherry on top: a huge pile of moose shit!
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.

Quote Originally Posted by Puupi View Post
    It's not boring! I spent two hours today in the forest with my dogs. Saw a fox, lots of different birds, squirrels, a nope rope, many frogs, a male and a female pheasant.....and as a cherry on top: a huge pile of moose shit!
    Do Finnish dogs love to roll in moose shit like Brit ones roll in fox shit?

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by AeneasBK View Post
    Do Finnish dogs love to roll in moose shit like Brit ones roll in fox shit?
    Nah, they just take a leak on it.

Fuck cities and everyone and everything in them.

10+ Year Old Account
    Weird how you typed always there in the title. Obviously you meant to type never.

Quote Originally Posted by Xinkir View Post
    This is why there's the suburbs. Get a bit of both.
    Some people would like a greater degree of self-sufficiency that's impossible in suburbia due to space and local government regs. Not to mention the busybody HOAs.

Quote Originally Posted by Puupi View Post
    I'm sure it's beautiful if you live in the right area. Don't get me wrong, I love hiking and nature. The rural areas by me are much less desirable

Hoof Hearted!!!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Wow, a question with only absolutes. The answer is no, rural is NOT always better than urban. There are positives and negatives to both kinds of living and neither is better or worse than the other, depending on perspective of course.
    when all else fails, read the STICKIES.

After 26 years in a ghetto...I say fuck the city.

Iam a city boy who lives in the rural surburbs and i must say i really do miss the hussle and bussle of city living.

Its so fucking boring out here its no wonder everybody is hooked on drugs where i live cause there is literally nothing else to do!

the best would probably be to have an appartment/condo/townhouse in the city and a rural house.

7+ Year Old Account
    Try living a rural life and you'll be fucked up without facilities you are availing in your urban life
    - says Ralph

Rural life in Australia is awesome..

Boxing Kangaroos, Deadly Snakes..

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aussiedude View Post
    Rural life in Australia is awesome..

Boxing Kangaroos, Deadly Snakes..
    I wonder if there is a safe spot on the whole continent....

Maybe on top of Uluru you are safe from all things trying to kill you?